Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think NBA Teams have the right to say that they dont want 18 year olds in their league, if that's how they feel../ They are a private organization.

....the more 18 year olds play in the NBA..the more veteran players get cut.

the players' union does not want that.

The NBA may not feel that 18 and 19 year olds have a place sitting on an NBA bench. (I certainly dont)......and that teen bench players are better and more mature after a couple of years of college coaching.  Nobody has the 'right' to play in the NBA at age 18.

Some labor unions do require you to be 21...

Carpenters and electricians can require you be serve a 3 or 4 year apprenticeship beginning at age 18.   You cant be a police officer until you are 21 in any state I know of.

But since there are so few pro basketball jobs...and teenagers do need coaching, the NBA might benefit from having a college-age league for boys who do not want to go to college or flunk out.

All colleges cant afford to pay all their athletes and they cant get away with simply paying the basketball players (by law you'd have to pay the women's players, too, right?)

.....and the NBA may compromise and say "You come to pro ball when you're 18 or you cant come until you're 21.

That helps college basketball.....because colleges have good players for 3 years instead of one.

The 'trust fund' idea is interesting.

Dont some baseball organizations include a paid college eduaction ($150,000 -  $200,000) in the bonus?

NBA teams can afford that because we're talking about far fewer draft choices.

Yes I see where you are coming from. The players association I think is a mute point. They represent 18 year old players just as much as 35 year old ones. There should be no difference on who is more important...they are equal to them I would think. I think a G-League serves it's purpose. Players that are at the end of the bench or developing can still get some run and improve. I'm not sure which is more effective....playing in college or playing in the g-league. I guess in the end I'm thinking the NBA would be better served to take over these AAU circuits and sponsor them. I think it would be much more beneficial to the NCAA and NBA if they keep the shoe companies out and keep the game clean. These kids would get better advice in deciding to go pro or go to college and schools wouldn't be paying shoe companies to get kids to go there. I don't know if it would fix anything but I would trust the NBA to do what is best for the kid more than these hanger ons and shady associates. If the kid needs more work they would direct them to go to school and let the NCAA train them. If they can contribute and have a ton of talent just draft them immediately and put them into their g-league or start playing. I just think the middle men are where things are going stinky. Let the NBA scout and get involved at an early age and they could best determine what path the kid needs to be on and it would eliminate the alliances of aau coaches, players, shoe companies, and college programs they are affiliated with. The other option is to draft kids...give them a signing bonus...put the money in a trust and then send them to college. Use the colleges like a minor league and call the kid up and pay him when he is ready at the end of each college basketball season if he is ready. Thus a kid that has finished his season in March could finish out the NBA season through April to June because he is already drafted and its like calling them up to the majors....just they can't go back if you do...and it would count towards fulfilling his contract and maybe they could arbitrate salaries early on to a team like baseball does. I don't know....I'm getting a headache...its a big problem...and just eliminating one and dones won't solve it imo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

He cant make 'way more' than $25 mil a year for 4 years.....

The word is it isnt about money..its about his younger teammates

He doesnt want to stay in Minneosta is what I'm reading.

Yes...heard he wanted to play with Kyrie. Issues with KAT and Wiggins I believe. Rumors....who knows the truth.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes...heard he wanted to play with Kyrie. Issues with KAT and Wiggins I believe. Rumors....who knows the truth.

That's true..These rumors...they just mislead

Paul George was going to the Lakers for 2 years..he never got there...

the Pelicans were obviously going to resign DeMarcus Cousins..till he rejected them.

I guess I should be glad we have the team we have with no long term debt..

Miami's got a bunch of high priced players with no cap room and no real stars...How did they do that?

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's true..These rumors...they just mislead

Paul George was going to the Lakers for 2 years..he never got there...

the Pelicans were obviously going to resign DeMarcus Cousins..till he rejected them.

I guess I should be glad we have the team we have with no long term debt..

Miami's got a bunch of high priced players with no cap rooms and no real stars...How did they do that?

