Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTA’s 5/23/18

TKnight24

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he started frequently as a rookie.  He did not improve in 2017. Last year he only started because Good was injured early and he was it or heaven forbid Clark.  Good had beaten him out at RT.   He started because of circumstances not because he earned the job.   I think he and Clark are on the bubble especially after our draft and new FA signings on the OL.

That may be true, however, a lineman capable of playing multiple spots "effectively" in small doses is an extremely good commodity to have.....due to his versatility I'm sure he sticks around.

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

That may be true, however, a lineman capable of playing multiple spots "effectively" in small doses is an extremely good commodity to have.....due to his versatility I'm sure he sticks around.

He might be versatile but I don't see him as "effective".  We could probably find someone better on the waiver wire at cutdown time.  To me he is on the bubble and not a must have.  We shall see.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

He might be versatile but I don't see him as "effective".  We could probably find someone better on the waiver wire at cutdown time.  To me he is on the bubble and not a must have.  We shall see.   

True statement. He has had highly rated games and some pretty crappy games - typically from bullrushers. But he's always graded at/slightly above average as a run blocker.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure what lanxoing means.

It means smart correct (I typed it on an iPhone) is not so smart after all. 

Corrected for as intended ... With ACL injuries, etc. every year in training camp, no way am I doing any on field activity without a signed contract.  To do so would be insane!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

On and on Useless blather. So you hate... bla bla bla

An objective viewpoint (with supporting reasons) for why I have tempered my immediate expectations for a 6th round WR (who I have said that I like)...and you point and cry "Hater!"

Talk about useless blather. Grow up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I hope so too. But I am not sure how realistic people are being. Here is the list of 6th round WRs since 2013:

Robert Davis

Mortiz Boehringer

Jakeem Grant

Kolby Listenbee 

Cody Core - 17 receptions, 200 yards in rookie season...nothing since

Mike Thomas

Aaron Burbridge - 7 receptions, 88 yards in rookie season...nothing since

Kaelin Clay - 17 receptions, 147 yards in third season...didn't catch a pass until his third season

Geremy Davis - 2 receptions, 21 yards in rookie season...nothing since

Evan Spencer 

Bud Sasser 

Darren Waller - 2 receptions, 18 yards in rookie season...10 receptions, 85 yards in two seasons since

Robert Herron - 6 receptions, 58 yards in rookie season...never played again

T.J. Jones  - 45 receptions, 624 yards in career so far...but didn't catch a pass until his second season

Matt Hazel - 1 reception in three seasons

Walt Powell - O receptions in three seasons

Quincy Enunwa - 80 receptions, 1,172 yards in career so far...but didn't catch a pass until second season

Corey Fuller  - 18 receptions, 288 yards in career...hasn't played since 2015

Ryan Swoope

Justin Brown - 12 receptions, 94 yards in rookie season...out of the league

Alan Bonner

Cobi Hamilton - 18 receptions, 242 yards in career...didn't catch a pass until his third season

There are a lot of very good college WRs on this list...but 45% of them haven't caught (or never caught) a pass at the NFL level. And the overall production for the ones who have caught passes is mostly minimal...and many of them are out of the league now. Enunwa is obviously an outlier...but even he didn't start producting until after his rookie season. Same with T.J. Jones.

Cain reminds me of his fellow Clemson teammate, Charone Peake. Both were hyped as day two picks and both have incredibly similar size and athleticism. Cain went in the 6th round and Peake was a 7th round pick. I think Peake's rookie season is a fair starting point for Cain. 

Cain certainly has a lot of upside, but he also has a lot of history working against him. If anything, I think Fountain is the guy to watch this season. They heavily targeted him pre-draft and he was the first WR taken (they willingly risked Cain being gone at that point). I think they have big plans for Fountain.

Now list OTs taken at Lael Collins draft spot.

its not ALL about draft position when it comes to talent and potential.  

Many here have CLEARLY stated why he fell to the 6th.

Brady may have something to say about it too.

i'd recommend we all wait and see how it pans out.

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Now list OTs taken at Lael Collins draft spot.

its not ALL about draft position when it comes to talent and potential.  

Many here have CLEARLY stated why he fell to the 6th.

Brady may have something to say about it too.

i'd recommend we all wait and see how it pans out.

Collins was a very unique case. Not only did he have potential legal issues pending, but I think he also had said he wouldn't sign if he wasn't drafted after a certain point. All of the teams decided not to draft him. Cain doesn't have those same issues.

I agree that draft position is definitely not everything when it comes to talent and potential...and Cain definitely has both. I have just seen people talk about the immediate impact he could have...and that he could be the WR2 by midseason. Those immediate expectations are what I am referring to. It is very rare for a late-round WR to be productive...let alone right out of the gate. I

I am not down on Cain at all...I loved the pick. I just think he will need some development. I even threw out the Peake comp as a starting point, which I think is fair. And after his rookie season, Peake looked poised to break out this past season (and likely would have), but was hindered by injuries. If Cain is in a a similar situation heading into next season, I am ecstatic.  

21 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure what lanxoing means.

But to your point they have the rookie participation contract 

This is from THIS ARTICLE

But there are several more if you google "Rookie participation agreement"

No you didn't.

Oh yes I did see him get picked up and tossed

On 5/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, csmopar said:

Cause I don't think Good is all that good...

He hasn't signed his contract.  Per NFL rules, players can attend OTAs but cannot participate in practice until contract is signed. Rookie Mini camp practice is allowed though

see above

I agree with your statement about Good. He isn’t “good” at all. Plus he can’t stay healthy

On 5/23/2018 at 11:40 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting......

His 53 man roster.....     has 54 players.    

By his own count....    25 offensive....     26 defensive....    3 special teams

That's 54.        Whoopsie!

He said take out Zaire.

• Thanks 1