Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Ole Miss RB Jordan Wilkins [Merge]

MTC

27 minutes ago, icf said:

Two RB???

Thats, um, interesting......

i think it makes sense.  we just invested in two guards, and we didnt have much at running back.

no offense to mack, but he hasnt done nearly enough to show he is ready for a big carry load 

Just now, polk_high_allstar said:

also lost two good ones in Davis and Melvin.

yea thats why it took davis forever to find a team and at the end went to the bills on a one year deal. melvin had one good season. that is not worth 8 mil or whatever he got paid.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Looking at his highlights, he plays the position like someone that knows how.  Meaning, he's not a scat back nor a big pounder.  Seems like he knows when to initiate contact and when to avoid it, knows when to bounce and knows when to stuff it. He can catch and has decent speed,  I like his highlight package.  Hopefully everyone starts to settle down, we're getting some real nice pieces late!  I really like this draft!

Hopefully he's like another 5th round Colt's pic...Vic Ballard...

Anyone else notice how much more comfortable he looks carrying with his left hanf versus his right?

On outside runs to the right side of the field, he has that tendency to still carry with his left. Poor habit they will have to coach out of him.

Otherwise, great pick. Smooth runner, takes hits, gives them out as well. Good agility and quickness.

Reminds of a young Arian Foster. Not as quick laterally but similar running style.

31 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

His NFL.com analysis sounds a lot like Donald Brown to me.

Funny while watching his video I thought to myself that he reminded me of a much more physical Donald Brown.  But it may be his physical appearance more than anything.  He favors him a lot in my opinion.  

5 hours ago, #7ForDays said:

Anyone else notice how much more comfortable he looks carrying with his left hanf versus his right?

On outside runs to the right side of the field, he has that tendency to still carry with his left. Poor habit they will have to coach out of him.

Otherwise, great pick. Smooth runner, takes hits, gives them out as well. Good agility and quickness.

Reminds of a young Arian Foster. Not as quick laterally but similar running style.

Arian Foster is who I thought of as well. Upright running style but has active feet and is excellent at using subtle movements to shake defenders. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like this crew of runners we have between Mack, Hines, Wilkins, and Matt Jones. I dont think we will keep Turbin and Michael but who knows. I still love how useful Turbin is in short yardage.

I think we keep Turbin. He's a really good short down back. If anyone is cut, it'll be Michael. 

He has a smooth style with good vision, thus the Forte, Bell and Foster comparisons,  I see that too.  With our previous Oline, he might not have faired well, but if we get running lanes at all this year, his style could be really interesting. Vision is everything in a back. 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how our backfield shakes out. It's hard to ignore Wilkins 100 yard game vs Bama and the 7 ypc v SEC teams. I'm not sure how well he blocks back there and that's a skill that's sure to be key in playing time. 

56 minutes ago, krunk said:

Matt Forte is a good comparison.

yeah if he turns out like Forte he'd be the bell cow and get the lion share of the carries. When Forte was drafted by the bears the only knock on him was health. If he's as good as Forte in pass protection he will play early and often.

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

He has a smooth style with good vision, thus the Forte, Bell and Foster comparisons,  I see that too.  With our previous Oline, he might not have faired well, but if we get running lanes at all this year, his style could be really interesting. Vision is everything in a back. 

I agree. vision is everything, and this guy is elusive as hell too! 7.1 ypc in sec with a average o line. Smooth pass catcher, I like this pick. Like people have mentioned before, shades of foster/forte.

Just like I was thinking:

Ballard on Wilkins: “Jordan Wilkins is an interesting runner. I don’t ever want to put names, but his run style reminded me a lot of Matt Forte. We thought he had as good a vision as any back in the draft. He had an injury that sidelined him at one point, but he’s healthy.’’

http://fox59.com/2018/04/29/heres-a-capsule-look-at-who-the-colts-gained-in-the-nfl-draft/

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Mack is on notice too.

Sort of but not really.  He's a complement to Macks running style.

We are a RBBC team so you need different styles.  I really really

love our backfield this year. We can hit you all kinds of ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Sort of but not really.  He's a complement to Macks running style.

We are a RBBC team so you need different styles.  I really really

love our backfield this year. We can hit you all kinds of ways.

Wilkins is more of a between the tackles guy who has some finesse to his game. And he’s a bigger back

Mack is a jack of all trades but is an outside slasher with breakaway speed.

