Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richie Incognito back on the market

I just heard the Bills finally relented, and gave Incognito the release he asked for a while back.  They previously had him on their reserve/retired list.

So, who needs him (NYG?, etc...)and who ends up getting him?

And I'll steal someones thunder and say

" inb4 someone says Colts should kick the tires "  :cash:

1 hour ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

If Ballard thinks he makes the team better then yes. Don’t care that he bullied another grown man. 

Ballard takes character very seriously, and wants to make the team younger.  I highly doubt he'd consider bringing in Incognito

• Like 2

Too old, character questions and we are good and deep at guard.  Strong pass

Also I want to point out that no matter what you think about Martin (I think the man has some serious issues he needs to deal with), it appears that he and Luck may have been friends in college.  So there would likely be some tension there.  

• Like 3

i do think hes a jerk, but he really didnt do anything heinous.  most people have had to deal with a bully at some point, a grown man in the nfl should be able to move on from that

an oline with him and nelson is one that defenses would not want to face

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Also I want to point out that no matter what you think about Martin (I think the man has some serious issues he needs to deal with)

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i do think hes a jerk, but he really didnt do anything heinous.  most people have had to deal with a bully at some point, a grown man in the nfl should be able to move on from that

Interesting that both these comments deflect the conversation for the interaction between he and Martin onto the victim. The thread is about Richie and I assume...what fans think about him being on the Colts. Wouldn't it be about his actions...and not how Martin deals with it?

14 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Interesting that both these comments deflect the conversation for the interaction between he and Martin onto the victim. The thread is about Richie and I assume...what fans think about him being on the Colts. Wouldn't it be about his actions...and not how Martin deals with it?

im a colts fan and i wouldnt be mad if we signed him.  hes a jerk and a bully, but that doesnt mean he cant play in the nfl.  i didnt care when jackson beat up a pizza guy either 

• Like 1

You know, its really not possible for one 6.4 300 pound head banger to bully another 6.4 300 pound head banger.  Bullying is a term used for when a bigger kid constantly picks on a smaller kid and they are only in the same place because of matters beyond their control (by law, or parental decision). 

The past incident is simply about a big jerk interacting with someone who couldn't handle a big jerk as a teammate.  Doesn't sound like Richie has the type of personality that causes unmanageable problems for everybody, considering he's been in the league about 12 years.  Obviously by elimination, a big part of the problem was Martin and how the coaches handled the issue.

But we have too many Gs now anyway, so he's a moot point.

A big NO! We are deep at Guard. Why would Ballard sign him when we signed Slauson who's the same type of player as Incognito, 2 years younger than Incognito, and not a A hole like Incognito. Someone mentioned Martin and Luck were friends at Stanford; They sure were probably still are. 

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

You know, its really not possible for one 6.4 300 pound head banger to bully another 6.4 300 pound head banger.  Bullying is a term used for when a bigger kid constantly picks on a smaller kid and they are only in the same place because of matters beyond their control (by law, or parental decision). 

The past incident is simply about a big jerk interacting with someone who couldn't handle a big jerk as a teammate.  Doesn't sound like Richie has the type of personality that causes unmanageable problems for everybody, considering he's been in the league about 12 years.  Obviously by elimination, a big part of the problem was Martin and how the coaches handled the issue.

But we have too many Gs now anyway, so he's a moot point.

Size difference is a factor in bullying but it's not the only factor.  Self confidence is huge.  A smaller person can easily bully a larger person who has little self confidence.

When it first happened and I read the report on it I came to the conclusion and I still believe this that Martin has depression.  For all his size and being at the very least a good college football player he still ultimately lacked self confidence which IMO came with depression.  A guy the size of Wes Welker if he was enough of a jerk (and had the courage) could have probably bullied Martin.  

I would say those factors are fairly rare in athletes but that doesn't mean it can not happen.  I would also say given Martin's tweet that he made after parkland he has a lot of issues he needs to unpack with a professional.  

It's a more complex issue then simple size. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Size difference is a factor in bullying but it's not the only factor.  Self confidence is huge.  A smaller person can easily bully a larger person who has little self confidence.

