Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kneeling and penalty

TdungyW/12

Penalize the game for a before game activity? How would it get enforced?  At kickoff?  Doesn't make sense to me.

I think the NFL should just let them kneal and let the fans react how they want to.  The last thing I want is for the NFL to develop rules that mask how the players truly feel.  I say get it out in the open.

4 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

What do you think of the possibility of the idea of the NFL to adopt a plan to issue a 15 yard penalty for players who kneel during the national anthem? 

It sounds like they are trying to come up with a rule to get players to stand without changing the CBA.  It doesn't sound like a good idea to me, even though I am not a fan of players kneeling.

Again.  I would not like any top-down imposed procedure that would help mask how a player truly feels.  If a player wants to openly defy how the majority of fans feel about it, I think the NFL shouldn't try to cover it up. 

They could make a rule to not employ those players.  That would be okay.  But to impose a rule that masks the issue and essentially fools the fans into thinking everything is okay is a bit corrupt, IMO.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Again.  I would not like any top-down imposed procedure that would help mask how a player truly feels.  If a player wants to openly defy how the majority of fans feel about it, I think the NFL shouldn't try to cover it up. 

They could make a rule to not employ those players.  That would be okay.  But to impose a rule that masks the issue and essentially fools the fans into thinking everything is okay is a bit corrupt, IMO.

Wouldn't a rule not to employ those players be the same thing as masking how they feel?  

No one who wants to keep their job tells their boss exactly how they feel about him.  If they create a rule to not employ those players then players will do what they need to keep their jobs. 

Also a rule like that would be a bad idea.  Because then what you are asking for is some really popular well known and good player to kneel and call their bluff.  What if a player like say Cam Newton knelt?  There are a lot of really good players who could kneel and just dare the NFL to fire them.  

Furthermore you could see a lot of players band together and call them on their bluff, kneel and make them fill half the rosters with replacement players.  How popular is the NFL going to be when half the rosters are filled with guys from the CFL because they won't play the best guys.  

My thoughts on it is the NFL is in a tough situation with this one.  The NFL wants to avoid controversy in either direction.  Inserting themselves into it is seen as taking sides and adds to controversy.  Not inserting themselves into it is seen as taking sides by some.  Furthermore this issue won't go away.  Without being too political I will say that certain forces in our political system see this as a wedge issue to motivate their base and therefore will do what they can to incite it to continue in order to help them motivate the base.  

I honestly don't think there is a way for the NFL to win this one.  Alternative ways such as keeping them in the locker room during the anthem might just tick off both sides. 

37 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Wouldn't a rule not to employ those players be the same thing as masking how they feel?  

No one who wants to keep their job tells their boss exactly how they feel about him.  If they create a rule to not employ those players then players will do what they need to keep their jobs. 

Also a rule like that would be a bad idea.  Because then what you are asking for is some really popular well known and good player to kneel and call their bluff.  What if a player like say Cam Newton knelt?  There are a lot of really good players who could kneel and just dare the NFL to fire them.  

Furthermore you could see a lot of players band together and call them on their bluff, kneel and make them fill half the rosters with replacement players.  How popular is the NFL going to be when half the rosters are filled with guys from the CFL because they won't play the best guys.  

My thoughts on it is the NFL is in a tough situation with this one.  The NFL wants to avoid controversy in either direction.  Inserting themselves into it is seen as taking sides and adds to controversy.  Not inserting themselves into it is seen as taking sides by some.  Furthermore this issue won't go away.  Without being too political I will say that certain forces in our political system see this as a wedge issue to motivate their base and therefore will do what they can to incite it to continue in order to help them motivate the base.  

I honestly don't think there is a way for the NFL to win this one.  Alternative ways such as keeping them in the locker room during the anthem might just tick off both sides. 

I was thinking more like firing the employee would sort of tell the public how you felt about the employee.  I sense the situation today is that the NFL hates the kneeling, but is too wimpish to fire them (against CBA too of course) so they want to just have the conflict die by changing procedures so nobody thinks about it.  Firing isn't so much covering up the issue as doing something like keeping them in the locker room or not playing the anthem at all.

Having said that, it seems like the NFL is trying to do something to right the ship in the right way by disciplining against established traditions.  I just don't know how penalizing a team for a pre-game action makes much sense.

Not a fan of that idea...  I actually like it when athletes use their celebrity to draw attention to the important issues of our time. 

Now, If the NFL wants to take away a draft pick from Houston because of that ridiculous stunt with Mike Pence, I'd be all for it. That was a disgrace.

NFL had players in the locker room for National Anthem for a long time...only several years ago did they bring them out for the photo op....now the op is bad pc...so just put them back in the locker room. Fine by me. If it means we can stop having the stupid commentators go on about Kaep and kneeling and politics on the sports cast it gets an A in my book. I just want my pure sports....I don't care what any of these guys opinions are. If I do...I'll follow them on twitter (and sense I'm not on twitter I won't have to hear about it). Hopefully this puts an end to it all. Good for the owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The original intent of playing the National Anthem prior to NFL games around WWII in an effort to build "Patriotism"..  Today, however, the National Anthem has become a very divisive thing within the NFL .... which completely goes against the original intent.

With this being said, I think that the National Anthem should no longer be played prior to the games.  Afterall, how many other "entertainment events" follow this tradition in our country?...Concerts, plays, shows, etc??? Does anyone care that it is not played when they go to a concert? Why MUST it be played at a football game?...

Don't get me wrong...I am a Veteran and a devoted citizen who stands very strongly in favor of our National Anthem and all it stands for to so many people...including those who choose to exercise their "right to protest peacefully"... BUT, my feelings are such based on the divisive nature of the anthem, especially in the context of the NFL.

Anthem.JPG

Well as it goes .... the owners approved for them to stand if on the field ... or go back into the locker room. This is a good idea and should have been implemented all along. This is a job and the owners are the bosses ..... therefore they can say and set guidelines as they see fit ...( obviously nothing harmful or derogatory etc ...) but just like my company makes the rules and I follow them so as should be the NFL, I don’t care if they are playing a game it’s still a job. 

I would be fired if I went up to my boss and did what I wanted and told him I’m going to do what I want to do. Love this new rule ... I want sports keep everything else out of it! 

• Nadine locked this topic