Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL adopts new Anthem policy

indyagent17

Just now, Nadine said:

Yeah, I'd expect the NFLPA to have something to say about it.  They always do.

But, there seemed to be pretty good unity on this issue.  I would have thought there would have been some agreement.  Maybe there was?

Agreed 

People better get used to having empty sidelines after warmups are over until game time because I have a feeling that many player reps and coaches/owners will ask their players to go to the locker room

10 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Yeah, I'd expect the NFLPA to have something to say about it.  They always do.

But, there seemed to be pretty good unity on this issue.  I would have thought there would have been some agreement.  Maybe there was?

Remember last spring when the NFL contributed lots of money into the players' fund for social justice?

I think there is an agreement but some outspoken players don't agree with it...

No problem,. Speak out. 

Nobody's going to strike because they cant kneel during the national anthem, right?

But they can say whatever they want all week....

So its a good compromise..

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

PT;  I'm okay with it

My boss tells me what to do on the job every day.

When I'm off work, I do and say what I please....

The owners never said that players cant protest the police, city hall,.....in the community or on TV.

The NFL never said players cant do interviews on radio or TV talking about social justice

They just cant kneel during the national anthem because it upsets viewers of the NFL on the NFL's TV show and cuts into the owners money.

The owners have the right to make that money. 

The players still have the right to protest.

I think as time passes folks will see this is as good a compromise as you can get here

Get used to empty side lines after Warmups

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed 

People better get used to having empty sidelines after warmups are over until game time because I have a feeling that many player reps and coaches/owners will ask their players to go to the locker room

//and therein is your compromise

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Get used to empty side lines after Warmups

That's okay......Its the act of kneeling the some viewers didn't like....some fans don't care.

The NFL isn't saying don't protest...they're just saying don't protest this way because it bothers some of your fans.

again..its compromise...

35 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Thank you for this post. My ex was in Florida about 10 years ago at a conference for her work. The room she was in was back to back with another conference room and a 20' opening existed between the two large rooms for service help to get in and out. She was in the back of her room and could hear the large table at the back of the other room. It was a police conference. To be clear, I cannot even begin to say even some of the things that this table of about 24 policemen were saying. It was so hate filled, so angry, and so lacking in human respect....that she was crying in complete disbelief. A smaller table in that same conference room could see the effect it was having on her and one of the men came over and apologized, saying, "We are not all like that". 

To be clear, this was not a few bad guys....it was a very real display of shared police community hatred. It is not a small issue. 

This is not to indict all police...far from it. But to say the issue is being overblown is absolutely false. 

Thank you for sharing that. That is very disturbing but not surprising. I have heard many similar stories. I believe one problem is that the public tends to believe the police and not civilians. Even when mistreatment is clear, the public will not prosecute the cops. It just emboldens the bad cops to continue mistreating others.

Those cops involved in the incident with the Bucks player should be fired. Video showed the player did nothing and the police lied. 

• Like 3

Just now, oldunclemark said:

That's okay......Its the act of kneeling the some viewers didn't like....some fans don't care.

The NFL isn't saying don't protest...they're just saying don't protest this way because it bothers some of your fans.

again..its compromise...

Compromises mean very little to some see Adolf Hitler and PM Neville Chamberlain 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for sharing that. That is very disturbing but not surprising. I have heard many similar stories. I believe one problem is that the public tends to believe the police and not civilians. Even when mistreatment is clear, the public will not prosecute the cops. It just embolden the bad cops to continue.

Those cops involved in the incident with the Bucks player should be fired. Video showed the player did nothing and the police lied. 

Nicely Put

Not sure if they were fired but the leaders were punished

Sadly there has been several cases were people went unpunished 

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You and I are both old enough to remember a time when nobody came on the field until after the national anthem..

Fans wont mind they wont see it on TV...

I have also read many stories about Pioneers in Sport were told to keep quiet and do their job

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Compromises mean very little to some see Adolf Hitler and PM Neville Chamberlain 

Nobody's speech is being denied..

The NFL just doesn't want the protest involving the anthem....and its about fans not watching.\

Players need to understand that and I think they do.

Players are free to protest politicians,. police and the judicial system,

They just cant hurt the game that pays them

I have also read many stories about Pioneers in Sport were told to keep quiet and do their job

Nobody's being told to keep quiet....players are free to comment and all are being asked.

..and players have always been free to get involved in communities where they play.  Manyt don't want to because they are dong their job of football

Nobody's speech is being denied..

The NFL just doesn't want the protest involving the anthem....and its about fans not watching.\

Players need to understand that and I think they do.

Players are free to protest politicians,. police and the judicial system,

They just cant hurt the game that pays them

Fans need to understand that Players are people and do not are not made to make some random fan happy

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Nicely Put

Not sure if they were fired but the leaders were punished

Sadly there has been several cases were people went unpunished 

Earlier today, you mentioned a case in Montana. What was that one? I had not heard of that one.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody's being told to keep quiet....players are free to comment and all are being asked.

..and players have always been free to get involved in communities where they play.  Manyt don't want to because they are dong their job of football

Yes they are 

When you are told that you can’t do something it is wrong 

No, its not. Our bosses can tell us not to do something on the job.

