Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The New York Giants.......did very, very well///

 

They now have Saquan Barkley and Odell Beckham as offensive game breakers....Nobody has 2 like that

On the O-line along with Vollmer the free agent left tackle, they drafted Will Hernandez the 'giant' (excuse the pun)  left guard

They added OLB Lorenzo Carter and BJ Hill a good looking tackle..to an already good defense...

 

Get ready for a lot of good old New York hype.......somewhere Eli is smiling

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree. Barkely will be fun to watch but you don't take a RB #2 overall. In 5 years, he'll be among the highest paid RBs in the league and Giants will have no QB. Should have drafted Darnold/Rosen. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I disagree. Barkely will be fun to watch but you don't take a RB #2 overall. In 5 years, he'll be among the highest paid RBs in the league and Giants will have no QB. Should have drafted Darnold/Rosen. 

In 5 years, they may have won their division a couple of times, too.

Drafting a QB would be a waste when Eli is staying to play 2 more years (that's his contract)

 

I dont think the Giants are worrying about 3 years from now.  They want to make the playoffs next year.

That offense line went from the outhouse to the power house. I like it.

 

 

 

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I disagree. Barkely will be fun to watch but you don't take a RB #2 overall. In 5 years, he'll be among the highest paid RBs in the league and Giants will have no QB. Should have drafted Darnold/Rosen. 

I disagree. Neither Darnold or Rosen should have been drafted by the Giants. The Giants were 11-5  and in the playoffs 2 years ago. Injuries and poor coaching/personnel lead to a disastrous season. They were a 61 yd fg and a 4th down TD away from beating the Super Bowl champs twice last year. They still have a chance to compete. The Giants are better off developing Davis Webb and Kyle Lauletta behind Eli for a couple years and having Barkley, than wasting Eli's last years with a QB who isn't close to being a guaranteed franchise QB, and who may not be better than Webb or Lauletta

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Giants are in an excellent position to succeed right now. They have weapons everywhere on that offense, a solid defense that has a chance to be great, and Eli, a SB winning QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sracolts84 said:

I disagree. Neither Darnold or Rosen should have been drafted by the Giants. The Giants were 11-5  and in the playoffs 2 years ago. Injuries and poor coaching/personnel lead to a disastrous season. They were a 61 yd fg and a 4th down TD away from beating the Super Bowl champs twice last year. They still have a chance to compete. The Giants are better off developing Davis Webb and Kyle Lauletta behind Eli for a couple years and having Barkley, than wasting Eli's last years with a QB who isn't close to being a guaranteed franchise QB, and who may not be better than Webb or Lauletta

Eli is done. At best, he has 3 years left. After that, they'll be middling. Not good enough to win but not bad enough to get a top pick. Who knows when their next chance to take a QB could be. I'm pretty sure Rosen/Darnold are going to be a lot better than Webb or Lauletta. With Barkley and a top QB prospect, that team could do well.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

 

 

They now have Saquan Barkley and Odell Beckham as offensive game breakers....Nobody has 2 like that

 

I would take Brown and Bell over barkley and beckham

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I would take Brown and Bell over barkley and beckham

Pending seeing how good Barkley actually is...I would agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Eli is done. At best, he has 3 years left. After that, they'll be middling. Not good enough to win but not bad enough to get a top pick. Who knows when their next chance to take a QB could be. I'm pretty sure Rosen/Darnold are going to be a lot better than Webb or Lauletta. With Barkley and a top QB prospect, that team could do well.

Eli is not done. He can still play at a high level. He has had no decent OL or running game in years. And the coaching and GM the last few years, were putrid. And Eli has been durable. Now, with a competent HC and GM, you will see how good Eli still is. To me, the Giants wasted many of Eli's good years. Look at their drafts from 2009 to 2013. They were as bad as some of our recent one's.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Giants would have taken a QB if their former GM would have drafted Todd Gurley in 2015 rather than Ereck Flowers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Big Blue make a mistake not grabbing Sam Darnold when the Browns were dumb enough to go in another direction. Yes I know they got OB Kyle Lauletta

 

Nothing against Barkley, but the 2nd pick in the draft is asking a lot for a position that's been declining rapidly over the yrs. Not RBs themselves just where they are typically taken & the committee approach among scat backs & short yardage. grind it out goal line bulldozers. I get that screens & finding him in space against LBs could be effective but still. 

