Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top FA's Still Available

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I have Lee at 6'2" 245 lbs....

Luke Kuechly is 6'3" and 238 lbs

D. Leonard is  6'3" 235 lbs...

Vander Esch is 6'4" 255 lbs... and solkid MIKE material.

It's not just size....

I understand it's not just size...   I was implying that when you referenced their size...

If they're not going to be too big, then they're going to be something else....   they're going to be fast and quick and more athletic...

And three of the four linebackers you referenced are within the size parameters I referenced...

This is a head scratching exchange...   the second in two days.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand it's not just size...   I was implying that when you referenced their size...

If they're not going to be too big, then they're going to be something else....   they're going to be fast and quick and more athletic...

And three of the four linebackers you referenced are within the size parameters I referenced...

This is a head scratching exchange...   the second in two days.

You said-

"I could be wrong, but it's my sense of things that we want all our linebackers in the 235-245 range.    I don't see us signing or drafting someone heavier than that."

Isn't Urlacher, Sean Lee, and Vander Esch all at the upper end or above that threshold? Speed an quickness isn't just about lower weight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is a head scratching exchange...   the second in two days."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, what was the other?

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You said-

"I could be wrong, but it's my sense of things that we want all our linebackers in the 235-245 range.    I don't see us signing or drafting someone heavier than that."

Isn't Urlacher, Sean Lee, and Vander Esch all at the upper end or above that threshold? Speed an quickness isn't just about lower weight.

"This is a head scratching exchange...   the second in two days."

OK, what was the other?

Apologies...   this post will be long to address all the issues in play here.   No way around this...   so here we go...

Where did Urlacher mention come from?

You listed four backers and Urlacger wasn't one of them.    You listed Lee, Leonard, kueckly and Vander Esh.    The first three are between the 235-245 range I described.   Only Vander Esch is outside the weight range and he's an athletic freak.

Im sorry I didn't literally state the speed and other athletic requirements.   I thought that was implied by both the weight reference and the comment about "no more thumper."    I should have stated that  so as to be clear.

As to the other head scratcher...    you picked out a post of mine from November about Walter Football where I said I don't think they have a good reputation.   You noted they got the Connor Williams pick right.   As if that makes me wrong.   As if the one pick you noted gives them a good reputation.   What I objected to was back in November when I made my post WF said Williams could go between rounds 2-4.    That's 100 picks!   A spread of one hundred picks!  My dead mother can safely make that projection.   That was November.

Even on the day before the draft they had Pitt O-tackle Brian O'Neill going between rounds 1-3.   Again 100 picks!   You can pull a homeless person off the street, and give him 10 minutes on the internet and he can figure out ONeill could go in those 100 picks.  That's what I mean about not a good reputation.

I just don't understand the need to point out where posters were wrong and others were right?   No one is right or wrong all the time.   But making comments about players being projected too high or low is one of the most popular posts on this website.   Are we doing away with them?   If not, then I don't understand the need to point out where posters were right or wrong.   What's to be gained?

Again.....    sorry this post went so long..... 

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee whizz. We will never be looking for his type. You clearly don't get this D.

You clearly where a Colts fan after 2006. Wasn't until Booger was here did teams stop pulling guard/tackle double off of Freeney. Plus Hankins came from 4-3. 

27 minutes ago, Matabix said:

You clearly where a Colts fan after 2006. Wasn't until Booger was here did teams stop pulling guard/tackle double off of Freeney. Plus Hankins came from 4-3. 

Yes....   Hankins came from a 4-3...   but he didn't like it and it's one if the reasons he signed with the Colts in 2017,  we were running a 3-4 which is what he wanted to play in....

I don't think Booger Mcfarland and Hankins are the same type of athlete and play style.  Plus Mcfarland had years of experience in the exact systems we ran before he even came to be a Colt.  Mcfarland moved and shot gaps better than Hankins.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apologies...   this post will be long to address all the issues in play here.   No way around this...   so here we go...

Where did Urlacher mention come from?

Because he was mentioned by stats, not name(s) when I said this here-

"But I would like a more stout player, too.  If we have a 6-2" - 6'4" lb weighing between 245 - 255 lbs., runs 40 around 4.6, has a 1.60-1.65 10yd split, a 4.15 - 4 short shuttle and 6.9 ish 3 cone, hopefully with great instincts... lets plug that guy in @ MLB and see what happens. If we don't have that guy, we need to fixate on finding and getting him in some way."

These are Urlacher/Lee type numbers.