Come on, PT

So if you told you do something wrong you would

I was always raised to know when things are wrong not to comply even if a person in power told me too 

That is why there are HR departments and IA divisions

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The NFL Needs that random fan..that's why this compromise will work

No they do not 

I was always raised to know when things are wrong not to comply even if a person in power told me too 

No they do not 

Many fans feel kneeling for the anthem is wrong....the NFL has to recognize that

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO These protests have everything to do with Civil Disobedience of men and women like MLK and Gandhi

If you don’t understand(learn from) history you tend to make the same mistakes

You're wasting your time with DD. I have not read one of his posts

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

It's not a bunch of bunk and it's not a few police forces

It's also not just the police, it's every day people

In the past month, I've seen videos of people being accosted for speaking spanish, bar be queing in an area where it's always been allowed, sleeping in a dorm common area, walking a baby, inspecting a house (ie doing your job), checking out of an air b n b and on and on and on.

These are every day people living their lives

A good first step toward building consensus would be to acknowledge that this is not isolated and not just a few people and victims are just that, victimized by people who are racist.

I'm not saying that all people are racist or that all police are bad.  That's just not true

But it's far more pervasive that you are willing to see

Thank you! I was going to mention a couple of those examples earlier. My sister told me about the Yale University dorm incident. Having been a student living in a dorm, I can't imagine my reaction if police approached and questioned me just for sleeping in a common room. I would be shaken for hours.

I appreciate your sharing these examples; unfortunately, some just are not willing to acknowledge that this happens to innocent people. 

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

And millions do not 

So you are okay with a player sitting out a series instead

Nobody's going to sit out a series...why would they?

No one will strike..No one will quit the NFL...

I'm confident of that

The NFL has basically accepted the players protest....as long as it manifests itself in simply not being on the field

34 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

What did you think the solution to this problem would be?

How many players will quit over this, do you think?

When did I say I had an issue with the compromise

The first solution is for there to be more info to back up the “compromise”-A plan

The next is to try and understand why the players protested in the first place

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody;s going to sit out a series...why would they

Sitting out a series is disruptive not and not a pregame protest

There have been several instances where teams/players decided not to participate in an event for multiple reasons

When Jackie R. was breaking the color barrier some of his Dodger Teammates refused to play in games if he was in the dugout and then asked for a trade

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No they do not 

If I were to at my place of work do something that upset 50% or even a third of my employers, I’d be fired. It’s the same thing with the NFL. The fans are the employer. The NFL just maintains the product.

The anthem used to be a uniting force that all Americans from all walks of life could get behind. That’s gone now. In an era of almost near total divisiveness we’ve had one of the few things that kept us all united as one country taken away.

Players should be free to speak out on issues. They have a platform. While I disagree with their message, I will defend their right to that freedom. But, all actions have consequences. And the consequence here is that some people don’t think, despite the players feelings, that the anthem should be treated this way. Guess what, both sides are correct. It’s just that one side pays for a service from the other and is under no obligation to do so.

This is a fair compromise for a no-win scenario.

24 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

If I were to at my place of work do something that upset 50% or even a third of my employers, I’d be fired. It’s the same thing with the NFL. The fans are the employer. The NFL just maintains the product.

The anthem used to be a uniting force that all Americans from all walks of life could get behind. That’s gone now. In an era of almost near total divisiveness we’ve had one of the few things that kept us all united as one country taken away.

Players should be free to speak out on issues. They have a platform. While I disagree with their message, I will defend their right to that freedom. But, all actions have consequences. And the consequence here is that some people don’t think, despite the players feelings, that the anthem should be treated this way. Guess what, both sides are correct. It’s just that one side pays for a service from the other and is under no obligation to do so.

This is a fair compromise for a no-win scenario.

Fans are not the employees unless you are in the Packers Camp

So you are with the things happening around the US

I apologize to anyone that I may have offended @csmopar

IMO as long as one person researches and/or works to solve the current racial/minority problem because of the protests they have been successful 

Final Reminder from TigerTown 

People must be careful not to attack people without understanding their background 

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I apologize to anyone that I may have offended @csmopar

IMO as long as one person researches and/or works to solve the current racial/minority problem because of the protests they have been successful 

Final Reminder from TigerTown 

People must be careful not to attack people without understanding their background 

No apology needed for that but turning this into your own personal thread? Maybe.

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Thank you for this post. My ex was in Florida about 10 years ago at a conference for her work. The room she was in was back to back with another conference room and a 20' opening existed between the two large rooms for service help to get in and out. She was in the back of her room and could hear the large table at the back of the other room. It was a police conference. To be clear, I cannot even begin to say even some of the things that this table of about 24 policemen were saying. It was so hate filled, so angry, and so lacking in human respect....that she was crying in complete disbelief. A smaller table in that same conference room could see the effect it was having on her and one of the men came over and apologized, saying, "We are not all like that". 

To be clear, this was not a few bad guys....it was a very real display of shared police community hatred. It is not a small issue. 

This is not to indict all police...far from it. But to say the issue is being overblown is absolutely false. 

Very eye opening 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, civil disobedience doesn't count as just just because MLK did it.  There has to be a reason that makes sense.

Its about 12 pages now.  Again, what are the protests meant to address?  That cities with black mayors, black police commissioners, and black officers beat up and kill black citizens 1% of the time they tangle?  I'm all for being against that.  Always have been before I even became a Colts fan. Didn't need a rookie free safety to ruin my anthem party before I was against it.

What does Malik Hooker and Dwayne Allen want me to do about it?   Ignore data and assume they get beat up 91% of the time because that's what their posse's tell them police do?

One simple question. Which is the greater offense against humanity, an unarmed innocent black man being killed by the police or someone kneeling during the national anthem ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bshultz said:

One simple question. Which is the greater offense against humanity, an unarmed innocent black man being killed by the police or someone kneeling during the national anthem ?

i dont know anyone that is allowed to protest at work, i dont see why nfl players think they should be able to