Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Is Going To Have A Tougher Time?

Colts fans allowing him the time to learn and grow.

I think Luck is more than ready for the challenges that come with learning in the NFL.

I am not so sure some Colts fans are ready to embrace any QB named anyone but Peyton Manning.

I think Luck is more than ready for the challenges that come with learning in the NFL.

I am not so sure some Colts fans are ready to embrace any QB named anyone but Peyton Manning.

I can not agree any better than this post

I agree. At least last year's nightmare season will help soften the blow of more L's than we are used to. If Luck starts I think the ship will be righted within 2-3 years though.

Did David Carr learn and grow by getting beat down every week? Would he have grown more with a guy like Peyton in his locker room?

Even the great Peyton Manning was 3-13 his rookie season and he will tell you he learned and grew probably more that season than any other season in his career. So yes you can learn and grow even if you have a rough season.

Did David Carr learn and grow by getting beat down every week? Would he have grown more with a guy like Peyton in his locker room?

I think every QB from that 2002 draft class was getting beat down every week. Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, + others were terrible. David Gerrard was the only one who had even a mediocre career, but none the less was still battered.

I think neither or both... If Luck plays good or great for a rookie, then the fans will take it well... If he sucks then the fans will hate the change and will hate Irsay for getting rid of the GOAT a couple years too soon. i just think that they go hand in hand... But there will be some fans that will be impossible to please and will not allow for any growing pains, but on the other hand there will also be fans that will want to defend every mistake Luck will make.

Even the great Peyton Manning was 3-13 his rookie season and he will tell you he learned and grew probably more that season than any other season in his career. So yes you can learn and grow even if you have a rough season.

Peyton Manning wasn't replacing a legend though.

I think every QB from that 2002 draft class was getting beat down every week. Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, + others were terrible. David Gerrard was the only one who had even a mediocre career, but none the less was still battered.

Exactly, where are they now?

Peyton Manning wasn't replacing a legend though.

What does that have to do with learning and growing? For that matter David Carr wasn't replacing a legend either in fact he wasn't replacing anyone and that's the guy who I was responding to was talking about. I am just saying just because the team may lose doesn't mean a QB can't learn along the way. Now if he gets the snot beat out of him that's a different story but I do honestly think the Colts are improving the line to keep that from happening.

That has to do with fans expectations of him. I really doubt Luck is going to be impacted because he's replacing Peyton Manning. Players just don't think that way. Yes he'll say it'll be hard in the press when he's asked about it but what else can he say when he's asked about it? I am sure Luck knows he has to be his own person to make it in the NFL because sooner or later it looks like he's going to be the guy to replace Peyton Manning rather it be this year, next year, or two three years from then.

But there will be some fans that will be impossible to please and will not allow for any growing pains, but on the other hand there will also be fans that will want to defend every mistake Luck will make.

haha. Yes, there will be fans who will be impatient for growth and learning. However, I think it will be a while before Luck attains the same status as PM before fans make apologetic excuses for his mistakes.

This pretty much sums it up. Colts fans directly relate this past season's losing to not having Manning under center. They gave the team a muligan. Not now, Manning is getting healthy and the organization has not handled the transition very well. Most fans, including myself, have seen what Manning has done for this franchise and they hold a very dear spot in there hearts for him. If Manning were losing games when he was under center and not taking us to the playoffs everyone would probable be in agreement it was time for a change but not after 11 straight season of going to the playoff's. It's tough but they don't listen to us anyway. We just pay there bills.

What does that have to do with learning and growing? For that matter David Carr wasn't replacing a legend either in fact he wasn't replacing anyone and that's the guy who I was responding to was talking about. I am just saying just because the team may lose doesn't mean a QB can't learn along the way. Now if he gets the snot beat out of him that's a different story but I do honestly think the Colts are improving the line to keep that from happening.

