Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Mic’d Up

TKnight24

This video along with the Reggie video makes me really excited about our young receivers. I'm excited about our offense in general but it seems like our WR group especially is getting some really good coaching.

Also fun to see Reich give Nelson the privilege to break the team down at the end.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm seriously so happy McDaniels went back to New England and we ended up with Reich.

We seriously dodged a bullet and I was one of the one who wanted McDaniels.  We def found the right guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

“Quenton break em down”

Says a lot IMO. Nelson is probably a 1st year team captain. I thinks he going to be a historic Colt.

that is still rookies and 1st year players. its not a big surprise to have the top pick break em down

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm seriously so happy McDaniels went back to New England and we ended up with Reich.

And what's better is that Reich seems to not mind being handcuffed to that snake's coaching staff, which is a great sign. It's almost like we got a very solid group of coordinators, handpicked by McD, but without actually having to have McD. Seems like a win-win.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And what's better is that Reich seems to not mind being handcuffed to that snake's coaching staff, which is a great sign. It's almost like we got a very solid group of coordinators, handpicked by McD, but without actually having to have McD. Seems like a win-win.

I think Ballard picked Eberflus, but DeGuglielmo was probably McDaniels' guy. 

45 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Reich seems to be a nice guy like pagano, idk about him yet. I hope he has the balls to call out his team when they aren’t playing good

Just because a coach appears to be a nice guy doesn't mean he is a bad coach. You don't have a clue on what goes on behind closed doors. This old out dated opinion that coaches need to be a hard a-- is exactly that. Most of today's players don't respond to that type of coaching.

The key is having a coach who knows his players well enough he can get results on a individual bases.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just because a coach appears to be a nice guy doesn't mean he is a bad coach. You don't have a clue on what goes on behind closed doors. This old out dated opinion that coaches need to be a hard a-- is exactly that. Most of today's players don't respond to that type of coaching.

The key is having a coach who knows his players well enough he can get results on a individual bases.

IMO a mix of both can definitely be a positive. If anything it starts with real football players. Hungry and driven players. I could care less how much a HC yells but every team needs "THAT". I think Dungy definitely benefited from those leaders in the locker room starting with #18. PM was never scared to set the tone with that fire in his gut. I think that guy up in NE has that fire too. A football organization is a huge band of brothers with every kind of character flaw. Sorry I just feel like many here still want the Dungy methodology applied just a tad too much. You can win many different ways... a current  example is that team in Philly.

2 minutes ago, life long said:

IMO a mix of both can definitely be a positive. If anything it starts with real football players. Hungry and driven players I could care less how much a HC yells but every team needs "THAT" I think Dungy definitely benefited from those leaders in the locker room starting with #18. PM was never scared to set the tone with that fire in his gut. I think that guy up in NE has that fire too. A football organization is a huge band of brothers with every kind of character flaw. Sorry I just feel like many here still want the Dungy methodology applied just a tad too much. You can win many different ways, a current  example is that team in Philly.

That guy up in New England is reported to be a totally different person that what he shows to the public. He is not that hard nose to his players than the impression he gives to the media. Ex Patriot players has said that more than a couple of times.

I read what Bill Parcells said about coaching. He said each player responses different to different things. Some players need yelled at while others need to be left alone. Some need a pat on the back while some need a kick in the rear. The key to success is for the head coach to know his players well enough to know what works.

Like I said in my comment, this idea of a head coach needing to be a hard a-- is old and out dated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Snakes coaching staff?

There are only two to three coaches with McDaniel's fingerprints on them.

The vast majority of the staff come from Ballard and Reich.   Ballard picked the DC and Reich picked the OC.

You remember differently? 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That guy up in New England is reported to be a totally different person that what he shows to the public. He is not that hard nose to his players than the impression he gives to the media. Ex Patriot players has said that more than a couple of times.

I read what Bill Parcells said about coaching. He said each player responses different to different things. Some players need yelled at while others need to be left alone. Some need a pat on the back while some need a kick in the rear. The key to success is for the head coach to know his players well enough to know what works.

Like I said in my comment, this idea of a head coach needing to be a hard a-- is old and out dated.

I was talking about TB12 being that verbal out spoken leader like PM18. My point is every team needs a guy to get mad when people are giving up. Whether coach or player you better have a few guys who will yell if need be.A rally cry......If your coach is not very RAhRah you need players to be. Dungy and Billy B have had real great locker rooms. Peyton, Brady, and any great competitor in sports hates losing. They expect the best from their team mates.

