Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

Anybody watching the Pacers first preseason game against the Rockets tonight? Or am I the only one since the Colts are also playing? Lol. I skipped the Colts game because I wanted to watch the pacers first preseason game, I will flip it over to the Colts once the Pacers game is over. But  I like what I am seeing with this year's Pacers team the team chemistry is still there from last season and their play has not lost a step either from last season. I know it's the first preseason, I love what I am seeing and they have improved from last season. 

Really like what I saw from TJ Leaf and Edmond Sumner tonight.  Defense was active as always.

Disappointed by Doug McDermott's play, but it is only one game. However, his shot wasn't falling and he was bad defensively. 

I'm pretty surprised they only played 10 guys and Aaron Holiday was the tenth guy and played only 5 minutes. No time for Ike, O'Quinn, Alize, etc. I guess they wanted to have a game playing their regular rotation.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, dgambill said:

I don't want to break up a really solid team for a one year rental. I'm not super excited to get in on a guy that has played Tom Thibidou amount of minutes with bad knee and 29. Not only that he doesn't shoot the 3 well. Butler is a star on his way down....I want guys that are ascending. Not to mention he would probably just leave us at the end of the year anyways. I'm not risking our core on a guy like that. I want a guy I know wants to be here and is locked in to play alongside Dipo for the next 4-5 years.

We've got to keep in mind that we won nothing last year...its no risk

Jimmy Butler isn't a star on his way down. Hes in his prime

Our team breaks up after this season no matter what you or I want. This is the last ride with this group

I'd give up a No.1 for Butler and hope to sign him. I'd at least make the call

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Edmund Sumner need to look for luxury apartments in Fort Wayne...

He's got potential and its spelled 'G-4-NOW"

His play in these first three preseason games has been very surprising. i thought he would just be a JAG that we kept in the G league and then cut in a couple of years. 

The fact that Cory Joseph sat out tonight and Sumner got his minutes over Aaron Holiday is a testament to the work he put in this offseason and training camp. 

He'll probably play some G league because we have complete rights to him and no one can steal him from us, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play much in Fort Wayne and stays on the Pacers active roster.

He's definitely proving that he can be part of our future and is earning a spot on this team.

16 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Our team breaks up after this season no matter what you or I want. This is the last ride with this group

If all it cost was a draft pick almost everyone would offer that....but you have to make the salaries match Mark. Butler is owed over 20 million. It would take 2 or 3 of our core guys to pull off that trade. Minnesota gave up young talent...they aren't going to gift Butler for a late 1st. Butler being a fading star is debatable. Given the way he has been overused in Chicago and Minnesota and his knee injury last year...I wouldn't be concerned if he was a great shooter but he isn't..he is pretty avg at best. He is a great defender and get to the basket player....that doesn't age quite as well.

22 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Oladipo and Sabonis both are still under contract after this season and we will re-sign Turner after this season IMO, so I do not see the main core of this team breaking up anytime soon. We may lose a role player or 2, that happens to every team though every year. Like we lost Lance but picked up Evans. Pacers have a bright future and will be Good for a long time with Oladipo here.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oladipo and Sabonis both are still under contract after this season and we will re-sign Turner after this season IMO, so I do not see the main core of this team breaking up anytime soon. We may lose a role player or 2, that happens to every team though every year. Like we lost Lance but picked up Evans. Pacers have a bright future and will be Good for a long time with Oladipo here.

'Good' isn't East champs.

We have six guys (Collison, Joseph, Evans, Thad Young, Bogan Bogdonavic and Myles Turner) in the final year (or only year) of their deal...We are not going to resign them all.

If you accept that,  we can take on Jimmy Butler in exchange for one or two (Bogdonavic, Collison) of them.

Maybe Jimmy will walk after this year....maybe he wont.

But we have Vic at $21 mil for 3 more years.,.then he becomes $40 mil Vic

Do we want to add an all-star and proven 2-way player and take our shot at the East this year or do we continue to wait and hope for Myles to get better...?

