Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne Question

Shadow_Creek

33 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i know Reggie is a volunteer coach for us. But is he also still working for NFL Network? just wondering

I'm not sure he's drawing a paycheck on the NFLN.

He may just be a visiting guest.      It's not clear.

I look forward to Reggie being a full-time coach with the Colts and spending less time on the NFLN.     He's not very good there.....     At least,  not yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure he's drawing a paycheck on the NFLN.

He may just be a visiting guest.      It's not clear.

I look forward to Reggie being a full-time coach with the Colts and spending less time on the NFLN.     He's not very good there.....     At least,  not yet.

Maybe Reggie is an intern?  That is how Reich started with the Colts in 2006. If so he draws a small check from the NFL.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe Reggie is an intern?  That is how Reich started with the Colts in 2006. If so he draws a small check from the NFL.

Hard to say or know...  I thought the Colts announced Wayne was a volunteer coach?    Didn't they use that word --- volunteer?   I thought so....

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hard to say or know...  I thought the Colts announced Wayne was a volunteer coach?    Didn't they use that word --- volunteer?   I thought so....

Yeah I think I remember that. Could be he is or planning to apply for an internship?  I guess Irsay could hire him outright later on if he chose to?

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah I think I remember that. Could be he is or planning to apply for an internship?  I guess Irsay could hire him outright later on if he chose to?

If I remember correctly (and I make no promises!)   I think Mathis followed this same pattern.   A season of unpaid internship.....    followed by becoming a member of the coaching staff...

So,  interestingly enough,  Mathis is listed with all the other coaches,  but his title is....   pass rush "consultant"....

Not sure why it's that instead of assistant OLB coach...    or somethig like that...?

And Wayne is NOT listed on the official list of coaches.    So, perhaps interns don't appear.    I don't know if Mathis was listed when he was only an intern?

My guess is Wayne will be the official assistant WR coach next season....    and will be on the official list of assistant coaches.      But that's just my hunch for what little it's worth...

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A season of unpaid internship.....

There are people that work in the NFL that don't get paid???  Seriously?  That blows my mind...

giphy.gif

How do the owners sleep at night?

I mean, it's probably not a big deal for Mathis and Wayne since they (hopefully) were wise with all those millions they made as players.  But I remember stories about young coaches trying to make it in the NFL working like 100 hrs/wk as an entry level intern...

giphy.gif

giphy-15.gif

If I had to work 100 hrs/wk as an unpaid intern for a Billion-dollar business like the NFL, this would be me after that first week:

tenor.gif?itemid=5139563

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If I had to work 100 hrs/wk as an unpaid intern for a Billion-dollar business like the NFL, this would be me after that first week:

tenor.gif?itemid=5139563

And there would only be about 400 other guys who would gladly give up a gonad to take your place, just for the experience. 

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

There are people that work in the NFL that don't get paid???  Seriously?  That blows my mind...

giphy.gif

I mean, it's probably not a big deal for Mathis and Wayne since they (hopefully) were wise with all those millions they made as players.  But I remember stories about young coaches trying to make it in the NFL working like 100 hrs/wk as an entry level intern...

giphy.gif

giphy-15.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5139563

I think I read somewhere that Reich was paid $400. from the NFLN a week for his internship when he was with the Colts. That was in 2006 so I am sure it's more than that now. 

I would think Irsay would compensate Reggie in some way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy-15.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5139563

I'm not 100 percent certain on this...  but that's how I interpret the expression "volunteer assistant coach".   

For all all I know there is a modest financial stipend?    I don't know.

Crazy Colt is saying Reich says he was paid roughly 400 a week when he was a volunteer many years ago.   Perhaps that's still the case.   I wouldn't be surprised....

On 6/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy-15.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5139563

One, I don't think there are any unpaid internships in the NFL.  Reggie, like Mathis last year is a Volunteer coach.