Hines is an explosive scat back who can return punts/kicks, line up in the slot, or take it to the house. Darren Sproles or Tarik Cohen are good comps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Mack will flourish in Reich's system. He is safe.

The thing is....we don't know what Reich's system is. We have no idea until we actually see it so projecting that Mack will flourish is a hard sell for me. He needs to add more to his game (less wasted runs/negative runs, better catching and blocking, better inside runs) or I can see him being behind the two guys who were drafted. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The thing is....we don't know what Reich's system is. We have no idea until we actually see it so projecting that Mack will flourish is a hard sell for me. He needs to add more to his game (less wasted runs/negative runs, better catching and blocking, better inside runs) or I can see him being behind the two guys who were drafted. 

I truly hope the drafted guys are more well rounded and push him down

the depth chart. Reich will work to his strengths and call plays to get him 

in space. He has too much big play potential to be cut and will get his

touches every game.

8 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I truly hope the drafted guys are more well rounded and push him down

the depth chart. Reich will work to his strengths and call plays to get him 

in space. He has too much big play potential to be cut and will get his

touches every game.

If the team carries 4 RBs, and we assume the two draft picks are making the team, as well as one short yardage back (Turbin) then that leaves one spot to fight over, and I think Mack would have a fight on his hands with Matt Jones who offers a skillset that Mack can't match. (I'm discounting Ferguson, and Michael and Deji Karim but they'll fight for that spot too)

Unless of course, four RBs make the roster, and Hines makes the team as a fifth RB whose primary role is as the KR/PR who doubles as WR/RB which is a possibility.

It'll be a fight for Mack, he may not have gotten as many chances as we'd all have liked last year but as much as he showed a lot of great qualities, he also showed some traits that were troubling. Traits that he needs to improve or his time will be up faster than we'd like.

13 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If the team carries 4 RBs, and we assume the two draft picks are making the team, as well as one short yardage back (Turbin) then that leaves one spot to fight over, and I think Mack would have a fight on his hands with Matt Jones who offers a skillset that Mack can't match. (I'm discounting Ferguson, and Michael and Deji Karim but they'll fight for that spot too)

Unless of course, four RBs make the roster, and Hines makes the team as a fifth RB whose primary role is as the KR/PR who doubles as WR/RB which is a possibility.

It'll be a fight for Mack, he may not have gotten as many chances as we'd all have liked last year but as much as he showed a lot of great qualities, he also showed some traits that were troubling. Traits that he needs to improve or his time will be up faster than we'd like.

If anything Turbin will have to battle Jones. Mack is safe

11 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

If anything Turbin will have to battle Jones. Mack is safe

Mack isnt safe for nothing he has to battle wilkins for the starting job most likely cuz remember mack had a terrible rockie year he drop so many passes barely could block wilkins has all the tools he like another image of Leveon bell tbh 

• Confused 1

Didn't know much about this guy so I watched the highlight video.  What stands out to me about him is his vision.  He seems to have a knack for choosing the right lanes and juking guys a lot.  And that jump over a defender and landing on his feet and regaining full stride was pretty impressive.  Hopefully he works out.

Bold prediction: This guy is gonna have the most carries of our backs this year. That vision and understanding of angles is unreal. He glides like Bell and Foster. If Vic Ballard can come in as a late round rookie and lead our RBs in carries, so can Wilkins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Why would anyone assume the two draft picks are making the team?  No one is safe Ballard showed that last season with Banner. Its going to be a fight to make this team at RB period. That's what Ballard wants and preaches. The changes in staff and system make predictions difficult. You'd think that Reich had input on the RB selections so maybe the draft picks have that. If they get outplayed this summer I don't think being a day 3 selection matters. 

There will be battles all over camp. It should make for a fun summer and a hungry roster. 

22 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Why would anyone assume the two draft picks are making the team?  No one is safe Ballard showed that last season with Banner. Its going to be a fight to make this team at RB period. That's what Ballard wants and preaches. The changes in staff and system make predictions difficult. You'd think that Reich had input on the RB selections so maybe the draft picks have that. If they get outplayed this summer I don't think being a day 3 selection matters. 

There will be battles all over camp. It should make for a fun summer and a hungry roster. 

Ik facts most people forgot mack is a day 3 pick also like they all assume think he is gonna be safe i dont think so he is gonna have one hell of a battle my opinion i just think turbin and matt jones isnt gonna make the 53 man roster thats my opinion tho