Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Ole Miss RB Jordan Wilkins [Merge]

MTC

I don't think it's possible after all cuts have been made that there won't be at least one veteran back on this squad. One of Matt Jones, Michael, or Robert Turbin will make the team.  I just doubt very seriously that we leave just young guys back there blocking for Luck.   I don't see it.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think it's possible after all cuts have been made that there won't be at least one veteran back on this squad. One of Matt Jones, Michael, or Robert Turbin will make the team.  I just doubt very seriously that we leave just young guys back there blocking for Luck.   I don't see it.

I saw a pass-protection rep by Wilkins where he identified the blitzer from the outside, gave signal for his QB and took on the protection replacing the LT... very nice recognition and poise to execute the block:

I haven't watched enough to know if he's consistently great like this in pass-protection, but it seems like he could be. My point is... by end of pre-season IMO the coaching staff will know how good he is and whether he can take on those assignments or they will need some of the vets. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 2:31 PM, MarquisJ said:

We resigned Robert Turbin hard to see us keeping 4 backs kinda seems like the odd one out 

I think it will be Wilkins, Mack, and Turbin as our main 3. Hynes is a unique back however, not strictly a RB. He provides us with an option in the slot ( he is an ex-WR) and can play special teams returning kickoffs. So while he’s a 4th RB, he’s also a 4(or 5th) WR, kick returner, special teamer. I’d be perfectly fine with him suiting up with the other 3 on game day if he’s a valuable contributor, which I think he will be. 

17 hours ago, akcolt said:

Why would anyone assume the two draft picks are making the team?  No one is safe Ballard showed that last season with Banner. Its going to be a fight to make this team at RB period. That's what Ballard wants and preaches. The changes in staff and system make predictions difficult. You'd think that Reich had input on the RB selections so maybe the draft picks have that. If they get outplayed this summer I don't think being a day 3 selection matters. 

There will be battles all over camp. It should make for a fun summer and a hungry roster. 

It'll be fun for sure. 

I assume both rookie backs will make the 53 because of the skillset they bring to the table. Hines brings everything Mack does except he's also a better receiver and from the tape, he looks to be a better blocker (not perfect). He's faster than Mack, and more shifty. Mack beats him at two things, size and experience.

Wilkins hasn't played a snap in the league yet either but he looks a more rounded RB than Mack. 

It'll be a serious slug for the RBBC positions and I think the running game will be the better for it. I can see Wilkins getting more snaps than the others though. He offers a more rounded toolbox.

48 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I think it will be Wilkins, Mack, and Turbin as our main 3. Hynes is a unique back however, not strictly a RB. He provides us with an option in the slot ( he is an ex-WR) and can play special teams returning kickoffs. So while he’s a 4th RB, he’s also a 4(or 5th) WR, kick returner, special teamer. I’d be perfectly fine with him suiting up with the other 3 on game day if he’s a valuable contributor, which I think he will be. 

Your high i rather have hines cuz he can run the outside and can run between the tackles he is only a lil lighter then wilkins i think dont mean anything leveon bell is short like hines js

1 hour ago, Indy1996 said:

Your high i rather have hines cuz he can run the outside and can run between the tackles he is only a lil lighter then wilkins i think dont mean anything leveon bell is short like hines js

While Hines is a really good speed back, I always believed that while speed kills, so does being able to break a tackle and make someone miss, which is what Wilkins does. Hines is like Mack, but far more versatile since he can play WR in the slot. Wilkins vision is better too, he just can’t pass block worth a rats rear end. 

22 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

If the team carries 4 RBs, and we assume the two draft picks are making the team, as well as one short yardage back (Turbin) then that leaves one spot to fight over, and I think Mack would have a fight on his hands with Matt Jones who offers a skillset that Mack can't match. (I'm discounting Ferguson, and Michael and Deji Karim but they'll fight for that spot too)

Unless of course, four RBs make the roster, and Hines makes the team as a fifth RB whose primary role is as the KR/PR who doubles as WR/RB which is a possibility.

It'll be a fight for Mack, he may not have gotten as many chances as we'd all have liked last year but as much as he showed a lot of great qualities, he also showed some traits that were troubling. Traits that he needs to improve or his time will be up faster than we'd like.

Jones fumbles more than mack

2 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

What are YOU smoking? Hines is 20 lbs lighter than Wilkins. Also Bell is like 6' 1" or around there. Hines is 5' 8". 

37 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Wilkins is 216 based off his NFL.com scouting report. Either way, an 18 lbs difference is huge. 

Ok doesnt matter wilkins isnt better then hines tbh hines is alot better then wilkins anyway lol wilkins dop so many passes this season tbh

17 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

Ok doesnt matter wilkins isnt better then hines tbh hines is alot better then wilkins anyway lol wilkins dop so many passes this season tbh

You're a special type of lost. No use in debating with you.