Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Rookie Minicamp 5/11/2018

TKnight24

8 minutes ago, Calmack said:

The career underachiever is Ebron, not the rookies. My initial post here was in response to what CR91 said.

You responded to a post mentioning the offense with TY, Mack and Hines. You also wrote "underacheiver" and "unknowns". So even though you just edited the rather negative end of your post aimed at me, I have read the whole thread. I simply dont agree with you that about the "players" (plural is what you wrote in).

21 minutes ago, Calmack said:

The career underachiever is Ebron. You would have known that if you saw who I was quoting. 

Another negative Nancy. Just enjoy the moment, my friend. The new coaching staff is a breath of fresh air on offense and the Colts have picked up some new talent for the O. Faster and quite likely better. Yes, it will take time to see who is or are contributors close to  the level of TY, but for now, hope springs eternal and neither you nor I can say with any certainty how these guys will play until they have a full season under them. Until then, I remain very excited about the new players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I thought I read somewhere where Smith was a 1st. team All American.  If so I think that would qualify as a big time guard. 

Yes, the FO drafted both of the 1st Team All American Offensive Guards from last year.....barring an unforeseen injury or something, they should both be starting week 1.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Calmack said:

I feel like every year we get hyped about our players and think of scenarios that would be a nightmare for defenses to cover. And then nothing ever happens. I don't see this year being any different. TY is literally the only player you mentioned that is a match-up nightmare. No one else. 

It's amazing how you know that Hines won't be a match up problem without ever seeing him play for the Colts.

5 hours ago, Calmack said:

I feel like every year we get hyped about our players and think of scenarios that would be a nightmare for defenses to cover. And then nothing ever happens. I don't see this year being any different. TY is literally the only player you mentioned that is a match-up nightmare. No one else. 

That is because the old coaching staff failed to develop much talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calmack said:

The career underachiever is Ebron, not the rookies. My initial post here was in response to what CR91 said.

Some people say I'm an under achiever.  One day I'm going to get a job and show them all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, James said:

You responded to a post mentioning the offense with TY, Mack and Hines. You also wrote "underacheiver" and "unknowns". So even though you just edited the rather negative end of your post aimed at me, I have read the whole thread. I simply dont agree with you that about the "players" (plural is what you wrote in).

"Relative unknowns" - Mack and the rookies. "Career underachiever" - Ebron. That is what I meant. Its true I did edit it. I'd rather try to explain myself than simply retort negatively. 

4 hours ago, Cynjin said:

It's amazing how you know that Hines won't be a match up problem without ever seeing him play for the Colts.

Its amazing how same say Hines will be a matchup problem without ever seeing him play in the NFL. Can go both ways. 

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

That is because the old coaching staff failed to develop much talent.

You're not the first poster to make this claim.    And every time I ask the same question....    who were the players the old staff didn't develop that went elsewhere and were developed by another coaching staff?     And every time I get the same response....   (crickets)...   no one...

And look who we developed...   Doyle..   Vonte...  Darius Butler...   Michael Adams...   Dwight Lowery...   Jarrell Freeman....    and Sanchez, our new punter.

There's seven guys who played the best ball of their careers for the Colts right off the top of my head...

So who did the Colts not develope that went elsewhere and turned into something...   I think you're going to struggle to come up with names,  but I'll wait... 

The problem wasn't as much the old staff as it was the old GM...  he had trouble finding enough talent.   That's in part why he's the old GM....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're not the first poster to make this claim.    And every time I ask the same question....    who were the players the old staff didn't develop that went elsewhere and were developed by another coaching staff?     And every time I get the same response....   (crickets)...   no one...

And look who we developed...   Doyle..   Vonte...  Darius Butler...   Michael Adams...   Dwight Lowery...   Jarrell Freeman....    and Sanchez, our new punter.

There's seven guys who played the best ball of their careers for the Colts right off the top if my head...

So who did the Colts not develope that went elsewhere and turned into something...   I think you're going to struggle to come up with names,  but I'll wait... 

The problem wasn't as much the old staff as it was the old GM...  he had trouble finding enough talent.   That's in part why he's the old GM....

was dorsett a bad pick or did we fail to develop him?  he didnt do a lot with the patriots, but hes the same type of player as cooks and there isnt really room on the field for two of them.  same issue here with ty

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

was dorsett a bad pick or did we fail to develop him?  he didnt do a lot with the patriots, but hes the same type of player as cooks and there isnt really room on the field for two of them.  same issue here with ty

Dorsett was a terrible pick in the 1st.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Dorsett leaves and goes to a franchise that has a good reputation for developing players who were not developed properly by their old team.   

