Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Ebron

James

Anyone worried about the signing of Eric Ebron?

From what I've gathered a lot of Lions fans seem to strongly dislike this player. This is just one example:

This Ebron play basically summed up why many of our fans hated him. 

Hey Ebron the drops were frustrating. And the fact that you weren't Aaron Donald was unfair to you. But you could've been beloved in this town if you worked hard and put maximum effort out on the field which nobody believed that you ever did. You had a ton of god-given talent and maybe if you worked harder at the game instead of complaining about how the fans don't love you all the time on social media you wouldn't have been cut.

Now, some of their resentment may stem from that fact that he didn't live up to the expectations that come from being a first round draft pick, but it still makes me a bit uneasy reading their various descriptions of Ebron. I'm sure Ballard and co. did their research thoroughly, so I guess we'll find out. Just don't like seeing and hearing things like the above example.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Ebron is a receiving tight end. I think he'll have a really good year for us in that role.

Yeah, that's what I'm counting on too. He seems really fired up on social media - at the moment. But even as a receiving tight end I still think about what his behaviour could be if the start of the season doesn't go as we all hope it does. The Detroit fans seem to genuinely think he is toxic and way too finger-pointing in his behaviour, making him a bad signing. Another Detroit fan writes:

He's a primadonna through and through. You've got plays like this, the drops, and my personal favorite, when he missed a touchdown pass that hit him square in the numbers and his only excuse was "it should have been an interception." Good * riddance.

I really hope they are wrong, and he has changed. Has to fit a proper culture.

16 minutes ago, James said:

From what I've gathered a lot of Lions fans seem to strongly dislike this player. This is just one example:

Now, some of their resentment may stem from that fact that he didn't live up to the expectations that come from being a first round draft pick, but it still makes me a bit uneasy reading their various descriptions of Ebron. I'm sure Ballard and co. did their research thoroughly, so I guess we'll find out. Just don't like seeing and hearing things like the above example.

not worried, more curious is all.  It's not uncommon for a player to just not be a fit and thus appear to not be trying.  See Jerry Hughes, Dion, Marshawn Lynch and others that have moved from one team and caught fire with another.  I'm not saying that is going to be Ebron at all but it wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

not worried, more curious is all.  It's not uncommon for a player to just not be a fit and thus appear to not be trying.  See Jerry Hughes, Dion, Marshawn Lynch and others that have moved from one team and caught fire with another.  I'm not saying that is going to be Ebron at all but it wouldn't be the first time.

You can literally see when a player tries and when a player doesn't try. All those players you mentioned weren't scheme fits like you said. They didn't have effort issues. Ebron can literally be seen not trying. I'm puzzled as to why Ballard signed him

Wow.  That's some Cam Newton level drama there. 

We have to remember, though, that this guy just turned 25.  I think he was only 23 when this play happened.  I'm sure they got in his ear about playing until the whistle.  He didn't "give up" so much as mistakenly think the play was dead.  It was a miracle that the RB escaped that first tackle.

• Thanks 1

In college his physical gifts allowed him to dominate. In the NFL everybody has physical gifts and that alone does not translate to success. Hopefully he has learned in his time in Detroit that success will not just fall in his lap, he has to work for it. I was against this signing as well for these reasons but Ballard wants to give it a shot i geuss. He won't be in the NFL long if he doesn't want to give the effort.

29 minutes ago, James said:

i'm not worried at all. Even if he turns out bad we still have Doyle and Swoope:thmup:

• Like 1

Who knows maybe his cutting will encourage him to put in more effort.  

But I certainly can see a good deal of risk here with Ebron.  

I just hope Ballard doesn't use Ebron as an excuse to get rid of Swoope.  Guy spent all of last year injured but the year before that he looked like he was developing well into a receiving tight end.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, James said:

Could you link to the forums and topics where you are getting this information.  I'd really like to read them.  Thx

10 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I would think if there are issues regarding effort, (including making the effort to concentrate), it will show, prior to September and he’ll be gone. 

$6 million in dead money to cut him.  He's guaranteed a roster spot for at least the first year I think.

