Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tre Boston & Kenny Vaccaro visiting Colts today

TKnight24

13 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You say that but yet Kaep is as well and the Seahwaks just had him there.

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Seattle actually cancelled that workout.

Not only did Seattle cancel the workout, but Kaep is a QB, Reid is a S, and he's obviously lying when he says he won't kneel, he's just trying to get a job. Kaep was honest that he wouldn't stop and they canceled his workout, so Reid is lying and no one has bit.

Only way I sign Reid is if there's a clause that states he'll be released without paying the remainder of his contract if he kneels at all. Also, no guaranteed money, he has to earn every penny.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Wouldn't mind signing both these guys tbh. We brought them both in for a visit, we have the upper hand to do so if we want, as well as the cap right now. Both can help our S depth and be spot starters if needed. Really no downside to picking up both, even if it's to 1 year contracts. If they both perform, either sign them to a long term deal next year, or let them go and obtain draft picks.

That's the plan I would prefer....Sign them both for 1 year each and then see what they give you on the field. If it makes us happy extend their contracts.......GO COLTS !!!!!

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not only did Seattle cancel the workout, but Kaep is a QB, Reid is a S, and he's obviously lying when he says he won't kneel, he's just trying to get a job. Kaep was honest that he wouldn't stop and they canceled his workout, so Reid is lying and no one has bit.

Only way I sign Reid is if there's a clause that states he'll be released without paying the remainder of his contract if he kneels at all. Also, no guaranteed money, he has to earn every penny.

I am aware of the positions which have little to nothing to do with anything.  The whole lying thing is based on you and your thoughts with NO facts.  Lets just end this before you get it locked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I am aware of the positions which have little to nothing to do with anything.  The whole lying thing is based on you and your thoughts with NO facts.  Lets just end this before you get it locked.

I didn't say anything to get it locked, quit being so sensitive about everything. Apparently 32 teams agree with me as he hasn't even got a workout yet, so I'm not the only one who thinks he's full of it. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Some of us need to remember this is not a political site

agreed, I'm going to stop talking about it now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Let's try to keep this conversation limited to free agent safeties that are currently visiting the Colts, and leave whatever else it is you're trying to get off your chest out of it. 

I didn't say anything to get it locked, quit being so sensitive about everything. Apparently 32 teams agree with me as he hasn't even got a workout yet, so I'm not the only one who thinks he's full of it. 

No sensitivity here just not trying to get into a topic that YOU try to claim facts and have nothing to back it up with.  Speaking in reference to the kneeling thing.  If he doesn't get a tryout so be it.  If we were to sign him tomorrow then so be it.  Only looking at talent.  You can continue to complain about everything else.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Let's try to keep this conversation limited to free agent safeties that are currently visiting the Colts, and leave whatever else it is you're trying to get off your chest out of it. 

All right, fine.

The more I read about Boston the more I like. Chargers and Panthers fans have nothing but good things to say. Panthers fans say he did a lot better at FS before they moved him to SS after injuries, but still played decently.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hooker isn’t ready to go by the start of the season, not to mention we don’t know how he’ll come back from the injury anyways. Even if he does come back strong I’d still be happy to have Boston on the roster.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The more I read about Boston the more I like. Chargers and Panthers fans have nothing but good things to say about him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hooker isn’t ready to go by the start of the season, not to mention we don’t know how he’ll come back from the injury anyways. Even if he does come back strong I’d still be happy to have Boston on the roster.

If Hooker or Geathers is hurt, I guarantee you we will sign 1 of these guys. Ballard brought them in for a reason. He either thinks we need S depth, or we need insurance in case Hooker or Geathers isn't 100% to start the season. I'd say 75% chance one of the two is signed by the end of the day today.

48 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think anyone actually believes that, but I read that comment more as an assumption that Geathers is still having health issues than the Colts are just trying to find a better player or add more competition.

