Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tre Boston & Kenny Vaccaro visiting Colts today

TKnight24

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Depth or the end of Geathers

Boston is a FS not a SS. I'm sure they want to take a look at him because he had a lot of INT coming out of UNC. Has a nose for turnovers.  Not known for being physical or an in the box type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

If we play Tampa 2 we need both safeties to be very good in coverage. Boston fits that mold... 

Also, we still don't know if Hooker will be available to start the season so he might be a good addition as a stop gap for Hooker until he gets back to top form. 

Boston is pretty good competition, but I don't know if I see him starting over Mathias Farley.  I'm not counting Farley out just yet.  But I am glad Ballard is starting to work on the secondary.  If he can get that unit tightened up a bit more I'll be very happy!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Also... seems like we are having a visit with another safety(Kenny Vaccaro). he's more of a strong safety:

Kenny Vaccaro makes some sense.  I don't know what his deal has been?

I really liked him coming out of Texas.

Kenny-Vaccaro-Career-Grades-768x432.png

Very up and down career so far by PFF. Pretty much his whole career has been either very good or trash. No in between. 

Read through this thread by Saints fans:

https://saintsreport.com/threads/kenny-vaccaro-one-of-top-corners-in-nfl-says-pff.375315/page-3

They seem like they wanted him there long term and some were throwing numbers in the range of 6-7M per year. IMO he won't get that right now. 

His ranking(in the 30s by PFF) is a bit weird since he was allowing just about 40 passer rating to QBs when targeting him. I haven't watched too much to know how come his grade is so low if he was so good in coverage. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Kenny-Vaccaro-Career-Grades-768x432.png

Very up and down career so far by PFF. Pretty much his whole career has been either very good or trash. No in between. 

According to that, he got his bad year out of him in 2017, and don't sign him for more than 2 years?  lol

Seriously though, I hope this doesn't mean any bad news (set back or whatever) for Hooker or Geathers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

If we play Tampa 2 we need both safeties to be very good in coverage. Boston fits that mold... 

Also, we still don't know if Hooker will be available to start the season so he might be a good addition as a stop gap for Hooker until he gets back to top form. 

Exactly, Bob Sanders and Bethea come to mind, both were very good in coverage against their assignments. Good point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

According to that, he got his bad year out of him in 2017, and don't sign him for more than 2 years?  lol

Seriously though, I hope this doesn't mean any bad news (set back or whatever) for Hooker or Geathers. 

I added some more info to my post that I will repeat here - his PFF grade is very weird(35.4)  considering they also rank him as one of the best cover safeties/slot corners by allowed QB rating(40 something).. I don't know what else he's doing that drops his grade that much... 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I added some more info to my post that I will repeat here - his PFF grade is very weird(35.4)  considering they also rank him as one of the best cover safeties/slot corners by allowed QB rating(40 something).. I don't know what else he's doing that drops his grade that much... 

I noticed the grade for 2017 has an asterisk next to it that says "through 1 week" so I assume that 2017 grade is not for the whole year?  Did he get injured or something?

In terms of concerns over the status of our current safeties, I am hoping this is just further proof of Ballard searching for competition wherever he can.  He has never really been a chaser of specific roster spots and just seems to continually look for the best value contributors at any spot and safety has been a market relatively untapped this off season.

Just on an aside (and not looking to make this political) would there be a reason we would look at these guys over Eric Reid?  I know Boston is only around 25 so youth is on his side, but Reid is only 26.  Are we looking at 3 very different types of player that we wouldn't consider Reid, or are we just steering clear of any controversy?

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I noticed the grade for 2017 has an asterisk next to it that says "through 1 week" so I assume that 2017 grade is not for the whole year?  Did he get injured or something?