 

No real complaints over what the Giants did other then failing to take advantage of the gift Cleveland gave them. Sam would have been the best transition from Eli for the next decade. Backs come & go, but when the next face of the franchise falls in your lap from football heaven, you never say no thanks I'm good. 

 

Eli is declining. Does management think he's magically gonna win the division? Not with Philly they're not. So, that leaves the Wildcard spot at best. Not seeing it personally. Barkley will help sure, but I don't envision Barry Sanders 2.0 either. 

 

I like the G-Men & I'm not advocating for their demise or hard times. I just can see that Manning's skill set is more consistently down than up that's all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, southwest1 said:

I still think Big Blue make a mistake not grabbing Sam Darnold when the Browns were dumb enough to go in another direction. Yes I know they got OB Kyle Lauletta

 

Nothing against Barkley, but the 2nd pick in the draft is asking a lot for a position that's been declining rapidly over the yrs. Not RBs themselves just where they are typically taken & the committee approach among scat backs & short yardage. grind it out goal line bulldozers. I get that screens & finding him in space against LBs could be effective but still. 

 

No real complaints over what the Giants did other then failing to take advantage of the gift Cleveland gave them. Sam would have been the best transition from Eli for the next decade. Backs come & go, but when the next face of the franchise falls in your lap from football heaven, you never say no thanks I'm good. 

 

Eli is declining. Does management think he's magically gonna win the division? Not with Philly they're not. So, that leaves the Wildcard spot at best. Not seeing it personally. Barkley will help sure, but I don't envision Barry Sanders 2.0 either. 

 

I like the G-Men & I'm not advocating for their demise or hard times. I just can see that Manning's skill set is more consistently down than up that's all. 

SW..They may think they can make the playoffs....and that means they can win the Conference.

They really helped their O-line and they got  supposedly big -time running back..

 

You can draft a QB when  the need arises....you actually don't have to spend a high pick on a rookie and sit him....

To not pick up a player you plan to use immediately when you are 3-13....is not a popular strategy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 6:44 PM, IndyScribe said:

I disagree. Barkely will be fun to watch but you don't take a RB #2 overall. In 5 years, he'll be among the highest paid RBs in the league and Giants will have no QB. Should have drafted Darnold/Rosen. 

well if your going to reference when you should and should not be drafting certain positions, don't forget we took a Guard 6th overall, which in my mind is worse position value that a RB 2nd

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do they have to draft a QB for the future?  It's New York and when Eli is done, they can just sign a veteran free agent QB who can step right in and take over.  Makes more sense than waiting for a drafted QB to develop.  They had a chance at drafting an incredible RB and they did it.  If he pans out, then they'll look smart.  Yes, it's a gamble, but take advantage of having Eli now and surround him with weapons on offense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, Barry Sears said:

Why do they have to draft a QB for the future?  It's New York and when Eli is done, they can just sign a veteran free agent QB who can step right in and take over.

thats a good point, QBs are going to want to play with barkley and beckham 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For comparison:

 

Brett Favre was 36 years old the year the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers.

The Packers had one losing season in the 3 years with Favre before and after they drafted Rodgers.

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons behind Favre and hes now the best QB in the league.

 

Eli Manning is 36 years old.

The Giants have had one winning season in the last 4.

 

Based on records the Giants team now is much worse than the Packers team then. The 2005 Packers needed a QB much less than the 2017 Giants but they drafted one anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did good...forget all that drafting a quarterback drama like the Steelers are dealing with. Heck, that cancer even infected the bulletproof Pats. I say that even if Eli is done. It's not like the Giants are going to be the team that moves to London if they have a few bad years. Meanwhile I say Eli is not done. This is probably the best draft I've ever seen by a team with an older quarterback. I don't know why other teams don't...like...draft good for their quarterbacks. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, Mitch Connors said:

For comparison:

 

Brett Favre was 36 years old the year the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers.

