Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Emory Hunt: Colts draft grade and analysis

stitches

The AFC South is going to be interesting. 

The National Media has, in my opinion, underestimated the talent on this roster, by discounting the players on IR last year. 

The biggest question mark is Luck’s health and with the additions on the Oline, scheme and running the ball, Luck should be somewhat safer than he has been.   One could probably make an argument for any of the four teams winning the division. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

The National Media has, in my opinion, underestimated the talent on this roster, by discounting the players on IR last year. 

The biggest question mark is Luck’s health and with the additions on the Oline, scheme and running the ball, Luck should be somewhat safer than he has been.   One could probably make an argument for any of the four teams winning the division. 

I disagree with the bolded part.  This team was very bare in the talent on the roster.   Most notably the depth.   Ballard has been working on it though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree with the bolded part.  This team was very bare in the talent on the roster.   Most notably the depth.   Ballard has been working on it though.  

I think we have more depth on the lineup then we've ever had. Especially on the OL/DL. We've never had this deep of group of veterans and rookies before. It may lack top end talent I definitely agree but we have a lot more depth in my mind. RB/TE very very deep. WR not so much and Corner not so much....but even LB and S have more depth then we've had in a long time. We just don't have stars...play makers...but let's give it some time and see if some guys shine from all this competition. The thing about the defense and offense we are running....they aren't dependent on big name players at WR/CB. It's a very dynamic offense that puts guys in position to succeed. I wouldn't say Philly has just overwhelming talent at wr but they run concepts etc that get people open. Defense we don't need traits of a lock down corner...but need those with good anticipation to drive on balls and size for tackling. We might seem thin at those positions..especially talent but with our new system it isn't so talent dependent there. I'm impressed with what Ballard is doing. He probably isn't done and I welcome any help he will get...but I think we are vastly deeper (especially in the trenches) then we've ever been. There aren't any Suh's or Donalds or Von Millers etc but we have a deep reserve of guys that fit very well. We may not have any Norwells and Smiths on the OL but I'm more than pleased with what he has given us. When guys like Mewhort and Haeg who have been starters might not even make the team then you know we have a lot of good options. So top end talent bare...yes....depth I kinda disagree.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we have more depth on the lineup then we've ever had. Especially on the OL/DL. We've never had this deep of group of veterans and rookies before. It may lack top end talent I definitely agree but we have a lot more depth in my mind. RB/TE very very deep. WR not so much and Corner not so much....but even LB and S have more depth then we've had in a long time. We just don't have stars...play makers...but let's give it some time and see if some guys shine from all this competition. The thing about the defense and offense we are running....they aren't dependent on big name players at WR/CB. It's a very dynamic offense that puts guys in position to succeed. I wouldn't say Philly has just overwhelming talent at wr but they run concepts etc that get people open. Defense we don't need traits of a lock down corner...but need those with good anticipation to drive on balls and size for tackling. We might seem thin at those positions..especially talent but with our new system it isn't so talent dependent there. I'm impressed with what Ballard is doing. He probably isn't done and I welcome any help he will get...but I think we are vastly deeper (especially in the trenches) then we've ever been. There aren't any Suh's or Donalds or Von Millers etc but we have a deep reserve of guys that fit very well. We may not have any Norwells and Smiths on the OL but I'm more than pleased with what he has given us. When guys like Mewhort and Haeg who have been starters might not even make the team then you know we have a lot of good options. So top end talent bare...yes....depth I kinda disagree.

Nelson, Smith, Slauson, Howard all at once is an amazing group compared to what Grigson did for us. Exciting.
 Adding Autry and Leonard on D fits very well.
After that, it is just speculation that our rookies are Depth right now. They are surely a ways away from being up to the mission of being NFL ready during year one.
 I do have a real belief that Ballard, Reich, and their staffs are going to be very good together at their jobs of teaching and building both sides of the ball. But it takes time and considerable game experience to sync up the young minds and skill sets.
 For those that have coached, it will be fun closely watching all these young guys getting better as the season, years go by.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If our defense is as good as I think it is, we can get a wild card spot or even win the division, but we need to show we can beat the Jaguars and the Texans at full strength. The Titans I’m not worried about because they barely beat us last year and we were garbage. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Seems like he really like our class. He also shares his UDFA sleepers from this Colts class ^

I just saw this on Twitter. He mentions that the OL actually played pretty well last year, and that the Colts will compete for the division with or without Luck. Not sure I agree with either of those comments, but I definitely liked the insight into our draft haul.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I just saw this on Twitter. He mentions that the OL actually played pretty well last year, and that the Colts will compete for the division with or without Luck. Not sure I agree with either of those comments, but I definitely liked the insight into our draft haul.

