Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign S Michael Cirino, release CB Kenneth Acker

TKnight24

We needed some competition at S, especially if we don’t sign one of Boston/Vacarro.

And not that I thought highly of Acker but man are we thin/unproven at CB. Hopefully some of our young guys prove their worth. I’m hoping one of Jackson/Henre does well.

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

We'll see what Ballard does.  For now the CB depth is even more shallow.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We needed some competition at S, especially if we don’t sign one of Boston/Vacarro.

And not that I thought highly of Acker but man are we thin at CB. Ballard surely has a plan, scouring the waiver wire or possibly going after a FA.

One possible scenario for a trade target could be Mackenzie Alexander CB Minnesota Vikings

Xavier Rhodes & Mike Hughes their first rounder last month look to be the front runners for the starting CB spots 

Chris Ballard could swing a 5th rounder or something for Alexander 

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

And not that I thought highly of Acker but man are we thin at CB. Ballard surely has a plan, scouring the waiver wire or possibly going after a FA.

We’ll carry 6, right?  Three probable starters in Wilson, Desir, and Hairston.  Moore, Milton and White are probably the guys to beat out.  

Not the deepest position group, but not horrible.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Just reading some things on google.  Cirino runs a 4.37.  Actually this article says 4.34.  http://www.asugrizzlies.com/news/2018/3/27/football-fb-cirino-turns-heads-at-nfl-regional-combine-invitational.aspx

Interesting article.  I know they signed him as a S but he sure sounds like a CB.  

I know nothing about him or Adams State.   Anyone have anything on him?

6 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

One possible scenario for a trade target could be Mackenzie Alexander CB Minnesota Vikings

Xavier Rhodes & Mike Hughes their first rounder last month look to be the front runners for the starting CB spots 

not a bad idea amongst several others.

8 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Who's playing nickle back for the Vikings?  Is it not Mackenzie?

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We’ll carry 6, right?  Three probable starters in Wilson, Desir, and Hairston.  Moore, Milton and White are probably the guys to beat out.  

Not the deepest position group, but not horrible.  

Yeah thin wasn’t the best choice of words, more like unproven. We’ve also got a couple hopefully decent young guys to compete in Toliver and Jakckson.

It certainly looks like Ballard chose Cirino over Boston and Vaccaro.  Maybe he decided to check out the veterans before he made up his mind.  From the look of things he also seems to be okay with the current CB's on the roster.  Cutting recently signed CB Aker says a lot IMO.  Of course we know Ballard is forever looking for talent.  No ones spot is safe except for a few.  

Ballard added pass rushers, wide receivers, excellent o-line prospects, a all-purpose back, and a VG LB prospect.
We will develop young corners for the system this year, mostly for long term depth it seems.
Next year i

foresee one of the several really good DT coming out in round one.
How about another LB and CB in rd 2.
Plus we will be in position to add one or two of these in FA.

Perhaps another RB in rd 3.
 It is a time for optimism.    

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Really though Acker would make the team. Watch for Robert Jackson guys. I have a good feeling about him

5-11, 191 pounds

The speed and size scream CB to me...not Safety...but you never know for sure.

1 minute ago, gnet550 said:

The speed and size scream CB to me...not Safety...but you never know for sure.

Yea that is too small to play safety. That could be Ballard's thinking. we'll see. I also don't think this in any way impacts Boston and Vaccaro

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Since when is 5'11" 191 too small to play safety?  Particularly FS.   I know a guy named Tyrann Mathieu who would beg to differ.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Or earl Thomas at 5'10 200lbs.

guys you're reaching here. you're talking about a tryout player to two pro bowlers. The thinking of moving him to corner is a possibility due to his size and lack of depth at CB.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Strange.That is not what colts.com had him listed as.

