Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard is the Heart of Jim Irsay without the Impulse

NannyMcafee

The proof is in the pudding, how his draft players develop and contribute to Ws. That is how Ballard will be judged. He has a leg up on Grigson with the way he conducts himself with players and seems to be more well liked. However, it is a bottom line business. 

• Like 1

Getting the Irsay "mentoring Grigson" thing out of the process gives us real hope.
This was considered a deep draft defensively, and we wisely snapped up top O-line talent very early.
The athletes are coming big time from this draft it is plain to see.

By 2020 we should be loaded for Bear/GRIZZ. 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Calling Mr. Irsay impulsive is so off the mark, it's ridiculous. If anything, he is too patient. Good article on Ballard...click bait title. 

This article comes off more of a bash on Irsay than anything else.

• Like 1

Irsay loves this team and city. People bash the guy for past mishaps, but seriously, no one is perfect and he owned up to his mistakes and sought help. You can tell Irsay gives Chris all the slack he needs to build the team his way. I seriously have no problem with Jim Irsay. I'll miss him whenever he decides to step away as the owner of the Colts. We're in great hands with Chris Ballard, Frank Reich, and of course, Andrew Luck.

• Like 1

Irsay has his issues but this line that he's impulsive is certainly not true when it comes to football decisions.  

In fact it's sort of the opposite.  He took too long to let go of Grigson, took too long to let go of Pagano.

Impulsive owners fire their coaches every 2 years or so, often in the middle of the season.  That isn't Irsay.

On the negative Irsay used to have a bad twitter habit but he seems to have cut that out.  And of course he had problems with prescription drugs.  But his football decisions have not been impulsive or insane.

I actually admire Irsay's level of involvement with the Colts.  He's not some distant far off owner that you never see and just comes in to fire the GM or coach and leaves.  Irsay has an office at the Colts facility and by all appearences comes into work on a regular basis.  And you see him in the war room on draft day. 

But at the same time he's not Jerry Jones.  He hires other people to manage the football side

14 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Irsay loves this team and city. People bash the guy for past mishaps, but seriously, no one is perfect and he owned up to his mistakes and sought help. You can tell Irsay gives Chris all the slack he needs to build the team his way. I seriously have no problem with Jim Irsay. I'll miss him whenever he decides to step away as the owner of the Colts. We're in great hands with Chris Ballard, Frank Reich, and of course, Andrew Luck.

Honestly I think the only thing that is really going to push Irsay away from the Colts is ill health or death.  Guy likes the team too much.  Its too important to him for him to just retire.  

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Irsay has his issues but this line that he's impulsive is certainly not true when it comes to football decisions.  

In fact it's sort of the opposite.  He took too long to let go of Grigson, took too long to let go of Pagano.

Impulsive owners fire their coaches every 2 years or so, often in the middle of the season.  That isn't Irsay.

On the negative Irsay used to have a bad twitter habit but he seems to have cut that out.  And of course he had problems with prescription drugs.  But his football decisions have not been impulsive or insane.

I actually admire Irsay's level of involvement with the Colts.  He's not some distant far off owner that you never see and just comes in to fire the GM or coach and leaves.  Irsay has an office at the Colts facility and by all appearences comes into work on a regular basis.  And you see him in the war room on draft day. 

But at the same time he's not Jerry Jones.  He hires other people to manage the football side

Honestly I think the only thing that is really going to push Irsay away from the Colts is ill health or death.  Guy likes the team too much.  Its too important to him for him to just retire.  

I was thinking the same thing.  This is a unfounded shot at Irsay. We never signed free agents under Polian. He did however commit to doing something different, when he released Polian.  We should have won more than one super bowl with Manning but did not.  It was time for a change.  It wasn't at all impulsive. It was about addressing our shortfalls by bringing in new blood.  And he was patient with that process.

Let’s be honest here too, owner Jim Irsay was more than likely freaking out a bit when that all hit the fan. He is an impulsive man, he likes the shiny thing which is likely why he had such an affinity for Grigson until the end. Grigson played towards Irsay’s love of the big free-agent signing, the lack of patience for a process to play out, instant gratification and everything that comes with it.

This is just condescending horse hockeys

You see, whether or not Irsay is nervous behind the scenes because he’s awaiting a big move to make him want to grab the mic, Ballard’s even keeled process is leveling off the owner’s ability to have unrealistic expectations. There were initial expectations for Ballard to become this era’s Bill Polian for the Colts, and right now, that’s as important for Irsay as it is for the players on the roster and the future players who will come to Indianapolis because of it.

All I can say is that titles dissing Jim Irsay are click bait. People love to hate.  But, saying completely fabricated things about history is not journalism.

This is reminding me of the yarns that people spun around Grigson........'he's the son Irsay never had' and such.

It's fiction

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

I was thinking the same thing.  This is a unfounded shot at Irsay. We never signed free agents under Polian. He did however commit to doing something different, when he released Polian.  We should have won more than one super bowl with Manning but did not.  It was time for a change.  It wasn't at all impulsive. It was about addressing our shortfalls by bringing in new blood.  And he was patient with that process.

This is just condescending horse hockeys

All I can say is that titles dissing Jim Irsay are click bait. People love to hate.  But, saying completely fabricated things about history is not journalism.

This is reminding me of the yarns that people spun around Grigson........'he's the son Irsay never had' and such.

It's fiction

To be fair I think his twitter habit is what won him the reputation for being impulsive.  But when it comes to football decisions he's actually one of the least impulsive guys in the NFL.