Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTAs 5/22/2018

TKnight24

11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Can we please stop making every single freakin thread about Luck's shoulder!?!?!?!!!?

giphy.gif

Good luck with that LOL. This thread is kind of done anyways since there aren't really any updates for today's OTAs. If others feel that we could lock this one, I'm not going to oppose.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Good luck with that LOL. This thread is kind of done anyways since there aren't really any updates for today's OTAs. If others feel that we could lock this one, I'm not going to oppose.

I think frank is gonna hold a press conference later so maybe not close it just yet

24 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

All reasonable points.  I will say that no one anticipated he would have a set back last year until he did.  I guess that makes it a possibility for this year but I honestly don't believe for one second that will happen in 2018.  if there had been such an issue, it strikes me as it would have happened by now.

To your last line - i think you will be on here in October saying - "you know what boys & girls, I was wrong."

I'll be saying I was wrong a lot sooner than Oct or Nov.    if Luck is starting sometime in September, then I'll be HAPPY to say that I'm wrong.   Really!   Happy to say it.

Again...   I am NOT predicting anything.   Only saying I won't be surprised if my concerns come true...   that's all..

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out why he was released before jumping in and signing him?

Teams do not normally release guys this time of year for no reason.

Yeah they do.  They draft younger guys to replace older guys with larger salaries and dump the older guys.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

They may not have been saying "he's throwing weighted footballs"....   but they were saying the slick was proceeding according to schedule...   that he was not skipping steps...   that there were no set backs...   that they expected him to be throwing at some point during camp and that they thought he'd start week one...

As for the weighted footballs...  I'm not even sure he's doing that anymore.   I thought what he's doing now is throwing the smaller, underweight motion so he can get in a lot of reps and be ready for camp.

It feels like he's got six months of work to do and only four months to do it.   As always in these cases...   I really hope I'm wrong.

And to me it feels like he has two months of work to do and four months to do it.

My view with Luck is just cautious optimism.  They are saying he'll be ready for camp.  So the way I view it is that I'm going to take their word for it at the moment.  But if Luck isn't ready for camp then I'm going to think he's done and can't play anymore.  Sometimes some surgeries take longer to recover from.  But if after a year and a half you arn't recovered then I'm not sure you ever will be.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah they do.  They draft younger guys to replace older guys with larger salaries and dump the older guys.  

No they don't, if it's a salary thing they typically wait until after June 1 so they can spread out the salary cap.

And the Eagles didn't draft any LBers this year and at 27 years old Mychal is not good an older guy.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No they don't, if it's a salary thing they typically wait until after June 1 so they can spread out the salary cap.

And the Eagles didn't draft any LBers this year and at 27 years old Mychal is not good an older guy.

I believe they can release now and designate it a June 1 release.  This allows him more time to look for another team.  

37 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out why he was released before jumping in and signing him?

Teams do not normally release guys this time of year for no reason.

I'd assume Reich would know.  Unless something has changed with Kendricks in the last 3 months.

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I believe they can release now and designate it a June 1 release.  This allows him more time to look for another team.  

I hope we show interest on Kendrick.   He may or may not be what he once was...  but he's likely better than what we already have...    a one or two year deal would be just fine...

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd assume Reich would know.  Unless something has changed with Kendricks in the last 3 months.

I am sure Reich/Ballard would do their homework.  The Comment was more directed at fans and twitterheads who are saying... "sign him"

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

By "spread out" , you mean take some of the "dead money " in 2019 correct ? If so , you are correct and it gives Philly more room this year. It appears they only have around 300K in cap room as of today. Thus they need to restructure a contract or two or make a cut. Looks to me like this one may be a "true cap casualty."

42 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think if Mychel Kendricks were not as good as you think he would've been cut back before free agency freeing up money for the Eagles.

What I read is that he had a poor year in 16, but a much better year in 17...    feels like this was a decision about $$ as much as performance.

He's 27...  not old.   He might have a year or two left.

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yup, I thought teams were only able to do that in March, but you are correct they can designate a player as a "June 1st cut" any time before June 1st.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

1.    At this point one year ago, the Colts were saying the same thing.   So what they SAY has little meaning for me.    If Luck isn't throwing a regulation football until late July, I wonder how strong his arm will be?    I'm not worried about 40 passes in a game.   I'm worried about 100-plus passes three days a week in practice so he can develope timing and chemistry with his receivers.   @Superman floated the idea that he'd take one day a week off from practice as he did in '16.....    grrrreeaaat!   Just what we need!    I don't see how Luck builds up arm strength in the six weeks of training camp leading to the start of the season?

