Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#2 receiver

TdungyW/12

Erick Decker is still on the market, he would be an upgrade to our current WR core and be a good #2 to TY. He’s reliable and can catch .... although he’s injury prone .... wouldn’t it be at least a good idea to kick the tires? What’s your opinion? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

No. Hes not the same player. Its pretty clear if you read the tea leaves that the Colts like the group we have now. Reich has gushed about the group on more than one occasion. We've had our chances to bring in a vet and haven't done so. Personally I like the 3 vets in Hilton, Grant, and Rogers. Along with the 2 rookies Cain and Fountain. I also think Ishmael will make the squad. We have a nice Tight end group with Doyle, Ebron, Swoope, Travis, which will be used heavily. And remember this O will make much greater use of the RBs in the passing game. Plus with the improved line I we will be running the ball more. All these things are why I'm not concerned about Decker.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

No. Hes not the same player. Its pretty clear if you read the tea leaves that the Colts like the group we have now. Reich has gushed about the group on more than one occasion. We've had our chances to bring in a vet and haven't done so. Personally I like the 3 vets in Hilton, Grant, and Rogers. Along with the 2 rookies Cain and Fountain. I also think Ishmael will make the squad. We have a nice Tight end group with Doyle, Ebron, Swoope, Travis, which will be used heavily. And remember this O will make much greater use of the RBs in the passing game. Plus with the improved line I we will be running the ball more. All these things are why I'm not concerned about Decker.

I agree was just asking community what they thought. 

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Agreed. If we keep bringing free agents in we will really never quite know what we already have. Trial by fire. 

• Like 2

This years receivers are going to surprise a lot of folks - fans included. However they line up, T.Y., Grant and Rogers are your 1, 2 and 3.

Ryan Grant, lets not forget, was signed to a multi-year 'starters' deal before he 'failed' his physical. He accepted CB's one year prove it deal with a solid skillset AND a chip on his shoulder...

This will be Chester Rogers coming out party this year. I'm not calling him Antonio Brown but I see those quick twitch, change of direction, body control, precision routes that break DB's ankles in him....

Here's the real kicker - Andrew Luck will be slinging the Duke to them! Luck makes all of them better because he can THROW HIS RECEIVERS OPEN by his anticipation.

As for the rest of the WR Corps I'd expect to see both Cain and Fountain worked in throughout the year. They'll both have big games at some point with thier ability to take the top off of a defense.....I see them as having Phillip Dorsett/Donte Moncrief type rookie years, 15-25 catches, 1-2 long TDs....

I'd love to see Steve Ishmael make the team as a Sanu type - big, strong, and good route runner who does the dirty work inside and underneath. However, with the presence of Hines the coaching staff may only keep 5 active receivers.

Most likely Ishmael and the 6'5 Ross end up on the PS. Hogan hasn't been cleared yet and could end up on IR or PuP as a way of stashing him for another year.

Just my Saturday afternoon musings....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, krunk said:

Decker sucked with the titans last year.

Although i agree that the Colts receivers outside of Hilton are unproven to say the least, hard pass on Decker. I would like to roll with the youngsters and see what they got rather than sign another aging veteran. Signing Deckers stinks like a Grigson move and i like to think we have moved pass that,

• Like 2

I think its not so important to name a #2.  We onow Hilton will get his reps.  But beyond that, in Reichs offense, it seems we will be more situational (which i like) with our receivers.  Im worried Rogers may get overlooked because of his size.  Especially since we just drafted 2, either of which might not last on the practice squad.

cuts are going to be interesting.  With the new faces and uncertainty at OL, CB, LB, safety, Luck's "situation", TE.....  heck, every position, it will be interesting and important who and how many are kept at each position.  This may be the toughest cuts we've seen here for years. Where do we skimp, where do we add more depth?

gonna be interesting.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He played all 16 games and had 54 catches for 563 yds with a 10.4 average.
Not bad when his QB was Mariota.

Those are pretty bad numbers when your QB is Mariota.. though kind of ok when your HC is Mike Mularkey.

Decker had almost twice as many yards when he had Geno Smith/Fitzmagic as his QB.

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

This years receivers are going to surprise a lot of folks - fans included. However they line up, T.Y., Grant and Rogers are your 1, 2 and 3.

Ryan Grant, lets not forget, was signed to a multi-year 'starters' deal before he 'failed' his physical. He accepted CB's one year prove it deal with a solid skillset AND a chip on his shoulder...

