Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTAs 5/22/2018

TKnight24

16 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

yikes, it's almost June and he is still on the weighted lacrosse ball, no footballs yet. Im starting to think Brissett will be playing the first quarter.

Luck wasn't expected to throw until training camp anyway. I think we're still in good shape.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

yikes, it's almost June and he is still on the weighted lacrosse ball, no footballs yet. Im starting to think Brissett will be playing the first couple games.

They're rebuilding his throwing motion from the ground up. When he played the full season in '16 with the torn labrum, he overcompensated for it and it threw his motion completely out of whack. At this point I think that's the biggest issue, because given how he looks, it doesn't appear that his shoulder or bicep are bothering him.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

yikes, it's almost June and he is still on the weighted lacrosse ball, no footballs yet. Im starting to think Brissett will be playing the first couple games.

This makes me scratch my head.

1) Why would you think that?  Nothing from anyone inside the Colts brass has indicated he isn't right where they want him to be in 2018.  They've also indicated that he will start throwing in training camp.  

2) If there is any issue with Luck, which I don't believe there is, Brissett will be playing more than just the first two games of the season.  If Luck has a problem not sure why you would think it will be a couple of games issue.

21 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1) Why would you think that?  Nothing from anyone inside the Colts brass has indicated he isn't right where they want him to be in 2018.  They've also indicated that he will start throwing in training camp.  

2) If there is any issue with Luck, which I don't believe there is, Brissett will be playing more than just the first two games of the season.  If Luck has a problem not sure why you would think it will be a couple of games issue.

I think it's obvious why he said that.  Until Luck actually throws the ball and says he's pain free, we're hearing the same thing as last year this time.

I agree with your #2, except I think Luck is done at that point.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think it's obvious why he said that.  Until Luck actually throws the ball and says he's pain free, we're hearing the same thing as last year this time.

andrew wasn't the size of hulk last year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I would disagree with the characterization of this is what we heard last year too.  Last year the over-the-top commentary was from Irsay.  Ballard was always more guarded.  This year the positive vibes have come from Ballard.  I think that means something along with some other tea leaves that are pretty positive.  I get the point until he throws and we all see it, there will be doubt.

My larger point was point # 2.  Why settle on a random # like 2 games?  If Luck is not out there week 1, then I would estimate he will never be out there again. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I would disagree with the characterization of this is what we heard last year too.  Last year the over-the-top commentary was from Irsay.  Ballard was always more guarded.  This year the positive vibes have come from Ballard.  I think that means something along with some other tea leaves that are pretty positive.  I get the point until he throws and we all see it, there will be doubt.

My larger point was point # 2.  Why settle on a random # like 2 games?  If Luck is not out there week 1, then I would estimate he will never be out there again. 

Yeah, I think your larger point is true. 

@CR91 I'm not trying to be negative, but I don't think how he's built up has anything to do with if he can throw without pain again.

One other thing I wanted to mention. People seem to forget that when he was throwing in 16, and he screwed up his motion to make up for the pain, he still had one of his best years.  That's why I think that if he can come back, he'll come back with a vengeance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, I think your larger point is true. 

@CR91 I'm not trying to be negative, but I don't think how he's built up has anything to do with if he can throw without pain again.

One other thing I wanted to mention. People seem to forget that when he was throwing in 16, and he screwed up his motion to make up for the pain, he still had one of his best years.  That's why I think that if he can come back, he'll come back with a vengeance. 

I think it does. You could see how small in comparison Luck was last year and a lot could be because of the rehab or not being in the right state of mind. I think Luck is in a much better place both physically and mentally and you can see that from his work ethic recently 

48 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

1.    At this point one year ago, the Colts were saying the same thing.   So what they SAY has little meaning for me.    If Luck isn't throwing a regulation football until late July, I wonder how strong his arm will be?    I'm not worried about 40 passes in a game.   I'm worried about 100-plus passes three days a week in practice so he can develope timing and chemistry with his receivers.   @Superman floated the idea that he'd take one day a week off from practice as he did in '16.....    grrrreeaaat!   Just what we need!    I don't see how Luck builds up arm strength in the six weeks of training camp leading to the start of the season?

2.   I'm expecting Brissett to start the season.   I'm expecting Luck on the DL so he can return after week six.   Wouldn't be surprised if he's not starting until the bye week --- week nine --- and i'd be fine with that.   I think Luck starting the second half of the season would be great.   I think THEN, he'd be ready.

I know this post won't be popular...   and I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right....

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Ballard may have been more guarded, but he still leaned toward optimistic...   and even Luck himself was nothing but optimistic.   He told a group of boosters in the summer that he was confident he'd be ready to start the season...    

i dont think things got cautious until late summer when we all were waiting and wondering would Luck be throwing as camp started..

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

1.    At this point one year ago, the Colts were saying the same thing.   So what they SAY has little meaning for me.    If Luck isn't throwing a regulation football until late July, I wonder how strong his arm will be?    I'm not worried about 40 passes in a game.   I'm worried about 100-plus passes three days a week in practice so he can develope timing and chemistry with his receivers.   @Superman floated the idea that he'd take one day a week off from practice as he did in '16.....    grrrreeaaat!   Just what we need!    I don't see how Luck builds up arm strength in the six weeks of training camp leading to the start of the season?