2.   I'm expecting Brissett to start the season.   I'm expecting Luck on the DL so he can return after week six.   Wouldn't be surprised if he's not starting until the bye week --- week nine --- and i'd be fine with that.   I think Luck starting the second half of the season would be great.   I think THEN, he'd be ready.

I know this post won't be popular...   and I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right....

To be fair he did have his best year in '16 :dunno: True though, that he wasn't coming from a long road of recovery. 

I do t care of he's throwing or not. What I see from the eyeballs is he is much healthier than this time last year. Just the mere sight of him last year scared the crap out of me. Shoulder injuries fricken suck. Especially to your throwing arm. As a lifted I've dealt with some shoulder issues and I'm not even a NFL qb. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Can we please stop making every single freakin thread about Luck's shoulder!?!?!?!!!?

giphy.gif

I read ya man. It feels like every Colts thread teeters between Andrew's shoulder & he has not thrown a football yet. So predictable that it's not even funny anymore. Preseason can't come fast enough just to give fans games to watch & calm down. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But they weren't saying the same thing.  They weren't saying he was throwing weighted balls.

As far as building up arm strength... that is what he is doing now sow hen training camp starts he is able to work more on timing than building arm strength.

I once had surgery to repair a fractured pelvis that had some screws and a plate added. Now generally, many doctors will have you toe touch weight bearing and then gradually increase your weight until 6-8 weeks are up and then walk normal. This surgeon decided he uses a 6 weeks no weight bearing on the affected side and then full weight after an exam and on to physical therapy for strength. His belief was to fully heal the bone and give it no chance of Re fracturing by guessing is this 50% weight or 75%? I’d guess Luck throwing weighted balls is similar. This therapy plan calls for something different than what we think is the norm but could be very effective for the long term prognosis. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Hey.....

I'm cutting and pasting a passage on the Kendricks story from NFL.com that I thought you'd fine interesting....

Selected in the second round of the 2012 draft, Kendricks entered the league with a reputation as an athletic, rangy linebacker ideally suited to the modern, pass-heavy NFL. After a promising rookie season, he was viewed as one of the most impressive young linebackers in football.

Over the past half-decade, though, multiple Eagles coaching staffs have arrived at the conclusion that he's best utilized as a two-down player, the ostensible source of frustration that has landed Kendricks on the trade block since 2015.

Kendricks, 27, is coming off one of his finest seasons in Philadelphia, starting 13 games for the Super Bowl champions. When impending free agent Nigel Bradham landed a five-year, $40 million contract in March, though, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport predicted the Eagles would renew their efforts to shop Kendricks around the league.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And as far as Ballard not "guaranteeing" anything, ok, that's fair, but does he seem like a guy who has any doubts about what he's saying with regards to Luck? He's on record, at multiple press conferences, claiming Andrew has a chip on his shoulder, and that he's "going to prove a lot of people wrong." It just doesn't strike me as something he'd be saying if Luck were still several months away from being recovered.

I agree because Ballard wouldn’t say ‘he has a chip on his shoulder and is going to prove a lot of people wrong’ if he didn’t expect Luck to be ready for the start of the 2018 season.

And he’s throwing weighted balls. Those are heavier than footballs. The workload of throwing a lot in practice shouldn’t be overbearing by any means. He’s gonna be as ready as he can be come August

Quotes from mathis

On what he likes about second-round pick Kemoko Turay:

“I don’t think he knows how much potential he has. It’s an untapped oil well with him. He has so much potential that it’s kind of through the roof that I didn’t know, I’ll be honest, until I saw him in person. The sky’s the limit for this kid, and I’m going to make him do it the right way, stay on course because I see a lot of great things in him.”

On if Tarell Basham could be a guy to make a leap as a 4-3 defensive end:

“Yeah, he took a big leap. A lot crisper from last year to this year, more professional, more mature. And he’s hungry. He really wants it.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey.....

I'm cutting and pasting a passage on the Kendricks story from NFL.com that I thought you'd fine interesting....

Selected in the second round of the 2012 draft, Kendricks entered the league with a reputation as an athletic, rangy linebacker ideally suited to the modern, pass-heavy NFL. After a promising rookie season, he was viewed as one of the most impressive young linebackers in football.

Over the past half-decade, though, multiple Eagles coaching staffs have arrived at the conclusion that he's best utilized as a two-down player, the ostensible source of frustration that has landed Kendricks on the trade block since 2015.

Kendricks, 27, is coming off one of his finest seasons in Philadelphia, starting 13 games for the Super Bowl champions. When impending free agent Nigel Bradham landed a five-year, $40 million contract in March, though, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport predicted the Eagles would renew their efforts to shop Kendricks around the league.

That's nice.  But the Eagles have been trying to get rid of him for a couple of years.  It be claimed that it was financial and it part it was, he was not worth what the Eagles were paying him.

