Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Bashaud Breeland likely to sign with Colts

TKnight24

15 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Imo it is not that easy as it sound's. Check their projected 2020 cap. The projected league average cap space - the average! - for 2020 is 72 mills. The Jags will be at -7 mills. Yes, they are already over the cap by having only cca 25 players on the roster. (There are 42 players on the list, but cca. 15 of them are just signed UDFAs, they won't be there in 4 months, so just remove the bottom 15-17). Ok, the cap will increase, but even adding cca 15 mills, they will be barely just below the cap.

They are more than 70 million over the leage projected average for 2020, with less players in contract than most NFL teams. This is insane. There is a reason why the league average is 70 million. Teams don't have 40-50 players under long term contracts, so that 70 million will be needed to replace (or resign) players whos contracts will expire. If the Jags will cut Campbell, Malik Jackson and Dareus, that's still only cca 45 mills, still behind by 25 mills to the league average. And other teams also will make cuts, so that average will only increase. That will not be enough to sign so many (30 ish) new players. They can't be all UDFA-s.

Imo, that team will fall apart in 2 years. It is just not possible to pay 20+ mills for a QB, 30+ mills for an oline, 50+ mills for dline, and have a Bouye for 14 million, a Fournette (under rookie contract!) for 6 millions, and so on and so on.

Check back what Coughlin did during his previous tenure in Jacksonwille. Exactly this. He spent all the money he could, then hit the wall, and left them there rot. It is happening again. (Except, I think Khan is better owner than the previous owner was, I think he is aware of what's happening and OK with that. He is focusing on the business side because his intention of buying Wembley etc. So he kinda sacrifised the long term for the short term by a business decision. Which is in his case might be a good strategy, he is very different than Irsay. But if I was a Jags fan, I would hate it. :) )

Yes! This is exactly what I’ve been saying .... same with the rams. People think they are building this amazing monster for multiple runs but they are wrong .... just because you bring in 3-4 massive contracts of players who demand more money then they are actually worth ( age wise ) but because of past reputation they think they’ll win .... sometimes it just doesn’t gel. Look at grig teams ... granted we didn’t have hat caliber of talent but still .... I hate to admit it but the patriots do it right ..... gather no name talented kids who want to prove themselves and can play who have flown under the radar .... win big with a good QB then when it’s time to cash in he trades them or cuts them. 

Even if his foot is fully healed, he’s likely been unable to run. That could raise some concerns. 

I also just read that comp picks don’t count unless they’re signed prior to May 8th. So a 1 year deal wouldn’t get a comp pick if he left next year. I only mention that because comp pics was brought up. 

Plus it’s my first post. 

• Like 1

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

The thread had a lot of other discussion 

And? Did I ruffle your feathers in some way?

Look, he is an average CB at best. If he gets signed by the Colts OK but he would still be nothing to get excited about.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

And? Did I ruffle your feathers in some way?

Look, he is an average CB at best. If he gets signed by the Colts OK but he would still be nothing to get excited about.

No 

when you rate him as a Colt you must look at the current crop of Colt CBs and his status as a top FA before his injury and the potential he could provide 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No 

when you rate him as a Colt you must look at the current crop of Colt CBs and his status as a top FA before his injury and the potential he could provide 

I rate him just like the NFL does. Average at best. If we can sign him to an average contract OK.

Other than that I am not going to get all giddy over him being a Colt.

39 minutes ago, SSFiero said:

Even if his foot is fully healed, he’s likely been unable to run. That could raise some concerns. 

I also just read that comp picks don’t count unless they’re signed prior to May 8th. So a 1 year deal wouldn’t get a comp pick if he left next year. I only mention that because comp pics was brought up. 

Plus it’s my first post. 

That's not how the comp pick system works. If we sign a player after May 8, he doesn't count as a comp factor against us. But if we sign him to a one year deal and then he leaves next year, he can count as a comp factor for us, as long as he signs with his new team prior to the May 8 deadline next offseason. So we could potentially get one good year out of Breeland and gain a 2020 comp pick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Asked a question 

You may want to punctuate.

Look Tiger, if he was just a cut above average I would be a little more optimistic, but he is not.

An average player for average money would be a good signing for us.  Right now, it’s a below-average spot on our roster.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, That Guy said:

You may want to punctuate.

An average player for average money would be a good signing for us.  Right now, it’s a below-average spot on our roster.

I agree. But sorry I don't get all giddy over average players being signed. I am not losing any sleep if he don't get signed by the Colts either.

4 hours ago, Savage said:

Can anyone tell me the anything positive about this guy?

He is not afraid to stick his nose in on the running game to make tackles.

He has shown he can play with his back to the QB and make plays.

He has shown good ball skills in his career.

In 3 years at Clemson he had 136 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 17 passes defensed.

In 4 years as a pro he had 270 tackles, 1 sack, 8 interceptions, and 60 passes defensed.

If we, as a fan base, liked Melvin and didn't want to lose him I would say we should be pretty excited to get this above average corner as a potential replacement!

Depending on the publication....he is either 5'11" and 195 or 6'0" and 195 so he matches up size wise for Ballards likes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

He is not afraid to stick his nose in on the running game to make tackles.

He has shown he can play with his back to the QB and make plays.

He has shown good ball skills in his career.

In 3 years at Clemson he had 136 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 17 passes defensed.