And what happened?   Nothing so far.   So it doesn't look like a miss from our old staff to me....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dorsett leaves and goes to a franchise that has a good reputation for developing players who were not developed properly by their old team.   

And what happened?   Nothing so far.   So it doesn't look like a miss from our old staff to me....

the patriots are not the end all be all when it comes to developing players.  they were more interested in getting cooks on the field than him too

i dont expect a huge break out from him, but i wont be surprised if he produces next year

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

the patriots are not the end all be all when it comes to developing players.  they were more interested in getting cooks on the field than him too

i dont expect a huge break out from him, but i wont be surprised if he produces next year

I don't think the pats develop players at all.  They bring in guys who suit their system, give them a good game plan and hold them accountable.  If they don't produce, he gets rid of them.  Ex Pats players are not usually all that great. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I don't think the pats develop players at all.  They bring in guys who suit their system, give them a good game plan and hold them accountable.  If they don't produce, he gets rid of them.  Ex Pats players are not usually all that great. 

Huh? 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's seven guys who played the best ball of their careers for the Colts right off the top of my head...

I see the point you are trying to make and partially agree ... Grigson was definitely a huge part of the problem, but Pagano and company definitely were not great teachers and lacked creativity and vision.

The glaring example of not developing a player or seeing the potential is Jerry Hughes .. I think Dorsett and Moncrief both could possibly fall into that category in the future.

But, one could also argue that many rookies may have been good but were never properly developed early and by the time they left/waived/cut by the Colts their development was permanently stunted.

You could also look at players that maybe didn't turn into stars, but other teams were able to get production out of them or find roles that suited their skills often at positions of need for the Colts .... AQ Shipley, Dion Lewis, ..the Steelers even found a use for DHB, etc ...  I believe the former regime was horrible at trying to force a square peg into a round hole instead of being flexible and playing to a players strengths.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think its a can't see the forest for the trees type situation. One could argue what draft pick did we ever develop to be more than the sum of his parts? TJ Green? Mewhort? Dorsett? Verner? or is it that they weren't that talented to begin with....I think the truth lies here...."Grigson was a poor talent evaluator, or at least his system of identifying talent was poor......our coach was not that schematically creative, or at least felt limited in creativity by his lack of roster talent"....a deadly combo of ineptitude is the cumulative result......Although Pagano drove me insane with his lack of creativity and in game management, he certainly didn't have a GM overcoming his shortfalls with a plethora of talent. So for me plenty of blame to go around.......if either man could have overcome the others weakness...we would still have them here......

8 hours ago, Calmack said:

Its amazing how same say Hines will be a matchup problem without ever seeing him play in the NFL. Can go both ways. 

It does go both ways, people should refrain from making absolute statements either way.  He looks like he could be good, but we won't know until he plays a couple of years. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Teams were lined up to sign Pags as a head coach when he was let go

by the Colts.....

Let's just all agree the combo of Grigs/Pags was a bust of epic proportions.

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Was hoping to come on the thread to get alittle info about Colts rookie camp. But there always seems to be at least that one person! 

I was thinking the same thing: thread about minicamp but less about the camp and more about drama.

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

by the Colts.....

In 2015 teams WERE lined up to hire Pagano if Irsay had figured him which it was expected he'd do.    The NFL Network reported (and I posted) that a number of  owners told Irsay their franchise was prepared to hire Chuck if the Colts let him go...

At that point and NFL owner could introduce his new HC who had gone 11-5, 11-5, 11-5 and 8-8...

But after 2017, Pagano was not a good candidate.   You couldn't introduce him as a coach whose last three years were 8-8, 8-8, and 4-12.    No owner could do that.

This is it for Chuck.   Maybe he becomes somebody's DC next year or the year after.   His consultation prize is the Colts are paying him for two more years.   Good for him.   And the NFL recently hired Pags to be a consultant for the league.   Again, good for him.

But no more HC for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

by the Colts.....

I only ever read that the Ravens were interested in bringing him back as DC. I don't remember any other teams interested, especially not as HC.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, Calmack said:

I'm sure my statement makes sense either way. TY is the only playmaker. The rest are relatively unknowns and a career underachiever. 

Every “playmaker” is an unknown until they play.