Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mychal Kendricks released

Absolutely. Would love to see him in the fold here. He would be a solid nickel guy and could pretty much play any of the 3 LB spots. He has mostly played WLB and SLB recently I believe. But I know he came in as an inside LB too.

Would definitely be a solid addition if we decided to pursue him.

His cap savings, plus the fact that they've been shopping him for years make this not a surprising cut.

He's always been a solid LB. PFF has him as their 9th best LB with a rating of 86, which is really good.

• Like 1

Just now, shastamasta said:

No..he has more than four years of service time. He just becomes an unrestricted FA.

Thank you Shasta. I wasn't sure what the difference was exactly between being able to claim some players and not others. This clears it up for me! :thmup:

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was one of the LBs I wanted to target early in the offseason as a possible trade. If the price is right, I think this guy will be a Colt shortly. Need some veteran presence in that LB group.

I couldn't agree more.  I wanted him in a trade as well and now he is there for the taking.  His release was all about cap savings IMO.  I hope Ballard moves on this one. 

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I couldn't agree more.  I wanted him in a trade as well and now he is there for the taking.  His release was all about cap savings IMO.  I hope Ballard moves on this one. 

He will likely have a couple of suitors. Hopefully, Reich can help get him here.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Was he OLB or ILB in Philly?

He played OLB AFAIK, but IMO if we get him we should move him to MIKE, simply because we have noone better there and he was MIKE in college... he's very rangy and can chase sideline to sideline. I don't think we have a better athlete than him at the position right now. 

21 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Kendricks was set to make $6 million this year and his cap hit is $7 million. They only have about $322,485 in cap space so I'm guessing that is the reason he was released. 77 tackles last year 2.0 sacks. 

21 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Salary, likely. They re-signed Bradham and are up against it.

I heard it was value for salary, in that he would only be a part time player in their D system this year.

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

He's better than any LB we have now. Bring him in for a look see.

Sad display on just one of the differences between a Super Bowl defense vs. the Colts D when a part time LB player immediately become the best LB on the Colts roster vs. his projected part time role on the Eagles.

18 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I heard it was value for salary, in that he would only be a part time player in their D system this year.

Sad display on just one of the differences between a Super Bowl defense vs. the Colts D when a part time LB player immediately become the best LB on the Colts roster vs. his projected part time role on the Eagles.

Sad but true

On 5/23/2018 at 11:00 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Perhaps....perhaps not. Let's see how the new scheme and coaches affect our LB's. Youth is on our side. 

Looks like Kendricks is visiting the Vikings, Raiders and Browns.

I would have liked to kick the tires on him, but if he really is supposed to make a decision this week, it looks like it would be one of these three in all likelihood.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Why on earth is Ballard not even entertaining bringing him in? He has ties to Reich and would fill one of our biggest needs. 

The only thing i can remotely make of it is that Reich has weighed in and said something about not wanting or needing him. Otherwise the dots connecting him to us made too much sense.

Maybe there was a reason the Philly staff kept him parked on the bench a lot of the time, despite what the PFF analysis says about how well he did during his time on the field.

I would have liked for us to entertain him, but if we aren't I have to assume Reich has weighed in and we have purposefully decided not to pursue him. Which, if so, I am OK with.