Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF analysis of Indy's draft picks

21isSuperman

Summary: A lot of what is said has already been said by other members and analysts, but many like PFF, so I figured this would be of interest.  They love the Nelson pick (Jeff Mewhort....?), they really like the Smith pick.  They grade every rep of practice drills as well and say Leonard did really well at the Senior Bowl.  They say the draft pick was a little high for him, but he has loads of potential.  Turay hasn't been on the field much, but has been very good when he has been on the field (better than Myles Garrett by some measures).  Lewis has been good (not great).  One of the analysts really likes Hines, the other guy really likes Cain as a deep threat.  Overall, they say this is a solid/good draft, but feel like they reached or could have gotten better talent at some picks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting.

It seems they pretty much agree with the overall thoughts of others as well. Reached a little but filled on need.

it will be interesting to see what guys stand out come pre season time. A lot of competition.

I get what others are saying, but It's obvious Ballad chose not to go with some of those available players pundits think we should have taken.  Landry and or a cornerback, etc..He  made a clear choice it seems and you can either assume it was position related or board related.

'Reached"...is a term used by those who disagree. Nothing less...nothing more. 

If used after the results are proven or disproven, it is told you so, nothing less...nothing more. 

Many "blue chip" players are taken and under developed, as well as "reaches" are developed to a high capacity and are called a steal. The terms "reaching" and "steals", don't take into account the development of the player. 

In the end, players are indeed taken sooner than they might have, but if taken at that same spot by a different team, things may have been different. Injuries also change many players development. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just wonder what the pundits and second guessers would say if all the draft picks overachieved their draft pick placement and Nelson busted? Scheme fit and need imo will always Trump a superstar potential who gets put on a poor fit team. For example, had this team drafted Freeney (by having the knowledge of what he did for this team) into a 3-4 scheme, would he have been the successful player he was for us in the 4-3? We know he can’t cover but could get to the qb. We know he wasn’t a great run defender but again, could get to the qb. So my point is if CB drafted all of these kids for fitting his scheme and they (pundits) had other kids who “rated” higher on many other talent evaluators, I’d say CB should come out looking like the draft whisperer. Patriots have always picked guys who fit their scheme not necessarily the guy who is sitting there with a huge grade by pundits and it makes their team solid and productive. I think we will be alright and who cares if they are considered teaches or steals, a productive team is what counts. 

• Like 2

Ballard is not a super-computer.  He is going to err from time to time and I doubt all of these draft picks will end up making the roster.  BUT......if he gets 4 or maybe even 5 starters out of this draft, then he will have had a whale of an off-season regardless of anything else that happens.  I think he did, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Summary: A lot of what is said has already been said by other members and analysts, but many like PFF, so I figured this would be of interest.  They love the Nelson pick (Jeff Mewhort....?), they really like the Smith pick.  They grade every rep of practice drills as well and say Leonard did really well at the Senior Bowl.  They say the draft pick was a little high for him, but he has loads of potential.  Turay hasn't been on the field much, but has been very good when he has been on the field (better than Myles Garrett by some measures).  Lewis has been good (not great).  One of the analysts really likes Hines, the other guy really likes Cain as a deep threat.  Overall, they say this is a solid/good draft, but feel like they reached or could have gotten better talent at some picks.

They felt that the Colts reached based on their draft board.  This is rhetorical, but did they do a different draft board for each team?  Each team is going to have a different board based on what schemes they run and based on what players the coaches like in those schemes.  If, as I assume, they only have their one board, it is really irrelevant to what the Colts thoughts are regarding what players to draft.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Ballard is not a super-computer.  He is going to err from time to time and I doubt all of these draft picks will end up making the roster.  BUT......if he gets 4 or maybe even 5 starters out of this draft, then he will have had a whale of an off-season regardless of anything else that happens.  I think he did, but only time will tell.

This may be a crazy thought, & slightly off-topic, but, directly after the draft I almost felt like Ballard took a "Doubling Down" approach to the draft, choosing to draft 2 players at each position...

While the team needs multiple starters/contributors at multiple positions, is it possible still, that he is attempting to increase his drafting % by "Doubling Up" on positional picks, with the hopes or thought, that if you draft 2 late round WR's for example, there is a greater likelihood of at least one of them working out, since you are drafting 2.

I guess I don't know that any of that was Ballard's goal going into the draft, but as the draft got underway, is it an analytical perspective that could've played a role in the draft process???

Those were just some of my thoughts directly following the draft when it just felt slightly unusual that there were 2 (& 3 in the case of lbs) players drafted at each position drafted.  

Lol... I am probably just delusional & the team is just that deficient of talent, (cursing Grigson under my breath)...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

This may be a crazy thought, & slightly off-topic, but directly after the draft I almost felt like Ballard took a "Doubling Down" approach to the draft, choosing to draft 2 players at each position...