You listed four backers and Urlacger wasn't one of them.    You listed Lee, Leonard, kueckly and Vander Esh.    The first three are between the 235-245 range I described.   Only Vander Esch is outside the weight range and he's an athletic freak.

Sean Lee fits too.  He's listed as 6'2" and 245 lbs- the lower end of my scale (and one reason I chose it).

http://www.nfl.com/player/seanlee/496937/profile

Im sorry I didn't literally state the speed and other athletic requirements.   I thought that was implied by both the weight reference and the comment about "no more thumper."    I should have stated that  so as to be clear.

As to the other head scratcher...    you picked out a post of mine from November about Walter Football where I said I don't think they have a good reputation.   You noted they got the Connor Williams pick right.   As if that makes me wrong.   As if the one pick you noted gives them a good reputation.   What I objected to was back in November when I made my post WF said Williams could go between rounds 2-4.    That's 100 picks!   A spread of one hundred picks!  My dead mother can safely make that projection.   That was November.

Even on the day before the draft they had Pitt O-tackle Brian O'Neill going between rounds 1-3.   Again 100 picks!   You can pull a homeless person off the street, and give him 10 minutes on the internet and he can figure out ONeill could go in those 100 picks.  That's what I mean about not a good reputation.

I just don't understand the need to point out where posters were wrong and others were right?   No one is right or wrong all the time.  

That bolded part is exactly the point, everyone sometimes get things right, and sometimes wrong.  People, web sites, analysts, football teams.  A poster mentioned a player would drop, and was shot down. He cited a resource that supported why he felt Connor would fall out of round 1 to round two.  That was questioned as well. Both he and that resource turned out right.

To be fair, I even mentioned I wasn't trying to single anybody out in my post, but we all have hits, and we all have misses.  It makes the forum go.  And also proves nobody is an absolute authority.  As an aside, from what I've heard, Charlie Campbell (the insider at Walter Football) is legit, and often gets great info. Of course, teams/agents etc. can also use guys like that to 'leak' certain information; some maybe not always on the up and up either. Walt  on the otherhand... uhhh...

But making comments about players being projected too high or low is one of the most popular posts on this website.  

Why not have people explain why they feel a poster is incorrect.  People just say "No way dude drops that far" and leaves it.  Poster responds with a supporting web site also feels that way as well, and the pushback is his web site is not reliable either.  No explanations why they would be wrong.  Or questions asking further details and why the feel that way.  Then they get it right, and the people that said had said they were wrong and relying on poor info scoot on by unscathed waiting for the next prey...

Are we doing away with them?   If not, then I don't understand the need to point out where posters were right or wrong.   What's to be gained?

Again.....    sorry this post went so long..... 

Do them.  But I'd like discussion to why from more people.  Can learn more than 'no way that ever happens, dude... and your site has a poor reputation', without examples to support it.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, krunk said:

I don't think Booger Mcfarland and Hankins are the same type of athlete and play style.  Plus Mcfarland had years of experience in the exact systems we ran before he even came to be a Colt.  Mcfarland moved and shot gaps better than Hankins.

I'm talking size and other teams need to double team. Who do we have now that requires double team. Other teams are going to play us like the past. Double outside, single inside. Follow lead block and run up the middle.

19 hours ago, Matabix said:

I'm talking size and other teams need to double team. Who do we have now that requires double team. Other teams are going to play us like the past. Double outside, single inside. Follow lead block and run up the middle.

So I assume you're talking 21 personnel in your example.

There is a thing called run gap control.  If proper technique is used by ALL of the front 7 (or 8 if walking a safety down into the box) is executed to maintain and control Their_Assigned_Gap, the play is stuffed, or has to bounce to the outside, where zone corners see run keys in front of them and come down to help on the tackle. Here is a couple picture examples-

1f3630fb49f2e47dd3d62f01f6956940_crop_no

4dacb66d6955a754bf88f4ef3143ddf4_crop_ex

{SAM is just off picture to the right}

So the results we see is a coaching/execution thing. If any of the D lets the O linemen get right up straight into his numbers, he lost gap control and failed his assignment that play. He must be off shoulder and shaded and penetrate into his gap, and maintain it during the play.

As for Over and Under 4 - 3 fronts, I'll paste this-

"The key to knowing the difference between the “Over” and “Under” front in the 4-3 defense is the alignment of the “3-technique” defensive tackle and the Nose.

In the “Under” front, the Nose is aligned to the “closed” side of the formation with the “3-technique” defensive tackle aligned to the “open” side—opposite of what you see in the “Over” front."

The closed side refers to side where TE is.  If a team can run two TE's, the D game plan installed determines which TE side is determined closed, for D play call alignments in game.