Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In Summary...

P'Son

How in God’s name do any of us know how this will work out?

There are still UDFAs available, let alone players cut by other teams before September. 

We really won’t know how good this draft was until September......,,of 2019 or 2020.

I’m in a wait and see mood.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think what the colts did was actually quite clever. Their building with players that either have a lot of speed or are tough and physical even going back to last year. 

I'm with you and yes it was offensive heavy and we didn't get a cornerback. But I like it and our offense is dramatically better now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

How in God’s name do any of us know how this will work out?

There are still UDFAs available, let alone players cut by other teams before September. 

We really won’t know how good this draft was until September......,,of 2019 or 2020.

I’m in a wait and see mood.

I know that what I've been saying since the draft started. 

I am pretty happy with it.  On paper they addressed several areas of need with oline and pass rusher (maybe the Colts two biggest weaknesses) being the primary focus of day one and two.  They may have gotten the best two guards in the draft so that’s good.

From there they added two WRs, probably not a franchise guy in there but they have TY for that.  These guys could still be solid players and will have the chance to compete for up to the number two spot.

They added two backs and you can find starters at running back later in the draft.  They added another homerun hitter to go along with Mack so they can hopefully keep them fresh.  The other back seems to be a more physical back that will wear down the defense for the homerun guys.

The other position they focused on was linebacker.  One who can drop back in coverage which is something the Colts have lacked for years (how many tight ends have killed the Colts in the past three years or so).  Then the others with late picks, Given Walker going later last year I wouldn’t be shocked if Ballard thinks they can get starters at linebacker later in the draft.  

Other than corner they really hit their major areas of need.  I am happy with this draft on paper.  Now the real test seeing how it translates to the field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

You can't take grades on players, especially on the defensive side of the ball because they are bland.....the teams don't release thier grades due to scheme. 

Come on, let go of ego and realize that scouts, coaches, player personnel, asst GMs and the GM all watch extensive tape to find the right fit for what they are looking for!

Jeezush it's not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

My friend, if this were true, there would have been no Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russells or Tim Couch. This is a forum and thrives on differing opinions.

History shows that about 50% of the top 10 picks are successful and only about 40% of the first round in total is successful. So yes, there will be cases where informed fans hit on just as many picks as GMs and scouts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will not grade individual players, because they haven't played yet. However, the approach is worth discussing. 

I feel that it was pretty commonly agreed that our shallowest position was the LB corps, and our worst performing, was pressure athletes on D and the oline (whether scheme, injuries, play calling, or individual play). We get the top two or perhaps 2 of the top 3 guards in the draft. After the top 3, it is said the talent fell off, so CB did well by pouncing when he could. I also feel that the need to snag those guards, took us out of what the team must have felt was top LB's, and edge guys. From there, I think he really went BPA. 

I like how he turned a 3 pick into so much talent. It may turn out to be one of the best GM moves this team has seen on draft day. I like how fast the players are, how many were captains, and how much attitude they have without being devoid of good character. 

For me at a glance? The approach and position choices deserves an A rating

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blueblazes said:

My friend, if this were true, there would have been no Ryan Leafs, Jamarcus Russells or Tim Couch. This is a forum and thrives on differing opinions.

History shows that about 50% of the top 10 picks are successful and only about 40% of the first round in total is successful. So yes, there will be cases where informed fans hit on just as many picks as GMs and scouts. 

Except those "informed" fans are typically working off the opinions of others, or publications and thier particular draft grades......they haven't broken down film, or visited coaches/families/friends, they haven't spoken with them or worked them out....

It's all good, those of you that want to act as if you could do a better job can continue to act that way.

I do like prognosticating, it's fun, but I don't get butthurt and whine about the GM if my favorite players aren't selected.....and that is what you see A LOT on here!

• Like 2

I like it. We add 2 nasty G's to the OL the weakest spot on offense. I like the size and potential of Fountain and Cain at WR plus the UDFA Ishmael. RB Hines has return experience with 3 tds on his resume with that 4.38 speed. Wilkins looks like he could earn carries in the backfield. We should have a NFL caliber offensive line with some depth and that's the biggest thing. 

The D biggest hole on D was at LB so we add 3 in the draft including Leonard and Franklin plus UDFA Moore. We got some pass rush help too I really like Turay. We added speed all over the field just as Ballard said we would and created competition. I like what Ballard is doing can't wait to see these guys padded up. That's when we will really see what we have. 

I think we picked some intriguing fast, strong athletes with apparently good character in the later rounds. Is it 3 or 4 team captains we've drafted? I like that aspect.

I can't get excited about many of the day 2 picks though. All of them look like the type of guys you'd be impressed with if they just became adequate starters. Think we needed a bit more upside than that.

I'm also one of the people who thought Nelson is going to be a fine player but 6 was just too rich for that position IMO.

Overall it's tough to grade without coming across too negative. Some of the guys will have the potential to develop and outperform their draft spot/initial expectations. If they don't though it wouldn't surprise me if we are drafting top 10 again next year.

15 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I also feel that the need to snag those guards, took us out of what the team must have felt was top LB's, and edge guys. From there, I think he really went BPA. 

From an article posted this morning....

"We were thinking about the fronts, and when we squeezed the blood out of the turnip, let’s go and pick the best guy available at each round."

That is what I felt happened.