Cirino, 5-11, 191 pounds, played in 18 games (15 starts) in two seasons (2016-17) at Adams State and totaled 55 tackles (34 solo), 2.0 tackles for loss, 13 passes defensed, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. In 2017, he started all 11 games and tallied 35 tackles (20 solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, 11 passes defensed, two interceptions and one forced fumble. Cirino saw action in seven games (four starts) in 2016 and registered 20 tackles (14 solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, two passes defensed, one interception and two forced fumbles. Prior to Adams State, he played in 11 games at Ventura College and finished with 43 tackles (31 solo), seven passes defensed, two interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery (returned for a touchdown). Cirino also returned a punt for a touchdown.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

guys you're reaching here. you're talking about a tryout player to two pro bowlers. The thinking possibly due to his size and due to our lack of depth at CB, it does make sense from that stand point

It's not a reach at all.  We're talking about body size and there is way more examples than those two.  Many more but I can agree he could probably play either one maybe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

guys you're reaching here. you're talking about a tryout player to two pro bowlers. The thinking of moving him to corner is a possibility due to his size and lack of depth at CB.

We're not reaching.  No one is saying that Crine is going to be a good football player or even make the team.  Just saying that the idea of him being too small for safety is ridiculous and pointed out two examples of smaller safeties.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

We're not reaching.  No one is saying that Crine is going to be a good football player or even make the team.  Just saying that the idea of him being too small for safety is ridiculous and pointed out two examples of smaller safeties.  

I don't have the statistic, but im sure the average height and weight of an NFL safety is 6 1 210 pounds. If he can play safety, that is great, but imo hes built more like a CB. 

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Strange.That is not what colts.com had him listed as.

Cirino, 5-11, 191 pounds, played in 18 games (15 starts) in two seasons (2016-17) at Adams State and totaled 55 tackles (34 solo), 2.0 tackles for loss, 13 passes defensed, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. In 2017, he started all 11 games and tallied 35 tackles (20 solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, 11 passes defensed, two interceptions and one forced fumble. Cirino saw action in seven games (four starts) in 2016 and registered 20 tackles (14 solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, two passes defensed, one interception and two forced fumbles. Prior to Adams State, he played in 11 games at Ventura College and finished with 43 tackles (31 solo), seven passes defensed, two interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery (returned for a touchdown). Cirino also returned a punt for a touchdown.

Hey, I was listed as 2 inches taller and about 10lbs heavier in our high school program.  

Ive made up that ten pounds since then.  And more.  Not so much with the height.  

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't have the statistic, but im sure the average height and weight of an NFL safety is 6 1 210 pounds. If he can play safety, that is great, but imo hes built more like a CB. 

In a lot of defenses yes and he is a bit on the small side probably one of the reasons he played for Adams State rather than a major program.  But from what Ballard has been doing there is not a lot of size difference from CB to safety.  

Everything i read previously about him was that he was a CB. Even in the pics/videos from the rookie mini camp he was at/near the LOS lined up as a CB. We cut a CB in favor of him and his measurables all say CB as well....perhaps it's just a typo? In an interview he listed himself as a CB/Free Safety/Nickel.....his words.

http://www.asugrizzlies.com/news/2018/3/27/football-fb-cirino-turns-heads-at-nfl-regional-combine-invitational.aspx

Also, they could REALLY like any one of Toliver, Durr or Jackson over Acker as well!??!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

In a lot of defenses yes and he is a bit on the small side probably one of the reasons he played for Adams State rather than a major program.  But from what Ballard has been doing there is not a lot of size difference from CB to safety.  

height wise, yes, but each of our safeties currently on the roster are atleast 200 pounds

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That they are... I don't know if they are going to chose his position based on 9 lbs though.

guess we'll just have to wait and see, but from what I can tell from some of his pictures on the website, it looks like hes lined up at CB

• Like 1

If they were going to sign him as a CB why not sign him at the same time you sign the tackle from the rookie minicamp?  Instead they sign him after bringing in two veteran safeties for a look see and then announce his signing as being a safety.  Seems clear to me what happened and where they view his position. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Everything i read previously about him was that he was a CB. Even in the pics/videos from the rookie mini camp he was at/near the LOS lined up as a CB. We cut a CB in favor of him and his measurables all say CB as well....perhaps it's just a typo? In an interview he listed himself as a CB/Free Safety/Nickel.....his words.

http://www.asugrizzlies.com/news/2018/3/27/football-fb-cirino-turns-heads-at-nfl-regional-combine-invitational.aspx

Also, they could REALLY like any one of Toliver, Durr or Jackson over Acker as well!??!

Possible, but they have him listed on the roster as a Safety.  Usually ends up working out how they have the player listed on the roster in most cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1