The Pacers are in a great situation compared to most teams. We arguably have a Top 5 team in the league at the moment and our Cap Space is excellent moving forward. We also have a 25 year old SuperStar that wants to be here in Oladipo. Really only the Warriors, Rockets, and Celtics have a better team than we do. One could argue the Sixers and Raptors but I believe if we played either of those teams it would be 50/50. Same goes for teams like the Lakers (now with LeBron), Jazz, and OKC, it would be 50/50 if we played them in the Playoffs but we wont because they are in the West.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Pacers are in a great situation compared to most teams. We arguably have a Top 5 team in the league at the moment and our Cap Space is excellent moving forward. We also have a 25 year old SuperStar that wants to be here in Oladipo. Really only the Warriors, Rockets, and Celtics have a better team than we do. One could argue the Sixers and Raptors but I believe if we played either of those teams it would be 50/50. Same goes for teams like the Lakers (now with LeBron), Jazz, and OKC, it would be 50/50 if we played them in the Playoffs but we wont because they are in the West.

That's the key with Vic...he wants to be here...

We'll need big bucks to sign him in 2022 but he fits here...His place is here.

We are very lucky in that respect...

What do we need long term? For Holiday to turn into an all-star and for Sabonis and Turner to play effectively in tandem.  Things that COULD happen (not saying they will) but don't require money or luck..

Those four could be the heart of our team for 6 years (assuming Vic resigns with us for 4 more years) and make us the Celtics No. 1 rival for the east every year

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's the key with Vic...he wants to be here...

We'll need big bucks to sign him in 2022 but he fits here...His place is here.

We are very lucky in that respect...

What do we need long term? For Holiday to turn into an all-star and for Sabonis and Turner to play effectively in tandem.  Things that COULD happen (not saying they will) but don't require money or luck..

Those four could be the heart of our team for 6 years (assuming Vic resigns with us for 4 more years) and make us the Celtics No. 1 rival for the east every year

I am hoping Turner improves and we keep Sabonis and Turner both for years. Having 2 quality Big's would give us an advantage over most teams. With Philly having Embiid we can offset that with our 2 guys.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll give you this, you are optimistic.   I think the Pacers are arguably a top 4 team in the East.   I wouldn't make the leap to top 5 in the league though.   They only would have made the playoffs by 1 game in the West and that was with playing an East schedule.   I think they have improved a bit from last season.   We'll have to wait and see though.   I think they finish 4th in the East and probably win the first series because I think they are hungry for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I'll give you this, you are optimistic.   I think the Pacers are arguably a top 4 team in the East.   I wouldn't make the leap to top 5 in the league though.   They only would have made the playoffs by 1 game in the West and that was with playing an East schedule.   I think they have improved a bit from last season.   We'll have to wait and see though.   I think they finish 4th in the East and probably win the first series because I think they are hungry for it. 

Agreed. Pelicans are better, OKC is better, Utah, Minnesota and Portland possibly and Denver looks dangerous....in the east we are a top 4 team....but not with the West. We improved a little but nothing showed me we would jump anyone ahead of us. Even Washington is still not far behind us. Good thing is you don't have to play all those West teams in the playoffs...just the East ones. I don't have the cap numbers in front of me but I think the Pacers will have over 54 million in available cap space (that's including a 10 million cap hold on Myles who we can then re-sign and go over the cap if necessary). We won't want to change up the whole team but I think a core of Victor, Myles, Sabonis, Mcbuckets, Joseph, Holiday. Maybe bring Young back on a short team friendly deal. We would have money to likely bring in one max contract and then re-sign our core guys and maybe bring in one more mid level guy like we got with Evans. I just hope we get another big time play maker to pair with Victor...he deserves that and not us just spreading the money around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Pelicans are better, OKC is better, Utah, Minnesota and Portland possibly and Denver looks dangerous....in the east we are a top 4 team....but not with the West. We improved a little but nothing showed me we would jump anyone ahead of us. Even Washington is still not far behind us. Good thing is you don't have to play all those West teams in the playoffs...just the East ones. I don't have the cap numbers in front of me but I think the Pacers will have over 54 million in available cap space (that's including a 10 million cap hold on Myles who we can then re-sign and go over the cap if necessary). We won't want to change up the whole team but I think a core of Victor, Myles, Sabonis, Mcbuckets, Joseph, Holiday. Maybe bring Young back on a short team friendly deal. We would have money to likely bring in one max contract and then re-sign our core guys and maybe bring in one more mid level guy like we got with Evans. I just hope we get another big time play maker to pair with Victor...he deserves that and not us just spreading the money around.

