Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Henry Anderson Traded To Jets

Case

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

See I find that just ridiculous.

A fun stuffer is a run stuffer.  Whether in a 3-4 or a 4-3.  Compare teams that play those styles.  The interior lineman are all basically the same

The point is, even knowing that, Anderson lost weight and was going to do his best to fit into the new scheme.  They didn't even give him a chance.  

Your paragraph about run stuffers is literally 100 percent false.   Completely wrong.    

The schemes are different...

The responsibilities are different...

The players are different...   their bodies are different...    

Most players can not play in either defense...   it's one or the other.   Some can, but not many.   Players who can are more the exception to the rule.  They are not normal.

You're fighting a losing fight here.... 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your paragraph about run stuffers is literally 100 percent false.   Completely wrong.    

The schemes are different...

The responsibilities are different...

The players are different...   their bodies are different...    

Most players can not play in either defense...   it's one or the other.   Some can, but not many.   Players who can are more the exception to the rule.  They are not normal.

You're fighting a losing fight here.... 

What your saying is generally true, but I think Henry has the ability to play both!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

What your saying is generally true, but I think Henry has the ability to play both!

I don't know why you think that...?

Henry's game is not about being fast or athletic or twitchy...   speed is not his game...   that's what Ballard is trying to create...

He's a classic 3-4 DL...   tall with long arms to hold off the OL so the linebackers can make the play...     that's Henry...

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why you think that...?

Henry's game is not about being fast or athletic or twitchy...   speed is not his game...   that's what Ballard is trying to create...

He's a classic 3-4 DL...   tall with long arms to hold off the OL so the linebackers can make the play...     that's Henry...

He has speed for his size and was slimming down, and can rush the passer could make in IMO an adequate DT.

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

That’s not even remotely true. There were scores of people against that trade from the minute it was announced.

Yup I HATED IT!! Total over reaction by Grigson!!

10 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

He has speed for his size and was slimming down, and can rush the passer could make in IMO an adequate DT.

His speed is relative...   he has decent speed for his size as a player in a 3-4...

But for a 4-3 predicated on speed...  he's a liability.  That's, in part, why we only got a 7th round pick.    If he was what you think he is he'd either still be with the Colts or we would have gotten a better offer for him...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

His speed is relative...   he has decent speed for his size as a player in a 3-4...

But for a 4-3 predicated on speed...  he's a liability.  That's, in part, why we only got a 7th round pick.    If he was what you think he is he'd either still be with the Colts or we would have gotten a better offer for him...

I agree to disagree!!!!

3 hours ago, masterlock said:

I really don't understand all the "wasn't a good fit for the new scheme" comments. He was an athletic lineman who had dropped weight to become even more athletic. The 4-3 scheme depends on athletic linemen to penetrate. I also think cutting Hankins was a bad move. I think he could have been very disruptive in the new scheme. 

Ballard's questionable moves:

• Not resigning Rashan Melvin
  • Cutting Hankins
  • Trading Anderson for a god-forsaken 7th rounder

He blames scheme fit then drafts Turay who is a 3-4 DE lol. Also we got Hankins from Giants were he was in a 4-3 D but for some reason he can't do that in Indy??? Something is stinking here, I think players are wanting out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i wonder if simon is on the trade block too.  he is ballards guy though while HA wasnt

i liked anderson, but he was a questionable scheme fit at best 

what about Hunt? he is a Ballard guy but he would not seem to fit either

1 hour ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

He blames scheme fit then drafts Turay who is a 3-4 DE lol. Also we got Hankins from Giants were he was in a 4-3 D but for some reason he can't do that in Indy??? Something is stinking here, I think players are wanting out. 

Turay was a 3-4 OLB, he will be a DE for us, much like the move Simon is making from the 3-4 for us.

24 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

Turay was a 3-4 OLB, he will be a DE for us, much like the move Simon is making from the 3-4 for us.

Simon played DE/SAM at OSU in their 4-3...

Plus Turay is far more valuable as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB considering his skill as a pass rusher (check out the tape, man has some serious skill, just hasn't put it all together yet). Turay has little value or experience as a player falling back into coverage as he would have had to at a 3-4 OLB.

Imo, Turay reminds me of Robert Quinn circa the pot and DV abuse allegations. Violent hands, great bend, and loose limbs. Needs to bulk a little bit more but we might have something special with him.

4 minutes ago, #7ForDays said:

Simon played DE/SAM at OSU in their 4-3...

Plus Turay is far more valuable as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB considering his skill as a pass rusher (check out the tape, man has some serious skill, just hasn't put it all together yet). Turay has little value or experience as a player falling back into coverage as he would have had to at a 3-4 OLB.

Imo, Turay reminds me of Robert Quinn circa the pot and DV abuse allegations. Violent hands, great bend, and loose limbs. Needs to bulk a little bit more but we might have something special with him.