While the team needs multiple starters at multiple positions, is it possible still that he is attempting to increase his drafting % by "Doubling Up" on positional picks, with the hopes or thought, that if you draft 2 late round WR's for example, there is a greater likely hood of at least one of them working out since you are drafting 2.

I guess I don't know that any of that was Ballard's goal going into the draft, but as the draft got underway, is it an analytical perspective that could've played a role in the draft process???

Those were just some of my thoughts directly following the draft when it just felt slightly unusual that there were 2 (& 3 in the case of lbs) players drafted at each position drafted.  

Lol... I am probably just delusional & the team is just that deficient of talent, (cursing Grigson under my breath)...

I think it had to do with just a lack of talent at a lot of positions, and Ballard's desire to increase competition among the roster as much as possible.  I don't think it had to do with doubling down and trying to up his %

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think it had to do with just a lack of talent at a lot of positions, and Ballard's desire to increase competition among the roster as much as possible.  I don't think it had to do with doubling down and trying to up his %

More than likely. Like I said, this was just a thought I had directly following the draft. However, hopefully it holds true & results in a higher percentage of players becoming quality players for the Colts...

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I get what others are saying, but It's obvious Ballad chose not to go with some of those available players pundits think we should have taken.  Landry and or a cornerback, etc..He  made a clear choice it seems and you can either assume it was position related or board related.

He also looks for players with a specific mindset. I'm sure that plays into

The equation quite a bit.

• Like 1

I think their analysis of our draft makes sense with their pre-draft evaluations of the players. For them, it's not just that we "reached" for Leonard or Smith, but that 2 of Steve's favorite prospects (Harold Landry and Josh Jackson) were still on the board, were need fits, and scheme fits. To them, the Colts were handed a perfect PFF draft (at least our top 3 picks) and chose players they had rated lower. It makes sense why they feel the way they do and I also understand why Ballard decided to go this route. I do appreciate that despite their feelings that we reached, they recognize that we drafted quality players that should be able to contribute immediately.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

More than likely. Like I said, this was just a thought I had directly following the draft. However, hopefully it holds true & results in a higher percentage of players becoming quality players for the Colts...

That thought had also entered my mind after looking at the list. I looked at a little different just from the depth of the positions. Maybe I was looking for something that wasn't there but by Ballard making the picks seemed like he was picking for need but also adding depth to those positions. Maybe a play of words in some calling it competition but I see depth.

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

'Reached"...is a term used by those who disagree. Nothing less...nothing more. 

If used after the results are proven or disproven, it is told you so, nothing less...nothing more. 

Many "blue chip" players are taken and under developed, as well as "reaches" are developed to a high capacity and are called a steal. The terms "reaching" and "steals", don't take into account the development of the player. 

In the end, players are indeed taken sooner than they might have, but if taken at that same spot by a different team, things may have been different. Injuries also change many players development. 

My thoughts exactly about the term ‘reach’.  It could just as well mean their analysis was off.  

I sometimes go back and look at Kiper/McShay/Mayock draft rankings and believe me, they all have some serious ‘reaches’.

The discussion is fun but moot for a few years.  

• Like 2

The thing that is tweakin' my melon, is when people say about the draft that we at least "addressed our needs" has it not dawned on anyone, that we NEEDED just about everything...I could have thrown a dart blindfolded at the Colts draft board and selected a position of need....

8 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

They mocked Josh Jackson to us at #6....

And Maurice Hurst at #4...

Then they said Nelson should be our RT? 

PFF is a bit of a joke sometimes... Almost like Skip B is behind the scenes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

The thing that is tweakin' my melon, is when people say about the draft that we at least "addressed our needs" has it not dawned on anyone, that we NEEDED just about everything...I could have thrown a dart blindfolded at the Colts draft board and selected a position of need....

Maybe it would be a good idea to quit tweakin' your melon?  I have heard it is harmful to your thought process. :D

5 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

This may be a crazy thought, & slightly off-topic, but, directly after the draft I almost felt like Ballard took a "Doubling Down" approach to the draft, choosing to draft 2 players at each position...

While the team needs multiple starters/contributors at multiple positions, is it possible still, that he is attempting to increase his drafting % by "Doubling Up" on positional picks, with the hopes or thought, that if you draft 2 late round WR's for example, there is a greater likelihood of at least one of them working out, since you are drafting 2.

I dont think you are off-base in that thinking. Ballard was quoted (and I paraphrase) as saying the draft is like playing darts, the more picks you have the more tosses at the board you get, and therefore more chances to stick. With that, the doubling down makes sense. Now with that said, I agree with 21 in creating some competition, but mostly agree with crazy in that it's about depth. Over the last several years, this team has lacked what would even be considered minimally necessary depth needed to compete for an entire season... the talent is one thing, depth is a whole different animal. I think he is focusing on weak spots one draft at a time. Last year with an emphasis on the defensive secondary, this year on the offensive and defensive lines. Next year should be linebackers. It will be interesting to see going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1