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

If all it cost was a draft pick almost everyone would offer that....but you have to make the salaries match Mark. Butler is owed over 20 million. It would take 2 or 3 of our core guys to pull off that trade.

No it would not.

Cory Joseph ($8 mil)  and Bogdonavic  ($10.5 mil) and a No. 1 for Butler. ($19 mil)...We replace Joseph with Holiday (which we do next season anyway) and Butler replaces Bogdonavic. ..and we are real contenders in the East now

If Butler does not resign with us, we have a ton of money to spend next summer.

We're going to draft low. ..the No.1 is no big deal.

I like our team but we've got to get up off this 'core guys' stuff. We have guys who helped us win 48 and lose in the first round.

Maybe Butler would not even think about coming to Indy. I dont know.

All I'm saying is: We have Vic at a relatively low cost.

Lets try to be the best we can be right now. Make the call.

32 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

'Good' isn't East champs.

We have six guys (Collison, Joseph, Evans, Thad Young, Bogan Bogdonavic and Myles Turner) in the final year (or only year) of their deal...We are not going to resign them all.

If you accept that,  we can take on Jimmy Butler in exchange for one or two (Bogdonavic, Collison) of them.

Maybe Jimmy will walk after this year....maybe he wont.

But we have Vic at $21 mil for 3 more years.,.then he becomes $40 mil Vic

Do we want to add an all-star and proven 2-way player and take our shot at the East this year or do we continue to wait and hope for Myles to get better...?

I don't think Butler is the guy for us. He is a me 1st person IMO. He wants to be the number #1 guy, that isn't happening with Oladipo here. Butler is on a Good team in Minnesota and can't even get along with their with Coach or players. They have one of the best Centers in the league in KAT to go along with Wiggins who is a Very Good player and he can't fit in there. I say no thanks to Butler.

Basketball season is upon us so here is what I think will happen in the 2019 Season. 

-My Top 4 Seeds in the Eastern Conference will be:

1. Celtics (my projected record = 60-22)

2. Raptors (my projected record = 56-26), if Leonard stays healthy they will probably finish 2nd in the Conference. If he doesn't then they are screwed.

3. Sixers (my projected record = 54-28)

4. Pacers (my projected record = 51-31), I see us finishing 4th and winning 1 Playoff series but if Leonard can't stay healthy we may finish 3rd and stay out of the Celtics bracket. That would wreck the Raptors season. If that happens we could make the ECFinals. Sixers are young and could choke in the Playoffs.

-I have the Celtics winning the Eastern Conference

-My Top 4 Seeds in the Western Conference will be:

1. Warriors (my projected record = 61-21)

2. Rockets (my projected record = 58-24)

3. Lakers (my projected record = 52-30)

4. Jazz (my projected record = 51-31)

4T with the Jazz. Thunder (my projected record = 51-31)

-I have the Warriors winning the Western Conference

-I have the Warriors 3-Peating and winning the World Championship over the Celtics in 7 games (4-3)

My Top 5 players of all-time still remain:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. LeBron is now 4th on my list after last season

5. Wilt Chamberlain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Basketball season is upon us so here is what I think will happen in the 2019 Season. 

-My Top 4 Seeds in the Eastern Conference will be:

1. Celtics (my projected record = 60-22)

2. Raptors (my projected record = 56-26), if Leonard stays healthy they will probably finish 2nd in the Conference. If he doesn't then they are screwed.

3. Sixers (my projected record = 54-28)

4. Pacers (my projected record = 51-31), I see us finishing 4th and winning 1 Playoff series but if Leonard can't stay healthy we may finish 3rd and stay out of the Celtics bracket. That would wreck the Raptors season. If that happens we could make the ECFinals. Sixers are young and could choke in the Playoffs.

