Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charlie Casserly Report: Luck to be full go for Training Camp

superrep1967

On 5/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, C0LT5 said:

Isn't throwing a weighted ball harder than a football? I think so and think this is the big difference from last year.

Depends how far he’s “throwing” it. Also, is he using a true Andrew Luck throwing motion?  I doubt it, unless he’s just dumping it in front of himself.  If you handed me a bowling ball to throw, I’d be heaving it like a shot put.  Assuming the ball is just a bit heavier than a Tom Brady regulation football, I’d still be launching it a bit higher to try to achieve a decent flight.  We’ll see, but it isn’t silly to be skeptical.

19 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Depends how far he’s “throwing” it. Also, is he using a true Andrew Luck throwing motion?  I doubt it, unless he’s just dumping it in front of himself.  If you handed me a bowling ball to throw, I’d be heaving it like a shot put.  Assuming the ball is just a bit heavier than a Tom Brady regulation football, I’d still be launching it a bit higher to try to achieve a decent flight.  We’ll see, but it isn’t silly to be skeptical.

Being skeptical is fine, my point was last year Andrew looked frail and wasn't throwing anything.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 10:09 AM, CamMo said:

Bleacher Report is saying that today, 5/17, marks 500 days since Andrew Luck threw a football in any meaningful way. FIVE. HUNDRED. DAYS. ?! 

If I were an objective football fan looking at that, I’d be really surprised the Colts didn’t take a chance at a QB this draft.

That must mean a pre season or a regular game.

Evidently, they feel Brissett can handle the job if Luck doesn't make it back as quickly as they hope.  JB was obtained to be Luck's backup, whether he gets game time or not. Both AL and JB have to be pleased with the potential of the O line now.

Now there were a very few here who wanted to get one of the front line QB's at pick #3, and slightly more folks (I'm in this camp) that wanted to expend a 4-7th rounder on one of the likes of a Falk, Lauletta, White (I also had T. Lee, and A. McGough) to backup JB (IOW, not Kaaya) in case Luck is delayed in his comeback.

We didn't, so I hope Lucks comes back, and the line really is fixed, finally.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, C0LT5 said:

Being skeptical is fine, my point was last year Andrew looked frail and wasn't throwing anything.

Well, that's not entirely true. Last year in mid October, Andrew was throwing a 'Duke' to trainers, and was just starting to get in some 7 on 7 work, and a few scout team snaps in during practices.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/10/12/andrew-luck-ramps-up-colts-practice/758546001/

After 4 practices, he suffered a setback, soreness, and less than a week later, the Colts shut him down.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/10/18/andrew-luck-shoulder-soreness-not-practice-week-says-chris-ballard/777445001/

By November 2, he was shutdown for the year.  But they did try to get him into game shape and on the field.  It failed.  He has to pass this test once more this year as well.  I'm very interested at that stage, especially when he gegts 11 on 11 drills.

4 hours ago, C0LT5 said:

I was talking during the OTA period, exactly this time last year.

Well, ok.  But that was only 4 months after his surgery.  He was put on IR in early November 2017. So it has been almost 6 months since he last threw a football in meaningful ways.  But at least he is in some strength and conditioning throwing program now.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:09 AM, CamMo said:

Bleacher Report is saying that today, 5/17, marks 500 days since Andrew Luck threw a football in any meaningful way. FIVE. HUNDRED. DAYS. ?! 

If I were an objective football fan looking at that, I’d be really surprised the Colts didn’t take a chance at a QB this draft.

I think not taking a QB in the draft should tell any objective football fan two things....

One...   that the Colts are VERY confident that Luck will be fine.....

And/Or....

Two....    the Colts are confident that if Luck has ANY setbacks that they believe Jacoby Brissett can step in and do an acceptable job.

At least one, if not both options,  should seem reasonable.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, superrep1967 said:

Charlie Casserly has talked to the Colts brass and they say they're very confident that Luck will be full go for training camp. If Charlie Casserly is reporting this then I'm on board. What does everyone else think I think it's good news. He says he's trowing weighed balls right now but will be full go for training camp. I know we got to wait and see until he actually throws a real football but I still think it's good news and I think he'll be ready to go. 

And if Charley Casserly told you that wolverines make good house pets would you believe him?

On 5/19/2018 at 11:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think not taking a QB in the draft should tell any objective football fan two things....

And/Or....

Two....    the Colts are confident that if Luck has ANY setbacks that they believe Jacoby Brissett can step in and do an acceptable job.