Two, what difference does it make if the NFL is a billion dollar industry.  If they have people who are willing to do an unpaid internship to try to get into it then more power to the company.

Three, if you agreed to an unpaid internship and to work the number of hours required to work why would you get upset?  If that is your reaction then an internship in the NFL is not for you and both you and the NFL would be happier.

58 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

One, I don't think there are any unpaid internships in the NFL.  Reggie, like Mathis last year is a Volunteer coach.

Two, what difference does it make if the NFL is a billion dollar industry.  If they have people who are willing to do an unpaid internship to try to get into it then more power to the company.

Three, if you agreed to an unpaid internship and to work the number of hours required to work why would you get upset?  If that is your reaction then an internship in the NFL is not for you and both you and the NFL would be happier.

One, is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.

Two, can be as bad as one.  It's the loneliest number since the number one.

Three, I'm sure every successful coach that started as an unpaid/underpaid intern had a moment just like my hypothetical reaction above, but they stuck with it and it paid off because they are now millionaires.  And notice that I didn't say I would quit, I just said that would be my reaction after the first week.  Usually after a week you get used to the routine.  I've done 100 hr workweeks before.  Anyone that looks like this after their first 100 hr workweek:  happy-businessman-working_1258-706.jpg  is either a robot-cyborg or they're having a mental breakdown.  haha

Four, I just think it's ironic (and maybe a little unfair) that entry level guys do the most work for the least amount of money.  You know the Billionaire owners aren't putting in 100 hr workweeks.

Five, six, seven, eight, who do we appreciate?  All the entry-level guys in the Colts organizations helping Ballard build a champion.  I hope Carly Irsay appreciates them and rewards them handsomely when the Colts become a contender again.

:hat:

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

One, is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.

Two, can be as bad as one.  It's the loneliest number since the number one.

Three, I'm sure every successful coach that started as an unpaid/underpaid intern had a moment just like my hypothetical reaction above, but they stuck with it and it paid off because they are now millionaires.  And notice that I didn't say I would quit, I just said that would be my reaction after the first week.  Usually after a week you get used to the routine.  I've done 100 hr workweeks before.  Anyone that looks like this after their first 100 hr workweek:  happy-businessman-working_1258-706.jpg  is either a robot-cyborg or they're having a mental breakdown.  haha

Four, I just think it's ironic (and maybe a little unfair) that entry level guys do the most work for the least amount of money.  You know the Billionaire owners aren't putting in 100 hr workweeks.

Five, six, seven, eight, who do we appreciate?  All the entry-level guys in the Colts organizations helping Ballard build a champion.  I hope Carly Irsay appreciates them and rewards them handsomely when the Colts become a contender again.

:hat:

Wow, you are usually a pretty good poster Lucky.  I expected a bit better response than this nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wow, you are usually a pretty good poster Lucky.  I expected a bit better response than this nonsense.

What was nonsense?  Was it the quoting of Three Dog Night lyrics, and then the continued number-theme throughout my post?  Sorry, your post format (One, Two, Three) got the song "One" stuck in my head while I was replying...  :dunno:  I tend to joke, even when I'm being serious.

Did you ever watch the documentary about the Modell-Browns from like 1995, before they left Cleveland, when Belichick was the HC?  That was pretty interesting because guys like Nick Saban were low-level employees under Belichick.  I think I remember Jim Schwartz saying he had to eat at the facility because he wasn't being paid enough to afford food, even though he was working like 100 hrs/week.

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What was nonsense?  Was it the quoting of Three Dog Night lyrics, and then the continued number-theme throughout my post?  Sorry, your post format (One, Two, Three) got the song "One" stuck in my head while I was replying...  :dunno:  I tend to joke, even when I'm being serious.

Did you ever watch the documentary about the Modell-Browns from like 1995, before they left Cleveland, when Belichick was the HC?  That was pretty interesting because guys like Nick Saban were low-level employees under Belichick.  I think I remember Jim Schwartz saying he had to eat at the facility because he wasn't being paid enough to afford food, even though he was working like 100 hrs/week.