-I have the Celtics winning the Eastern Conference

-My Top 4 Seeds in the Western Conference will be:

1. Warriors (my projected record = 61-21)

2. Rockets (my projected record = 58-24)

3. Lakers (my projected record = 52-30)

4. Jazz (my projected record = 51-31)

4T with the Jazz. Thunder (my projected record = 51-31)

-I have the Warriors winning the Western Conference

-I have the Warriors 3-Peating and winning the World Championship over the Celtics in 7 games (4-3)

My Top 5 players of all-time still remain:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. LeBron is now 4th on my list after last season

5. Wilt Chamberlain

DAMN, you got those Lakers doing better then I thought. I am truly not that high on that team around Lebron right now, but I think Lebron will as usual make them all better and go on a big MVP run. I just got to see more of the Lakers with Lebron to believe it? I can't doubt Lebron though.

Pacers might be able to move up in standings but it's tough to say? The east is so confusing!!!!! It's going to be a blast though with Lebron finally gone. lmao I think it will be a tough postseason, more teams will believe now.

I will say this about Boston, Brad Stevens has literally lit up the Celtics in the last few weeks due to lousy showings in preseason and telling them they aren't as good as they think they are. And Marcus Smart and JR Smith almost killed each other in preseason. Most of this was not directed at Irving since he rested the final two preseason games and Hayward didn't play the last one either.

I am going to Celtics/Sixers next week and I am still nervous over Gordon Hayward. He still is not completely there yet. He admits his mind is not there yet, so much to get comfortable with. He has not found his shot yet.

Gordon is going to make me nervous for a while I think.......

Kyrie though, Kyrie looks AMAZING.:mindblow: I mean that infection he had in his knee must have been serious since he even looks healthier in his face. He's got the mini fro going on now and committed long term to the Celtics recently in public, so he seems to be more mature this year and happier. I am expecting a big big year from Irving, just worried about Gordon...but it might take longer there. I am also worried about a sophomore slump for Jayson Tatum.

Believe it or not, my husband has a Celtics friend who has the Pacers finishing second in the east.

Raptors though will be fascinating since Kawhi Leonard if he gives a crap and tries hard is an absolute beast. Problem is, I still can't always trust Toronto. But I won't be suprised if the Celtics lose in Toronto next week in game 2. I think Boston wins over Philly. 

Kawhi Leonard though, he could be a potential problem....we'll see. Weird weird dude though.

Philly remains to be seen too since Ben Simmons still can't shoot well. Will be interesting if Boston uses the same game postseason plan vs. them and tosses Baynes on Embiid and Smart on Simmons.

As for the Warriors, they are golden as usual and perfect. But will FA distractions hit them? Durant has not committed.....I think Klay said he wants to stay.

• Like 1

Regardless, I am still picking Celtics/Warriors too and been feeling it for a while. As long as they got Irving to make those big shots they need in the end. I can't trust those others at times to come through with their chucking.

Just hope Hayward can become his old self again sometime this season. And that guy over thinks and is soooo serious. He needs to loosen up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

DAMN, you got those Lakers doing better then I thought. I am truly not that high on that team around Lebron right now, but I think Lebron will as usual make them all better and go on a big MVP run. I just got to see more of the Lakers with Lebron to believe it? I can't doubt Lebron though.

Pacers might be able to move up in standings but it's tough to say? The east is so confusing!!!!! It's going to be a blast though with Lebron finally gone. lmao I think it will be a tough postseason, more teams will believe now.

I will say this about Boston, Brad Stevens has literally lit up the Celtics in the last few weeks due to lousy showings in preseason and telling them they aren't as good as they think they are. And Marcus Smart and JR Smith almost killed each other in preseason. Most of this was not directed at Irving since he rested the final two preseason games and Hayward didn't play the last one either.

I am going to Celtics/Sixers next week and I am still nervous over Gordon Hayward. He still is not completely there yet. He admits his mind is not there yet, so much to get comfortable with. He has not found his shot yet.

Gordon is going to make me nervous for a while I think.......

