Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Bashaud Breeland likely to sign with Colts

TKnight24

47 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

No, I doubt he will lose his foot.... but that injury / infection has been lingering for a while now and he still apparently can't pass a physical. It just doesn't smell right and I'd approach with caution.

Well, if it still doesn't smell right i'd approach that foot in a hazmat suit.  :jump:

6 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Wow.  I agree with your assessment if that is a recent eval of him.  Where did you get that and what's the date?

Thanks.

It was a film room study article in Carolina Huddle, fairly recent.

But, to be fair, he is a decent 'press / man coverage corner.  My issue is he likely won't be used in a way to utilize his skills.  He is quite a decent CB (not elite though) used in man coverage.  This is also from the same article-

"In 15 games last season, when targeted, Breeland allowed only a completion rate of 37% for 285 yards total in man coverage, and 47.8% overall. To add on, PFF has Breeland 11th best in the NFL in yards per cover snap. Finally, Breeland has 60 passes defensed in his career, the fourth-most among cornerbacks since 2014."

But these skills will not be used in our new D.  Anyone remember Vontae Davis, in press / man vs. playing zone?  I just feel Breeland might possibly suffer in much the same way.  When you line up 5-7 yards off the receiver/ball and defend downhill (vs. getting in the receivers hip pocket and sticking to him like he does fairly well) and pass a receiver off (to a safety, or other defenders zone) and then defend other receivers coming into his zone... etc...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2018/03/15/panthers-film-room-new-cb-bashaud-breeland/

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It was a film room study article in Carolina Huddle, fairly recent.

But, to be fair, he is a decent 'press / man coverage corner.  My issue is he likely won't be used in a way to utilize his skills.  He is quite a decent CB (not elite though) used in man coverage.  This is also from the same article-

"In 15 games last season, when targeted, Breeland allowed only a completion rate of 37% for 285 yards total in man coverage, and 47.8% overall. To add on, PFF has Breeland 11th best in the NFL in yards per cover snap. Finally, Breeland has 60 passes defensed in his career, the fourth-most among cornerbacks since 2014."

But these skills will not be used in our new D.  Anyone remember Vontae Davis, in press / man vs. playing zone?  I just feel Breeland might possibly suffer in much the same way.  When you line up 5-7 yards off the receiver/ball and defend downhill (vs. getting in the receivers hip pocket and sticking to him like he does fairly well) and pass a receiver off (to a safety, or other defenders zone) and then defend other receivers coming into his zone... etc...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2018/03/15/panthers-film-room-new-cb-bashaud-breeland/

It's hard to argue with this, he's a corner who is not the quickest, plays his best in press man and will want a decent contract. Seems to go against what the scheme change on D implies for what they want in corners?

• Thanks 1

Weird, I've read in a couple different articles that Breeland actually did well in zone coverage.

Breeland is a very smart, cerebral cornerback who reads very well in zone coverage.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/05/21/is-bashaud-breeland-a-good-fit-with-the-colts/

In a predominantly zone scheme like Carolina’s, having short area quickness is extremely important when playing in off coverage, as it allows a cornerback to quickly come up and contest the ball in the air, or make the tackle.

On this play against the New Orleans Saints, Breeland is in zone and delivers a big hit on Alvin Kamara, causing an incompletion. His impressive short-area quickness is on display here:

kamara_smash.gif

Breeland is a natural fit in Carolina’s zone scheme, and has the ability to stick with some receivers in man coverage as well. 

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/16/17129082/carolina-panthers-film-analysis-how-bashaud-breeland-improves-the-secondary

As for the article quoted above...

...it ends with quite a bit of praise for Breeland:

Summary, Criticisms, & Report

Overall, Bashaud Breeland is a player with a lot of potential. Currently, his play lands around a high-end CB2/low-end CB1 play. 

Overall, Breeland is a solid addition at a relatively cheap price in comparison to his free agent counterparts. At 8 million per year, this deal is a solid one that will last well until the next CBA. Breeland should provide quality play with plenty of upside.

At worst, Breeland’s just another CB2 on the Panthers.