You'd be surprised I've mentioned bringing in a better player at SS many times and people are so quick to scream "but we have geathers" like he is some all pro ss lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You'd be surprised I've mentioned bringing in a better player at SS many times and people are so quick to scream "but we have geathers" like he is some all pro ss lol

Personally, when I heard the Jets traded with us, I was hoping we had traded down 3 spots and got Jamal Adams. That would of been an elite S duo. We could of used Geathers in a backup role where he would of thrived and added longevity to his career IMO. I don't think he'll last as a starter, but that's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That tends to happen here with a player that flashes. Ever since he knocked Freeman out of the Falcons game, Geathers has had an absurd following. 

In regards to the topic though, signing either or both of the guys could spell trouble for Green who we know is staying at Safety this season. But we also don’t know the status of Hooker. 

Just now, MTC said:

Please try to stay on track with the Boston and Vaccaro discussion and less towards Reid, the kneeling, and collusion. It will lead to boundaries that are against forum rules. 

I'm not talking about it anymore. Please don't shut down the thread.

I'm not talking about it anymore. Please don't shut down the thread.

There's no need.

There is a lot of discussions to be had with what this could mean about TJ Green and the health of Malik Hooker to explore. 

7 minutes ago, MTC said:

There's no need.

There is a lot of discussions to be had with what this could mean about TJ Green and the health of Malik Hooker to explore. 

Green I'm not too worried about. Even if he gets cut, I think he was a longshot to turn into something, and he's also a Grigson guy instead of a Ballard guy. I honestly think Boston or Vaccaro has the same chance of doing something for us, should we sign one of them. Hooker is the elephant as we need him healthy. He did tear both his ACL and his MCL though, and I think a lot of people on here forgot that. So his recovery time may be slightly longer than most of us thought. I think Boston and/or Vaccaro would be insurance to Hooker, hopefully not for long though, and they would be good depth players shortly after.

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

As fans we tend to overrate certain players on the forum (we're all guilty of it), especially the rare Grigson-drafted player that actually produces at an above average level. You probably remember last offseason when the rumor came out that Ballard wasn't a huge Donte Moncrief fan, there was definitely some unwarranted anger about that one. Alas, he's a Jaguar now.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I love Geathers, but Reid would probably beat him out in a competition.  I didn't think that a first but after looking at things I believe that would probably happen.

I am in the camp that Reid would be an improvement over Geathers

At least he would be competition.

I do say that I dont like the players chosing the Anthem time to protest.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I dont like it

I dont trust Geathers to stay healthy......

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Kenny-Vaccaro-Career-Grades-768x432.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Vaccaro

Kenny Vaccaro

Born:  February 15, 1991 (age 27)
           Brownwood, Texas

Height:   6 ft 0 in

Weight:   214 lb 

College:  Texas

NFL Draft:2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 15

Vaccaro was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the first round, with the 15th overall pick, of the 2013 NFL Draft. He was the first safety selected in the 2013 draft.

2013 season

In the first game of the 2013 season, against the Saints' division rival, Atlanta Falcons, Vaccaro made a crucial play late in the game: he prevented an Atlanta touchdown by deflecting a fourth down pass away from tight end Tony Gonzalez, and into the hands of safety Roman Harper, securing the Saints' 23-17 win.[5] In the 2013 season, Vaccaro played in 14 games making 79 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, and 6 passes defended. Vaccaro's season was ended prematurely when he broke his ankle making a tackle against Carolina in week 15. He underwent surgery and was ruled out for the rest of the season.[6][7] Fans voted him as the most impressive defensive rookie on the Saints' official website.[8]

2014 season

Vaccaro's play in 2014 was perceived as erratic; he made many big plays for the Saints, but he was implicated in many defensive errors, as the entire Saints defense played much less successfully than it had done in the 2013 season. One prominent website, Pro Football Focus, had Vaccaro rated 84th out of 86 safeties in the league. On December 9, early in Week 15 of the season, it was reported that head coach Sean Payton had decided that Vaccaro would be benched.[9] However, in his December 11 press conference, Payton denied this, although leaving the door open for a change in Vaccaro's role.[10]

