Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The new colts.com is SLICK!!!/Questions and problems (merge)

Steamboat_Shaun

This is been years in the making but I know a lot of work went into rebuilding all the pages these past few months.  Pretty smooth launch. Props to Daron!

Right now, the forum isn't connected.  We just have a temporary template until Invision Power can figure out how to connect us to colts.com

Then we share their header and formatting

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

This is been years in the making but I know a lot of work went into rebuilding all the pages these past few months.  Pretty smooth launch. Props to Daron!

Right now, the forum isn't connected.  We just have a temporary template until Invision Power can figure out how to connect us to colts.com

I was wondering about that

10 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I noticed over in the right sidebars for "Popular Now," "Thread of the Week," etc, that the avis are squished. I did a quick inspect, and if I remove the "max-width:100%;" value, they go back to normal. Not sure how much of a priority it is to the team right now, but it'd be a quick easy fix.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I noticed over in the right sidebars for "Popular Now," "Thread of the Week," etc, that the avis are squished. I did a quick inspect, and if I remove the "max-width:100%;" value, they go back to normal. Not sure how much of a priority it is to the team right now, but it'd be a quick easy fix.

Awesome to have some expertise right here! I'll pass it on!

• Like 1

Definitely has a new look and easy to use tabs. I really liked the way they now have full, in depth bio's on the coaches and staff.

They also updated the roster with current positions and height and weights......here are a few notable changes:

Anthony Johnson is listed as a DE and down to 275 (down from 308)

Tomasi Laulile is listed at 6'3" and 300 lbs and still ran a 4.77 40....

Hassan Ridgeway is down to 305 lbs - no doubt to try to win that UT spot

Skai Moore is now listed at 6'2" and 230 lbs.....if so that would be huge for him to make the team at MIKE

Anthony Walker is still listed at 241 lbs, so no real change in weight, perhaps it's more lean muscle this year?

Ross Travis is now listed at 6'6" and 248 lbs, which bodes well for him as he continues his transition from PF to TE - especially with Swoope still not practicing.

T.Y. is FINALLY listed at the 5'10" that he was listed at the combine/pro day. Trivial I know.....

Chester Rogers lost the extra inch they gave him and he is an even 6'0" now....lol

Outside of Grant, the rest of the receivers (10) are all listed at 6'2" or taller - holy land of the giants in that meeting room.

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Font is horrible, hard to read.

5 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I was just about to say that. Go back to the calibri font. This one makes me feel like I need to squint like my eyes aren't focusing.

Put your glasses on. :thmup:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Hi, This is a temporary skin for us but, I will see what I can do

I like the font. It is easier to read, as the lettering is darker (bold).

I am accessing the site on my phone; so, I don't see the other format changes. I will log in from my computer later so that I could see the changes. 

• Like 1

Not to be a negative nancy but I think the new Colts.com website is visually confusing and unappealing. It looks like they put all their efforts into making the website look good when viewing on mobile devices only. Looking at the website on my Mac, information is laid out kinda confusing. The slider has no fixed width and gets bigger when making the browser bigger which results in poor picture quality of the slider. Same with the header. The picture of the 4 Colts players and the Indianapolis Colts text graphic gets smashed or stretched depending on how big the browser is. The top Nav bar (Schedule, News, Audio, Etc) disappears when your scrolled all the way up. Under the slider, all of the information is left justified and there's lots of open white area to the right. The news articles that are across the screen look good, though. Uses the space nicely. The Fan Forum graphic on the front page is HUGE. lol.  It just seems like the focus on the website is mainly for viewing on your phone rather than on a computer. It needs some work to get the information flowing and using the space on the page a lot better. I'd go back to the drawing board on desktop computer viewing and try to tweak it a bit to flow the information better. I am a designer for a graphic arts company and have a bachelors in graphic design so I just notice this stuff a little bit more. Hopefully it helps somewhat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah pretty cool, I haven't been on since Tuesday and I was like what happened LOL. At first I couldn't find our message board and had thought we lost everything. Anyway I like this, good job.