The 1 thing people in here aren't factoring in is, last season was the 1st season our Core players played together. Do you and others not think they would be better in season 2 even had they made no moves? I do just based off having more experience playing with each other. We added Evans who is a Good player as well. 

34 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

How the hell did the raptors land Leonard?!?

Dumb on Toronto's part. Leonard will be a Laker next year now because he doesn't want to be in Toronto at all. Magic is loving this because now the Lakers can just sign him next summer and they give up nobody. Lakers are going to be unbeatable in 19-2020. Mike Greenberg reporting Leonard is very unhappy with this. That may even mess with Toronto's Chemistry? So they traded DeRozan who had 3 years left on his contract for a 1 year rental. Toronto's window is this year and after that they are done. This helps us out after this season. No way he re-signs with Toronto. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1 thing people in here aren't factoring in is, last season was the 1st season our Core players played together. Do you and others not think they would be better in season 2 even had they made no moves?

I dont....We made moves and its good.....

..but its 50-50 that you automatically get better playing together...with no additions

.......There's a ceiling for teams you could reach that in your first try.

We needed help and we got some

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dumb on Toronto's part. Leonard will be a Laker next year now because he doesn't want to be in Toronto at all. Mike Greenberg reporting Leonard is very unhappy with this. That may even mess with Toronto's Chemistry? So they traded DeRozan who had 3 years left on his contract for a 1 year rental. Toronto's window is this year and after that they are done. This helps us out after this season. No way he re-signs with Toronto. 

Keep in mind........DeRozen makes $27 million dollars the next 3 years

Toronto got off that paycheck.....

They had to break up that team..we all said it.

I think its a good deal for both side....DeRozen fits with the Spurs

..and Toronto can got for it all all time...they just delayed the rebuild for one year

..and what we havent heard is 'the rest of the deal'

Jacob Poertl  to S.A.     he's just 23..solid

#1 pick to S.A....not sure which year    (TV and radio sorely lacking on details)

Danny Green (age 31) good player.....to Toronto

Upon further review?

Its a great deal for the Spurs.   and just OK for Toronto

Good deal for both sides.   Leonard may be unhappy now, but that could change.  Toronto is a pretty cool city.   Upgrade over San Antonio.   If he ends up liking his teammates and Toronto excels in the playoffs next year, it is possible he stays there.   Remember, no one thought PG would stay in OKC.   Everyone was convinced he was going to the Lakers.   People thought Cousins was staying put.   We will have to wait and see.   

The Raptors just made the East a solid 3 team race.   

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dumb on Toronto's part. Leonard will be a Laker next year now because he doesn't want to be in Toronto at all. Magic is loving this because now the Lakers can just sign him next summer and they give up nobody. Lakers are going to be unbeatable in 19-2020. Mike Greenberg reporting Leonard is very unhappy with this. That may even mess with Toronto's Chemistry? So they traded DeRozan who had 3 years left on his contract for a 1 year rental. Toronto's window is this year and after that they are done. This helps us out after this season. No way he re-signs with Toronto. 

I don't think Kawhi knows what he wants lol.  He's turning into a whiny little you know what!  I read he has no desire to play with LeBron either, he wants to be the man.  I am hearing LA Clippers which is ridiculous.  I guess we'll see soon enough.  If he doesn't commit long term to the Raptors (which he won't).  They need to trade him right before the all star break.  Dumb move by the Raptors.  Great move by the Spurs though, send him East, get an all star, decent bench player and pick in return.  DeRozan will fit well in SA.  They made the playoffs without Kawhi last year and they'll make the playoffs again this year. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 1 thing people in here aren't factoring in is, last season was the 1st season our Core players played together. Do you and others not think they would be better in season 2 even had they made no moves? I do just based off having more experience playing with each other. We added Evans who is a Good player as well. 