Give me a coach or player with passion for winning, over the guy scared to show his passion and competiveness. I love Dungy but I felt like we should've and could have done better if we weren't always so safe and passive as an franchise in those days. Playing it safe is smart but resting players when your team is rolling is not. Too many of those teams were often too soft imo not just on D, sorry just  not how I was taught to play or compete. Lol sorry for rambling.

4 hours ago, life long said:

I was talking about TB12 being that verbal out spoken leader like PM18. My point is every team needs a guy to get mad when people are giving up. Whether coach or player you better have a few guys who will yell if need be.A rally cry......If your coach is not very RAhRah you need players to be. Dungy and Billy B have had real great locker rooms. Peyton, Brady, and any great competitor in sports hates losing. They expect the best from their team mates.

Give me a coach or player with passion for winning, over the guy scared to show his passion and competiveness. I love Dungy but I felt like we should've and could have done better if we weren't always so safe and passive as an franchise in those days. Playing it safe is smart but resting players when your team is rolling is not. Too many of those teams were often too soft imo not just on D, sorry just  not how I was taught to play or compete. Lol sorry for rambling.

The resting of players in the Colts case was Polian, not Dungy.

Pagano had a great locker room and the perception of him was he was soft. Like I said, what goes on behind closed doors is never known.

I don't think you were rambling at all. I also understand where you are coming from but today's players are not the same mentally as they were years ago.

A good example of that is Tom Coughlin. He was a hard nose and his team was rebelling against him. He changed the way he treated his players and won two super bowls because his players came together because he learned how to treat and handle them.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lol we will see chief

22 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

Reich seems to be a nice guy like pagano, idk about him yet. I hope he has the balls to call out his team when they aren’t playing good

From a motivational standpoint, Reich seems to have somewhat of a similar approach to Pagano. From an Xs & Os perspective, Reich is playing chess, whereas Pagano struggled with the basics of Connect 4.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2018 at 7:58 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

Chop-chop...means "do it now" or "right away" -- in Pigeon English.

I thought (could be wrong) that particular phrase had racist connotations when used in the way you have explained...

I only listened to the audio, but was imagining (could be wrong again) that Reich was using it to convey how the receivers should be using their hands, as opposed to the slang... 

On 5/15/2018 at 2:31 PM, needanoline63 said:

Dungy was the nice guy of all nice guys.  Players said Dungy's version of chewing the team out was saying "Gentlemen, we can do better then this."

I don't think being nice necessarily means one is a bad coach.

Also as someone pointed out, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors.  These are just clips of Reich that the Colts made public.  If he started yelling at a player and getting in his face, they probably wouldn't put that in there anyways.  And I also don't think that you necessarily have to yell at players and get in their face.  

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

From a motivational standpoint, Reich seems to have somewhat of a similar approach to Pagano. From an Xs & Os perspective, Reich is playing chess, whereas Pagano struggled with the basics of Connect 4.

That's another thing, I don't think the main problem with Pagano was motivation.  I just don't think he adjusted well and often times he didn't prepare the team well.  

Far too many times the Colts got completely blown out by teams with less talent.  1 time maybe that's on the players but it happened so many times that I don't think you can look anywhere else but the coaching.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's another thing, I don't think the main problem with Pagano was motivation.  I just don't think he adjusted well and often times he didn't prepare the team well.  

Far too many times the Colts got completely blown out by teams with less talent.  1 time maybe that's on the players but it happened so many times that I don't think you can look anywhere else but the coaching.  

There was a topic somewhere in here proving how predictable our play-calling was and my god was it an eye-opener. I seriously wonder if Pagano was taking days off; that's how bad it was, or perhaps that's not a surprise given he and Grigson had to burn time undergoing group therapy sessions.

Yes, I 1000% agree it was the coaching, or lack thereof.

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

There was a topic somewhere in here proving how predictable our play-calling was and my god was it an eye-opener. I seriously wonder if Pagano was taking days off; that's how bad it was, or perhaps that's not a surprise given he and Grigson had to burn time undergoing group therapy sessions.

Yes, I 1000% agree it was the coaching, or lack thereof.

Would like to see that topic.  

Outside of getting blown out by less talented teams there was also questionable decisions to start players who seemed to be less talented simply because they where the "vet" or had the bigger contract.  

And he seemed to refuse to adjust to the team he had.  I'm thinking of during the 4th quarter in what would have been I think a game tying or game winning drive against the Broncos he let Joe Reitz go 1 on 1 against Von Miller.  Now Reitz is a good man and was a decent backup.  But 1 on 1 against Von Miller he's gonna give up some bad sacks and there is just no getting around that.  You can talk about how it's his job all you want but if you are a coach and you are handing a guy a job that's too big for them to handle and don't give them help when you could then it's your fault.  