And that somebody else (besides Kaaya) is an unnecessary luxury, even if JB has to start...{a position I do not agree with, if true}

Why must every 4 wks someone from the NFL Insider state Luck will be ready by TC?  Just because the Colts Brass believes this to be true does it make it TRUE?  Haven’t we learned that the Colts Brass # 1 objective for 2018 is to SELL Season Tickets?  Until Andrew Luck picks up a flipping regulation size football & throws it time after time with no pain, please with all due respect plead the 5th.

signed Colts Nation

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Why must every 4 wks someone from the NFL Insider state Luck will be ready by TC?  Just because the Colts Brass believes this to be true does it make it TRUE?  Haven’t we learned that the Colts Brass # 1 objective for 2018 is to SELL Season Tickets?  Until Andrew Luck picks up a flipping regulation size football & throws it time after time with no pain, please with all due respect plead the 5th.

signed Colts Nation

The Colts Brass #1 objective for 2018 is to WIN games. Fixed it for you.

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, NDcolt said:

signed Colts Nation

Is this a trick question? 

Quick answer- because he is the starting QB for the Colts.

5 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Just a quote from the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I was being funny.

Oh man... I had no idea, it’s been forever since I’ve seen that movie, & I didn’t see it enough to know references. Derp. I hope I didn’t completely ruin your joke haha.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Is this a trick question? 

Quick answer- because he is the starting QB for the Colts.

Quick response - he hasn’t started a game since 2016 so he is not the starting QB for the Colts but I will believe once “He” throws a darn football.  TBD

2 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

Fool me once, shame on me but fool me twice won’t happen!  Honesty wins hearts!

IMO, this offseason is a lot different than last. Luck looks 100% healthy and built like a Train. Last offseason he didn't look right at all, skinny, etc.. I have very little doubt he wont be ready for Week 1. We will see once he starts throwing how he feels but I think he will be fine. Irsay was just trying to be optimistic last offseason which most owners are when it comes to a franchise player that is injured. I know the NFL is a business but IMO Irsay didn't have to lie to sell tickets, so why would he? We were going to sell out every game regardless anyway which we did whether or not we announced Luck was out for the season in August or October.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

And/Or....

And/or....

Three... Irsay will be hiring a new GM to replace the current genius when Luck retires later this year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, azcolt said:

And/or....

Three... Irsay will be hiring a new GM to replace the current genius when Luck retires later this year.

I know the off-season often brings with it all sorts of strange and mysterious stuff....       but if you're being serious,  then ths would be a whopper.

But if you're trying to be funny....     then great...    I'm sure someone will get a chuckle out of this...

Chances of Irsay firing Ballard and trying to hire a new GM this year would be right around......    zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know the off-season often brings with it all sorts of strange and mysterious stuff....       but if you're being serious,  then ths would be a whopper.

But if you're trying to be funny....     then great...    I'm sure someone will get a chuckle out of this...

Chances of Irsay firing Ballard and trying to hire a new GM this year would be right around......    zero.

His Post was not only a Whopper but a Whopper with Cheese. I know corny, but true.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Quick response - he hasn’t started a game since 2016 so he is not the starting QB for the Colts but I will believe once “He” throws a darn football.  TBD

You are the one who ask the question. If you don't understand why Luck is talked about every 4 weeks there is not much more anyone can tell you.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Has that poster ever written anything that is to be taken seriously?

I don't know how to present this but here we go. I decided to go back and see whether Luck's rehabilitation is going according to plan. I didn't include anything said before the setback he suffered in October. The first thing I found is from his press-conference on December 29th:

So at the end of December Luck himself said he he expects to be ready for OTAs. He's still not. 

On Feb 20th, Frank Reich says he's talked to Andrew and he's 'hopeful' that Luck will be ready by OTAs:

Luck says he will be "starting to throw the ball fine" once training camp begins:

Feb 28th, Frank Reich says Luck will be there for OTAs, doesn't say he will throw

April 9th, Andrew Luck has pressconference and says he doesn't expect to do much in the off-season program:

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2018/04/09/top-takeaways-andrew-lucks-latest-press-conference/

“I don’t anticipate doing too much out there” early on this offseason

He also says there is a timetable for him to start throwing but he won't reveal it(seems like training camp is the goal):

May 11th: Chris Ballard confirms that the target for throwing it training camp:

So to summarize:

- December 29 - Luck will do everything in the offseason(including mini camp, OTAs, training camp)

- Feb 20th - 'hopeful' for OTAs

- Feb 28th - will be there for OTAs, not sure if throwing

----------------------Vets mini-camp starting April 9th: Luck is there but is not throwing---------------

