stitches

[John Owning] Colts DE Jabaal Sheard is the player who kicks the most butt but fans know the least

With some consistent pressure from the opposite side, Sheard could really break out this year. He was doing it by himself most of the time.

• Like 1

The unfortunate reality is that too many believe that every player on a bad team is bad and every player on a good team is good.  Too little credit goes to the warriors on a bottom five team.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

With some consistent pressure from the opposite side, Sheard could really break out this year. He was doing it by himself most of the time.

You reminded me of a play in the Pittsburgh game where Sheard gets triple teamed, because there's no threat from the other edge (2:50 mark in the video highlights).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017111203/2017/REG10/steelers@colts#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000875859&tab=videos

I'm glad Sheard is getting some cred here. He played very well last year and might just flourish in the new 4-3. Certainly a key member of the D this year. 

4 hours ago, That Guy said:

The unfortunate reality is that too many believe that every player on a bad team is bad and every player on a good team is good.  Too little credit goes to the warriors on a bottom five team.

Expanding on this very good thought.....

Too many also believe that every coach on a bad team is a bad coach.

There was considerable astonishment when most of our assistants were quickly scooped up.      What?    Other teams thought we had good assistants?     How is that even possible?     That was the theme here in January and February when that happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Expanding on this very good thought.....

Too many also believe that every coach on a bad team is a bad coach.

There was considerable astonishment when most of our assistants were quickly scooped up.      What?    Other teams thought we had good assistants?     How is that even possible?     That was the theme here in January and February when that happened.

There was some poor coaching by some members of the  staff. But this also reveals that the talent level was not good, and the head coach stunk. You can't overcome that combination no matter how good an Asst. Coach you may be, and I suspect most of them got a pass because of it. 

6 minutes ago, Hoose said:

There was some poor coaching by some members of the  staff. But this also reveals that the talent level was not good, and the head coach stunk. You can't overcome that combination no matter how good an Asst. Coach you may be, and I suspect most of them got a pass because of it. 

:deadhorse:

He was good in the 3-4 and is supposed to be better in the 4-3. it seems like we got him some help in the draft, so the arrow is up! 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I could absolutely be wrong. And I hope I am. I'm just not letting the sunshine blind me.   If we're talking about FA WRs that come in expected to be the #2 or #3, that's a very small sample size in Ballard's time with the Colts. And Grant is the comp.   We can agree to disagree.
    • ColtsBlueFlu...really liked your list. I hope the Colts take in the 2nd round.
    • If you're hitting above .500 in the draft you're doing very good.  Especially if you're not blowing it on first and second rounders.  Hooker is a very good safety, which was Ballard's first 1st round pick.  Wilson looks as though he is on his way to developing into our starting CB which was his first 2nd round pick.  We got 3 starters from our first 2 rounds last year (and 2 first team all-pros).   Ballard had a successful draft year 1 and a draft he knocked out of the park in year 2.  He's doing just fine.     Given Doyle's health concerns and the lack of depth after him and Ebron (I think Mo Alie-Cox can become a very good player, and I think Ross Travis/Gabe Holmes can be OK back-ups), I think you are right that we'll take a TE in this draft.  Reich likes to utilize the TE's, and we're in rough shape (IMO) right now if Ebron goes down.  Plus, we don't even know if Doyle will play football again.  He's out until at least training camp with a busted hip.  I hope he comes back, but those things are pretty unpredictable.     There's still quite a bit of free agency left before the draft.  The Colts are talking with Inman about extending him, and they are really the only ones who know how well Cain is progressing and what they expect him to look like come regular season.  If we resign Inman, along with Funchess and TY, that seems like a formidable top 3 WRs.  The front office also likely knows what they think to expect from Fountain, some of the P.S. guys last year and what they may expect from Marcus Johnson.     Not only has Doyle had a hard time staying healthy, the injury he has is one that is not an easy one to come back to full strength from.  Hip surgeries are getting better every year due to improved medical technology, but they are by no means something that every person recovers from, especially when their livelihood depends on making hard cuts, taking on 300+ pound players as a blocker, jumping, and being tackled.  They say he's making good progress, but they wouldn't tell us if the opposite was happening.... and he could be making good progress but take one bad shot to the hip and be done for good.   I think if we re-sign Inman that depth is more of a concern at TE than WR.  However, I really wouldn't mind us adding another WR to this team that has home-run power.  We saw how vulnerable our pass game became in the playoffs last year when TY was playing hurt and a step slow.  Now that we know Andrew has his arm back and are pretty confident that we can give him time to throw, this offense would be that much more dangerous.  We only had 5 or 6 games last year with a reception that went for over 40 yards (long 68), and I'm pretty sure not all of them were deep passes.  I know this offense is built a lot on timing, but it'd be really scary if they built a few plays in that let Andrew drop back and blow the roof off the defense.
    • Talent will only get you to the next level but everyone else in the NFL has talent!  You need to take it to the next level- commitment, desire, practice, study period and anything else that’ll do you good.  This can’t come from the coach nor the team captain, it comes from you!  It’s great that some of the players committed themselves to the game and hopefully with this commitment others will follow.  I/we hope to see a positive in our W/L record. Keep up the good work forum people and players!
  • Members