I do worry some. Thad is at an age where he could start falling off. Bogs played a lot better defense than was expected and that was his first full season as a starter. I think we got better...but the teams at the top are young and getting better too....especially in the West but Boston for sure will. I think Philly too. Toronto now with Leonard is a huge upgrade! I have to apologize to @oldunclemark because I said several months ago Toronto could never get Leonard for Derozan. That Toronto would stand pat with its players....I was definitely wrong....I didn't know the Leonard thing would blow up like it did....that was a train wreck. That said I'd say Spurs did the Spurs thing...get the best player they could get back...and will run out their team and make the playoffs like always. They could have blown things up but they choose to stay relevant!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everyone said the same thing with PG. Maybe its just Leonards camp that is upset. I haven't heard Kawhi say anything. He may be fine playing for them. Or...they may turn around and trade him to LA for a crap load of assets like Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma....just because SA didn't want to trade Leonard to a rival doesn't mean Toronto in a month won't be willing to do the same deal that SA turned down. So in essence they could be trading Derozan who struggled last post season for a bunch of young guys and some cap flexibility. It's way to early to know if this is a bad deal or not...on the surface sure...but we know after last year its not good to judge a book by its cover.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There's a lot that could change.  Paul George seemed adamant about going to LA, then re-signed in OKC.  Depending on how the Raptors do, he could re-sign.  I think the chances of him re-signing in Toronto would have been higher had they kept Casey as their head coach, but that's another issue.

I think Toronto's perspective is as follows.  They won nearly 60 games last year and were atop the Eastern Conference.  Now that LeBron is gone, they have a real shot at making the Finals.  If it works out for them, great.  Maybe they can even re-sign Leonard in what is actually a big market.  If it doesn't and he leaves after this year, they still have a majority of their young pieces in place and can rebuild or reset without DeRozan's contract holding them back.  I really don't like how DeRozan was told to his face that he wouldn't be traded and then he was, but there might be other details to that.  And if it's around January or February and the team is doing very poorly because of chemistry issues or whatever, they know Kawhi is fine playing for the Clippers or the Lakers, so perhaps they can start some sort of bidding war between those two franchises.

• Like 2

Raptor fan here. Love DD and I’m gonna miss him but I think our team saw it’s ceiling last season with this core. Leonard is an amazing player and we’ve never had a guy of that caliber before. But man. He doesn’t want to play here at all eh? Drake better get on that and convince this man to stay haha.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I heard Leonard doesn't want to play with lebron either tho 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I heard Leonard doesn't want to play with lebron either tho 

Like dg says;

Kawhi needs to decide what he does want to do....

Wont go to Canada...wont play with LBJ..wont play for Pop...

....wont play at all if his knee hurts....:thinking:

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I honestly usually do not watch much summer league games. Which pacers players showed out and who didn't?

Alize Johnson was our best player....

.....raw but......he always rebounds....every game

..and he's a former guard so he handles the ball well for a 6-foot-9 guy.

Lots of potential.

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

There's a lot that could change.  Paul George seemed adamant about going to LA, then re-signed in OKC.  Depending on how the Raptors do, he could re-sign.  I think the chances of him re-signing in Toronto would have been higher had they kept Casey as their head coach, but that's another issue.

I think Toronto's perspective is as follows.  They won nearly 60 games last year and were atop the Eastern Conference.  Now that LeBron is gone, they have a real shot at making the Finals.  If it works out for them, great.  Maybe they can even re-sign Leonard in what is actually a big market.  If it doesn't and he leaves after this year, they still have a majority of their young pieces in place and can rebuild or reset without DeRozan's contract holding them back.  I really don't like how DeRozan was told to his face that he wouldn't be traded and then he was, but there might be other details to that.  And if it's around January or February and the team is doing very poorly because of chemistry issues or whatever, they know Kawhi is fine playing for the Clippers or the Lakers, so perhaps they can start some sort of bidding war between those two franchises.

It's definitely a huge gamble on Toronto's part. It worked out for OKC with PG but this situation seems a bit different. PG nor his camp ever said he wasn't happy in OKC and he gets along with Russell Westbrook really well. He and Russ have great Chemistry and Russ is the perfect player for PG to play off the ball with. That factored in on PG's decision to stay. Maybe once Kawhi is there playing for a few months he will like it but 2 things in Toronto that aren't pleasant are the taxes and the winters. It's a beautiful city though.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a wait and see game, not sure what he wants but I have heard he doesn't want to be in Toronto by alot of ESPN reporters. That is all the Greenberg show talked about this morning.