- April 9th - not expecting to do much in the early stages of off-season (mini camp and OTAs), targets training camp for throwing

- May 11th - target training camp for throwing confirmed once again

----------------------OTAs starting May 22nd: Luck is there but is not throwing --------------------------

IMO this is mildly concerning, since it seems like they are little by little pushing back the timeline. I guess, we will not know for sure until we see him throwing in training camp... or earlier if by some miracle they decide he's ready to throw in the next couple of weeks while OTAs are going on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know how to present this but here we go. I decided to go back and see whether Luck's rehabilitation is going according to plan. I didn't include anything said before the setback he suffered in October. The first thing I found is from his press-conference on December 29th:

So at the end of December Luck himself said he he expects to be ready for OTAs. He's still not. 

On Feb 20th, Frank Reich says he's talked to Andrew and he's 'hopeful' that Luck will be ready by OTAs:

Luck says he will be "starting to throw the ball fine" once training camp begins:

Feb 28th, Frank Reich says Luck will be there for OTAs, doesn't say he will throw

April 9th, Andrew Luck has pressconference and says he doesn't expect to do much in the off-season program:

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2018/04/09/top-takeaways-andrew-lucks-latest-press-conference/

He also says there is a timetable for him to start throwing but he won't reveal it(seems like training camp is the goal):

So to summarize:

- December 29 - Luck will do everything in the offseason(including mini camp, OTAs, training camp)

- April 9th - not expecting to do much in the early stages of off-season (mini camp and OTAs), targets training camp for throwing

IMO this is mildly concerning, since it seems like they are little by little pushing back the timeline. I guess, we will not know for sure until we see him throwing in training camp... or earlier if by some miracle they decide he's ready to throw in the next couple of weeks while OTAs are going on. 

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Here's my opinion.

I think Andrew and staff were hopeful that they could unleash him for OTA's, but, the closer they got, Luck was still at a certain point in his rehab, and you KNOW they're not gonna skip steps. So, he's progressing and getting better, but it just went a bit slower than they'd hoped.

They probably got to OTA's and said, "Why risk it? Why put any added stress on Andrew or his shoulder? He doesn't NEED to throw in OTA's. Why don't we just take it slow and give him as much time as we can to heal even further, and then feel extra confident come training camp?"

I know we all want to see him, but I think he's fine. They're just being overly cautious at this point. They haven't made any moves or done anything at all from a managerial standpoint that would show any concern or disbelief that Andrew will be ready.

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

And/or....

Irsay will not fire Ballard no matter what Luck does.

How hard is it for to understand that the Colts are not about one player and that includes Luck.

1 hour ago, Legend of Luck said:

Here's my opinion.

I think Andrew and staff were hopeful that they could unleash him for OTA's, but, the closer they got, Luck was still at a certain point in his rehab, and you KNOW they're not gonna skip steps. So, he's progressing and getting better, but it just went a bit slower than they'd hoped.

They probably got to OTA's and said, "Why risk it? Why put any added stress on Andrew or his shoulder? He doesn't NEED to throw in OTA's. Why don't we just take it slow and give him as much time as we can to heal even further, and then feel extra confident come training camp?"

I know we all want to see him, but I think he's fine. They're just being overly cautious at this point. They haven't made any moves or done anything at all from a managerial standpoint that would show any concern or disbelief that Andrew will be ready.

They didn't make any moves from a managerial standpoint last offseason...until the Brissett trade fell in their laps during the preseason. And now they have Brissett, who they are more than content to continue starting if need be.

I think they probably do believe that Luck will come back, but even if they had doubt, they weren't going to seriously address it this offseason. The plan would be to let Brissett start, see what happens and then adjust the plan heading into next offseason if necessary. They can always sign a cheap vet QB to back up Brissett this season. 

I think drafting a QB early, let alone at #3, would have been out of character for everything Ballard has said and done to this point. He is trying to build up a strong roster that doesn't require an elite QB to win.

Also, I think there is a fine line between being overly cautious and doubt. At the very least, their caution with Luck is somewhat driven by not knowing. If they knew he could throw, he would be throwing.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

So to summarize:

----------------------Vets mini-camp starting April 9th: Luck is there but is not throwing---------------

----------------------OTAs starting May 22nd: Luck is there but is not throwing --------------------------

I have been mildly concerned for a long time now. This whole scenario is unprecedented. I almost wish we would get a report that says Luck had a second procedure and is currently on schedule in his recovery. At least that would better explain why he's not throwing.