Yeah, I was panicking a little bit trying to figure out how to get here.  But I like the new digs quite a bit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Not to be a negative nancy but I think the new Colts.com website is visually confusing and unappealing. It looks like they put all their efforts into making the website look good when viewing on mobile devices only. Looking at the website on my Mac, information is laid out kinda confusing. The slider has no fixed width and gets bigger when making the browser bigger which results in poor picture quality of the slider. Same with the header. The picture of the 4 Colts players and the Indianapolis Colts text graphic gets smashed or stretched depending on how big the browser is. The top Nav bar (Schedule, News, Audio, Etc) disappears when your scrolled all the way up. Under the slider, all of the information is left justified and there's lots of open white area to the right. The news articles that are across the screen look good, though. Uses the space nicely. The Fan Forum graphic on the front page is HUGE. lol.  It just seems like the focus on the website is mainly for viewing on your phone rather than on a computer. It needs some work to get the information flowing and using the space on the page a lot better. I'd go back to the drawing board on desktop computer viewing and try to tweak it a bit to flow the information better. I am a designer for a graphic arts company and have a bachelors in graphic design so I just notice this stuff a little bit more. Hopefully it helps somewhat.

We have a winner.  More things that are bad.  Top Menus used be a quick link to the Message Boards.  No longer.  Now you need to hit the 3 dots, Fans, and wait on a page to load and then Message Boards or scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.  I will give it this.  It uses the new modern basic look like all newer web pages.  I hate it.  Looks like a 3 year old designed it because they couldn't think of a better way.  More clicks to do the same task, bulky design where the Home page seems to scroll forever until you reach the bottom.  Looks awful, but then again I hate all new sites designed for Mobile.  I think they all look awful.  Sorry, but Colts.com is no exception.  It is plane and ugly.  Font is ugly all over the place.  Sorry.  It does not appeal to me.  The previous site was nice.  This is not, but it is what it is.  It's the new style and I hate it but I cannot control it.  So I will live with it.

1 hour ago, Hooksalot said:

We have a winner.  More things that are bad.  Top Menus used be a quick link to the Message Boards.  No longer.  Now you need to hit the 3 dots, Fans, and wait on a page to load and then Message Boards or scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.  I will give it this.  It uses the new modern basic look like all newer web pages.  I hate it.  Looks like a 3 year old designed it because they couldn't think of a better way.  More clicks to do the same task, bulky design where the Home page seems to scroll forever until you reach the bottom.  Looks awful, but then again I hate all new sites designed for Mobile.  I think they all look awful.  Sorry, but Colts.com is no exception.  It is plane and ugly.  Font is ugly all over the place.  Sorry.  It does not appeal to me.  The previous site was nice.  This is not, but it is what it is.  It's the new style and I hate it but I cannot control it.  So I will live with it.

I honestly have had no problems with this new look. I am on a Laptop and not a phone. My Zoom is even at 125% and everything looks great to me.

4 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

From what I understood from Amber Derrow's AMA on Reddit the other day, this is league-owned, & will be the template that all NFL teams will use pretty soon, and a few were already using this theme prior to the Colts switching over to it (49ers, Seahawks, Raiders, Jags, & Redskins).

Having said that, it makes sense that the site is built for mobile first, then designed outward for desktop. And I'm not seeing some of the things you're seeing on your machine. I'm on a Mac as well, with retina display, and the images are crystal clear for me, everything's at 16:9, and they all scale down seamlessly. And the main nav doesn't disappear, it just drops below the players graphic.

If I have one criticism right now, it'd be that the home opponents component could probably be moved below the main slider & news block. Either that, or it could be streamlined a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

The primary objected with the new website is that it be responsive ie that the pages render well on a variety of devices.  It's very exciting to have a responsive website.

Couldn't agree more. It's light years better than the old site, which is pretty much immediately obvious.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Couldn't agree more. It's light years better than the old site, which is pretty much immediately obvious.

the forum has been responsive for a couple of years.  :)

I know a lot of people loved the way web pages used to be but, it's just not practical anymore.  Lots of people look at these sites on a bunch of different devices.  We need to move with the times.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

From what I understood from Amber Derrow's AMA on Reddit the other day, this is league-owned, & will be the template that all NFL teams will use pretty soon, and a few were already using this theme prior to the Colts switching over to it (49ers, Seahawks, Raiders, Jags, & Redskins).

Having said that, it makes sense that the site is built for mobile first, then designed outward for desktop. And I'm not seeing some of the things you're seeing on your machine. I'm on a Mac as well, with retina display, and the images are crystal clear for me, everything's at 16:9, and they all scale down seamlessly. And the main nav doesn't disappear, it just drops below the players graphic.

If I have one criticism right now, it'd be that the home opponents component could probably be moved below the main slider & news block. Either that, or it could be streamlined a bit.