I agree, I think we might have something special there, in fact, a lot of these draft picks felt like Polian was back at the helm, and that is meant as a great compliment.  I think he would have replaced one WR and RB with 2 CB's if he was doing the draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluesmith said:

I agree, I think we might have something special there, in fact, a lot of these draft picks felt like Polian was back at the helm, and that is meant as a great compliment.  I think he would have replaced one WR and RB with 2 CB's if he was doing the draft.

Wasn't a great CB draft tbh. Aside from Minkah, there wasn't any other A-tier talent (no, Denzel was extremely overrated and over drafted). Even the depth was somewhat shallow, and most was plundered by the 4th round. The guys we picked up as UDFAs, imo, have the same talent as the ones drafted in Rounds 5-7. 

Sports Illustrated gave the Colts an overall grade of a c-.  Lowest I saw of any team.

Considering the amount of draft picks the team had?  

To me it is inexcusable to be getting a grade that low.  And yes I know that it is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.  But they are among many who think Ballard way over reached with many of his picks.

And then to trade Anderson?  On top of a middling draft last year and a 2 free agent classes of....I don't know....just guys?

Ballard imo has been disappointment so far.  A big one.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Sports Illustrated gave the Colts an overall grade of a c-.  Lowest I saw of any team.

To me it is inexcusable to be getting a grade that low.  And yes I know that it is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.  But they are among many who think Ballard way over reached with many of his picks.

And then to trade Anderson?  On top of a middling draft last year and a 2 free agent classes of....I don't know....just guys?

NFL.com rated the draft a A- 

7 hours ago, masterlock said:

I really don't understand all the "wasn't a good fit for the new scheme" comments. He was an athletic lineman who had dropped weight to become even more athletic. The 4-3 scheme depends on athletic linemen to penetrate. I also think cutting Hankins was a bad move. I think he could have been very disruptive in the new scheme. 

Ballard's questionable moves:

• Not resigning Rashan Melvin
  • Cutting Hankins
  • Trading Anderson for a god-forsaken 7th rounder

I favored resigning Melvin...   but I don't think Melvin gave the Colts a chance to match or exceed his offer.   He decided he wanted to play for Oakland and he left.

Hankins liked playing in a 3-4. Didn't want to play in a 4-3.   We tried to trade him for weeks and found no takers.   We faced a deadline to pay a $4.5 million roster bonus.   We'd have gladly paid that if we were still in a 3-4.   But not in a defense the guy doesn't want to be in.  The cut is completely understandable.

A God-forsaken 7th rounder is all we could get for Henry.   Best offer.   Ballard loves the kid.   Said so today,  but he doesn't fit a 4-3 defense based on speed.   I made roughly a half dozen posts predicting Henry would be traded on Day 3 of the draft.  This wasn't hard to see coming.

Ballard is hugely respected in the NFL.  Great reputation.  The only place where people hold him in such contempt is right here --- the loyal fan base.   Ugh!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Heck should have traded him to dallas for Switzer. since they traded him to oakland for someone who hasn't done anything worth talking about. at least it would give us decent slot receiver and special teams guy

He wouldn’t fit in Dallas’s scheme either (Anderson)

29 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

NFL.com rated the draft a A- 

And Kiper gave it a B-plus..    that surprised me...   Kiper was very unimpressed with our Day 2 efforts.  Today, after a day of reflection it appears Mel sees the bigger picture and seemed far more accepting. 

Good to see cooler,  more resonable minds understanding what we're trying to do...

I loved Anderson.  I hope he is awesome for the Bills.  At the same time, I'm exited about a faster defense.  No more clunky linebackers struggling in space, and waves of fast defenders attacking the gaps.  For those who question a drastic scheme change, it is not like we were a piece away from making the 3-4 work.  Now was the perfect time to make the switch.  Overall, I felt this draft was offense heavy, and with our picks the Oline got nastier, our running backs got faster, and we increased our speed overall.  I'm going to like a faster offense and defense.  We will be more aggressive on both sides.  Best of luck to you Henry.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

People who understand the NFL know you don't judge a draft after one year.   The standard rule is to wait three years.

Who else are "the many"?  Seriously who?    ESPN,  NFL.com, PFF all gave Ballard good grades.   So who else voiced disapproval?    Seems to me "the many" are just frustrated, disappointed fans.  

Yawn....

39 minutes ago, krunk said:

Loved the draft personally. It took me a small minute to shift my thinking, but once I did I was all the way on board.

Same, I had to watch the day 2 presser to figure out Ballard's thinking behind it, but I completely understand, and Day 3 sealed the deal, especially with the RBs and WRs. Very happy with them. 