This will be Chester Rogers coming out party this year. I'm not calling him Antonio Brown but I see those quick twitch, change of direction, body control, precision routes that break DB's ankles in him....

Here's the real kicker - Andrew Luck will be slinging the Duke to them! Luck makes all of them better because he can THROW HIS RECEIVERS OPEN by his anticipation.

As for the rest of the WR Corps I'd expect to see both Cain and Fountain worked in throughout the year. They'll both have big games at some point with thier ability to take the top off of a defense.....I see them as having Phillip Dorsett/Donte Moncrief type rookie years, 15-25 catches, 1-2 long TDs....

I'd love to see Steve Ishmael make the team as a Sanu type - big, strong, and good route runner who does the dirty work inside and underneath. However, with the presence of Hines the coaching staff may only keep 5 active receivers.

Most likely Ishmael and the 6'5 Ross end up on the PS. Hogan hasn't been cleared yet and could end up on IR or PuP as a way of stashing him for another year.

I agree

I think we stand pat on our current WR line up

The first 3 WRs - are decent, and put at least in the top half (maybe right in the middle) of WRs groups in the league - With Luck throwing to them

TY Hilton is a known quantity, probably top 5 in NFL in talent

Other teams have to gameplan for him, and know where he is at, at all times

When healthy, and when someone throws a catchable ball to him, Rogers is a good player...... not top 10.....

But a reliable pass catcher with speed.......

I would say watch the highlight tape on Grant. This guy can also play..... very well...... good speed, good hands, good size...........    

With our rookies, this could be an exciting WR crew........ When Cain had a an actual QB throwing his way, he was awesome........   he has great size, and great speed.  Even bigger with Cain was his ability to separate from man coverage. By the end of the year i think he will be taking some snaps away from Rogers and actually become the number 2 WR.

I am not in love with Foutain as much as everyone else. I hope he develops.  When I see him play he cant seem to separate from lower division CBs.  He does a good job of getting contested balls but what does that look like in NFL?   I think he struggles

I think we are good enough here......

Now......... a bit off thread topic.........

I really want them to spend some of the FA money on the still to me .... obvious holes

Young guys, that could grow with the team, and compete

Tre Boston to fill a hole at Safety,

Breeland to fill a hole at CB

Kendricks to fill SSLB or MLB

This team, with these 3 players, and some Luck ... pun intended, could hit 10 wins this year

58 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree

I think we stand pat on our current WR line up

The first 3 WRs - are decent, and put at least in the top half (maybe right in the middle) of WRs groups in the league - With Luck throwing to them

TY Hilton is a known quantity, probably top 5 in NFL in talent

Other teams have to gameplan for him, and know where he is at, at all times

When healthy, and when someone throws a catchable ball to him, Rogers is a good player...... not top 10.....

But a reliable pass catcher with speed.......

I would say watch the highlight tape on Grant. This guy can also play..... very well...... good speed, good hands, good size...........    

With our rookies, this could be an exciting WR crew........ When Cain had a an actual QB throwing his way, he was awesome........   he has great size, and great speed.

I am not in love with Foutain as much as everyone else. I hope he develops

I think we are good enough here

Now......... a bit off thread topic.........

I really want them to spend some of the FA money on the still to me .... obvious holes

Young guys, that could grow with the team, and compete

Tre Boston to fill a hole at Safety,

Breeland to fill a hole at CB

Kendricks to fill SSLB or MLB

This team, with these 3 players, and some Luck ... pun intended, could hit 10 wins this year

I'm not predicting Fountain will be great, I just hope he carves out a niche with us.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm on board here. I have a feeling that Rogers is really going to open some people's eyes this year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

A guy to look out for is Hogan i think he could surprise a lot of people this year 

He could, but right now he's behind the power curve with the rehab and all. 

They could choose to stash him on IR for the year instead of losing him.

Another WR to look out for us KJ Brent.   He's been singled out for mention several times...   most recently by OC Nick Sirriani in his latest review of the offense....

I hope one of my favorites makes the PS...   Ross Travis is 6'7" and surprisingly athletic.    I wonder if he could learn and play both TE and WR?  I think he could be a real matchup problem.

I ultimately think Andrew Luck will be an important contributor to the #2 receiver in training camp. There is a lot of nice talent here and Luck will end up favoring the receiver in which he has the most confidence. It will also need to wait until the O-line is finalized to see whether or not the Colts need one type of wideout or another the most.