That has to do with fans expectations of him. I really doubt Luck is going to be impacted because he's replacing Peyton Manning. Players just don't think that way. Yes he'll say it'll be hard in the press when he's asked about it but what else can he say when he's asked about it? I am sure Luck knows he has to be his own person to make it in the NFL because sooner or later it looks like he's going to be the guy to replace Peyton Manning rather it be this year, next year, or two three years from then.

It has a lot to do with it because Manning didn't have the pressure of having to win from the very begining, Luck will. Maybe not from the organization but from the fans. It effects your confidense when so much weight is put on your shoulders. Ask Miami and Denver.

haha. Yes, there will be fans who will be impatient for growth and learning. However, I think it will be a while before Luck attains the same status as PM before fans make apologetic excuses for his mistakes.

yeah, some people think because of the recent success of some first year QBs, they think that that is how it has to be or the guy sucks and are ready for a different one.

When i was talking about defending him, I wasnt referring to the average Colts fan, but there are some that want to su... nevermind, trying to think of a way that wont get edited lol.... some that think his poop dont stink.

It has a lot to do with it because Manning didn't have the pressure of having to win from the very begining, Luck will. Maybe not from the organization but from the fans. It effects your confidense when so much weight is put on your shoulders. Ask Miami and Denver.

Again and how does this relate at all to David Carr since that is who the first person was brought up. David Carr wasn't replacing anyone. I was pointing out you can have a bad season your rookie year record wise and still learn and useing Peyton Manning as an example of that.

Luck isn't going to be over whelmed with having to replace Peyton. I think Luck is comfortable with himself and knows he has to be himself and not worry about comparing himself to what Peyton Manning did to be successful. If Luck is so shakey that he's going to let the fans rattle him like that I really doubt he would be the top pick in the draft.

Also Denver and Miami didn't replace Marino or Elway with the top pick in the draft. I could also ask Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers about replacing a legend they did just fine.

Nonsense. I was more than ready to embrace a QB not named Manning last year.

Painter.

Around his neck.

Tightly.

On topic, the fans must be patient. Who went 'before' is irrelevent, and we must live in the present. If PM retires, Luck will get more sympathy than he will do if PM is burning it up elsewhere, and if PM is on the sideline clearly coaching Luck, then he'll get oodles more patience.

Who knows. Maybe many of the Manning rah rah boys will leave the Colts fanbase if Peyton is gone here.

Then we might have less of an issue. I just hope it does not become like the "Favre fans". They have/had a private forum for members only for years to make fun of the Rodgers led Packers and anytime Aaron Rodgers made a mistake.

Again and how does this relate at all to David Carr since that is who the first person was brought up. David Carr wasn't replacing anyone. I was pointing out you can have a bad season your rookie year record wise and still learn and useing Peyton Manning as an example of that.

Luck isn't going to be over whelmed with having to replace Peyton. I think Luck is comfortable with himself and knows he has to be himself and not worry about comparing himself to what Peyton Manning did to be successful. If Luck is so shakey that he's going to let the fans rattle him like that I really doubt he would be the top pick in the draft.

Also Denver and Miami didn't replace Marino or Elway with the top pick in the draft. I could also ask Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers about replacing a legend they did just fine.

(sighs) I'm not arguing with you and your post, just stating my opinion. If you want to base your post on something I was just saying there were different circumstances. Young and Rodgers were also in the system and developed. Every QB taken by Miami and Denver has always been compaired to who??????????? No one has ever lived up to there status.

(sighs) I'm not arguing with you and your post, just stating my opinion. If you want to base your post on something I was just saying there were different circumstances. Young and Rodgers were also in the system and developed. Every QB taken by Miami and Denver has always been compaired to who??????????? No one has ever lived up to there status.

*gasp*

Give Tebow more time. Tebow=GOAT!!!!!

If you think the new quarterback, probably Luck, won't be impacted by the shadow and the shoes he's stepping in to you are kidding yourself, everyone thinks that way. He'll work hard, he'll play his game, but there is no way he won't compare himself to the man that had the job before him.