Those guys are wrong quite often.  

I think he will be in Toronto for several years.     He seems to have a bit of an ego and he can be the king in Canada.   Huge marketing opportunity.  

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think he will be in Toronto for several years.     He seems to have a bit of an ego and he can be the king in Canada.   Huge marketing opportunity.  

They are often wrong but I don't see Leonard staying there. This isn't a Paul George situation. I would almost bet that Leonard will be a Laker next season. If he joins them next season, LA will be favored to win it all. The Warriors will 3-Peat IMO after that their run will come to an end. Kawhi's marketing opps in LA would be huge as well and the weather is great all year around.

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't know anything for sure about Kawhi Leonard.

If he doesn't like a heavy media spotlight, Toronto is a good place.

But if he didn't feel physically fit to play all last year and teammates were doubting him.

What if he doesn't feel fit in Toronto and new teammates doubting him. ?

And if his contract is up in 2009, his 'people' may tell him not to risk his  knee at all.

If he has a hunger to prove himself, this is the place but what if he doesn't?

20 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Lakers could be in the midst of a playoff push...you could very easily still get value trading him to pair up with Lebron and still get a valued asset or two. Any team might be willing to take on Leonard for a playoff push for a young asset or an injured player. A team could also trade for him because he is an expiring contract and maybe they want to get off a contract that Toronto may want. Maybe Denver or Utah wants to give up some young player or two to take a shot at the playoffs...maybe Minnesota. So many possibilities...and for Toronto a lot of options still available because if Kawhi shows he is back they can either go for it all this one year and try to bring him back for the most money or they can move him at the end for a little something or just let his money come off the books.

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Lakers could be in the midst of a playoff push...you could very easily still get value trading him to pair up with Lebron and still get a valued asset or two. Any team might be willing to take on Leonard for a playoff push for a young asset or an injured player. A team could also trade for him because he is an expiring contract and maybe they want to get off a contract that Toronto may want. Maybe Denver or Utah wants to give up some young player or two to take a shot at the playoffs...maybe Minnesota. So many possibilities...and for Toronto a lot of options still available because if Kawhi shows he is back they can either go for it all this one year and try to bring him back for the most money or they can move him at the end for a little something or just let his money come off the books.

I don't see Toronto trading him.   Since they are in the East, they would need to be especially bad to not be a playoff threat.  

• Like 1

Marcus Smart re-signs with Boston....4 years...$52 mil\

unless I'm mistaken that means that  Gordon Hayward, Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart are all under contract for the next 3 years..

Horford and Kyrie Irvng have one more year

Edited by oldunclemark

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Dennis Schroeder to OKC for Carmelo and a draft choice...

OKC is paying the cost to be the boss.

They wont be the boss.but they are paying the cost..

OKC will be better this season just by getting rid of Chemistry Wrecker. Roberson will be healthy and Schroeder is a Good player. That is a 50 win team.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 9:46 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a wait and see game, not sure what he wants but I have heard he doesn't want to be in Toronto by alot of ESPN reporters. That is all the Greenberg show talked about this morning.

I'm sure he dont wanna be there I dont blame him they always suck it up in the playoffs maybe he will consider us if he sees how much easier the east is and we have a good showing next year 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm sure he dont wanna be there I dont blame him they always suck it up in the playoffs maybe he will consider us if he sees how much easier the east is and we have a good showing next year 

Toronto is a very deep team. Maybe deepest 1-10 in the league. Got two of every position. 

PG: Lowry/Vanvleet

SG: D. Green/CJ Miles/Wright

SF: Leonard/Anunoby/Powell

PF: Ibaka/ Siakam

C: Valunciunis

Play small with Ibaka at center...have two really good pgs...nice wing defenders in Green, Leonard, and Anunoby....can shoot the three with Green, Miles, Lowry, Vanvleet etc....that's a very nice team if you ask me. It all hinges on Kawhi but if he wants to get paid next offseason he needs to play well. I think they finish first in the East again....anything can happen in the playoffs.