Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My theory on luck situation.

Trace Pyott

On 5/30/2018 at 3:28 PM, Myles said:

You are 100% sure?   But just in case, we have Brissett?   That doesn't sound 100%.     Looking in great shape is a big optimistic sign, but we cannot see through the flesh.   

We are all hoping for the best, but we are still waiting to see.   

If I was a betting man, I would bet that he will be back without any issues.   But I wouldn't bet my house.

He could 100% throw a football last October and has had no further surgeries/worked on his strength since then... so yes, I think it is safe to say he can absolutely throw a football. That isn't the big question. The question is if he can do it without consistent and nagging pain. 

It has been reported ( I heard it form Jeff Rickard when he hosted MTC with Pat Kirwan recently) that Luck's surgeon/medical team ordered/began a total restart from scratch of Lucks Rehab after he was shut down from throwing last November; just like he had another surgery (which he states he did not have, nor wants).  Beginning over he must go through something like these rehab phases-

PHASE I Initial
Decrease inflammation, reduce pain
Increase flexibility and normalize range of motion
Reestablish muscle balance (stability)
Prevent muscle atrophy
Ensure the restoration of proprioception

PHASE II Intermediate
Progression of strengthening
Further enhanced muscle balance
Enhanced dynamic stability

PHASE III Advanced
Agressive strengthening
Increased power and endurance
Initiate (more) functional drills
Begin throwing activites when indicated and tolerated
     Throwers ten program for instance (w/proper mechanics)
     Manual Rhythmic stabilization
     Plyometric drills
     Dynamic stabilization

Check off list before Luck begins a gradual interval throwing program (again!)

Satisfactory clinical exam
Pain free range of motion
Satisfactory isokinetic test results
Appropriate rehab progress achieved

This is just a very brief overview, takeaway style. The actual details are detailed, long, and tedious, both to read (us) and to go through (Andrew). Typical football interval throwing program is long and detailed as well. Here is one listed below-

https://www.drwaltlowe.com/media/files/page/Interval-Throwing-Program-Football_1.pdf

We do not know where in this process is. He has not even thrown a football, according to the team.  There's a lot of time, but also a lot more for Luck to accomplish, IMHO.  I feel there is little to no room for (any) setback(s), unfortunately. So let's all hope everything progresses well and Luck gets all of his drills/practice reps done in pre-season and is sharp and ready for game 1.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It amazes me how so many people who have never met Andrew Luck know so much about his health rather it be positive or negative.

ive accepted I have no control over the situation so I listen to what the Colts say and hope it’s true because it’s what I want to be true.  If it ends up being wrong and the media that is going yeah but is right so be it.  My life will go on just fine although I’ll be sad for Luck and the Colts.

All we can do is wait and see and hope for the best.  

But I know Andrew well.  He's my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

For those guys who didn't quite understand my analogy (I admit it wasn't the best  but I was half asleep) I will re explain what I meant. I was basically saying that if the season was starting tomorrow than luck would be throwing but it isn't, so they are taking all the time possible to get his body built up for the time when it is time to start throwing. I think they probably fear that if they start him too early he might hurt himself again so why not take it down to the very last second but still allowing him enough time to prepare to start game 1 of the season.  Some people might have taken what I was saying as pessimism but I'm thinking luck will be ok they are just being super conservative this time and want him In some of the best shape of his life when he starts throwing again. 

4 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

For those guys who didn't quite understand my analogy (I admit it wasn't the best  but I was half asleep) I will re explain what I meant. I was basically saying that if the season was starting tomorrow than luck would be throwing but it isn't, so they are taking all the time possible to get his body built up for the time when it is time to start throwing. I think they probably fear that if they start him too early he might hurt himself again so why not take it down to the very last second but still allowing him enough time to prepare to start game 1 of the season.  Some people might have taken what I was saying as pessimism but I'm thinking luck will be ok they are just being super conservative this time and want him In some of the best shape of his life when he starts throwing again. 

Fair enough.  The only thing I want to openly question is the part in bold type.   If the season were to begin tomorrow, Luck would likely already be on the either on the PUP (if he was put on it in training camp) or Injured Reserve (with hopes of being one of two designated to return) list.  They are not going to rush his recovery because of a game 1 deadline.  Luck mentioned he did this last year and suffered losing the whole season for it. Without throwing in a gradual and progressive throwing program leading up to full practice {and this process could easily take 2-3 months} , with real football throws against a live defense having taken place, there really is no other choice... unless you want him to suffer re-injury.  Right now, JB is our starter.  With a little good fortune, that may soon change.

8 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Reich somewhat eluded to the fact that doctors still have to clear Luck so I don’t know if he’d be throwing now if the season started tomorrow. 

I do agree that they waiting until the last possible moment to have him start throwing.