Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Gordon to Mentor Antonio Callaway to Overcome Off the Field Issues

OffensivelyPC

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/05/18/cleveland-browns-josh-gordon-good-mentor-callaway/

Goodness gracious this is going to, I feel, go only to one of two extremes, Gordon and Callaway derailing their career or the both of them forming a formidable tandem alongside Landry. 

On paper, this is an idea so spectacularly horrible it defies description.  Naturally, the instant reaction is that Gordon having only full season with no issues is great, but not long enough to trust him in mentoring someone with a similar, if not worse, troubled past.  Even then, people in AA, for instance, wind up being mentors or "sponsors" as they call them to other men and women who are new to AA.  They recommend 1 year at least in most cases, but you'll find many an AA sponsor recommend 2 or more years of sobriety. 

But digging a little deeper, both Gordon and Callaway trained under Tim Montgomery, an Olympic sprinter with who got jailed for a check fraud cheme and then again for selling heroin.  He helped Gordon and will be another layer of protection for Callaway, supporting Gordon and Callaway from a distance in most cases.  

For any of you into dynasty football or fans of the Browns, or just of Gordon and/or Callaway, there are both encouraging and disastrous implications of mixing Gordon and Callaway in a sponsor/sponsee relationship.  But at least its not all doom and gloom.

Hopefully the Browns can trot out a WR corp that is available and not sidelined by suspension(s). 

That one is a real head scratcher. You bring in quality players like Jarvis Landry etc. via FA and want to go back to swing-and-a-miss draft picking, at least that is what I felt with drafting Antonio Callaway there.

• Like 1

My first reaction was to laugh but when I stop to think about it I believe this could work for both players. I try to see the best in people and I really hope Calloway can learn from a guy who was so close to throwing it all away. 

Best of luck to both guys. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

My first reaction was to laugh but when I stop to think about it I believe this could work for both players. I try to see the best in people and I really hope Calloway can learn from a guy who was so close to throwing it all away. 

Best of luck to both guys. 

It can work if it instills in Josh Gordon a sense of responsibility to uphold higher standards, now that he is a mentor by virtue of having walked the walk of uncertainty. Pretty soon, he will have to walk the talk of mentorship. Once Josh leads by example, Callaway can follow, and it will lead to a better environment of trust and improvement, IMO. Ultimately, every man can and will have his own way of responding to his circumstances, with or without a mentor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

It can work if it instills in Josh Gordon a sense of responsibility to uphold higher standards, now that he is a mentor by virtue of having walked the walk of uncertainty. Pretty soon, he will have to walk the talk of mentorship. Once Josh leads by example, Callaway can follow, and it will lead to a better environment of trust and improvement, IMO. Ultimately, every man can and will have his own way of responding to his circumstances, with or without a mentor.

You certainly spoke some words of wisdom there Chad. At the end of the day, it comes down to what motivates a guy the most? Fame, fortunate, an altered state, or setting up financial security for more than 1 generation of family members...

It does seem like a bizarre pairing initially, but if Josh has learned his lesson after being suspended from football for so long & if Callaway is smart enough to really listen; this could be an incredible WR partnership between the 2 of them. 

A mentor is only as good as his/her pupil is. If Callaway pays attention & doesn't walk down a similar path of trouble, anything is possible. 

A lot of people overlook the 2nd part of that equation--Listening or being ready to listen to someone more experienced at something than you are. It's the difference between knowledge & wisdom that comes often with age & life experience. 

I'm pulling for Josh Gordon too. A good kid who I truly hope has broken his substance woes. 

• Like 4