Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Surprise Camp Cuts

TheMose

28 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Who are some guys you could see getting cut during or after camps? Mine aren't too surprising but Hunt, TJ Green, and Morrison

I agree, I'm not sure any of those would qualify as a surprise. haha

I think Ryan Grant, Swoope and Mewhort could all be cut. 

• Like 1

i think green will make it, ballard seems to like him and i doubt many udfas will be able to beat him out at this point

simon is a wildcard to me, he could get cut or traded or end up being one of our best players 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I don't think there is anyway Mewhort gets cut.  I could, however, see the Colts IRing him and then reaching an injury settlement with him.  But if he's healthy he's a starter because he is that good when healthy (and yes that is tough for a Wolverine fan to say about a former Buckeye)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think there is anyway Mewhort gets cut.  I could, however, see the Colts IRing him and then reaching an injury settlement with him.  But if he's healthy he's a starter because he is that good when healthy (and yes that is tough for a Wolverine fan to say about a former Buckeye)

It's tough for a Buckeye to make that statement.  Probably not as tough as watching Buckeye 2nd and third string QBs beat your team though.haha

You're right, if he's cut/IRed it would be because of his medical issues.  That would be sad, he was turning into a really good guard before the knee gave out.

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He is definitely not a starter at guard js

I don't see Antonio Morrison getting cut, unless the rookie LB's (including the UDFA ones) outperform expectations. The depth at safety is so thin, so I don't see TJ Green getting cut either.

Le'Raven Clark is fair game. 

• Like 1

It is really hard to predict anything when both schemes and coaches are new and changed throughout. Some of the fringe guys mentioned here might be a much better fit than we anticipate, so who knows. Heck, I think even Ballard will be taken by surprise on a player or two, positive or negative.

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

What about Simon? We've showed we aren't afraid to cut a player for not fitting scheme regardless of talent. While I think Simon can make the change, maybe the front office feels differently. 

Simon in fact does fit the 4-3 defense. While he was at OSU in college he played in a 4-3. I have him playing SSLB. He can set a strong edge and holds up quite well. 

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Simon in fact does fit the 4-3 defense. While he was at OSU in college he played in a 4-3. I have him playing SSLB. He can set a strong edge and holds up quite well. 

That was also about 5 years ago. While I agree with you and think he can definitely play 4-3 at the pro level, I don't believe he has yet. And it's a surprise cut so I had to reach a bit. Lol

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

How many times does the coaching staff and the GM have to tell you that Simon fits before you people stop saying he doesn't fit?

Read my comment below yours. It's a surprise cut, have to make it a bit shocking. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Grant would be a real surprise as he signed a 1 year 5 mill contract that is fully guaranteed. Swoop if healthy should be an asset too.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I don't see Antonio Morrison getting cut, unless the rookie LB's (including the UDFA ones) outperform expectations. The depth at safety is so thin, so I don't see TJ Green getting cut either.

Le'Raven Clark is fair game. 

Morrison isnt even good he cant cover and this is tsmpa 2 you got to know how to cover morrision is getting cut no doubt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Ryan Grant wont be cut neither will Swoope if healthy Mewhort if he gets hurt again I could see.

3 hours ago, TheMose said:

Who are some guys you could see getting cut during or after camps? Mine aren't too surprising but Hunt, TJ Green, and Morrison

Agreed all three of those guys suck get rid of them.

57 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Grant would be a real surprise as he signed a 1 year 5 mill contract that is fully guaranteed. Swoop if healthy should be an asset too.

Hence the "surprise".  Ballard has made it clear that it doesn't matter when they're drafted or what their contract calls for.

Actually, I'm making that guess on all three based on their health.  All three have had issues recently.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that any of them get cut.  I hope they all make the team.  That would mean they're all healthy and out performing someone who was cut.  The cream rises, as they say.

I think Simon will prove he belongs and start at the SAM. Morrison is toast. So is Vuj.  I think La'Raven Clark is clearly on the bubble. He has to show big time improvement strength wise or he'll be gone as well. My surprise cut: Turbin. Not that I want it to happen. But his injury leaves him vulnerable and the young bucks will beat him out. 

We’ve got Chester [Rogers], who we thought was nicked up last year, but we think he’s got a chance to really ascend,” Ballard said Wednesday at the combine. “He’s going into his third year. He’s done a great job this offseason working on his body.”

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/02/indianapolis-colts-chester-rogers-chance-to-really-ascend/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On wanting more speed at defensive tackle: “We are not a 2-gap team any more. We are going to be a single-gap team, up field and disruptive. We want guys that can get off the ball and be disruptive. It’s going to take us a little bit to transition into it. Grover Stewart, one of the reasons I was so attracted to him coming out was he had great get off. For a big man, Grover can really run. This scheme is predicated on being able to get up field and penetrate into the gap. We have work to do. We think (Hassan) Ridgeway has that kind of ability. It will be interesting to see when they get in. It’s hard to play the way we are going to play and run the way we are going to run on defense. It’s predicated off effort, effort to the ball, every play. That’s how you create turnovers. When you get 11 players running to the ball, every play, that’s how good things are going to happen. It’s hard with bigger men. It’s hard with 330-pound men. Grover is a big man and so is Al Woods, but we thought both of them could give us what we needed out of the 1-technique even as big as they are.”

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/10-colts-tidbits-chris-ballard-nfl-annual-meetings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margus_Hunt

Surprising  2013 Scouting combine numbers for Margus Hunt:

...For nearly 10 years, Bruce Feldman, a writer for CBSSports.com, has annually compiled what he calls a "Freak List" of the 10 college football players he considers the most freakish athletes. In 2012, Hunt was on top of his list. According to Feldman, Hunt "sounds like a PlayStation football creation"—despite his 82-inch wingspan, he is able to bench press 225 pounds  35 times, and has also cleaned 384 pounds and snatched 345 pounds. Hunt also boasts a 36-inch vertical jump.

Wollman predicted that Hunt would have 45 repetitions and a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the 2013 NFL combine. Hunt did, in fact, run a 4.60-second 40-yard dash and did 38 bench press repetitions while posting a vertical leap of 34.5-inch at the 2013 combine.

No. 92 – Indianapolis Colts

Position: Defensive end

Born: July 14, 1987 (age 30)
                 Karksi-Nuia, Estonia

Height :6 ft 8 in 

Weight: 298 lb 

As much as we all like to pile on TJ Green...I think somewhere Ballard was quoted saying he was put in bad position last year...basically sounded like the old defense was not a fit and this defense may fit better, so I think he’s will stick around....he also fits the athlete lacking production mold of Ballard’s picks( before everyone gets angry, I’m not saying that because I didn’t like the draft, I in fact did)