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Let me remind you grant or rogers didn't prove there are starting wrs i rather have cain and fountain cuz rogers only had 1 good game in his carrer and that was against steelers tbh and grant is only really a #4 wr tbh he isnt worth as a starter

I'm beginning to think this is the year where Chester Rogers proves himself big. He's always been kinda behind the scenes with TY and Donte but always looked good when he was out there. I would take a chance on him as WR2 if Grant doesn't pick up right away.

• Like 1

If this team was on the verge of a playoff run this year, I'd say sure, adding a solid, smart veteran could help.  But I like the talent in this rookie group, and I like the Grant signing.   Of the free agent WRs available, Dontrelle Inman might be worth a look. JMO.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, Scott Pennock said:
4 minutes ago, Savage said:

5 minutes ago, Savage said:

Decker? Dez Bryant is probably the only guy on that list who is worthy of the #2 option behind Hilton here in Indy.

i think Dez is a shadow of himself.......  he also is a bit of a primma donna.......  i dont see the fit in the new youth movement  

Deano

The goal is to have Fountain or Cain be the Z wide out eventually to take the #2 spot. If any of you paid attention to Ryan Grant last year, he gets open, and he moves the chains. He lined up outside several times for the Redskins and had several good plays throughout the year. He will start at #2.

You guys might want to take a look at this:

He played some good secondaries in the Broncos, Rams and Chargers and continuously managed to get open, he understands zones real well. That dude can ball, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Plus, if Reich's Eagles influence had any say, we will be lining Ebron as a flanker more often too, much like Peyton did with Dallas Clark as a 3rd wide out (not comparing Ebron to DC, just making a conceptual point). I am truly not worried at all about our receiving corps. We have the experienced guys in TY, Grant and Rogers too, plus have the TEs and the youth with the RBs and WRs for our pass catchers.

Just my two cents. :)

• Like 1

With a healthy Luck I think the offense is going to be fairly strong to be honest.  It's the defense I'm not quite sure as of right now what we are going to be like.  I like what we have in the front 7 talent wise.  Not sure who the final starters are going to be at corner or the linebacker positions.  I'm assuming Hooker and Geathers will be the starters on the back end.  Geathers definitely will be there, but I'm not sure if Malik will start off or will he still be rehabbing?  Couple question marks in different areas.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

With a healthy Luck I think the offense is going to be fairly strong to be honest.  It's the defense I'm not quite sure as of right now what we are going to be like.  I like what we have in the front 7 talent wise.  Not sure who the final starters are going to be at corner or the linebacker positions.  I'm assuming Hooker and Geathers will be the starters on the back end.  Geathers definitely will be there, but I'm not sure if Malik will start off or will he still be rehabbing?  Couple question marks in different areas.

IMHO, we have question marks at:

Safety - we are counting on 2 guys who are coming off injury sesaons to start.....

I trust more in Hooker, but we arent set

LB - we are counting on a rookie WSLB, and non proven talent, late round and undrafted FAs at SSLB, and at MLB....... biggest hole on the team

CB - we are counting on a 2nd year player, who was a healthy scratch most of last year and back ups to be our starting CBs..... this is risky

Just an old dude behind the computer, but........ IMHO..... we have mucho money in the bank.......  

just sitting there .... 

splurge a little CB....   the young depth, people that could compete, are limted, but available 

make Deano less nervous about next year  :)

20 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO, we have question marks at:

Safety - we are counting on 2 guys who are coming off injury sesaons to start.....

I trust more in Hooker, but we arent set

LB - we are counting on a rookie WSLB, and non proven talent at SSLB, and at MLB....... biggest hole on the team

CB - we are counting on a 2nd year player, and back ups to be our starting CBs..... this is risky

Just an old dude behind the computer, but........ IMHO..... we have mucho money in the bank.......  

just sitting there .... 

splurge a little.... 

make Deano less nervous about next year  :)

I think the Bashaud Breeland deal happens.  I can sort of tell because he hasn't took any other visits to any other teams since the Colts and Cardinals visits.  We know he's not going to the cardinals.  Geathers has had a year to recover from that neck injury.  I think he'll be fine and the Colts haven't made any issue of it.  They haven't drafted anyone else, but I will say it's hard to be totally comfortable with his overall durability.  Not just the neck itself. Farley and Green are decent backups and there's still guys like Tre Boston and Vacarro out there and to a lesser extent Eric Reid.