Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mychal Kendricks released

Wasn't it was more like Grigson to pursue this familiarity type of deal?

Remember how Pep Hamilton and his familiarity with Luck was going to take us to the promised land. Or how anybody from The U that had familiarity with Chuck Pagano was going to lead us to greater heights.

I'm sure there are many other examples of Grigson's lame attempts at bettering the Colts by signing every guy who hit the waiver wire. Perhaps the more astute thing to have done would be to challenge his coaches to inspire and coach up the players they already had on the roster and see where that leads.

10 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

The only thing i can remotely make of it is that Reich has weighed in and said something about not wanting or needing him. Otherwise the dots connecting him to us made too much sense.

Maybe there was a reason the Philly staff kept him parked on the bench a lot of the time, despite what the PFF analysis says about how well he did during his time on the field.

I would have liked for us to entertain him, but if we aren't I have to assume Reich has weighed in and we have purposefully decided not to pursue him. Which, if so, I am OK with.

Kendricks played 60% of the defensive snaps last season. That was the 7th most on the team. Seems like they were starting Hicks early in the season...and then he got hurt and Kendricks took over as starter. And they expect Hicks to be back next season and thus Kendricks was expendable at his cost.

It is interesting that Ballard doesn't seem to be kicking the tires. But I think it was always going to come down to competition for Kendricks...and there was a bit more of it than expected. It's very difficult to compete with a team that has deeper pockets (CLE), his brother's team (MIN) and his college /hometown team (OAK).

Has anybody given the thought that perhaps Kendricks isn't interested in the Colts, despite Reich?  An older guy is usually looking for the best chance to win, and maybe he doesn't think the Colts are close enough yet?  And maybe, just maybe, he's right?

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Has anybody given the thought that perhaps Kendricks isn't interested in the Colts, despite Reich?  An older guy is usually looking for the best chance to win, and maybe he doesn't think the Colts are close enough yet?  And maybe, just maybe, he's right?

I honestly gave that some thought too. But if so, you don't visit the Browns. A team that is coming off an 0-16 season w a rookie QB is not exactly the type of team you visit if you are only looking for your best chance to win.

So I believe we have not reached out or that if we did we did not like what we heard. Either way it doesn't seem like he is destined to be here.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 11:17 PM, TomDiggs said:

I honestly gave that some thought too. But if so, you don't visit the Browns. A team that is coming off an 0-16 season w a rookie QB is not exactly the type of team you visit if you are only looking for your best chance to win.

So I believe we have not reached out or that if we did we did not like what we heard. Either way it doesn't seem like he is destined to be here.

Yeah, visiting the Browns wouldn't make too much sense either if he really wants to win.  Good point.

The reality is a phone call could already have been made to his agent. Players want up front money and, or...long term security. Winning being the most important reason is far more a fan thing, than a player thing. This front office is quite astute and aware. If we aren't pursuing him, their is a legit reason. 

Spending to win this season or next may be what fans want, but it might not be what the front office wants. 

2 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Not so fast...

Per Rotoworld.com

Kendricks denies he’s chosen Browns. They are still the favourites but no deal is reached.

True, it went from-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935454/article/browns-signing-mychal-kendricks-to-oneyear-deal

To -

https://www.12up.com/posts/6079078-mychal-kendricks-rips-ian-rapoport-for-breaking-news-about-deal-with-browns

I might have found the reason the Eagles let Kendricks go with 2 years on his contract.  Besides saving 6 million in cap space, the Eagles Jim Schwartz ran base defense just 20 - 25% of the time. Of the 3 LB's (Kendricks, Hicks, and Bradham), Kendricks was worst in pass coverage so he sat when Eagles went Nickel (until Hicks got hurt and went to IR). Now Eagles brought in Corey Nelson, who is also much better then Kendricks in pass coverage and will compete for the WILL position with Nate Gerry and Kamu Grugier-Hill. Kendricks got cut. This despite the newly signed Paul Worrilow tearing his ACL and will miss the season.

Apparently, Kendricks had been on the trading block, but there were no takers. Apparently, teams were not content in paying his $5.85 million base salary for 2018. Thus Free Agency.  I'm sure Frank Reich and Eberflus have chatted with Schwartz about him.  It seems Colts/Ballard aren't that interested, especially if the guy wants to get paid $$$.

2 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Time for Ballard to Swoop in and steal him!

Hmmmm... I just don't see that happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't think we are interested at all.

Agreed.  In addition, i heard all winter about our lack of pass cover LB's.  Now it seems people want to get another teams part timer LB that is also deficient in pass cover skills.  :giveup:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Not so fast...

Per Rotoworld.com

Kendricks denies he’s chosen Browns. They are still the favourites but no deal is reached.

Time for Ballard to Swoop in and steal him!

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

And now? The Browns deal appears back on again!  LOL

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/04/after-denying-initial-reports-it-sounds-like-mychal-kendricks-browns/

What a circus.   :facepalm: