boo2202

Nyhiem Hines our Dion Lewis

Recommended Posts

I'll be the first to admit when we drafted him, I was like who's this kid. Now after watching tape of this kid, he's explosive. Some will question his size that's why I use the Lewis reference but he looks good running between the tackles. If he gets to the second level good bye. Catches the ball like a receiver. I really think he's going to surprise some people. Out of all the picks (besides Nelson) he excites me the most. He's someone that d coordinators will have to account for. Just my thoughts from watching a few games. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope hes much better than Lewis. Lewis fit in the Pats system fine but he is so overrated IMO. Not sure how good Hines will be in the NFL. But he has way more potential and upside than Lewis. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 6:47 PM, boo2202 said:

I'll be the first to admit when we drafted him, I was like who's this kid. Now after watching tape of this kid, he's explosive. Some will question his size that's why I use the Lewis reference but he looks good running between the tackles. If he gets to the second level good bye. Catches the ball like a receiver. I really think he's going to surprise some people. Out of all the picks (besides Nelson) he excites me the most. He's someone that d coordinators will have to account for. Just my thoughts from watching a few games. 

I was thinking he could be our Darren Sproles because there wanting to get him out in space. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

He has Chris Johnson like speed. Hopefully, that translates to the NFL field. 

 

I know what you're trying to say,  but the numbers don't back it up....

 

Hines' best 40 is 4.38

 

CJ's best 40 is....   4.24

 

Both are very fast.     One is much faster than the other.....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I know what you're trying to say,  but the numbers don't back it up....

 

Hines' best 40 is 4.38

 

CJ's best 40 is....   4.24

 

Both are very fast.     One is much faster than the other.....

 

the 4.38 was quoted by Hines as his slowest reported times he's ever been clocked at while running the 40. The numbers are what they are but if used properly he should be fun for luck and this offense.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I know what you're trying to say,  but the numbers don't back it up....

 

Hines' best 40 is 4.38

 

CJ's best 40 is....   4.24

 

Both are very fast.     One is much faster than the other.....

 

The corrector strikes  :)

 

You are right (as almost always :) ) I think Chris Johnson was probably a better prospect.

 

(man he did fall after that monster 2k season)

 

With a better OL, my hope is we can make ALL of our RBs look better

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless, Hines is fast. And even more importantly, shifty. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Hart was slow in a straight line but he made the first man miss every time he caught the ball or when he did get to the second level, there is a word for that "elusive". Donald Brown, on the other hand, was faster than Hart in a straight line, a one cut runner IF he had the lane but when he caught the ball, he rarely made the first man miss. Darren Sproles saw the field so well, was elusive and knew when to turn on the jets once he saw the open spaces. 

 

I hope Hines' speed comes with elusiveness and vision, two very important characteristics for an RB.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chad72 said:

Mike Hart was slow in a straight line but he made the first man miss every time he caught the ball or when he did get to the second level, there is a word for that "elusive". Donald Brown, on the other hand, was faster than Hart in a straight line, a one cut runner IF he had the lane but when he caught the ball, he rarely made the first man miss.

 

I hope Hines' speed comes with elusiveness and vision, two very important characteristics for an RB.

I see more speed from Hines, than elusiveness and vision .........  but, I only have very little video to go from

 

I see more vision.... by a long shot ... from Wilkins.....  This helps him be elusive.....

 

My gut tells me that Wilkins may have a better career.... but  :) my gut... has been wrong before

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I know what you're trying to say,  but the numbers don't back it up....

 

Hines' best 40 is 4.38

 

CJ's best 40 is....   4.24

 

Both are very fast.     One is much faster than the other.....

 

you really have to laugh that .14 seconds is MUCH faster

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you cant say .14 seconds in less than .14 seconds, I think its overrated 

 

so over 40 years unimpeded i do not see that being a huge deal at all, I may be in the majority here but they are BOTH really fast and .14 is not as big of a deal as it seems

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

you really have to laugh that .14 seconds is MUCH faster

I think for RBs it isnt the most important thing

 

There are very successful RB that are slow in comparison

but

If you were a WR, it MIGHT be the difference...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so here is my point in larger detail. so in 40 yards its faster than a blink of an eye. We are talking about  ~1/10 of a second. pure physics tells that is negligible to the human eye, the ran side by side they would be virtually side by side.

 

I am going to give this up because its lunacy to compare time with no pads on and nothing in front of them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

you really have to laugh that .14 seconds is MUCH faster

 

I kniw it may look funny...   but it is much faster...    seriously....   especially over 40 yards....

 

I kid you not......     honestly! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

so here is my point in larger detail. so in 40 yards its faster than a blink of an eye. We are talking about  ~1/10 of a second. pure physics tells that is negligible to the human eye, the ran side by side they would be virtually side by side.

 

I am going to give this up because its lunacy to compare time with no pads on and nothing in front of them

 

Do you watch the draft on the NFL Network?     A tenth of a second is a decent sized gap at 40 yards.

 

The Network often will compare two athletes...   they synch up two 40 yard dashes to make it look like the guys were racing each other.    I think you be stunned at the gap from a tenth of a second....   and the gap of .14 would obviously be bigger. 

 

I'd guess we're talking about a yard or two.   In a short race that's a good sized gap...

 

Im not trying to be argumentative...   just making a point about relative speed...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

you really have to laugh that .14 seconds is MUCH faster

 

In this instance sure, especially since this was apparently Hines worst 40 time. But in general I think a .14 difference is big for some positions. A WR would be considered kinda slow if he ran a 4.62 whereas a 4.48 forty would be solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Do you watch the draft on the NFL Network?     A tenth of a second is a decent sized gap at 40 yards.

 

The Network often will compare two athletes...   they synch up two 40 yard dashes to make it look like the guys were racing each other.    I think you be stunned at the gap from a tenth of a second....   and the gap of .14 would obviously be bigger. 

 

I'd guess we're talking about a yard or two.   In a short race that's a good sized gap...

 

Mom nit trying to be argumentative...   just making a point about relative speed...

 

a Yard or Two? we are talking .14 of a second not 1.14 seconds.  Im out!

 

Look how fast this claps 14 in one second now break that down 0.14 and tell me how a guy can gain one or two yards in that span. so at his speed he only gets just over one clap, does that looks one or two yards, I man cannot run a yard in 0.14 let alone two

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

a Yard or Two? we are talking .14 of a second not 1.14 seconds.  Im out!

 

Look how fast this claps 14 in one second now break that down 0.14 and tell me how a guy can gain one or two yards in that span. so at his speed he only gets just over one clap, does that looks one or two yards, I man cannot run a yard in 0.14 let alone two

 

 

 

Ok....

 

I'm sorry....   I asked a simple straight forward question...   have you watched the NFL Network during the combine?  Because if you had ever seen their comparison videos you understand how big the difference is between 4.24 and 4.38.

 

The fact that you didn't answer this and then turned around to offer some silly video that is unrelated to what we're talking about tells me what I need to know.

 

 You don't understand this and you don't want to know about this.  That's fine.   Your choice.

 

But you're right....  we should drop this topic...    thanks,  I appreciate this.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

a Yard or Two? we are talking .14 of a second not 1.14 seconds.  Im out!

 

Look how fast this claps 14 in one second now break that down 0.14 and tell me how a guy can gain one or two yards in that span. so at his speed he only gets just over one clap, does that looks one or two yards, I man cannot run a yard in 0.14 let alone two

 

 

What does clapping have to do with sprinting lol. NewColtsFan is right about it being 1-2 yards difference.

 

If you think it takes 1.14 seconds to travel 2 yards then a 40 yard sprint would take like 20 seconds haha.

 

The faster players will hit around 23 mph top speed in a 40. So simple conversions show:

23 Miles/hour x 1760 yards/mile x 1 hour/3600 seconds x 0.14 seconds = 1.6 yards

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put ''40-Yard Dash SimulCam'' on Youtube/Google and see for yourself. 0.14 is a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there really an argument that Hines is as fast as Chris Johnson? The guy who had the 40 yard dash record. (And even though John Ross beat Johsons' time, if you watch the comparison video, it actually looks like Johnson was still faster.)

 

By that logic, Austin Collie and Hines are the same speed...since Collie's 40 yard dash was .15 slower than Hines.

 

I know Hines said that was a disappointing time, but Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 in front of everyone at the Combine. If Hines can do it, he hasn't proved it. Hines is fast...but Johnson could fly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

He has Chris Johnson like speed. Hopefully, that translates to the NFL field. 

Yeah...not exactly.  Not to cut hairs, but he's more like Adrian Peterson speed without the moves.  CJ Spiller was/is much faster...where's he?  Jacoby Ford was/is much, much faster...where's he.  I think people are blowing this guy's skills way out of proportion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A8bil said:

Yeah...not exactly.  Not to cut hairs, but he's more like Adrian Peterson speed without the moves.  CJ Spiller was/is much faster...where's he?  Jacoby Ford was/is much, much faster...where's he.  I think people are blowing this guy's skills way out of proportion. 

Or you could totally dislike the pick/player. Have you even watched the kid play? If I could recall correctly, He had less than 200 snaps in college (fresh legs) and when he did hit the whole it was with Chris Johnson like speed to the 2nd level.

 

Is calling any player quick/fast as CJ2k impossible to you? Just say that and we all could move along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

a Yard or Two? we are talking .14 of a second not 1.14 seconds.  Im out!

 

Look how fast this claps 14 in one second now break that down 0.14 and tell me how a guy can gain one or two yards in that span. so at his speed he only gets just over one clap, does that looks one or two yards, I man cannot run a yard in 0.14 let alone two

 

 

 

Ahh physics is a cruel mistress..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

In terms of comparison to Johnson I’d be more worried about the 10 yard split (1.51 vs 1.43). 

That’s like 1.33 claps

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best running backs in NFL history were great because of good speed but also because they could make someone miss a tackle and had phenomenal vision to hit the right hole and run to daylight. Great speed is not necessary to be a great running back. You can't be slow, but straight line speed is just a small part of the equation. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Or you could totally dislike the pick/player. Have you even watched the kid play? If I could recall correctly, He had less than 200 snaps in college (fresh legs) and when he did hit the whole it was with Chris Johnson like speed to the 2nd level.

 

Is calling any player quick/fast as CJ2k impossible to you? Just say that and we all could move along.

Yep...seen him play.  Don't like the pick.  Not shifty, average vision, and not quick/fast enough to make a difference.  I pointed out Ford and Spiller because they are much faster than Hines, but they had marginal impact in the NFL, and at least Spiller had more skills as a RB.  Hines can only survive in the NFL as a speed back and frankly he's just not that fast.    

 

I'll add that if you go back and watch Mack game tapes, he makes defenses take worse angles than Hines does.  In other words, college players were able to adjust to Hines' speed more than Mack's.  I suspect Hines will have a few big plays where defenses make mistakes, but he's going to have less of an impact than Tavon Austin, which is to say almost no impact. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take CJ like speed but not the person. That dude is a fricken *. Wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole. The pac man Jones of running backs

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

What does clapping have to do with sprinting lol. NewColtsFan is right about it being 1-2 yards difference.

 

If you think it takes 1.14 seconds to travel 2 yards then a 40 yard sprint would take like 20 seconds haha.

 

The faster players will hit around 23 mph top speed in a 40. So simple conversions show:

23 Miles/hour x 1760 yards/mile x 1 hour/3600 seconds x 0.14 seconds = 1.6 yards

I think it's even easier.

 

Someone runs the 40 yard dash in 4.38 seconds that means they run 9.13 yards/sec, so in 0.14 seconds they have ran 1.28 yards(9.13 yards/sec * 0.14 seconds).

Obviously, in 1.14 seconds he has run 10.41 yards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think it's even easier.

 

Someone runs the 40 yard dash in 4.38 seconds that means they run 9.13 yards/sec, so in 0.14 seconds they have ran 1.28 yards(9.13 yards/sec * 0.14 seconds).

Obviously, in 1.14 seconds he has run 10.41 yards.

You’re using an average speed. That would work if they were running at a constant speed the entire 40 yards, but they’re not. They’re accelerating from 0 to about 11ish yards/sec. that’s why I used an instantaneous speed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

You’re using an average speed. That would work if they were running at a constant speed the entire 40 yards, but they’re not. They’re accelerating from 0 to about 11ish yards/sec. that’s why I used an instantaneous speed.

Good point and I realized it was a general number and not exact at any given moment in time.  Although you probably could get fairly accurate if we plotted a graph with the times at 10, 20 and 40 yards. you would have to  do some calcs with the Delta from 10 to 20, 20 to 40 and 10 to 40 but from that you should be able to figure the speed at each yard in the 40, at least within 1/10th second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

you really have to laugh that .14 seconds is MUCH faster

 

It's the NFL, a half a step can make the difference between touchdown and incomplete pass.  

 

.14 less seconds on the 40 is significantly faster.  

 

You can't compare him to Chris Johnson.  4.38 is pretty fast but there are plenty of players who have run that fast or faster in the combine.  Chris Johnson set a record that held for like 20+ years until John Ross.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does someone have a video of Hines running simultaneously with a guy running a that is 0.14 or similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where all this is going...shiftiness and burst...can he make cuts and accelerate again quickly. I'm not a scout but that is what I want. How many times is a RB going to break free untouched for 40yds. Not often lets be real. If they do then well its a good run no matter what and I'm not concerned. Maybe .14 is the difference between getting caught or taking it to the house. Either way it may happen once or twice a year. It would be the Colts coaches job to get him into more positions to utilize his speed in space. A true RB will not operate in space that much. They operate between the tackles and in a chaotic..dynamic environment...not a static one on a 40yd dash. I don't know enough to know Hines ability and measurable on how fast he gets up to speed...does he burst through holes or after a cut. Its immediate acceleration to get away from a tackler (and angles or vision) that will mean if this kid becomes something special. I think he will be used more so to catch the ball out of the back field or spread him out..maybe screens...stuff to get him in space and use that top end speed. Think getting WR speed mismatched on LBs and Safeties (who typically cover running backs). Stuff that makes Darren Sproles special...probably not running the ball kinda stuff that made Chris Johnson special. I don't think it was the fact CK2K ran a 4.2 40...it was he could do that plus he understood angles and reading and seeing a cut back and then accelerated like a Ferrari through it. If Hines shows he can tote the rock...I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm thinking he is to be used more like Sproles than CJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 6:34 AM, MikeCurtis said:

The corrector strikes  :)

 

You are right (as almost always :) ) I think Chris Johnson was probably a better prospect.

 

(man he did fall after that monster 2k season)

 

With a better OL, my hope is we can make ALL of our RBs look better

 

 

 

 

He didn’t fall. He was always overrated. Think about it. You’re the fastest player on the field. You get a giant hole opened up for you and now every carry is 20+ yards. It’s easy to rack up 2,000 yards like that. His issue was that he wasn’t a bell cow back who could get the tough yards. If there wasn’t a huge hole for him to get through, he was pretty useless. Once teams figured this out, he was easier to stop. Let’s hope Hines is even better than CJ2K as a pure runner.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be right Defjamz26

 

But 2k is pretty special... right?

 

I dont know the details, but wonder if he was nicked........  

 

Sometimes the speedsters lose their whle game if they lose a step

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.