When it first happened and I read the report on it I came to the conclusion and I still believe this that Martin has depression.  For all his size and being at the very least a good college football player he still ultimately lacked self confidence which IMO came with depression.  A guy the size of Wes Welker if he was enough of a jerk (and had the courage) could have probably bullied Martin.  

I would say those factors are fairly rare in athletes but that doesn't mean it can not happen.  I would also say given Martin's tweet that he made after parkland he has a lot of issues he needs to unpack with a professional.  

It's a more complex issue then simple size. 

I understand.  But to equate what happened in Miami with the general concept of school age bullying was a bit extreme, IMO.  In he schoolyard, the bullied kid is genuinely scared of the bully.  The worse thing Richie did was leave threatening and racist messages on an answering machine, IIRC.  You'd think that if he was really serious, he wouldn't knowingly leave make threats via taped recording device. 

Duh.

Richie seems like one of those annoying in your face tough guy jocks who's proud of it, but he's been in a sport that employs tough guy jocks for over a decade, so that should be considered.

We hashed all of this out back when it was fresh.  The only thing I still can not grasp is, why team mates create barriers when they are on the same team. No, you don't have to go to the country club with another player (especially one you don't like on a personal level) or visit their home, etc.  However, ponce in the locker room, everyone should at least have respect for each other in attempting to reach the same goals, team and personal.  Don;t like someone, stay away, or let them stay away from you.  Go out and do your jobs, then go your separate way after the games.

Richie seems to me to be a guy that isn't so much malicious as he just doesn't know where the lines in the sand are, (notably social issues) and if he does, it matters not.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:01 PM, DougDew said:

Because you feel that way doesn't make it so.  Jonathan Martin posted this in February!!

0223-jonathan-martin-gun-instagram-post-

If he did this while in Florida, I'm sure it wasn't long before he was 'Baker Acted' (Involuntary psychiatric hold in Florida).  Just like his bully buddy below-

36 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Incognito involved in gym altercation and now in involuntary psychiatric hold, according to tmz. according to the alleged victim was rambling about the government, heaved a tennis ball and dumbbell at him, and told him to get off his playground.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/23/richie-incognito-florida-gym-altercation-cops-called/

Involuntary psychiatric hold in Florida is called the Baker Act, named after the state representative from 1963-1972 (Maxine Baker) in FL years ago that had an interest in mental health issues.

Looks like psych issues for both guys ever since the 'confrontation'.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I understand.  But to equate what happened in Miami with the general concept of school age bullying was a bit extreme, IMO.  In he schoolyard, the bullied kid is genuinely scared of the bully.  The worse thing Richie did was leave threatening and racist messages on an answering machine, IIRC.  You'd think that if he was really serious, he wouldn't knowingly leave make threats via taped recording device. 

Duh.

Richie seems like one of those annoying in your face tough guy jocks who's proud of it, but he's been in a sport that employs tough guy jocks for over a decade, so that should be considered.

To be fair I think he just likes to push the boundary a bit until someone stands up to him and tells him to knock it off.  But he ran into someone without the confidence to do that and just kept pushing and pushing until it went all overboard.  

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Incognito involved in gym altercation and now in involuntary psychiatric hold, according to tmz. according to the alleged victim was rambling about the government, heaved a tennis ball and dumbbell at him, and told him to get off his playground.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/23/richie-incognito-florida-gym-altercation-cops-called/

Ehh after that he might as well retire.  He may have something left in the tank but given his age it can't be much and he seems to be a major risk for a 1 or 2 year rental. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Because you feel that way doesn't make it so.  Jonathan Martin posted this in February!!

0223-jonathan-martin-gun-instagram-post-

If he did this while in Florida, I'm sure it wasn't long before he was 'Baker Acted' (Involuntary psychiatric hold in Florida).  Just like his bully buddy below-

Involuntary psychiatric hold in Florida is called the Baker Act, named after the state representative from 1963-1972 (Maxine Baker) in FL years ago that had an interest in mental health issues.

Looks like psych issues for both guys ever since the 'confrontation'.

I don't understand your first sentence.  Seems to be attacking.

The flavor of my posts in this thread is that both are culpable for what happened in Miami, in that Richie has had a long career with the same personality he's always had, yet the only major problems it caused for his teams is when he interacted with Martin.