Kyrie though, Kyrie looks AMAZING.:mindblow: I mean that infection he had in his knee must have been serious since he even looks healthier in his face. He's got the mini fro going on now and committed long term to the Celtics recently in public, so he seems to be more mature this year and happier. I am expecting a big big year from Irving, just worried about Gordon...but it might take longer there. I am also worried about a sophomore slump for Jayson Tatum.

Believe it or not, my husband has a Celtics friend who has the Pacers finishing second in the east.

Raptors though will be fascinating since Kawhi Leonard if he gives a crap and tries hard is an absolute beast. Problem is, I still can't always trust Toronto. But I won't be suprised if the Celtics lose in Toronto next week in game 2. I think Boston wins over Philly. 

Kawhi Leonard though, he could be a potential problem....we'll see. Weird weird dude though.

Philly remains to be seen too since Ben Simmons still can't shoot well. Will be interesting if Boston uses the same game postseason plan vs. them and tosses Baynes on Embiid and Smart on Simmons.

As for the Warriors, they are golden as usual and perfect. But will FA distractions hit them? Durant has not committed.....I think Klay said he wants to stay.

I am pretty high on the Lakers. Kuzma and Ingram both look legit now. LeBron is still LeBron. To me they could definitely get the 3rd Seed. Jazz and Thunder are Good but aren't anything special. The Raptors to me are a huge question mark, nobody knows how good Leonard will be? Yeah I think in the end the Warriors will get 1 more. After that we may start seeing the Celtics/Lakers again in the Finals if the Lakers land 1 more SuperStar next summer in Free Agency. Pacers will be good but not sure how far they will go?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am pretty high on the Lakers. Kuzma and Ingram both look legit now. LeBron is still LeBron. To me they could definitely get the 3rd Seed. Jazz and Thunder are Good but aren't anything special. The Raptors to me are a huge question mark, nobody knows how good Leonard will be? Yeah I think in the end the Warriors will get 1 more. After that we may start seeing the Celtics/Lakers again in the Finals if the Lakers land 1 more SuperStar next summer in Free Agency. Pacers will be good but not sure how far they will go?

I wish I was as high on you with the Lakers. lmao I just sometimes scratch my head Lebron went there unless it was for better weather and to make the family happy. It's a strange strange group there. I admit Ingram and Kuzma are good though.

My feelings on the Warriors is this and I will talk about it with you later in June if it happens.

IF we do get Warriors/Celtics.....and if the series goes 6/7. I am taking Boston to steal it. And then Durant I could even see joining up with Lebron since those two are close. I swear, I got this strange vision in my head of Durant on the Lakers that I keep thinking about. I literally can't get it out of my head that Kevin Durant is headed to the Lakers next year.

Raptors scare me but who the hell is their new coach anyway. Nick Nurse? Okay.......

I got to get to bed but I leave you all with this if you miss Lance. lmao 

• Like 1

I had a friend of mine ask me the other day, how many more Championships will LeBron win? I told him 1. Magic will make sure of it. He will win 1 in LA IMO, either in 2020 or 2021 before he retires. Magic will bring in another SuperStar next summer I can see it. After this season, I can see the Warriors run ending but I do think they 3-Peat.

• Like 1

@2006Coltsbestever

Husband agrees with you, he thinks the Lakers can be A LOT better then I think. So I am being outnumbered here. Lakers might be good. That was actually our conversation this morning too during breakfast, Lakers analysis...... lmao 

The thing is with Boston fans they hate the Lakers as much as they hate the Yankees. Okay maybe not as much, Yankees top everything. But Celtics/Lakers is a historical rivalry too.

Oh and yeah Jimmy Butler went ape butt nuts at practice yesterday. Y'all don't want him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jules said:

@2006Coltsbestever

Husband agrees with you, he thinks the Lakers can be A LOT better then I think. So I am being outnumbered here. Lakers might be good. That was actually our conversation this morning too during breakfast, Lakers analysis...... lmao 

The thing is with Boston fans they hate the Lakers as much as they hate the Yankees. Okay maybe not as much, Yankees top everything. But Celtics/Lakers is a historical rivalry too.