At best, he’ll be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Weird, I've read in a couple different articles that Breeland actually did well in zone coverage.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/05/21/is-bashaud-breeland-a-good-fit-with-the-colts/

kamara_smash.gif

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/16/17129082/carolina-panthers-film-analysis-how-bashaud-breeland-improves-the-secondary

As for the article quoted above...

...it ends with a lot of praise for Breeland:

So the perfect fit? Maybe not. But I think he's talented and would easily be our CB #2 if not better.

I agree with you.  He'll fit in fine.  Carolina and Indy both have pursued him for a reason.  I'm sure they've done enough homework to know he fits schematically.

Anyone can post a highlight to prove a point, either way.  Here is one of Breeland getting beat in a Cover 3 Squat zone with the Redskins, by Crabtree.  Lucky for a poor pass and their rangy/speedy Safety coming in to lay wood for an incompletion.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GleefulHappygoluckyBetafish-mobile.mp4

He isn't speedy, big, nor a ballhawk.  But he might still be the best CB2 on our roster, when he is fully healthy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Anyone can post a highlight to prove a point, either way.  Here is one of Breeland getting beat in a Cover 3 Squat zone with the Redskins, by Crabtree.  Lucky for a poor pass and their rangy/speedy Safety coming in to lay wood for an incompletion.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GleefulHappygoluckyBetafish-mobile.mp4

He isn't speedy, big, nor a ballhawk.  But he might still be the best CB2 on our roster, when he is fully healthy.

The highlight just went with the article I posted. My point is basically what you said at the end, if healthy he’d be a solid CB 2, possibly even CB 1 on our team IMO. And if our goal is to put the best possible team on the field, I think he’d be a good signing.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I didn’t just post a highlight though, it just went with the article I posted. My point is basically what you said at the end, if healthy he’d be our CB 2 easily IMO, possibly even CB 1.

If he is CB1, we are in trouble. He would not even be CB2 for the Redskins now. Even though they traded Kendall Fuller for Smith, they have  Norman, they signed Quinton Dunbar to an extension and then acquired Orlando Scandrick in free agency. Add Fabian Moreau and there just wasn't room for Breeland anymore.  That's why he was an FA. If he is CB2 at best for us, I'd feel better.

In 2016 PFF showed he was #1 slot CB in the league-

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/one-surprising-stat-shows-bashaud-breeland-may-be-better-suited-slot

A Falcons article reported this above as well (before he got hurt) and about maybe getting him for their Nickel back. But added-

"Breeland isn’t without his blemishes on the field either. His eight penalties last season tied him for fourth among all DBs (Robert Alford had seven, as a reference point). He also has his fair share of bad games and has been susceptible to giving up big plays and big stat-lines in the past."

I wonder if his pay demands have dropped any (like Ryan Grant?) after he is healthy?

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If he is CB1, we are in trouble. He would not even be CB2 for the Redskins now. Even though they traded Kendall Fuller for Smith, they have  Norman, they signed Quinton Dunbar to an extension and then acquired Orlando Scandrick in free agency. Add Fabian Moreau and there just wasn't room for Breeland anymore.  That's why he was an FA. If he is CB2 at best for us, I'd feel better.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/one-surprising-stat-shows-bashaud-breeland-may-be-better-suited-slot

A Falcons article reported this above as well (before he got hurt) and about maybe getting him for their Nickel back. But added-

"Breeland isn’t without his blemishes on the field either. His eight penalties last season tied him for fourth among all DBs (Robert Alford had seven, as a reference point). He also has his fair share of bad games and has been susceptible to giving up big plays and big stat-lines in the past."

I wonder if his pay demands have dropped any (like Ryan Grant?) after he is healthy?

I think we’re kind of in trouble at CB anyways if there are injuries. We don’t have good depth. Besides, I think Breeland's better than Wilson right now if healthy. Wilson’s got potential for sure, and I want him to be on the field a lot, which he would be regardless if we signed Breeland or not.

20 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I think that no matter what scheme you think he'd fit better in, if signed he would be our 2nd best CB at the moment.  there just isn't much there IMHO.  Shoulda resigned our own to begin with.