But that fact that he's not throwing, and the timeline keeps getting pushed back little by little, makes me think that no one really knows for sure at this point...despite Ballard even saying he had "no doubt."

While I am concerned about Luck specifically, I am not worried about the Colts. Ballard seems to aiming for a strong, balanced roster that doesn't need an elite QB, even if I don't fully agree with the way he has done it. And it's either going to be Luck or Foles (the guy who just won the Super Bowl with Reich) in 2019. Colts will be just fine.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I have been mildly concerned for a long time now. This whole scenario is unprecedented. I almost wish we would get a report that says Luck had a second procedure and is currently on schedule in his recovery. At least that would better explain why he's not throwing.

But that fact that he's not throwing, and the timeline keeps getting pushed back little by little, makes me think that no one really knows for sure at this point...despite Ballard even saying he had "no doubt."

While I am concerned about Luck specifically, I am not worried about the Colts. Ballard seems to aiming for a strong, balanced roster that doesn't need an elite QB, even if I don't fully agree with the way he has done it. And it's either going to be Luck or Foles (the guy who just won the Super Bowl with Reich) in 2019. Colts will be just fine.

42 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

They didn't make any moves from a managerial standpoint last offseason...until the Brissett trade fell in their laps during the preseason. And now they have Brissett, who they are more than content to continue starting if need be.

I think they probably do believe that Luck will come back, but even if they had doubt, they weren't going to seriously address it this offseason. The plan would be to let Brissett start, see what happens and then adjust the plan heading into next offseason if necessary. They can always sign a cheap vet QB to back up Brissett this season. 

I think drafting a QB early, let alone at #3, would have been out of character for everything Ballard has said and done to this point. He is trying to build up a strong roster that doesn't require an elite QB to win.

Also, I think there is a fine line between being overly cautious and doubt. At the very least, their caution with Luck is somewhat driven by not knowing. If they knew he could throw, he would be throwing.

The only bit that gives me hope is that 

A. He's been working on throwing weighted balls for months. So while he's not executing an NFL pass, he is more or less throwing. Just not the way we want.

B. Chris Ballard said that all of the throwing and rehab he's done to this point would have shown them if the setback that occurred in October would have happened again, and it hasn't. So he technically has surpassed the progress he made last year, since he is beyond that issue now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly?

I have no idea.....

But there are no emojis or anything else that might indicate he's kidding.....

From what I've seen,  that poster has never posted anything reasonable.   Heck, he had started a thread that was shut down in under 30 minutes.   That has to be a record for non game day threads.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cynjin said:

From what I've seen,  that poster has never posted anything reasonable.   Heck, he had started a thread that was shut down in under 30 minutes.   That has to be a record for non game day threads.

Thanks....

That's good 411....       :thmup:

I guess in a community as big as ours,  you're going to find all kinds here.....

Okie-Dokie!       Moving on!

4 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Here's my opinion.

I'm glad there is some optimism here.  I wish there were 'leaks' that give credence to that type of optimism.  Because...  you know...

there is another (dark) side to that coin we caught a glimpse of last year and want to never see again.

26 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm glad there is some optimism here.  I wish there were 'leaks' that give credence to that type of optimism.  Because...  you know...

there is another (dark) side to that coin we caught a glimpse of last year and want to never see again.

Right, I totally understand. I have found myself falling into that from time to time.

But again, that was a setback he suffered when he began heavy throwing, which, according to Ballard, would have already happened at the stage Luck was at before the draft. So Ballard has definitely given us at least a slight bit of reason to be optimistic in this case.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

So much has changed since last year. I don't understand why that keeps being brought up.

End of the day, there's nothing to talk about until training camp. Even then, until Luck is back on the field on Sundays, there will be skepticism. And beyond that, there will be cynicism. 

But right now, all there is to react to is an absence of news, which isn't reasonable, to me. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

So much has changed since last year. I don't understand why that keeps being brought up.

He never had it re-scoped, let alone corrective surgery.  Just rest, a mysterious Euro trip, and then rehab, probably not too unlike last year. So there is the unknown.

End of the day, there's nothing to talk about until training camp. Even then, until Luck is back on the field on Sundays, there will be skepticism. And beyond that, there will be cynicism. 

To me, the rubber hits the road when it is time for 11 on 11 drills.

But right now, all there is to react to is an absence of news, which isn't reasonable, to me. 

And the occasional ex front office guy saying they believe Luck will be ready.  People latch on to that like a drowning victim trying to grab their life saver...