Oh and yeah Jimmy Butler went ape butt nuts at practice yesterday. Y'all don't want him.

I agree, Butler isn't the guy for us. Eventhough it was a pre-season game the Lakers looked really good against the Warriors last night and Curry, Durant, and Thompson all played. Ingram looked great last night. I am finally convinced LeBron is a Top 5 player of all-time and with him the Lakers will win at least 50 games and be a Top 4 Seed at worse in the West IMO. Ingram and Kuzma both look much bigger and stronger, Ingram is killing it in the pre-season.

• Like 1

I think the Lakers lack critical 3pt shooting that especially in the playoffs will kill them in a series against GS or Houston or even a great defensive team like the Jazz. I also don't think Lebron plays 82 games. Probably more like 75 and that right there can be the difference between 50 wins and a 3 seed and 46-48 and a 5 seed or something further down.

Well I figured they'd wait until the offseason to re-sign Myles so they could have more money to sign a max free agent.

Either way good for Myles and hopefully he can stay healthy and have a better showing in the regular season than he did in the preseason.

Also with the recent news of McMillan saying that Turner and Sabonis cannot play together effectively, I see Sabonis being traded early next season.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Solid deal. The next move should be to lock up Sabonis.

I don't know about that. I don't think we can afford to sign both if they can't play together. I think  they made their decision for the future. I guess we'll see how the rotations go this season and how well Sabonis plays. 

Standings Predictions

Eastern Conference:

1. Celtics

2. Raptors

3. Bucks

4. Pacers

5. 76ers

6. Wizards

7. Cavs

8. Heat

X-Factors- Bulls, Pistons

Western Conference:

1. Warriors

2. Jazz

3. Rockets

4. Lakers

5. Nuggets

6. Thunder

7. Pelicans

8. Trail Blazers

X Factors- Timberwolves, Spurs

Award Predictions

MVP: Giannis Antetokounmpo (leads league in scoring, raises team to 3rd seed)

DPOY: Rudy Gobert

MIP: Brandon Ingram (Zach Lavine has a chance if Bulls make playoffs)

COY- Brad Stevens (Celtics will have best record in the NBA)

ROY- Deandre Ayton

6th Man- Eric Gordon

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Standings Predictions

Eastern Conference:

1. Celtics

2. Raptors

3. Bucks

4. Pacers

5. 76ers

6. Wizards

7. Cavs

8. Heat

X-Factors- Bulls, Pistons

Western Conference:

1. Warriors

2. Jazz

3. Rockets

4. Lakers

5. Nuggets

6. Thunder

7. Pelicans

8. Trail Blazers

X Factors- Timberwolves, Spurs

I made some predictions last week on here and still stick with my Top 4 Seeds in each Conference (but I will list my full 8 now) being:

Eastern Conference

1. Celtics

2. Raptors

3. Sixers

4. Pacers

5. Wizards

6. Bucks

7. Heat

8. Pistons

-My Conference Finals = Celtics over Raptors 4-2, Celtics will be the Eastern Conference Champions.

Western Conference

1. Warriors

2. Rockets

3. Lakers

4. Jazz

5. Thunder

6. Pelicans

7. Nuggets

8. Blazers (I have the Spurs shockingly missing the Playoffs)

-My Conference Finals = Warriors over Lakers 4-2, Warriors will be the Western Conference Champions.

-My Finals = Warriors over Celtics 4-3, Warriors will be World Champs again! Kevin Durant will become only the 3rd person in NBA history to win 3 straight Finals MVP's joining Michael Jordan and Shaquille O'Neal. 

-My League MVP = Kevin Durant. I have a feeling he is going to take over being the clear cut #1 guy on the Warriors and Curry will defer to him more. The Warriors will have the best record in the league as well.

-My Coach of the Year = Brad Stevens. The Celtics will have the best record in the Eastern Conference so this will be a no brainer.

• Like 1