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

The primary objected with the new website is that it be responsive ie that the pages render well on a variety of devices.  It's very exciting to have a responsive website.

46 minutes ago, Nadine said:

the forum has been responsive for a couple of years.  :)

I know a lot of people loved the way web pages used to be but, it's just not practical anymore.  Lots of people look at these sites on a bunch of different devices.  We need to move with the times.

Please click my link to show the points that I am making.  https://ibb.co/gPe2YJ

I agree, 100% that websites should be more responsive and more navigatable on mobile devices. I don't think you guys understand the points I'm trying to make on how the desktop website could look much more visually appealing. (Please click the link above so I can show you). For the record, the website looks amazing on my phone. However, the desktop version needs tweaked in my opinion.  @Steamboat_Shaun, they fixed the top nav bar so we're good there. Before, the Nav Bar would completely disappear when scrolled all the way to the top. I'm convinced that the layout their using for the desktop version is actually a copy to the mobile theme with exception to the header and nav bar for the most part. You can see this in my link above. When the browser is scaled down significantly you can see how much better the website looks. Hopefully this helps.

22 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Please click my link to show the points that I am making.  https://ibb.co/gPe2YJ

I agree, 100% that websites should be more responsive and more navigatable on mobile devices. I don't think you guys understand the points I'm trying to make on how the desktop website could look much more visually appealing. (Please click the link above so I can show you). For the record, the website looks amazing on my phone. However, the desktop version needs tweaked in my opinion.  @Steamboat_Shaun, they fixed the top nav bar so we're good there. Before, the Nav Bar would completely disappear when scrolled all the way to the top. I'm convinced that the layout their using for the desktop version is actually a copy to the mobile theme with exception to the header and nav bar for the most part. You can see this in my link above. When the browser is scaled down significantly you can see how much better the website looks. Hopefully this helps.

thanks for the pic.  Weird because I'm on a mac and that is not what I see in firefox, chrome or safari

I'll send your image on in.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nadine said:

thanks for the pic.  Weird because I'm on a mac and that is not what I see in firefox, chrome or safari

Yeah, it's weird. I just checked Chrome and it looks perfect. But when viewing in Safari, it appears to be a mess. That's why when I first checked it out, I'm like, there's no way that an official NFL webpage can look this dumb... lol

302832663_ScreenShot2018-06-01at3_07_31PM.thumb.png.b71baf9cad214516c6d6b566ee8ef3cd.png 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Yeah, I don't see any problems with Safari on Mac either. And it is NOT because I think Safari is the best thing ever, believe me. haha

Seems a little glitchy and slow.  I use the mouse-over, thread pop-up feature a lot just to know if I have an interest in clicking on a thread, as many of the titles are misleading or inadequate.  That function seems slow.

Maybe it will be worked out over time.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Not sure what your browser setting is, but that is not what the desktop site looks like. This is what I see...

The_Official_Website_of_the_Indianapolis_Colts.jpg

Here's a full page screen grab saved as a PDF, we're definitely seeing 2 different things.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Here's a full page screen grab saved as a PDF, we're definitely seeing 2 different things.

Thanks for the PDF. That explains my previous posts above. I didn't think to check Chrome or Firefox. I'll try to delete my cache/cookies and see if it changes things. I was really wondering why others weren't seeing what I was seeing. 

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

Thanks for the PDF. That explains my previous posts above. I didn't think to check Chrome or Firefox. I'll try to delete my cache/cookies and see if it changes things. I was really wondering why others weren't seeing what I was seeing. 

Yeah my first thought was that you were cached big time, either that or you were looking at it in IE6 LOL.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah my first thought was that you were cached big time, either that or you were looking at it in IE6 LOL.

Ha! No, viewing it in Safari. I deleted my cache and it looks the same. Oh well. Not a huge deal. I was just questioning the layout thinking that's how it actually looks. lol

26 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

LOL, I wonder how the site would look in Netscape! haha

(Yes, I know it probably wouldn't even load the most basic html stuff in Netscape)

Yeah, it's weird. I just checked Chrome and it looks perfect. But when viewing in Safari, it appears to be a mess. That's why when I first checked it out, I'm like, there's no way that an official NFL webpage can look this dumb... lol

302832663_ScreenShot2018-06-01at3_07_31PM.thumb.png.b71baf9cad214516c6d6b566ee8ef3cd.png 

The league says this is probably due to using an old browser. They only support the most recent two versions of any browser.

• Like 1