It was a graphic from after week 1. I posted it more to show the previous years' grades since they are not easily accessible for people without access to the paid services of PFF. His grade for the full 2017 season was 35.4. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

In terms of concerns over the status of our current safeties, I am hoping this is just further proof of Ballard searching for competition wherever he can.  He has never really been a chaser of specific roster spots and just seems to continually look for the best value contributors at any spot and safety has been a market relatively untapped this off season.

Just on an aside (and not looking to make this political) would there be a reason we would look at these guys over Eric Reid?  I know Boston is only around 25 so youth is on his side, but Reid is only 26.  Are we looking at 3 very different types of player that we wouldn't consider Reid, or are we just steering clear of any controversy?

I thought about Reid myself.  I'd have no problem with him if Ballard saw the fit.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

It was a graphic from after week 1. I posted it more to show the previous years' grades since they are not easily accessible for people without access to the paid services of PFF. His grade for the full 2017 season was 35.4. 

Some of the snippets I read on Vaccarro makes me think we'd probably be looking at him as a Box Safety and short zone player.    I'm still interested to see if we bring in Eric Reid or not.

The safety market was really stagnant this offseason, these are two of the best guys left. Considering how much our DBs seem to get dinged up I’d be really happy getting either of these guys.

Plus it’s been speculated for a while that Hooker might not be ready to start the season. I personally don’t think he’ll be ready until the early reg. season. Boston probably fits that kind of role more but I do like Vacarro for what he is.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Some of the snippets I read on Vaccarro makes me think we'd probably be looking at him as a Box Safety and short zone player.    I'm still interested to see if we bring in Eric Reid or not.

I would be fine with Reid as well.  As a safety the guy was pretty good.  They moved him into a LB role and he clearly struggle a bit but also only had a short amount of time to adjust.  He could come in and be a SS for us and solid depth if anything.

I also hope with grab Boston.  We could have two solid guys for depth and competition.  If any injuries or setbacks happen we have solid pieces to step in.  Boston seems like a good fit for zone.

I am not a huge fan of Vaccaro but in a zone he might look better.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I would be fine with Reid as well.  As a safety the guy was pretty good.  They moved him into a LB role and he clearly struggle a bit but also only had a short amount of time to adjust.  He could come in and be a SS for us and solid depth if anything.

I also hope with grab Boston.  We could have two solid guys for depth and competition.  If any injuries or setbacks happen we have solid pieces to step in.  Boston seems like a good fit for zone.

I am not a huge fan of Vaccaro but in a zone he might look better.

I love Geathers, but Reid would probably beat him out in a competition.  I didn't think that a first but after looking at things I believe that would probably happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Boston is a FS not a SS. I'm sure they want to take a look at him because he had a lot of INT coming out of UNC. Has a nose for turnovers.  Not known for being physical or an in the box type.

Pretty sure boston came out of unc as a SS at least that's what I seen on the internet 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I love Geathers, but Reid would probably beat him out in a competition.  I didn't think that a first but after looking at things I believe that would probably happen.

I can't disagree with you.  Reid is a pretty solid player.  Last year numbers are skewed.  He would be a pretty good fit for us as I see the zone scheme still fitting his attributes.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Why would it mean that? He played the last 5 games last year without any issues, and is 100% healthy.

Some think geathers is so good that the team would never think to upgrade hes a very well loved player lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Some think geathers is so good that the team would never think to upgrade hes a very well loved player lol

I don't think anyone actually believes that, but I read that comment more as an assumption that Geathers is still having health issues than the Colts are just trying to find a better player or add more competition.

Eric Reid had no personality problem until he and Kaep decided to protest.  Of which he's said he won't kneel anymore.  Was seen by most as a great locker room guy up until the protest.  Would be a judgement call by Ballard.  I have no problem with the guy personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't mind signing both these guys tbh. We brought them both in for a visit, we have the upper hand to do so if we want, as well as the cap right now. Both can help our S depth and be spot starters if needed. Really no downside to picking up both, even if it's to 1 year contracts. If they both perform, either sign them to a long term deal next year, or let them go and obtain draft picks.