Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players Chosen Per Position in the 2018 NFL Draft

This is something I pay very close attention to. These numbers are relatively rock steady every year. The number of safety's drafted were down a little this year. 

Players Chosen Per Position:

Quarterback Prospects

Running Back Prospects

Wide Receiver Prospects

Tight End Prospects

Offensive Tackle Prospects

Interior Offensive Line Prospects

Interior Defensive Line Prospects

Edge Defender Prospects

Linebacker Prospects

Cornerback Prospects

Safety Prospects

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:07 PM, BlueShoe said:

This is something I pay very close attention to. These numbers are relatively rock steady every year. The number of safety's drafted were down a little this year. 

Quarterback Prospects

Running Back Prospects

Wide Receiver Prospects

Tight End Prospects

Edge Defender Prospects

Linebacker Prospects

Cornerback Prospects

Safety Prospects

Wow. This really shows how really good athletes/football players should prepare for the possibiliy of a life after college that may not include the NFL. So many players play but so few are chosen. Your breakdown by position really highlights that. I know the new spring league will help many find spots in football but players better get their education.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 11:07 PM, BlueShoe said:

Quarterback Prospects

Running Back Prospects

Wide Receiver Prospects

Tight End Prospects

Edge Defender Prospects

Linebacker Prospects

Cornerback Prospects

Safety Prospects

This is great. Thanks.

If you analyze the draft value of each position, what do you find? I was reading this earlier and the writer makes some interesting observations. What do you think? Here is part of what he wrote. Do you agree?

Quote:

Quarterbacks now stand out as the most important players in the draft, which makes a lot of sense.  A ton of draft capital was spent on quarterbacks, with four selections in the first ten picks.  And we know the conventional wisdom is that quarterback is the most important position and that the NFL is becoming a more pass-happy league.

But with that obvious exception, the 2018 Draft really resembles a draft from about 20 years ago.  The fact that the running back position comes in second is very noteworthy: this was a great draft to be a running back, and teams seem to be either placing more of an emphasis on running backs (I’m skeptical) or prefer to find a running back in the draft rather than free agency (my hunch).

It was a good draft for non-pass rushing linebackers, too: four went in the first round, a fifth in the second, and five more in the third round. Teams need these players to stop the run, despite the conventional wisdom that non-pass rushing linebackers are less important than say, cornerbacks.

As further evidence of the league shifting an emphasis to the running game is how weak this draft was for wide receivers. No wide receivers went in the top 20 picks, and while this wasn’t quite as bad for WRs/TEs as 2016, the fact that it took pick 40 for the third wide receiver to go off the board is pretty bad for the offensive position that sees the most snaps.

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-2018-nfl-draft-value-by-position-shifts-towards-the-running-game/