To show me evidence that both are a bit of their rockers is no surprise to me.

35 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair I think he just likes to push the boundary a bit until someone stands up to him and tells him to knock it off.  But he ran into someone without the confidence to do that and just kept pushing and pushing until it went all overboard.  

That's probably the most accurate way to describe it.  He's a full throttled 'hole until somebody fights back.  If nobody does, the throttle is stuck until he hits a wall.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We hashed all of this out back when it was fresh.  The only thing I still can not grasp is, why team mates create barriers when they are on the same team. No, you don't have to go to the country club with another player (especially one you don't like on a personal level) or visit their home, etc.  However, ponce in the locker room, everyone should at least have respect for each other in attempting to reach the same goals, team and personal.  Don;t like someone, stay away, or let them stay away from you.  Go out and do your jobs, then go your separate way after the games.

Richie seems to me to be a guy that isn't so much malicious as he just doesn't know where the lines in the sand are, (notably social issues) and if he does, it matters not.

When the whole thing happened, you were one of his biggest critics. I think he is unstable. Do you remember some of the things that his father posted on a site around the time that he was being investigated by the league. It was  :facepalm:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair I think he just likes to push the boundary a bit until someone stands up to him and tells him to knock it off.

Hasn't the prescribed response to a bully always been to fight back? 

In this case, the argument seems to be 'he's not a bully, he's just a jerk until you fight back,' and to me, that seems like typical behavior for a bully. In Incognito's case, he's been reprimanded by his teams in the past, even before the whole Jonathan Martin thing went public. In 2009, he was voted the dirtiest player in the NFL by other NFL players. He had anger management issues with the Rams. 

I guess we can call it whatever we want, but there's a years long history of him being disrespectful to other people, including his teammates and coaches.

His public actions over the last couple months make me believe he's unstable. He reworked his contract, then a month later fired his agents on Twitter. A few days later he retired on Twitter, directing questions to the agents he said he was firing. He would go on to say that his liver and kidneys couldn't handle playing in the NFL. A few days after that, he un-retired on Twitter. Not long after that, he begged the Bills to release him, again on Twitter. 

And now he's throwing weights at someone in a public gym (allegedly), and is now on an involuntary psych hold (again, second time in four years). This same person destroyed his own car with a baseball bat, and then said he was just venting. 

Bully or not, I don't think he should play football anymore. He seems to be coming undone, and he should probably get serious help before something really bad happens to him or someone else. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't understand your first sentence.  Seems to be attacking.

DougDew said:

You know, its really not possible for one 6.4 300 pound head banger to bully another 6.4 300 pound head banger. 

Jonathan Martin posted:

When you're a Bully Victim and a coward, your options are ... (posted in the pic)

You say it isn't possible, Martin said it happened.

Yes, they both are off their rocker ever since.

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

DougDew said:

You know, its really not possible for one 6.4 300 pound head banger to bully another 6.4 300 pound head banger. 

Jonathan Martin posted:

When you're a Bully Victim and a coward, your options are ... (posted in the pic)

You say it isn't possible, Martin said it happened.

Yes, they both are off their rocker ever since.

Words were said, actions taken, those are facts.   Martin THINKS it was bullying.  That doesn't make it so.  He could have such an overly sensitive personality that it warps his perceptions of situations to a point he can't even cope with the rigors of normal life.   In a way, his sensitive personality made Richie's tough-guy personality a problem for the whole team.  As I said, Richie has been in the NFL for over 10 years with several teams with the same personality he's always had, yet nobody has ever escalated it to a newsworthy issue.  Not excusing Richie.  I don't like his type, and I think he's high maintenance, but what happened in Miami was not what I would call bullying.  Just because Martin and others said it was doesn't make it so.

Supes summed it up perfectly. Richie has had multiple incidents over the years that makes his character questionable. This latest altercation mixed with his behavior the last few months should be enough for any team to pass. Mentally, there’s something going on there. My guess would be something similar to what Brandon Marshall has. BPD or some other personality disorder.

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Hasn't the prescribed response to a bully always been to fight back? 