In 4 years as a pro he had 270 tackles, 1 sack, 8 interceptions, and 60 passes defensed.

If we, as a fan base, liked Melvin and didn't want to lose him I would say we should be pretty excited to get this above average corner as a potential replacement!

Depending on the publication....he is either 5'11" and 195 or 6'0" and 195 so he matches up size wise for Ballards likes.

The thing is, IMO he is not above average. He has never rated above average.

Is he any better that Desir, Milton, Moore or Wilson?  I am not too sure about that myself.

39 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No 

No
you rate him for what he is, and that is mediocre.
Then BALLARD looks at what HE THINKS he has on the roster, then considers what may come available between now and Final cuts. And also whether he wants to spend Millions of Irsay's cash now to build a very mediocre at Best Team for next season, or save the cash for Big signing bonus's for next years FA.
 Clearly one more bad record and another very high draft pick next year is in the best interest of the franchise, so the what to do is easy to figure.
 Signing the guy for a real bargain, with no guarantees beyond year one may appeal to our GM. Pure speculation.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

No
you rate him for what he is, and that is mediocre.
Then BALLARD looks at what HE THINKS he has on the roster, then considers what may come available between now and Final cuts. And also whether he wants to spend Millions of Irsay's cash now to build a very mediocre at Best Team for next season, or save the cash for Big signing bonus's for next years FA.
 Clearly one more bad record and another very high draft pick next year is in the best interest of the franchise, so the what to do is easy to figure.
 Signing the guy for a real bargain, with no guarantees beyond year one may appeal to our GM. Pure speculation.

Okay 

Was explaining not his talent but why people are talking positively about him 

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Is he any better that Desir, Milton, Moore or Wilson?  I am not too sure about that myself.

IMO 

Those guys scare me and bringing in BB as insurance/competition is not a problem especially since when there is no clue who will be available come cut time and/or what they want

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I love Desir, but he is a 27 year old journeyman that logged his first real starts last year....

Milton is and aleays will be a special teams gunner - which he is excellent at.

Moore showed promise as a gunner and as a boundary corner the last few games - TBD

Wilson is our best corner who played like it when he did get on the field.

Breeland has started for 4 years in a tough NFC East and done well. The Panthers certainly paid him as such prior to the failed physical. He will start for us if signed. Desir won't make it easy for him, but he'll start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Okay 

Was explaining not his talent but why people are talking positively about him 

My only point was every time a free agent becomes available some jump right on it and say we need to sign him.

When in reality do we really need to? If Ballard can sign this guy to an average contract and pay him what he is worth I have no problem at all with it.

At the same time I am not going to get excited about him because he is nothing special. We may have a couple of CBs on the roster right now who may be just as good a him.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO 

Those guys scare me and bringing in BB as insurance/competition is not a problem especially since when there is no clue who will be available come cut time and/or what they want

I never said I had a problem signing him. All I said he was nothing to get excited about.

I trust Ballard either way.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

My only point was every time a free agent becomes available some jump right on it and say we need to sign him.

When in reality do we really need to? If Ballard can sign this guy to an average contract and pay him what he is worth I have no problem at all with it.

At the same time I am not going to get excited about him because he is nothing special. We may have a couple of CBs on the roster right now who may be just as good a him.

The Coach in me practical and I am going to take the sure thing over passing because player X might be the next big thing

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Coach in me practical and I am going to take the sure thing over passing because player X might be the next big thing

But Breeland hasn't shown to be the next big thing so thus the no excitement from me.

Heck, we don't even know if he can pass a physical yet. Like I said, I will trust Ballard however it turns out.

But Breeland hasn't shown to be the next big thing so thus the no excitement from me.

Heck, we don't even know if he can pass a physical yet. Like I said, I will trust Ballard however it turns out.

You mentioned the guys on the roster as being the a breakout player and in today’s NFL the omly guys who get guaranteed playing time are the high draft picks and if the GM/coach can bring in someone that will contribute they will Over not and hoping a marginal guy currently on the roster might

26 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You mentioned the guys on the roster as being the a breakout player and in today’s NFL the omly guys who get guaranteed playing time are the high draft picks and if the GM/coach can bring in someone that will contribute they will Over not and hoping a marginal guy currently on the roster might

Tiger, there are no guarantees in the NFL. Ballard will sign who he thinks is best. The answers will be answered in training camp and pre season games. Since the fans are not as involved in training camp as they once were all we have is the pre season games to make our opinions on. We have seen in the past that pre season games are not what ends up being the tell all so we have no choice but to trust the coaches to make the calls on who starts and who are the backups. (and who goes home)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I love Desir, but he is a 27 year old journeyman that logged his first real starts last year....

Milton is and aleays will be a special teams gunner - which he is excellent at.

Moore showed promise as a gunner and as a boundary corner the last few games - TBD

Wilson is our best corner who played like it when he did get on the field.

Breeland has started for 4 years in a tough NFC East and done well. The Panthers certainly paid him as such prior to the failed physical. He will start for us if signed. Desir won't make it easy for him, but he'll start.

Exactly.  We don't have too many young four year starters on our team period.  He received a nice contract from Carolina before he failed the physical and rightly deserved.  He is a proven and capable starter in this league and would certainly start unless Desir has a huge preseason.  I hope it all works out and we sign him.  We could certainly use another proven veteran CB in our secondary and he would be a real nice addition at this time of the year.