Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Garafolo] Colts are signing OT Austin Howard | Edit: Official now!

stitches

BTW Ballard waited until the deadline passed and this signing will not affect our compensatory picks next year. As it stands right now we are very likely to receive a 4th round compensatory pick(for Moncrief) and a 7th round compensatory pick(for Gore)

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

edit: @Cynjin rightfully pointed out that we might not be getting the 7th round compensatory pick

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW Ballard waited until the deadline passed and this signing will not affect our compensatory picks next year. As it stands right now we are very likely to receive a 4th round compensatory pick(for Moncrief) and a 7th round compensatory pick(for Gore). 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

I believe as of now they will not get the 7th for Gore.

https://overthecap.com/draft/

• Thanks 1

This team has improved its offensive line talent from 12 months ago......And hopefully I can later  add on the phrase >>>>>>>" AND THEN SOME " !!!!!!!!!!!!......GO COLTS and keep it up Mr. Ballard !!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Clark is a bust.

It was stated when he was drafted that it may take 3 years for him to really start picking it up. He was taken as a project due to the scheme he came out if in college. You can't expect a project to play lights out like Nate Hairston did. This is my last year on Clark but he had a very solid rookie campaign in the 3 or 4 games he played. Play calling sucked last year so we will see

Just now, stitches said:

Barring injuries(*knocks on wood*) and Luck's health hopefully in good standing, this will be the best offensive line Luck has ever had... and IMO by a WIDE margin. 

AGREE !

14 minutes ago, twfish said:

It was stated when he was drafted that it may take 3 years for him to really start picking it up. He was taken as a project due to the scheme he came out if in college. You can't expect a project to play lights out like Nate Hairston did. This is my last year on Clark but he had a very solid rookie campaign in the 3 or 4 games he played. Play calling sucked last year so we will see

I think he was Grigson's project not Ballards.  Ballard has seen him for one year and he looked awful.  If you can't stop a bull rush by now I would think you are in real trouble project or no project. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Barring injuries(*knocks on wood*) and Luck's health hopefully in good standing, this will be the best offensive line Luck has ever had... and IMO by a WIDE margin. 

It is exciting to have a line that should be able to pass block and run block.   4th and 2 is no longer only a passing down! 

Now if we can sign CJ Anderson.

4 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

I believe if we wait to sign him tomorrow we don’t lose that pick. Could be wrong 

"Worth noting: any unrestricted free agent signed today or later does not count towards the 2019 compensatory draft pick calculation. Could result in some interest for unsigned veterans."

I think you missed this word

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

It is exciting to have a line that should be able to pass block and run block.   4th and 2 is no longer only a passing down! 

Now if we can sign CJ Anderson.

CJ Anderson was signed by the Panthers a couple of days ago I think... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hell this could be the best o line the TEAM has had in ages.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

"Worth noting: any unrestricted free agent signed today or later does not count towards the 2019 compensatory draft pick calculation. Could result in some interest for unsigned veterans."

I think you missed this word

No I didn’t. I posted that link about 45 seconds after I posted my original message. I couldn’t remember where I saw it originally and if it was today or tomorrow. Either way it’s the same outcome. Thanks for your post, very helpful. 

18 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

I believe if we wait to sign him tomorrow we don’t lose that pick. Could be wrong 

I don't think that the Howard signing will affect the compensatory picks.  From what I read the NFL only awards so many comp. picks and Gore no longer qualifies for one.

9 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Hell this could be the best o line the TEAM has had in ages.

Well, that is what we said after Grigson had his several OL picks in the 2016 draft as well. :) Just messing with ya!!!

We just have to let things unfold. Hope the play calling and QB make the OL look better too. To me, those are the things that I am looking forward to the most on O, the play calling and the QB level of play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I don't think that the Howard signing will affect the compensatory picks.  From what I read the NFL only awards so many comp. picks and Gore no longer qualifies for one.

Just checked and you are correct.  Only 1 pick for Moncrief. According to stampede blue 

If the OL stays healthy and is well coached this should be the best OL in franchise history.

I'm hoping this OL will be top-8 in the NFL this year...    that's top 25-percent in the league...   for what we've invested this should be an attainable goal...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the OL stays healthy and is well coached this should be the best OL in franchise history.

they have a chance, but the line with jeff saturday and tarik glen in their primes might still be better than this.  they had peyton manning too of course, if this group gets brissett they may not look as good  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I agree ..... was very skeptical of Luck was healthy to put him out there. But with the draft and now this I am not having doubt like I was b4. Let’s see what luck and our new off scheme can achieve! 

22 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they have a chance, but the line with jeff saturday and tarik glen in their primes might still be better than this.  they had peyton manning too of course, if this group gets brissett they may not look as good  

I think Manning made that line look better than it was.   Not taking anything away from Glenn and Saturday who were great.  I just think this line has the potential to push and give us a pounding run game for the first time in a while.  

• Like 3