In this case, the argument seems to be 'he's not a bully, he's just a jerk until you fight back,' and to me, that seems like typical behavior for a bully. In Incognito's case, he's been reprimanded by his teams in the past, even before the whole Jonathan Martin thing went public. In 2009, he was voted the dirtiest player in the NFL by other NFL players. He had anger management issues with the Rams. 

I guess we can call it whatever we want, but there's a years long history of him being disrespectful to other people, including his teammates and coaches.

His public actions over the last couple months make me believe he's unstable. He reworked his contract, then a month later fired his agents on Twitter. A few days later he retired on Twitter, directing questions to the agents he said he was firing. He would go on to say that his liver and kidneys couldn't handle playing in the NFL. A few days after that, he un-retired on Twitter. Not long after that, he begged the Bills to release him, again on Twitter. 

And now he's throwing weights at someone in a public gym (allegedly), and is now on an involuntary psych hold (again, second time in four years). This same person destroyed his own car with a baseball bat, and then said he was just venting. 

Bully or not, I don't think he should play football anymore. He seems to be coming undone, and he should probably get serious help before something really bad happens to him or someone else. 

The term "fight" is material.  IIRC, I don't think there was any threat of violence, which there typically is in a schoolyard use of the term bully.  

If bullying is about words and name calling, then I think constantly talking smack can be seen as a form of bullying, but that's regarded as "getting in your opponents head" by some standards.

But Richie has been a known element since his college days.  Apparently, he is a high maintenance personality that could be controlled with some sense of structure and purpose in his life, that some teams have chosen to deal with for exchange of good play on the field.  Seems like its catching up with him and he's heading over the edge as he gets older.  And he appears to be getting more randomly violent, towards simple objects at this point.  I don't think he is someone anybody should be around.

Lol at laying Cognito's actions at the feet of the victim for not standing up. That is like saying that the reason your house got broke into, is because you didn't have a good security system.

No, it was because some low life piece of crap broke into your house. 

Richie Incognito is not welcome here (by me at least). His face is the same as when he was a baby and his brain apparently stopped maturing at about the age of 12.

So what if he can block people and lasted 12 seasons in the NFL. It's a league where teams would sign a hippopotamus to play nose guard if they could get away with it. Even if the hippo had a history of throwing barbells at other hippos and has had previous suspensions for calling walruses very bad names.

No matter what Richie has left in the tank, the Indianapolis Colts don't need him or his substantial mental baggage.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:13 PM, Four2itus said:

Lol at laying Cognito's actions at the feet of the victim for not standing up. That is like saying that the reason your house got broke into, is because you didn't have a good security system.

No, it was because some low life piece of crap broke into your house. 

you are reading a lot more into it beyond what i actually said

i said a grown man should be able to move on from that. while Richie is a jerk, that does not stop me from wanting him on a football team.  

wasnt blaming the victim at all, you were very quick to accuse us of that 

On 5/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

We hashed all of this out back when it was fresh.  The only thing I still can not grasp is, why team mates create barriers when they are on the same team.

according to richie he considered martin to be a "friend"

they texted and did things outside of work together 

I wouldn't take him now, for sure.

He has some serious issues.... I won't speculate over whether it might be mental illness, CTE, or drug abuse, but he definitely has an issue that will need to be addressed before a team will/should sign him. 

I've read the phrase "basket case" on this forum with regard to many players and potential FA signings. In most cases, I've agreed that the player isn't a good culture/locker room fit. Incognito is the absolute epitome of those sentiments, though.

Regardless of what his actual issues are, no team has been able to help curb them and they have gotten progressively worse. Medical intervention is likely in order at this point. More hits to the head is not what he would appear to need at this stage of his life... not to mention the internal medical issues he has been facing with his liver and kidneys. 

I don't think any GM will touch this dude with a 10 ft. pole... Not this season, and probably not ever again. 

• Like 1

He's a talented football player, but seems mentally unstable. Having said that, I still find it weird he caught so much heat for the Jonathan Martin thing while Pouncey and Terry, nobody bats an eyelash at. As for his future in the NFL... I'm not sure if it's in the cards at this age, with his personality. Certainly not for a team like the Colts, who have some new exciting talent at guard. Maybe somebody will take a flier, you never know.