The Packers had one losing season in the 3 years with Favre before and after they drafted Rodgers.

Rodgers sat for 3 seasons behind Favre and hes now the best QB in the league.

 

Eli Manning is 36 years old.

The Giants have had one winning season in the last 4.

 

Based on records the Giants team now is much worse than the Packers team then. The 2005 Packers needed a QB much less than the 2017 Giants but they drafted one anyways. 

You don't have to draft a QB and sit him a year or two.....You can but you dont have to

That's something that fans say.......

When Eli announces his retirement, the Giants can then draft another QB and play him...

 

..as for now....they badly needed linemen and running backs and they got them good ones

Edited by oldunclemark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 8:21 AM, jvan1973 said:

I would take Brown and Bell over barkley and beckham

Why?  They can't get past the Pats with that group..and have tried repeatedly,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Why?  They can't get past the Pats with that group..and have tried repeatedly,

 

That has nothing to do with the comparison.    Many teams have failed to beat the pats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Why?  They can't get past the Pats with that group..and have tried repeatedly,

 

 

Those two haven't been in full health in their games against the Pats, at least the last couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     NYGs vs. Cleveland..

Top two picks in the draft...on the field Thursday night

 

on the NFL Network

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not watching but I understand he has exactly 1 yard since. I realize they're probably not workhorsing him though.

 

On a busier forum that I visit there is this Saquon Barkley troll that is right up there with these Brady trolls and he's had him in Canton since the draft, and after that run he'll probably start working on the bronze head. Meanwhile his 2nd favorite is Lamar Jacskon who didn't exactly light it up the other day but he says he ended the game in the victory formation. The trolls are already in midseason form lol!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I'm not watching but I understand he has exactly 1 yard since. I realize they're probably workhorsing him though.

 

they pulled him after 5 carries.   the browns were run blitzing him after the first too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, aaron11 said:

they pulled him after 5 carries.   the browns were run blitzing him after the first too 

 

They had 8 in the box on the first carry and he still popped it. One missed tackle and it's over because there's no depth to the defense. 

 

They had 9 in the box the next time he was on the field. Browns never learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

They had 8 in the box on the first carry and he still popped it. One missed tackle and it's over because there's no depth to the defense. 

 

They had 9 in the box the next time he was on the field. Browns never learn. 

Huh?

 

Barkley hit 39 yards on the first carry.   He got 4 more total yards in 4 more carries.    

 

Seems the Browns learned pretty well.

 

What am I not understanding here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching the game Barkley just seems to be another Ahmad Bradshaw 2.0 minus the injures. however if he ever gets nicked up the giants back field is in trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

After watching the game Barkley just seems to be another Ahmad Bradshaw 2.0 minus the injures. however if he ever gets nicked up the giants back field is in trouble

After watching one game, I wouldnt make that judgment...….He gives no reason to believe he isn't pretty good

….I'd guess he's probably going to be better than Ahmad Bradshaw..who had a couple of 1,000-yard seas0ns...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

 

Barkley hit 39 yards on the first carry.   He got 4 more total yards in 4 more carries.    

 

Seems the Browns learned pretty well.

 

What am I not understanding here?

 

 

I don’t know if you watched any of the game or not, but the Giants OL was pretty awful, across the board. 

 

My point is that the Browns sacrificed sound defensive positioning to stack the box. It worked for a few plays, but you shouldn’t have to put 9 guys in the box to stop the run, especially when your opponent can’t block. The big Barkley play happened primarily because they had no depth to their defense.

 

I was also being a little snarky about the Browns. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Browns will win as many games as the Giants this year.

are we sure the Browns will win any games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were the Browns I'd live and die by the blitz. They don't have the athletes to match up with everybody at every position and Big Ben and the other 2 QBs on a good day will find whatever's there every play against a base defense. Of course they don't have the coaching to win if they had the athletes to match up. Idk...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.