Most of the post was nonsense.  You can call it a joke but you used it as a way to avoid responding to anything on one and two.

As far as the rest, so what?  No one forced Saban or Schwartz to do anything, they choose to do it because that is what was needed on the career path they chose.  So many people don't understand the concept of paying your dues.  You have to do that in just about any career you pursue.  You start at the bottom and you work hard and learn and move up.  Because guess what, no matter how much training you have had, no matter what type of degree you have when you get started in the real world you basically know nothing and have to learn.  Some of what you learn is how to be more efficient at your job so you don't spend as many hours a week doing it.  The "billionaire owners" as you call them don't owe these guys anything except for what they agreed to pay them for services rendered.

And as far as the owners not working 100 hours a week.. I would bet that many of them do.  I admit I don't know any NFL owners but I know plenty of owners of plenty of other businesses and they work harder than anyone they employee because for them the company is a 24/7 thing  they may not spend all the time in the office but when something happens day or night they are the one responsible for it.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Most of the post was nonsense.  You can call it a joke but you used it as a way to avoid responding to anything on one and two.

As far as the rest, so what?  No one forced Saban or Schwartz to do anything, they choose to do it because that is what was needed on the career path they chose.  So many people don't understand the concept of paying your dues.  You have to do that in just about any career you pursue.  You start at the bottom and you work hard and learn and move up.  Because guess what, no matter how much training you have had, no matter what type of degree you have when you get started in the real world you basically know nothing and have to learn.  Some of what you learn is how to be more efficient at your job so you don't spend as many hours a week doing it.  The "billionaire owners" as you call them don't owe these guys anything except for what they agreed to pay them for services rendered.

And as far as the owners not working 100 hours a week.. I would bet that many of them do.  I admit I don't know any NFL owners but I know plenty of owners of plenty of other businesses and they work harder than anyone they employee because for them the company is a 24/7 thing  they may not spend all the time in the office but when something happens day or night they are the one responsible for it.

Have you ever worked 100 hrs/wk?  I have.  I'm not saying these guys should be paid millions, or even six figures.  But if an employee shows they are willing to work 100 hrs/wk, the dues should be considered paid, and you should pay that employee a living wage so they can afford to have food in their fridge at home.

But you're right, if interns are willing to work 100 hrs/wk for peanuts just to get their foot in the door with the NFL, then that's exactly what the owners are going to pay them.  That's the way it is, but that doesn't mean I have to think it's right.  And I'm sure a lot of these owners have other business ventures they have to attend to probably daily, so many of them probably "work" well over 40 hrs/wk and the interns are probably at the bottom of their list of priorities.

I understand starting at the bottom, but I don't understand why the bottom is so low, especially when the top is so high.  I would hope that the more successful a business is, the better they treat their employees, from top to bottom.  But that's not always the case.  :(

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Have you ever worked 100 hrs/wk?  I have.  I'm not saying these guys should be paid millions, or even six figures.  But if an employee shows they are willing to work 100 hrs/wk, the dues should be considered paid, and you should pay that employee a living wage so they can afford to have food in their fridge at home.

And they do by promoting them and paying them more.  If during they time they proved they are good at their jobs.  If they prove they are not then then don't

But you're right, if interns are willing to work 100 hrs/wk for peanuts just to get their foot in the door with the NFL, then that's exactly what the owners are going to pay them.  That's the way it is, but that doesn't mean I have to think it's right.  And I'm sure a lot of these owners have other business ventures they have to attend to probably daily, so many of them probably "work" well over 40 hrs/wk and the interns are probably at the bottom of their list of priorities.

Oh brother.