2 hours ago, James said:

They drafted him 10th overall... he'd have to be twice as good as Gronk to live up to that draft slot. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick, they'd love him.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

$6 million in dead money to cut him.  He's guaranteed a roster spot for at least the first year I think.

If that’s the case, you’re right: he’d still be here...,.but I would think his reps would be reduced (if he shows a lack of effort or concentration ). 

55 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They drafted him 10th overall... he'd have to be twice as good as Gronk to live up to that draft slot. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick, they'd love him.

I think this nails it. At 10th the expectations are high. He still put up 50 receptions and 600 yards average over the past 3 years. I think if that's whats expected here, he'll deliver. And his attitude could change just from whats expected of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Who knows maybe his cutting will encourage him to put in more effort.  

But I certainly can see a good deal of risk here with Ebron.  

I just hope Ballard doesn't use Ebron as an excuse to get rid of Swoope.  Guy spent all of last year injured but the year before that he looked like he was developing well into a receiving tight end.  

Yeah. I understand a former GM wanting to assemble his own unit of players. However, I would like a chance to be given to those that have shown us "something", when healthy. That was a reason I was not a fan of the Henry Anderson trade.

Not everyone can be a Pro Bowler to survive a new GM in the NFL. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah. I understand a former GM wanting to assemble his own unit of players. However, I would like a chance to be given to those that have shown us "something", when healthy. That was a reason I was not a fan of the Henry Anderson trade.

HA was not a fit for the D

Same way an option QB would be benched/traded if a new pass heavy O was installed

• Like 2

Ebron is just here to fill in until we find a replacement through the draft. So maybe 2 years. He reminds me a lot of Vontae Davis. Production problems. Attitude problem. (While he was at Miami)

If the colts make make the playoffs this year I see no trouble coming from Ebron, but if we miss the playoffs I expect him to unravel shortly thereafter. 

I could he completely wrong, and I hope I am. I’m all for people exceeding expectations. 

Out of all of Ballard’s FA signings this feels so, not Ballard. 

In this vid he gave up on the play when he thought the RB was tackled, so be it everyone has their days... he's in a new system and a new culture, let's give the guy a chance... low cost signing, why do we have to have all these negative postings all the time.  #trust in your team!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TonyHose said:

In this vid he gave up on the play when he thought the RB was tackled, so be it everyone has their days... he's in a new system and a new culture, let's give the guy a chance... low cost signing, why do we have to have all these negative postings all the time.  #trust in your team!!

It goes with the territory....unless Indy signs a HUGE name, they automatically suck, regardless of their respective contracts...……...sad.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ebron is just here to fill in until we find a replacement through the draft. So maybe 2 years. He reminds me a lot of Vontae Davis. Production problems. Attitude problem. (While he was at Miami)

If the colts make make the playoffs this year I see no trouble coming from Ebron, but if we miss the playoffs I expect him to unravel shortly thereafter. 

I could he completely wrong, and I hope I am. I’m all for people exceeding expectations. 

Out of all of Ballard’s FA signings this feels so, not Ballard. 

He is 25 I doubt hes here just to fill in he is a very high potential player and young hes not a stop gap

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

HA was not a fit for the D

Same way an option QB would be benched/traded if a new pass heavy O was installed

I hope the coaches are right about the lack of fit, I know that is why they let him go. This is not your "typical forum run of the mill gripe against Ballard" that I came up with. I have seen Derek Wolfe, who is at the similar height and weight, play the 1-gap 3-4 DE position shooting gaps. HA had slimmed down to that Derek Wolfe weight range, wanting the chance to shoot gaps as a 1-gap UT. Both Derek Wolfe and HA stand at 6'5" and taller. Eberflus should know, David Irving that plays UT for the Cowboys is around the 290 lb range standing at 6'7".

I am not saying we lost a Pro Bowler but I wish we gave him a chance before we cut him loose, he may have surprised us with our fit assessment, very much like Jerry Hughes shone in someone else's 3-4 while we continued our search for pass rushers for our 3-4 under Pagano. Our gain was just a 7th rounder with HA. 

• Like 2