Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alliance American Football League or the XFL

Myles

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

With that being said I never watch CFL and see little hope for the new leagues because how can there be with fewer people following the NFL? The NFL has become a jury room show for rules interpretations and less hard hitting and we all love to see smash mouth football which is being outlawed.

That would play into the AAF hands.   People typically don't just stop being football fans.   They find another league.   Either way, in the spring, football fans want football to watch.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

That would play into the AAF hands.   People typically don't just stop being football fans.   They find another league.   Either way, in the spring, football fans want football to watch.  

EXACTLY!

I am so disenchanted with the NFL these days...for MANY reasons.  This my impetus for looking elsewhere to satisfy my thirst for good old fashioned football WITHOUT ALL THE nonsense THE NFL IS SERVING ME.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

EXACTLY!

I am so disenchanted with the NFL these days...for MANY reasons.  This my impetus for looking elsewhere to satisfy my thirst for good old fashioned football WITHOUT ALL THE nonsense THE NFL IS SERVING ME.

I ignore most off the field stuff with the NFL.   I still watch it as much as I can.   However, I would welcome a spring league.   The AAF has a good start with good cities and some pretty credible head coaches:

Atlanta, Georgia  Georgia State Stadium 24,3332019    Brad Childress

Birmingham, Alabama   Legion Field 71,594    Tim Lewis

Memphis, Tennessee   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium 58,207   Mike Singletary

Orlando, Florida   Spectrum Stadium 44,206   Steve Spurrier

PhoenixTempe, Arizona   Sun Devil Stadium 57,078   Rick Neuheisel

Salt Lake City, Utah    Rice Eccles Stadium 45,807   Dennis Erickson

San Diego, California    SDCCU Stadium 70,561    Mike Martz

Other positions filled:

Charlie Ebersol, co-founder and CEO

Bill Polian, co-founder and Head of Football

Troy Polamalu, Head of Player Relations

J.K. McKay, Head of Football Operations

Tom Veit, Head of Business Operations

Hines Ward, Player Relations Executive

Jared Allen, Player Relations Executive and investor

Justin Tuck, member of Player Engagements Board Of Advisers

Also:

As part of its formation, the AAF announced broadcast deals with CBS Sports; the inaugural game and championship game will both air on CBS, while CBS Sports Network will air at least one game per week.[4][13]

The league's mobile app will offer live streaming of all games, as well as provide integrated fantasy games.

To me, it seems that they have their stuff in line the right way.   Not a gimmicky league like the XFL was.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

If what you say is true why then has every league failed? If the demand is there then rich people will provide it. 

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If what you say is true why then has every league failed? If the demand is there then rich people will provide it. 

What are you referencing with "every league"?

The XFL failed because they chose to make it more like WWE wrestling and not football.

The USFL was flourishing until they went head to head with the NFL.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

The XFL failed because they chose to make it more like WWE wrestling and not football.

Correct, where are they now? Bottom line. I never watched Arena Ball.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

The USFL had ownership issues in some markets too

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The USFL had ownership issues in some markets too

That is true, but they were doing well still.    They had good ratings and some top talent.   Trump messed it all up.

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I explained why they both failed already.   The AAF is not even close to arena football.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

The AAF is there to give players just shy of making an NFL club a place to develop further and earn a paycheck doing so. Some stars in the NFL of the future will have gone this route first, I'm certain.  For the fans there will be free live streaming of every game. And I believe Polian and the their team has more ideas to increase fan participation and enjoyment.

• Like 2

I hope they all succeed but I have little interest in watching.  I have Direct TV's NFL package because I don't watch some NFL games and if I don't have much choice the networks offer I find something else to do. It will be interesting how sponsors will react to ratings. In the meantime I'll stick with college and the NFL.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, King Colt said:

I hope they all succeed but I have little interest in watching.  I have Direct TV's NFL package because I don't watch some NFL games and if I don't have much choice the networks offer I find something else to do. It will be interesting how sponsors will react to ratings. In the meantime I'll stick with college and the NFL.

I would feel the same way except that the AAF will be in the spring.   I don't care for the NBA.   I only watch playoff NHL.   MLB is more checking the standings than watching too many games for me.   I will gladly welcome some football in the spring.  

56 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would feel the same way except that the AAF will be in the spring.   I don't care for the NBA.   I only watch playoff NHL.   MLB is more checking the standings than watching too many games for me.   I will gladly welcome some football in the spring.  

I much more enjoy NCAA Basketball than NBA

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I, too, think the AAF will do well also.   However, there is a 3rd pro football league starting and they are also targeting players that are not NFL eligible, and it is an invite only league (must apply).

http://www.pacificprofootball.com/

Don Yee's (Tom Brady's agent) league have Adidas sponsorship and strong backing of Ed McCafferey among others.  I'm going to start a thread on this.

So in effect, in lieu of a “free” education, this league is offerning college talent the chance to get paid. 

If it takes off this could get real interesting vis a vis the NCAA. 

Personally if I was the league, for the better players, I’d offer up a nice juicy contract “buying” a % of the player’s NFL contract if they do go on to be drafted.