Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Bashaud Breeland likely to sign with Colts

TKnight24

I'd love to land Breeland but I always hate when we have a visit and then a guy is already heading somewhere else afterwards. typically we won't get in to a  bidding war over a guy, especially this late in the game.

With the cap room we have and the fact that signing now do not impact comp picks for next year, I'd love to see us sign him.

Ryan Grant only got 1 year and $5M from us after the Ravens backed out of his 4 year $29M deal.

I wonder what Breeland will get from us or someone after his 3 year $24M deal was torn up.

I'd be happy w a one year deal in the $5-$6M range or a longer term contract in the range of 3 years and $20M which would be around what DJ Hayden got when signing w Jacksonville.

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I'd love to land Breeland but I always hate when we have a visit and then a guy is already heading somewhere else afterwards. typically we won't get in to a  bidding war over a guy, especially this late in the game.

With the cap room we have and the fact that signing now do not impact comp picks for next year, I'd love to see us sign him.

Ryan Grant only got 1 year and $5M from us after the Ravens backed out of his 4 year $29M deal.

I wonder what Breeland will get from us or someone after his 3 year $24M deal was torn up.

I'd be happy w a one year deal in the $5-$6M range or a longer term contract in the range of 3 years and $20M which would be around what DJ Hayden got when signing w Jacksonville.

The B.B. injury was a bit different than the RG injury

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The B.B. injury was a bit different than the RG injury

Oh agreed. And not saying they're one in the same. Just saying that the first initial wave of signings, guys tend to get the best money they can. And when Grant's deal fell through he had to settle for a lot less.

I wonder how much less Breeland will end up settling for now compared to his 3 year, $24M deal at an $8M annual salary.

Seems like he waited for his foot to heal completely. He wants that original money, and I don't think the Colts are going to give it to him.

Edit: If they do sign him, they waited out a murky situation and might get a really good free agent in a cool market without giving up a comp pick. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Seems like he waited for his foot to heal completely. He wants that original money, and I don't think the Colts are going to give it to him.

Yup, this is what I’m thinking. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets around the same deal from the Cardinals or somebody else, but I doubt it’d be from us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, this is what I’m thinking. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets around the same deal from the Cardinals or somebody else, but I doubt it’d be from us.

Is it really worth paying 8 mil a year for a CB in our new D?   I’m not judging, just asking.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Is it really worth paying 8 mil a year for a CB in our new D?   I’m not judging, just asking.  

I would say a talented young corner (if healthy) is worth every bit of 8M per. I'd like to see us get him!

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Actually, going back on what I said, I’m thinking he probably gets around $6 mil per, just a little less than his original contract. I’d be fine taking him for that. That’s not really an answer to your original question though.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Kelvin Hayden got a contract worth more than $8mil per year in the same D and that was back on 2009.  The idea is with a zone defense you don't need top flight CBs...so we wouldn't need to go out spending $15 mil per on a Darrell Revis type of man-to-man CB...but spending half that on a quality zone CB..I can't imagine that being a problem.  

I mean...how much are you wanting to spend on CBs for this D? :P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That would make him the 24th highest paid CB in the league, at 55% of what top five CBs make. Nine years ago, the Colts gave Kelvin Hayden a contract worth $8.6m/year, to play the same position in the same (or similar) defense. It's not premium money for the position.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

By far the best corner on the market...he has had some ups and downs but it isn't like we need a lock down corner in this defense. If he is asking for similar money Carolina was offering then I doubt we sign him. If he is looking for something in the 5-6 million range I could see us biting. I would feel a whole lot better about our secondary if we brought in a vet to stabilize things for these youngsters. A lot of new faces in Indy this year..going to be hard for me to keep up with all the new guys lol.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edit: If they do sign him, they waited out a murky situation and might get a really good free agent in a cool market without giving up a comp pick. 

You make a fair point....

But, thinking out loud...   wouldn't you think Ballard and the agent have some level of understanding on money before Breeland would come in for a visit?

What's the point of Breeland wanting close to what he lost if Ballard is only offering a modest one or two year deal.

I'm hoping Ballard steps up with a serious offer as he did a year ago with Hankins...

Maybe 2/14?    3/20?    

I'd fear Breeland walks out the door if we're only offering something like 1/7.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the Colts sign him . This might be the weakest position on the team and with all the cap room , it should happen if Ballard likes him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wondering...does he still play on the outside or had Washington moved him to the slot? 8 million is quite a bit for a slot corner. Not saying we can't afford it but if he isn't starting on the outside it would have me wondering if we want him starting for that money instead of Hairston.

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

Very similar to the Ryan Grant signing. Grant was offered a huge contract from Baltimore, "failed" his physical, & landed in the Colts' laps at a bargain bin price. Maybe something like that happens with Breeland?

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Actually, going back on what I said, I’m thinking he probably gets around $6 mil per, just a little less than his original contract. I’d be fine taking him for that. That’s not really an answer to your original question though.

That pretty much what I would expect too.

DJ Hayden got 3 years and $19M

I'd much rather have Breeland.

So I could definitely see him landing in that ballpark.

Now to answer the other question, is a CB in our new system worth $6-$8M a year? That is hard to say.

Sure, we don't put as much of an emphasis on man-to-man skills in a zone defense. But we still need active corners who can cover and tackle and who can move quickly enough to actively cover their zones and get some takeaways.