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Would like to see that topic.  

Outside of getting blown out by less talented teams there was also questionable decisions to start players who seemed to be less talented simply because they where the "vet" or had the bigger contract.  

And he seemed to refuse to adjust to the team he had.  I'm thinking of during the 4th quarter in what would have been I think a game tying or game winning drive against the Broncos he let Joe Reitz go 1 on 1 against Von Miller.  Now Reitz is a good man and was a decent backup.  But 1 on 1 against Von Miller he's gonna give up some bad sacks and there is just no getting around that.  You can talk about how it's his job all you want but if you are a coach and you are handing a guy a job that's too big for them to handle and don't give them help when you could then it's your fault.  

Just on the subject of that play, Chud was asked about it and he said the play was not executed properly.  Reitz was supposed to have had help on the play but someone didn't execute their assigment properly and it left Reitz out to dry.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/9/22/13021634/rob-chudzinski-says-joe-reitz-was-supposed-to-have-help-on-crucial-fourth-quarter-strip-sack-colts

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

Just on the subject of that play, Chud was asked about it and he said the play was not executed properly.  Reitz was supposed to have had help on the play but someone didn't execute their assigment properly and it left Reitz out to dry.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/9/22/13021634/rob-chudzinski-says-joe-reitz-was-supposed-to-have-help-on-crucial-fourth-quarter-strip-sack-colts

Did not hear that before.  Thanks for the update, it casts the play in a new light.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Snakes coaching staff?

There are only two to three coaches with McDaniel's fingerprints on them.

The vast majority of the staff come from Ballard and Reich.   Ballard picked the DC and Reich picked the OC.

You remember differently? 

It's always been my understanding that McDaniels & Ballard handpicked the coordinators together. It's clear now that most of the coaches hired, outside of the OL coach, were all Ballard guys. This is actually news to me, but I feel a lot better knowing that these guys weren't brought in because they were who McD wanted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's always been my understanding that McDaniels & Ballard handpicked the coordinators together. It's clear now that most of the coaches hired, outside of the OL coach, were all Ballard guys. This is actually news to me, but I feel a lot better knowing that these guys weren't brought in because they were who McD wanted.

I find that a bit concerning though.  Generally speaking you want to let your head coach choose his staff.  

Now in a sense I'm glad that it's not McDaniels staff per se but on the other hand that means that Ballard is in the habit of making major decisions about assistant coaches.  Decisions I think should be left to the head coach.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I find that a bit concerning though.  Generally speaking you want to let your head coach choose his staff.  

Now in a sense I'm glad that it's not McDaniels staff per se but on the other hand that means that Ballard is in the habit of making major decisions about assistant coaches.  Decisions I think should be left to the head coach.

I'm not sure how much of that statement is true about Ballard making all of the decisions on Reichs staff.  Sirriani for example I'm quite sure that was a Reich decision.  I have strong doubts Ballard had much to do with that one because his name wasn't well known in much of anywhere.  Reich had a coaching history with him.  I'm sure there are some others as well.  I think Ballard maybe ran some guys by Reich to see if he was in line with some of the choices.  I think some of the guys were Reichs choices and some maybe were Ballards guys that Reich was in agreement on.

On May 16, 2018 at 6:59 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Reich is getting me hyped just watching!  Thank God we got him!!

I'm gonna be honest with ya Lolly. When McDaniels was rumored to be our new HC, I was cool with the selection because Josh's offense was productive. I deserve to take heat or flack for that. I'll take my lumps. Jvan was right when he said Peyton Manning raved about Frank Reich & said he's the guy we need to hire. 

When I make mistakes, I don't run; I own them. Yeah, this McDaniels reversal worked out tremendously for INDY no question. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm gonna be honest with ya Lolly. When McDaniels was rumored to be our new HC, I was cool with the selection because Josh's offense was productive. I deserve to take heat or flack for that. I'll take my lumps. Jvan was right when he said Peyton Manning raved about Frank Reich & said he's the guy we need to hire. 

When I make mistakes, I don't run; I own them. Yeah, this McDaniels reversal worked out tremendously for INDY no question. 

Alot of us were caught up in the hiring of McFlakey as out head coach, but

he showed his true colors in crawfishing on us and his track record as a head

coach is a bit disturbing. 

We hired a man with integrity with similar offensive traits, all without

being a shady human being. Reich's head coaching is still in question but

he seems to have excellent potential thus far.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I think when it happens as often as it did, you can also look at the lack of talent.

The former GM.