2015 season

Vaccaro bounced back in 2015 as he started every game and recorded 104 tackles. He played a big role in run support as he had many tackles along with a career-high three sacks. He was among the only bright spots on the porous defense of the Saints. Vaccaro had 13 tackles and a forced fumble against the Houston Texans in Week 11, along with 11 tackles in Week 5 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

2016 season

On April 12, 2016, the Saints announced that the fifth-year option of Vaccaro's option would be picked up.[11]

On November 10, 2016, it was reported that Vaccaro was facing a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs for using Adderall and planned to appeal.[12] He later dropped the appeal on December 9, 2016 and served the four-game suspension, keeping him out of the remainder of the 2016 season.[

2017 season

He started 12 games in 2017 while dealing with a torn groin muscle, and later injured his wrist. He was placed on injured reserve on December 21, 2017 and underwent surgery on both injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am in the camp that Reid would be an improvement over Geathers

At least he would be competition.

I do say that I dont like the players chosing the Anthem time to protest.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I dont like it

I dont trust Geathers to stay healthy......

I have no problem with protesting myself.  I just think the Anthem is the most horrible time to choose to do that because its very easy for your message and intent to be mixed and misinterpreted. I agree with you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Vaccaro

Kenny Vaccaro

Born:  February 15, 1991 (age 27)
           Brownwood, Texas

Height:   6 ft 0 in

Weight:   214 lb 

College:  Texas

NFL Draft:2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 15

Vaccaro was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the first round, with the 15th overall pick, of the 2013 NFL Draft. He was the first safety selected in the 2013 draft.

2013 season

In the first game of the 2013 season, against the Saints' division rival, Atlanta Falcons, Vaccaro made a crucial play late in the game: he prevented an Atlanta touchdown by deflecting a fourth down pass away from tight end Tony Gonzalez, and into the hands of safety Roman Harper, securing the Saints' 23-17 win.[5] In the 2013 season, Vaccaro played in 14 games making 79 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, and 6 passes defended. Vaccaro's season was ended prematurely when he broke his ankle making a tackle against Carolina in week 15. He underwent surgery and was ruled out for the rest of the season.[6][7] Fans voted him as the most impressive defensive rookie on the Saints' official website.[8]

2014 season

Vaccaro's play in 2014 was perceived as erratic; he made many big plays for the Saints, but he was implicated in many defensive errors, as the entire Saints defense played much less successfully than it had done in the 2013 season. One prominent website, Pro Football Focus, had Vaccaro rated 84th out of 86 safeties in the league. On December 9, early in Week 15 of the season, it was reported that head coach Sean Payton had decided that Vaccaro would be benched.[9] However, in his December 11 press conference, Payton denied this, although leaving the door open for a change in Vaccaro's role.[10]

2015 season

Vaccaro bounced back in 2015 as he started every game and recorded 104 tackles. He played a big role in run support as he had many tackles along with a career-high three sacks. He was among the only bright spots on the porous defense of the Saints. Vaccaro had 13 tackles and a forced fumble against the Houston Texans in Week 11, along with 11 tackles in Week 5 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

2016 season

On April 12, 2016, the Saints announced that the fifth-year option of Vaccaro's option would be picked up.[11]

On November 10, 2016, it was reported that Vaccaro was facing a four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs for using Adderall and planned to appeal.[12] He later dropped the appeal on December 9, 2016 and served the four-game suspension, keeping him out of the remainder of the 2016 season.[

2017 season

He started 12 games in 2017 while dealing with a torn groin muscle, and later injured his wrist. He was placed on injured reserve on December 21, 2017 and underwent surgery on both injuries.

I'll definitely give him a pass in 2017 then. Leaning toward signing him for sure now. Could be great competition for Geathers!