2.   I'm expecting Brissett to start the season.   I'm expecting Luck on the DL so he can return after week six.   Wouldn't be surprised if he's not starting until the bye week --- week nine --- and i'd be fine with that.   I think Luck starting the second half of the season would be great.   I think THEN, he'd be ready.

I know this post won't be popular...   and I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right....

But they weren't saying the same thing.  They weren't saying he was throwing weighted balls.

As far as building up arm strength... that is what he is doing now sow hen training camp starts he is able to work more on timing than building arm strength.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But they weren't saying the same thing.  They weren't saying he was throwing weighted balls.

As far as building up arm strength... that is what he is doing now sow hen training camp starts he is able to work more on timing than building arm strength.

They may not have been saying "he's throwing weighted footballs"....   but they were saying the slick was proceeding according to schedule...   that he was not skipping steps...   that there were no set backs...   that they expected him to be throwing at some point during camp and that they thought he'd start week one...

As for the weighted footballs...  I'm not even sure he's doing that anymore.   I thought what he's doing now is throwing the smaller, underweight motion so he can get in a lot of reps and be ready for camp.

It feels like he's got six months of work to do and only four months to do it.   As always in these cases...   I really hope I'm wrong.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

1.    At this point one year ago, the Colts were saying the same thing.

Comparing this year and last year is a lost cause. Last year at this time, Andrew Luck was nowhere to be found, and Chris Ballard had zero to say about when they were shooting to have him throw, etc. This year Luck's all over the place, and Ballard guarantees that he'll be good to go by training camp.

You really think Chris Ballard would risk his entire professional reputation on that type of guarantee just to sell a few tickets? Personally I don't, & I think if he were doing that, it'd be career suicide. Maybe not immediately, but eventually, that's something that would come back to bite him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Has anyone ever observed or participated in the Tom House throwing academy?

I have every confidence he'll be ready by training camp.

The other thing people are not recognizing is Andrews body language compared to last year!

Yeah, if Luck did or is doing the type of drills they typically put throwers through, and he hasn't experienced a setback, then he should be fine. He's gone between that and throwing weighted balls, and done other rehab-type activities designed to strengthen the shoulder. They've said they're past any concern with needing another operation. I think the shoulder is healthy and will be fine.

The only question I have is about him sticking to his corrected throwing motion in game situations and getting his timing down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Comparing this year and last year is a lost cause. Last year at this time, Andrew Luck was nowhere to be found, and Chris Ballard had zero to say about when they were shooting to have him throw, etc. This year Luck's all over the place, and Ballard guarantees that he'll be good to go by training camp.

You really think Chris Ballard would risk his entire professional reputation on that type of guarantee just to sell a few tickets? Personally I don't, & I think if he were doing that, it'd be career suicide. Maybe not immediately, but eventually, that's something that would come back to bite him.

The part about Luck isn't even a little bit true....   during the summer break -- later in the year than we are now -- Luck attended some booster rally and said he was extremely confident he'd be back for the full season... 

I don't think Ballard is putting his reputation on the line...   medical situations are tricky and complicated...   and Luck's is clearly unique...

Im NOT predicting this...   I'm just saying if this happens I will not be surprised or upset and I don't think Luck's career will be over....

22 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Again, I'm not trying to be negative, I just don't think anyone except Luck knows how he's truly doing.  And until he starts his second game (with no indications of pain) I personally won't breathe a sigh of relief.

I also think that no one intentionally lied, or even implied things that weren't true.  Last year or this year.  I just think they were being optimistic.  Maybe I'm too trusting, but I don't think they were saying things to sell tickets.  Aren't all the games sold out anyway?

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The part about Luck isn't even a little bit true....   during the summer break -- later in the year than we are now -- Luck attended some booster rally and said he was extremely confident he'd be back for the full season... 

At no point during the offseason last year was Luck at practice with his helmet & jersey on, under center, during mini-camps, OTAs or training camp. Having him show his face at a booster event and what he's been doing this offseason are night and day.

And as far as Ballard not "guaranteeing" anything, ok, that's fair, but does he seem like a guy who has any doubts about what he's saying with regards to Luck? He's on record, at multiple press conferences, claiming Andrew has a chip on his shoulder, and that he's "going to prove a lot of people wrong." It just doesn't strike me as something he'd be saying if Luck were still several months away from being recovered.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All reasonable points.  I will say that no one anticipated he would have a set back last year until he did.  I guess that makes it a possibility for this year but I honestly don't believe for one second that will happen in 2018.  if there had been such an issue, it strikes me as it would have happened by now.

To your last line - i think you will be on here in October saying - "you know what boys & girls, I was wrong."

• Like 1

Oh look, another thread turned into a doomsday debate about Luck, how bout we stop worrying and debating and just see what happens? No one on this forum knows what's going to happen anymore than I can fly by flapping my arms really fast. 

• Thanks 2

"Until he throws an actual football and isnt sore, we wont know if hes ready"

Hes throwing weighted balls and from the looks of his physique, hes been lifting a lot of weight and no setbacks. Im sure those two things would cause just as much soreness if not more than a regular football. HES FIIIINNNNNEEEE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

He isnt using lacrosse balls he is using weight balls