Who knows. Maybe many of the Manning rah rah boys will leave the Colts fanbase if Peyton is gone here.

Then we might have less of an issue. I just hope it does not become like the "Favre fans". They have/had a private forum for members only for years to make fun of the Rodgers led Packers and anytime Aaron Rodgers made a mistake.

What you refer to as "the Manning rah rah boys" are the only ones keeping their eyes open to either outcome because this is a discussion forum for both pros and cons. No one knows yet what will happen, we just write down want we want for our team.

If you think the new quarterback, probably Luck, won't be impacted by the shadow and the shoes he's stepping in to you are kidding yourself, everyone thinks that way. He'll work hard, he'll play his game, but there is no way he won't compare himself to the man that had the job before him.

See, now this poster knows something because if Luck is the great player some on here think he is. I hope he comes in with the attitude that he wants to be better than Manning and break all his records. To say I don't want to be Manning, I want to be myself is someone that is already thinking about failing.

See, now this poster knows something because if Luck is the great player some on here think he is. I hope he comes in with the attitude that he wants to be better than Manning and break all his records. To say I don't want to be Manning, I want to be myself is someone that is already thinking about failing.

I cannot disagree with you more. To say that he will be himself, his own person, and not like PM, is not thinking about failing. It is having enough confidence in himself to succeed without trying to be like someone else.

Steve Young may disagree with you there.

I cannot disagree with you more. To say that he will be himself, his own person, and not like PM, is not thinking about failing. It is having enough confidence in himself to succeed without trying to be like someone else.

(sighs again) I wouldn't expect you to agree with me because you never do. You quote my posts all the time and I don't think you have ever agreed with me. You don't need to quote me because I know you don't agree with me. Save your time.

*yawn*

I also am getting to the point the regular season records mean less and less to me too.

If the team gets back to the playoffs then winning in the playoffs is the most important. For the team and the QB.

You responded to me when I was talking to someone else who was talking about David Carr getting beaten up and not learning as a result and threw something out there that had nothing to do with that.

Again my point is was that even a losing season a QB can learn and used Peyton Manning as maybe the best example of that. That has nothing to do with replacing a legend it's a completely different converstation from the one I was having with the other guy.

I also responded to your point you raised. I've told you I really doubt Luck is going to be over whelmed by having to replace Peyton Manning. I think Luck understand's he has to be himself regardless of who he is replacing. That's how most players think. They don't get caught up in oh man I have to replace such and such. They have confidence in themselves to be able to go out there and play.

Keep in mind when Marino got to Miami he was going into Bob Griese's shadow and what did he do? He casted what most would say is even bigger shadow. If you have the talent which I think Luck does, it doesn't matter who was there before you you are going to be successful. I think the bigger problem in Denver and Miami is that when they replaced their HOF QBs they haven't replaced them with players who are good enough.

Steve Young may disagree with you there.

You really think Steve Young went out there thinking oh man I have to be Joe Montana? If he did he was pretty bad at it becuase he played nothing like Montana he played like Steve Young. That's the point I am getting at. Andrew Luck has to be Andrew Luck not worry about trying to replace Peyton Manning and be him because he's not going to be. Luck is a different player from Manning. Without Peyton Manning this is going to be a very different team than the one Peyton had as well so who knows Luck might not need to be Peyton Manning in order for us to win games. Luck just needs to worry about going out there and being the best player he can be. That's what I think he's going to do and that's what most great ones do.

Right listen to Aaron Rodgers answer a question when he's asked to compare himself to Favre. It's a different situation for a different player. It's not going to be the same and players know that. Most great ones understand they have to be themselves and can't worry about trying to be the player that was there before them because if they try to be that player they will fail because it's not who they are.

I think Luck will respect what Peyton did before him but I really doubt he's going to be looking to see if he did better against teams than Manning did. He's going to be more worried about making himself the best player he can be.