As far as one of his finest seasons with the Eagles... he only started 13 games because of an injury and other than his rookie season none were impressive, so having one of his finest seasons when all the rest have been mediocre at best is not saying much.

He may be a great fit for the Colts but I do know that teams don't release players if they feel they are a integral part of the team's success, no matter what the cap implications.

13 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I once had surgery to repair a fractured pelvis that had some screws and a plate added. Now generally, many doctors will have you toe touch weight bearing and then gradually increase your weight until 6-8 weeks are up and then walk normal. This surgeon decided he uses a 6 weeks no weight bearing on the affected side and then full weight after an exam and on to physical therapy for strength. His belief was to fully heal the bone and give it no chance of Re fracturing by guessing is this 50% weight or 75%? I’d guess Luck throwing weighted balls is similar. This therapy plan calls for something different than what we think is the norm but could be very effective for the long term prognosis. 

I broke my hip in the Army and that was painful enough, I can't imagine how painful a fracture pelvis was.  I feel for you my man.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope we show interest on Kendrick.   He may or may not be what he once was...  but he's likely better than what we already have...    a one or two year deal would be just fine...

Oh certainly. .  . we have practically nothing at LB.  

Quite frankly, I don't think we have to do this but I don't have a problem with matching his old contract.  It doesn't sound like it was even that big.  We have money to spend and we need LB's bad.  And it's unlikely that we would suddenly get all the LB's we need from the draft next year.  

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, folks that is Andrew Luck running the offense and handing the ball off.  I don't think they would have him doing that if they didn't think he'd be ready for training camp.

I feel like they have to be fairly confident he'll be back.  If they where not confident in that, then they would have stayed at 3 and picked a QB.  

I don't think they are just nonsense'ing us to sell tickets.  Because they could have said he's probably done, gotten a rookie QB and the rookie would have sold tickets.  

Now if he's not ready for camp, my view is going to change and be a lot more negative.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's nice.  But the Eagles have been trying to get rid of him for a couple of years.  It be claimed that it was financial and it part it was, he was not worth what the Eagles were paying him.

As far as one of his finest seasons with the Eagles... he only started 13 games because of an injury and other than his rookie season none were impressive, so having one of his finest seasons when all the rest have been mediocre at best is not saying much.

He may be a great fit for the Colts but I do know that teams don't release players if they feel they are a integral part of the team's success, no matter what the cap implications.

If the above in bold were true,  wouldn't that pretty much do away with free agency?

I mean,  what team would sign any player if that player was let go by his previous team?

29 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh certainly. .  . we have practically nothing at LB.  

Quite frankly, I don't think we have to do this but I don't have a problem with matching his old contract.  It doesn't sound like it was even that big.  We have money to spend and we need LB's bad.  And it's unlikely that we would suddenly get all the LB's we need from the draft next year.  

I think Kendricks old contract is a pretty good size.    I want to say something like $7.6 Mill.

That's not a lot in March....    but at this time of year,  it's a large number.   

If we have interest,  and I don't know yet if we do,  I would think the number will be smaller.... 

Likey,  maybe $5 Mill per?       I'm guessing, but that doesn't seem unreasonable one way or the other....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the above in bold were true,  wouldn't that pretty much do away with free agency?

I mean,  what team would sign any player if that player was let go by his previous team?

I will admit I should have put a caveat that teams don't cut players that are integral to their success for salary cap reasons; but no, it would not do away with free agency because there are players that are not integral to a team's success but could be to another team.  And despite all the media hype around the "top name free agents" most free agents are signed to increase the quality of depth or to be stop gap starters until someone better can be found.

Those guys are what most people consider the tier two free agents.  Now, every once in a while a player like Peyton Manning or Demarcus Ware will become available

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I broke my hip in the Army and that was painful enough, I can't imagine how painful a fracture pelvis was.  I feel for you my man.

I’m lucky I didn’t kill myself. Playing on high speed jet skis, flipped it or something doing 50+ and popped my face and fractured the pelvis and tore 2 muscles off the bone. Pretty ugly and uncomfortable but likely no rougher than a broken hip. Yours was likely at a youthful age, mine was in my 40’s and old enough to know better lol

23 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

"Until he throws an actual football and isnt sore, we wont know if hes ready"

Hes throwing weighted balls and from the looks of his physique, hes been lifting a lot of weight and no setbacks. Im sure those two things would cause just as much soreness if not more than a regular football. HES FIIIINNNNNEEEE.

The problem is not with Andrew's throwing.

It's what happens when he starts taking hits on that shoulder.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

The problem is not with Andrew's throwing.

It's what happens when he starts taking hits on that shoulder.

I hope one of his first throwing exercises is ....Throwing the ball away out of bounds when under pressure...