Melvin turned down a contract to go to Oakland 

12 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The highlight just went with the article I posted. My point is basically what you said at the end, if healthy he’d be a solid CB 2, possibly even CB 1 on our team IMO. And if our goal is to put the best possible team on the field, I think he’d be a good signing.

Lets remember Breeland is from Clemson. That's all they play at Clemson is zone coverage. Press bail, off coverage and other stuff that looks like man coverage but is really zone tactics. He'll fit in fine if he comes here. I'd have to imagine Greg Manuskys defense was more foreign to him than what he'd be doing with the Colts.

• Like 1

I don't think that's it at all.  He never said he wouldn't use FA he just said he'd be selective with it. Preferring guys who fit the culture and colt like expectations.  I don't see how Breeland falls outside that paradigm.

14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This thread almost has the longevity of that Trent Richardson thread a couple years ago that wouldnt die.

I think the longest thread I remember in my six years here was for....

Darius Hayward-Bey.

I'm pretty sure we were over 3,000 posts...

over 75 pages.....     Irsay had promised we were signing someone big and important... I think he called him "a whale".

Those were the days....

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the longest thread I remember in my six years here was for....

Darius Hayward-Bey.

I'm pretty sure we were over 3,000 posts...

over 75 pages.....     Irsay had promised we were signing someone big and important... I think he called him "a whale".

Those were the days....

People like to exaggerate. Kind of like when TY said he was about to shock the world and he ended up just switching agents. :lol:

23 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Didn't he outperform Josh Norman according to pff? Thought I saw that posted somewhere,I could be wrong though.

12 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

A couple years ago TY announced on Twitter that he was about to shock the world. Everyone thought something big was in the works but all it was about was him switching agents. 

I know that....   I just don't understand how it was connected to the DHB thread that I mentioned.....

On May 17, 2018 at 11:36 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth........

Here's a USA Today story from tonight,  Thursday, May 17th....

Says Breeland and Arizona are reportedly NOT close an agreement.

Here's a link to the story.     It's not long at all.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/17/no-deal-imminent-between-cardinals-cb-bashaud-breeland/

I always like links from USA Today. A very reliable & respectable news source. A well written newspaper. Yes, a few of us still read those you know. Thanks NCF! :hat:

On May 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that but there are a few act like he is the 2nd coming of Deion Sanders in his prime.

This has already reached 6 pages.

My thoughts exactly CC1. I know Breeland would be a much needed improvement for us of course. Your Deon comparison in jest was hilarious to me anyway. LOL! 

On May 19, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Scott Pennock said:

He is not afraid to stick his nose in on the running game to make tackles.

He has shown he can play with his back to the QB and make plays.

He has shown good ball skills in his career.

In 3 years at Clemson he had 136 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 17 passes defensed.

In 4 years as a pro he had 270 tackles, 1 sack, 8 interceptions, and 60 passes defensed.

If we, as a fan base, liked Melvin and didn't want to lose him I would say we should be pretty excited to get this above average corner as a potential replacement!

Depending on the publication....he is either 5'11" and 195 or 6'0" and 195 so he matches up size wise for Ballards likes.

Good post here laying out his value SP. I don't really care what he did in college, but I get what you were driving at: He's always made his presence felt on the field in both college & the pros. Touche. 

You're a very good poster & you clearly know what the hades you're talking about. No question SP. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, aaron11 said:

he had one pick,  on a hail mary on the last play of the season.  it was a terrible throw, the QB was just throwing up a prayer really

i  agree that he was usually in good position, but he often did not make the play.  if he fixes that he will be a good player 

You are right...only 1....i think he had 2 called back.  I could have sworn he had one in the buffalo game.  I just am really impressed with his potential.   Its refreshing to see one of our corners who was right there around the ball and man.  For so long we have been used to seeing easy throw and catches on third down that just extend drives and wear out our defense.  To me the biggest stat for a defense is 3rd down, and i dont know the stat but from watching football, i would bet that we have been the worst for a long time now.  Wilson is a guy that can play press man in my opinion.  Just a few things to work on and he will be a number 1.