I understand starting at the bottom, but I don't understand why the bottom is so low, especially when the top is so high.  I would hope that the more successful a business is, the better they treat their employees, from top to bottom.  But that's not always the case.  :(

Who says they treat their employees poorly?  Maybe Schwartz would have had plenty of money for food but he spent his money on other things because he knew he could eat at the facility.  Maybe he worked 100 hours/week because he wanted to finally become a HC in the NFL but there were other guys there who worked 40-50.

Anyway, you can respond and I will read your response but I'm done with this conversation because it's the same as numerous others... the rich guys don't do anything while the little guys do all the work.

13 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

And they do by promoting them and paying them more.  If during they time they proved they are good at their jobs.  If they prove they are not then then don't

Oh brother.

Who says they treat their employees poorly?  Maybe Schwartz would have had plenty of money for food but he spent his money on other things because he knew he could eat at the facility.  Maybe he worked 100 hours/week because he wanted to finally become a HC in the NFL but there were other guys there who worked 40-50.

Anyway, you can respond and I will read your response but I'm done with this conversation because it's the same as numerous others... the rich guys don't do anything while the little guys do all the work.

Look, I'm not saying all rich people are lazy and didn't earn their wealth, so don't put words in my mouth.  Please and Thank You.

I know enough business owners to know that most of them earn every dang penny.  Most NFL owners have earned the right to make these sort of decisions for their organization through hard work.  It's more than likely that most of them worked harder than I ever will to earn all that they now have.  (Maybe harder than you, too, but I don't know your life, if you've worked 200 hrs/wk you let me know)  I'm sure many of them had to put in their dues at the entry level early on in their career, maybe even more than 100 hrs/wk.  I don't know.  I'm not trying to judge anyone simply for being rich.

Didn't mean to paint every wealthy person with the same brush.

But when I look at a guy like our Colts owner... (he might be the exception since he inherited the Colts from his dad, but this has been in the back of my mind since the beginning of this thread, so maybe I've been a little biased) Jim Irsay was basically born into this, and yeah he kinda put in some dues when his dad was still alive, but it's not like he ever had to rely on $17,000 to get by for a year while putting in 100 hrs/wk for a company he didn't know if he was going to still be working for in a year...  ($17,000/year for 100 hrs/wk = $3.27/hr which is HALF of minimum wage... if you were interested in that sort of thing...)  And that's assuming that at least some interns are still being paid at least $17,000.  I hope that provides some perspective.

And I'm also not trying to say that people should be paid/given anything that they haven't earned.  I just have a moral obligation to asking someone to commit 100 hours of their week to your business for what amounts to half the minimum wage.  I've been there and it's HELL.  (Have yet to hear if you have been there since you conveniently dodged that question from my last post)

Just in case, let me tell you what it's like.  There are only 168 hours in a week, and if you spend 100 of it working, you're only left with about 9 hours/day to do everything else you need to do (eat, sleep, commute, do laundry, prepare meals/do dishes, etc.) and that doesn't leave much "free time".  You ever had to tell your mom you're in the middle of a 100 hr workweek and can't make it to Xmas/Thanksgiving/Mother's Day... cuz I have.  But you would know all about that if you had ever worked a 100 hr workweek, so I'm preaching to the choir, right?

In essence, the company is asking you to give up ALL of your personal time in the here-and-now, and MAYBE you get to enjoy SOME free time in the future... if you're not still working 100 hrs/wk as a HC... and if you live long enough to retire...

How many hours/wk do you think Carly Irsay is working in preparation for the responsibility of becoming an NFL Owner?  You think Jim is making her "earn" her way by working 100 hrs/wk for half the minimum wage, while guys that do all the groundwork actually do work 100 hrs/wk for literally half the minimum wage?  The same way he "earned" his way by doing roids and lifting weights with the players back in the 80s? ...

:funny:

I guess this has all been a long-winded way of saying that people should be as unwilling to accept circumstances that their employer would be just as unwilling to accept.  Fair is fair.

I'm not going to commit 100 hours of my week to something that my employer is not willing to commit 100+ hours of their week to...  Anyone that would is a fool.  :nutz: