Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris McCain - New DE

Scott Pennock

http://m.colts.com/s/30853/370?itemUri=-1236914702/9625810841581106513123164

http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110227&draftyear=2014&genpos=DE

Seems to be maturing into an actual producer with 5 sacks last year. Has all the measurables, but does he look like Tarzan and play like Jane.....? Guess we'll find out....

Should at least provide some more competition in camp for sure.

Here we go another stab at a DE/ER.  Bleacher Report posted an article today suggesting trades that should be made before the start of the season.  They suggested the Colts trading for DE/ER  Dante Fowler from the Jags.  They decided not to exercise his fifth yr. option.  8 sacks last year in a limited roll.  A day two pick should do it and they like us as a partner because of our need and our cap space.  The Broncos Shane Ray is also in the article.  They did not exercise his fifth yr. option as well.  GM's never stop turning over the stones. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I hope he's gotten stronger since his pro day too, 10 reps.

Yikes! That's scary weak lol. Okay, I understand I'm a power lifter//bodybuilder so we train for different goals. But good grief. I'm 200 and can hit 225x35 as a burnout easy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here we go another stab at a DE/ER.  Bleacher Report posted an article today suggesting trades that should be made before the start of the season.  They suggested the Colts trading for DE/ER  Dante Fowler from the Jags.  They decided not to exercise his fifth yr. option.  8 sacks last year in a limited roll.  A day two pick should do it and they like us as a partner because of our need and our cap space.  The Broncos Shane Ray is also in the article.  They did not exercise his fifth yr. option as well.  GM's never stop turning over the stones. 

Either player would be an improvement, however, I'm not sure about the inter-divisional trade? Granted he traded with the Patriots so I guess I wouldn't put anything past CB at this point.....lol

25 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

The DE position is going to be very crowded this year. My only worry is that there are too many mouths to feed which will hurt the development of Basham and our rookies.

You can never have too many pass rushers. When they get gassed they are nearly useless. Stack them deep and keep them fresh. There should be plenty of snaps to go around.

• Like 2

Seems like the Chargers bloggers really liked McCain...

https://boltbeat.com/2018/04/15/chargers-rescind-de-chris-mccains-rfa-tender/

...In a move that doesn’t make too much sense, the Los Angeles Chargers rescinded Chris McCain’s RFA tender.

Chargers defensive end Chris McCain burst onto the scene in 2017...

...After standing out in the 2017 preseason, McCain went on to play in a career-high 15 games and finished with 20 combined tackles and five sacks, third-most on the team. He also forced two fumbles. McCain put up those numbers playing the fewest amount of defensive snaps among the team’s defensive linemen (minimum five games played)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The Jaguars would never trade him within the division. If they did then they know something negative that we dont.

"Couldn't absorb the playbook", "Conduct detrimental to the team, etc."

HOWEVER:

McCain is also learning what it takes to be a professional. In May, he caused a dust-up by saying the league should strip the New England Patriots of their Super Bowl championship due to their alleged involvement in a ball-deflation scheme.

:scoregood:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yikes! That's scary weak lol. Okay, I understand I'm a power lifter//bodybuilder so we train for different goals. But good grief. I'm 200 and can hit 225x35 as a burnout easy

But how quick can you:

run a forty

turn the edge

get off the snap

bench press don’t mean much

this cat probs has real long arms 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alex22 said:

But how quick can you:

run a forty

turn the edge

get off the snap

Yes I said that. Physical strength and football strength is different. Just seems abnormally weak for a dude that size. 

12 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

The DE position is going to be very crowded this year. My only worry is that there are too many mouths to feed which will hurt the development of Basham and our rookies.

Competition is the only way to get guys to perform at their best all the time.  You do not get fed if you can't hack it.  Basham better show some things early or he will get buried on the depth chart.  All of these guys are in the same boat.  Perform solid every day or walk the sidelines every Sunday and worry about the game check for next week.  This is why I like Ballards philosophy.  Competition will get guys better!

10 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The Jaguars would never trade him within the division. If they did then they know something negative that we dont.

The article actually acknowledged the point of trading him within the division as being a hard thing to do but they like the trade anyway as both parties would benefit.  They mentioned us trading with the Patriots as something they never thought would happen but it did.  I guess you never know. 

22 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

We’ve got Sheard, Simon, Basham, McCain, and Turay with Autry and Lewis as hybrid DEs. I doubt we carry 7 DEs on the final 53 man roster. 4-3 teams normally carry 4 DEs. 

Camp bodies and competition, it will be wild to see who actually makes this team, I see a lot of surprise cuts 

55 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

We’ve got Sheard, Simon, Basham, McCain, and Turay with Autry and Lewis as hybrid DEs. I doubt we carry 7 DEs on the final 53 man roster. 4-3 teams normally carry 4 DEs. 

That was my point....I wonder if they may tinker with Simon at SSLB?  I also think that Sheard and Autry could move inside(not at the same time) on 3rd downs. I can't see Indy keeping more than 5 at most.

22 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

All depth; no game changers or no one that the opposing team will have to game plan for....

It depends on what they do with Simon, imo?  If he stays at DE than I could see him and Sheard starting with Autry and Basham as the main backups.  I don't believe Indy selected two players in the 2nd round just to cut them....should be interesting.

Just now, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That was my point....I wonder if they may tinker with Simon at SSLB?  I also think that Simon and Autry could move inside(not at the same time) on 3rd downs. I can't see Indy keeping more than 5 at most.

I think Autry and Lewis will move inside on 3rd downs because they both have experience doing so. Who knows what we are going to do with Simon. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I think Autry and Lewis will move inside on 3rd downs because they both have experience doing so. Who knows what we are going to do with Simon. 

That is right, Lewis did move inside on pass rushing downs...I hope they move Simon to SSLB as I like him as a player and feel the position is lacking right now, where as DE is pretty deep.

Edit:  I said in my first quote to you that I thought Autry and Simon could move inside...I meant Sheard not Simon...lol.  I fixed it.

• Like 2

He attended Cal for 2.5 years and was quietly and summarily dismissed from the team, even though he was arguably their most talented player.  Not sure what happened there but it is rarely a good sign.  Hopefully whatever issues he had back then are far behind him.  He has alluded to some issues with the program, back then but has never described them and has admitted the dismissal was probably proper.   Very mysterious. 

4 hours ago, masnerj said:

Simon might get cut.....just a thought

Don't be too quick to write him off. Simon was a key player on the D last year until he got injured. At times the only pass rush we had, and he played well against the run. I like him at the SAM too. Hope they give him a chance to win the job. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 11:43 PM, Alex22 said:

But how quick can you:

run a forty

turn the edge

get off the snap

To whom?

\

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes I said that. Physical strength and football strength is different. Just seems abnormally weak for a dude that size. 

If you add the totals for vertical leap, standing broad jump and bench press, you get Pat Kirwan's "Explosion" number.  You simply add up the three scores; if the score hits 70 or better, you’ve got an explosive player.

• Like 1

There will be several guys that don't make the roster that will surprise us. (Both sides of the ball...OL too) We may not have a lot of top end talent but I think what we lack there is made up for in depth. The competition will push others to stay motivated and work harder. We went hard after the trenches....can't say Ballard hasn't kept his word. It's now up to some of these guys to take a step to being special.

I was just thinking but are we just so used to seeing avg to below avg players in the trenches that we think cutting one of the guys we got is crazy? I can't say that any of our guys are untouchable. After all most were let go by other teams already. Just because they started for us last year doesn't mean we should just accept the status quo. I have to remind myself that...we are trying to IMPROVE.