There are almost 30 (28 to be exact) CBs making an average annual salary of at least $6M and 23 making $8M annually.

So basically Breeland deserves that kind of money if he is a top-25 CB in the NFL.

Is he? I am not sure. I would definitely feel better closer to $6M than $8M. But w our cap room that is being a bit nit-picky. If the contract is structured in the typical Ballard way w all the guarantees in the first year or so, then let the annual number be whatever makes Breeland happy. If we can get out of it after a year or two if he isn't excellent then who cares?

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

That would make him the 24th highest paid CB in the league, at 55% of what top five CBs make. Nine years ago, the Colts gave Kelvin Hayden a contract worth $8.6m/year, to play the same position in the same (or similar) defense. It's not premium money for the position.

I think he was ranked around the 50th CB.  Again, I was just asking not judging.  

I’m not one of those guys who cares about what they pay players, I care about how they play.  

If he’s the best available and will make our team better (by that, I mean his play and his salary’s no detriment to the team), it’s a no brainer.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You make a fair point....

But, thinking out loud...   wouldn't you think Ballard and the agent have some level of understanding on money before Breeland would come on for a visit?

What's the point of Breeland wanting close to what he lost if Ballard is only offering a modest one or two year deal.

I'm hoping Ballard steps up with a serious offer as he did a year ago with Hankins...

Maybe 2/14?    3/20?    

I'd fear Breeland walks out the door if we're only offering something like 1/7.

Ballard has brought in and let several FAs walk over the last two seasons. Ryan Jensen is an example from this offseason.

And it could be that the Colts make an offer they're comfortable with, and then Breeland goes to AZ or wherever else and they outbid us. Maybe we offer him the 2/14, but the Cardinals do a full physical and offer him the 3/24 that he originally had. 

I don't know, maybe this is what the Colts were waiting for all along -- many of us, including you and I, have suggested that this would be a possibility after the comp period ended -- but I'm skeptical that Ballard will match his original contract from March. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I think he was ranked around the 50th CB.  Again, I was just asking not judging.  

I’m not one of those guys who cares about what they pay players, I care about how they play.  

If he’s the best available and will make our team better (by that, I mean his play and his salary’s no detriment to the team), it’s a no brainer.

Whose ranking? And how many players on rookie contracts are ahead of him? If you adjust for players on second contracts, I bet he would be in the top 25 on that list. (Not to say that I agree with that ranking, but it's irrelevant.)

Overall, signing away an average to above average FA corner, even in our new defense, for $8m/year isn't premium money. Like you say, if he's a good player for us, it's a reasonable value.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

50th ranked corner?

I assume you're talking about Hayden and not Breeland?

Breeland was ranked in the 20's of the 100 top available free agents.

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think the Colts sign him . This might be the weakest position on the team and with all the cap room it should happen if Ballard likes him.

I said that multiple times leading up to free agency. But this does seem like a Ballard kind of move, waiting for the dust to clear and then striking when he sees a good opportunity. And it wouldn't affect the comp picks. I could see it happening, but I don't expect Ballard to give him 3/24, and I feel like he's still looking for that kind of contract.

Breeland is going to get a good contract from some team.  The question is whether Ballard is going to do it. He did bring in two safeties and a RB before his visit and nothing happened with them.  My guess is Ballard has his number in mind and he won't go over it.  That's how he appears to operate.  I think that's how we lost Norwell and a few others in the past.  Ballard sticks to his guns.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Very similar to the Ryan Grant signing. Grant was offered a huge contract from Baltimore, "failed" his physical, & landed in the Colts' laps at a bargain bin price. Maybe something like that happens with Breeland?

Difference, IMO, is Grant jumped at the next opportunity, while Breeland has waited two months, presumably to get what he wants.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Whose ranking? And how many players on rookie contracts are ahead of him? If you adjust for players on second contracts, I bet he would be in the top 25 on that list. (Not to say that I agree with that ranking, but it's irrelevant.)

Overall, signing away an average to above average FA corner, even in our new defense, for $8m/year isn't premium money. Like you say, if he's a good player for us, it's a reasonable value.

I mean we gave Greg Toler like 5 million....I'd gladly give 3 more for a better corner lol. I think it is safe to say he won't get the original deal from anyone....after all that is why he accepted it from Carolina....it was likely the highest deal. So I'm firmly in the 5-7 range and depending on years. If we have to believe 8 was the best offer he got before since he accepted that deal then likely people were offering less before....can't see why they would bid more now...especially after the draft etc. I think this comes down to medical and if we can agree on contract length. I'm sure we can be in the ball park on money.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

50th ranked corner?

I assume you're talking about Hayden and not Breeland?

Breeland was ranked in the 20's of the 100 top available free agents.

I don't get the correlation.  50th ranked CB is going to be his ranking out of CBs only.  Being in the top 10 of the 100 available free agents is going to include all positions.  So I don't see how the 2 correlate to one another.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, J@son said:

I don't get the correlation.  50th ranked CB is going to be his ranking out of CBs only.  Being in the top 10 of the 100 available free agents is going to include all positions.  So I don't see how the 2 correlate to one another.

I think the chances of the 50th ranked ANYTHING don't correlate to being ranked as a top-30 free agent.   Even in a down FA market like this way.

I'd like to know whose ranking had Breeland as the 50th ranked CB?