Same, I don't agree with his assessment of our O-line play last year and I don't think we will compete without Luck... but IMO if Luck is healthy and back to form we will be .500+

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stitches said:

Seems like he really like our class. He also shares his UDFA sleepers from this Colts class ^

What?? We allowed 10 sacks vs one team. LMAO, I thought the video analysis was off to begin with since he had Nelson lower than Smith. His ‘athleticism’ will not make him better than Nelson and Nelson is the better athlete anyway. He has more bend and better setup than Smith does, speed does not equal athleticism. I’m not coming at you, but the YouTuber for his awful evaluation. Our offensive line was awful last year and Nelson should be in the high 80 range. Not 70s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree that Ballard has helped us acquire depth at some positions.  

Most  predictions at this time of the year come more from the previous years team than what the offseason moves have done.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

What?? We allowed 10 sacks vs one team. LMAO, I thought the video analysis was off to begin with since he had Nelson lower than Smith. His ‘athleticism’ will not make him better than Nelson and Nelson is the better athlete anyway. He has more bend and better setup than Smith does, speed does not equal athleticism. I’m not coming at you, but the YouTuber for his awful evaluation. Our offensive line was awful last year and Nelson should be in the high 80 range. Not 70s

We led the league in sacks allowed, Brissett got sacked 52 times.

I don't want whatever he's smoking.

• Like 1

So he listed George Odum from Central Arkansas and Chris Cooper from Stony Brook as having balled out at the FBS Tropical Bowl and that they are combo safeties (FS, SS, Nickel) plus we just signed Michael Cirino who is listed as the same. Besides thier size.....they all ran in the 4.4's as well, so they can all run.

This makes me genuinely curious as to whether our safeties will be interchangeable in the future, as in 2 deep......or will we play the cover 3 with 1 deep and 1 in the box?

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

This makes me genuinely curious as to whether our safeties will be interchangeable in the future, as in 2 deep......or will we play the cover 3 with 1 deep and 1 in the box?

I believe we will be in a sub package a good deal of the time (Nickel, big Nickel, Dime, etc...) and at other times we'll be in base 4 - 3 Tampa 2 zone with MIKE taking middle deep zone drop as necessary.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, Luck 4 president said:

Nelson with a 78 grade? He must be the only person in the world who thinks Smith is better than Nelson. 

That stood out to me too.  I’ve watched a bunch of QN’s tapes (and not just the highlights) and I came away thinking that he’s one of the best OLs I’ve ever seen.

Granted, college isn’t the NFL.  So you have to take that into consideration.  Still, his footwork is absolutely impeccable -- textbook every snap.  He rarely gets beat by bullrush charges.  When he establishes solid contact, he rarely loses it.  He excels at picking up blitzes.  He’s freakishly great at pulling for a guy his size.  And he does it all without picking up holding penalties.

He has the makings of being a transformative player...which is why he’s one of the highest OGs ever selected.

Out of the entire class, the player he has with the highest grade is.....   Braden Smith?!?     With an 80 out of 100.

And Quinton Nelson has a score of 78.

Doesn't this alone disqualify Hunt as someone to pay attention to?

I mean...   who is this guy and why do we care?    Seriously.    Honestly.   

The line did do better than a lot of fans think they were in the slightly above average category.  Those that point to the sack numbers seem to forget there is more to oline play than not giving up sacks.

They need to keep haeg out of the guard position and Vuj needs to be relegated to lineman for some other team.  But overall they were not the worst oline in the league.

• Thanks 1