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Sounds like the end for TJ Green to me. He is going to have to take a big step forward to make the 53 now.

After the draft, Ballard has spoken quite highly of Green...   says he's looking forward to seeing him this year.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Maybe my memory just isn't what it used to be, but I always thought Bob was kind of a liability in coverage.

Our issue was, because we did not play press, the taller wide outs like Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd of the Chargers gave us issues with the jump balls and free releases, not to mention Sproles, the Colts killer. Even Bethea, our more notorious pass coverage safety, couldn't do much about that.

However, Sanders dropped back pretty well, when healthy, but played in the box more often due to our run D issues. He had an INT vs Brady in the 2006 regular season game (both him and Bethea did), then went back to being injured again. Then, he had an INT vs Trent Green in the wild card game, then he almost jumped the route of Brady on 3rd down before Peyton drove the length of the field, down 31-34 in the AFCCG (funny Ed Reed did the same in 2011 AFCCG, almost jumping that classic Patriots 3rd down play, the in and out slot WR cut at the 1st down marker play they run, only to see Lee Evans drop the TD and Cundiff miss the kick), then had the game clinching INT in the SB vs Rex Grossman. Then followed the next year with a DPOY season in 2007 with plays vs the pass and run. He was no slouch vs the pass.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

After the draft, Ballard has spoken quite highly of Green...   says he's looking forward to seeing him this year.

it'll be tough sledding for green to beat out boston and/or vaccaro if he still struggles

How many safeties do we usually keep on the roster? 

Keep in mind we will be using a ton of dime and nickel looks and it's possible we have some packages with 3 safeties. 

My point is - even if we sign one of those, I doubt it automatically spells the end of any of our current safeties on the roster. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Our issue was, because we did not play press, the taller wide outs like Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd of the Chargers gave us issues with the jump balls and free releases, not to mention Sproles, the Colts killer. Even Bethea, our more notorious pass coverage safety, couldn't do much about that.

However, Sanders dropped back pretty well, when healthy, but played in the box more often due to our run D issues. He had an INT vs Brady in the 2006 regular season game (both him and Bethea did), then went back to being injured again. Then, he had an INT vs Trent Green in the wild card game, then he almost jumped the route of Brady on 3rd down before Peyton drove the length of the field, down 31-34 in the AFCCG (funny Ed Reed did the same in 2011 AFCCG, almost jumping that classic Patriots 3rd down play, the in and out slot WR cut at the 1st down marker play they run, only to see Lee Evans drop the TD and Cundiff miss the kick), then had the game clinching INT in the SB vs Rex Grossman. Then followed the next year with a DPOY season in 2007 with plays vs the pass and run. He was no slouch vs the pass.

Slouch definitely wouldn't be the word that I'd use, 1-on-1 coverage just wasn't his best attribute. He fit Dungy's zone system perfectly though, so there was no need for him to be elite in coverage.

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Keep in mind we will be using a ton of dime and nickel looks and it's possible we have some packages with 3 safeties. 

My point is - even if we sign one of those, I doubt it automatically spells the end of any of our current safeties on the roster. 

4 usually. maybe 5, but thats rare

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

You probably want about 4 clear cut starting quality guys, then backups for each that can come in on situational downs & contribute on special teams. So I'd say 8?

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

it'll be tough sledding for green to beat out boston and/or vaccaro if he still struggles

Yes...  but the key words you wrote are...

...if he still struggles...   

And if he does...  then he's likely gone....  but if he begins to put things together, then maybe the Colts have something...

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have no problem with protesting myself.  I just think the Anthem is the most horrible time to choose to do that because its very easy for your message and intent to be mixed and misinterpreted. I agree with you.

If I protested anything while I am at work (working for someone else, at THEIR place of business)...... 

I would be canned, like most 99.9% of the people in the world

I for one am excited they are taking a swing about improving the play of our safeties.

we need competition, but we also need competiton from people who are good at what they do........ 

not competition from people that couldnt make ANY other roster