13 hours ago, Trueman said:

Oh, I know... people have a terrific ability to utilize hyperbolic revisionist history to support an argument.

When I heard about the trade I thought :

One, why did we trade a 1st for a RB?

Two, why did we sacrifice a great asset for a skill position when our lines were poor?

Three, Trent’s vision was horrendous as a rookie in Cleveland too. Look at what Jim Brown said about him. Why would they want to move on from a 3rd overall selection if he was such a stud?

Grigson’s scouting abilities have been brutally criticized by people in the NFL , and he showed why countless times. Not to mention his flawed approach towards team building.

Don’t tell me “Trent failed Grigson”. That’s beyond dumb.

Ha. I remember picking at a good friend of mine who is a Browns fan after this trade. We went into cleveland that year and won a close and tough game. I told him before to not be mad when Trent jumped up into the Dawg Pound... his comment back was that Trent couldn't jump high enough to get there. And he was serious. Thought that we were asinine for giving away our 1st round for him.

6 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

I loved Anderson.  I hope he is awesome for the Bills.  At the same time, I'm exited about a faster defense.  No more clunky linebackers struggling in space, and waves of fast defenders attacking the gaps.  For those who question a drastic scheme change, it is not like we were a piece away from making the 3-4 work.  Now was the perfect time to make the switch.  Overall, I felt this draft was offense heavy, and with our picks the Oline got nastier, our running backs got faster, and we increased our speed overall.  I'm going to like a faster offense and defense.  We will be more aggressive on both sides.  Best of luck to you Henry.

Anderson went to Jets Lol.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I favored resigning Melvin...   but I don't think Melvin gave the Colts a chance to match or exceed his offer.   He decided he wanted to play for Oakland and he left.

Hankins liked playing in a 3-4. Didn't want to play in a 4-3.   We tried to trade him for weeks and found no takers.   We faced a deadline to pay a $4.5 million roster bonus.   We'd have gladly paid that if we were still in a 3-4.   But not in a defense the guy doesn't want to be in.  The cut is completely understandable.

A God-forsaken 7th rounder is all we could get for Henry.   Best offer.   Ballard loves the kid.   Said so today,  but he doesn't fit a 4-3 defense based on speed.   I made roughly a half dozen posts predicting Henry would be traded on Day 3 of the draft.  This wasn't hard to see coming.

Ballard is hugely respected in the NFL.  Great reputation.  The only place where people hold him in such contempt is right here --- the loyal fan base.   Ugh!

Anderson also was an injury issue throughout his three year career in Indy.  He ended each season on the IR and only played in 29 out of a possible 48 regular season games.  Ballard made a good deal to get the 7th for a player that didn't fit the new scheme and has an extensive injury history.

• Like 1

Trading a good player for a 7th round pick because he "doesn't fit our scheme" is unacceptable IMO.  

That's a bad excuse and I hope Ballard is lying about why he traded him.   

I like Ballard a lot and I will reserve my judgement on his draft picks for a few years. Nelson will most likely be a stud though. 

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I said this when Ballard come in. Don't pencil any of the guys he drafted in and don't be surprised if Ballards guts the roster of all his picks except for Hilton and Doyle. Henry Anderson wasn't a scheme fit and he didn't draft him. Not a bad move to get something for a player likely to be cut and was in a contract year. I love that Ballard is a completely different GM than Grigson. He isn't married to anyone, including the guys he brings in.

Moncrief might still be here if he stsyed healthy and produced

2 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Trading a good player for a 7th round pick because he "doesn't fit our scheme" is unacceptable IMO.  

That's a bad excuse and I hope Ballard is lying about why he traded him.   

I like Ballard a lot and I will reserve my judgement on his draft picks for a few years. Nelson will most likely be a stud though. 

"I hope he's lying...".   ???   WTH?!?

When did trading a player because of a scheme change become unacceptable?    It happens all the time.....

Its a natural part of football....    what's the problem?

This may be a case of us fans overrating one of our own players. If Ballard got a better offer for HA, I'm sure he would have taken it. Doubt he'd be like "NO, DON'T WANT A 4-5TH ROUNDER FOR HIM, WANT YOUR 7TH ROUNDER!!!"

He had a few good games in 2015, but really fell off in 2016-2017. And has become injury prone. If they knew he was not going to be re-resigned, no harm in trading him. Not to mention he'll be a FA after this season anyways; worst case scenario, we can always sign him back at a low cost next offseason.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Kiper gave it a B-plus..    that surprised me...   Kiper was very unimpressed with our Day 2 efforts.  Today, after a day of reflection it appears Mel sees the bigger picture and seemed far more accepting. 

Good to see cooler,  more resonable minds understanding what we're trying to do...

yeah the only thing I did not agree with was not taking a CB in the draft. we are pretty thin there. 

• Like 1