Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain [Merge]

CR91

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Ball skills are good, but against weak competition which he is obviously knocked for. ESPN had him as best available receiver and NFL had him rated decent as a 5th round pick, mentioning him as a solid 4th receiver (perfect for this team behind TY, Grant and Rogers.)

I think there will be another free agent signing. I’m still watching for Dontrelle Inman who played in SD with our offensive cordinator and last in Chicago.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I love when people plagiarize around here

Lol, of course they do. And then they Bully other posters on criteria and someone else's opinions they read on some site.

Makes them feel smart. I'm sure posters here can guess which ones do it most around here.

2 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Thanks, that's a lot better POV that just the downside.  If we drafted a third-rate receiver from say Florida we'd love it but a first-rate guy from N. Iowa and we hate on it.  When people don't know anything I wish they wouldn't render an uninformed opinion.

Yeah, he has upside, but hes gotta get there and he may not. I never heard of him until his pro day and saw his broad and verical jumps and was like "HOLY NUTS!" and investigated a little more.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Actually has very good ballskills... catches it away from the body... but route running needs development. 

Yep. I saw this too. His hands and the way he catches reminded me of Hopkins. Obviously not D Hop, but his relaxed catching ability showed glimpses. 

• Like 1

I love it. watched a couple of highlights from the east west shrine game, where he apparently shined.

i read that he may need work on running routes, but he looked like he ran really sharp routes in what I saw.

coooool

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think there will be another free agent signing. I’m still watching for Dontrelle Inman who played in SD with our offensive cordinator and last in Chicago.

Absolutely. We might take Brown here next pick... who knows. 

Ballard said 10-15 UDFA post draft, but that is about it. I look for a lot of defensive backs and linebackers in that bunch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Yep. I saw this too. His hands and the way he catches reminded me of Hopkins. Obviously not D Hop, but his relaxed catching ability showed glimpses. 

I said the same. Same size. Very similar ability to come back and catch on his back shoulder against coverage like Hopkins. 

It's ok to compare 5th round talents to top notch probowlers in terms of size and specific traits. He's obviously not anything close overall. But nice to have on the roster in an area of need. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Actually has very good ballskills... catches it away from the body... but route running needs development. 

Makes sense if he slipped that far due to route running.

Well hopefully they get his route running up to speed. That combo of size, athleticism and ability to catch in traffic...with good route running...has the makings of a very good outside WR in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Nice find...

Here is what they reported:

Fountain posted a 42.5-inch vertical and 134-inch broad jump at the Northern Iowa pro day in late March.

One of the biggest name to not be invited to the NFL Combine, Fountain turned heads with his jaw-dropping pro day. In fact, Fountain would've ranked first among participating receivers at said combine in both the vertical and broad jump, while his unofficial 4.46-second 40-yard dash would've ranked 10th. This all comes after he won offensive MVP honors at the East-West Shrine Game in mid-January. However, despite how impressive he's been in the pre-draft process, Fountain is still a raw prospect who likely needs to refine his technique to succeed at the pro level. He figures to be selected on Day 3, with the upside to vastly outperform that pedigree.

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I love when people plagiarize around here

Well, this time of the year, everyone is a professional scout and likes to appear they know all about these players. They also like to pretend the notes about these players are their own work too, glad someone called the negative nelly out on it. 

The thing cracking me up most is the responses about good player but picked too early or I see them more as a 4-5 rounder vs the 3rd rounder CB took them. My favorite is wow, we took him with a high second and that was probably a middle of the round player but I like the pick, he was just too high and not a value pick. Lol!! None of these jokers who criticize taking a player at 36 could handle the pressure of deciding that this player matches our skill set and need and is a great fit for the team but we either have to take him 5 picks sooner than ESPN projected him or we could loose him. 

Every year,  cracks me up lol

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Not going to pretend that I know anything about this kid. Why not Cain or St. Brown

I’m just going to point this out to show you have no expertise in making picks for nfl players. You wanted Cain instead of this kid and the colts just now picked Cain as well how many picks later than YOU and some other negative posters keep harping over every pick CB has made? So does CB taking your guy 3 picks later make him way smarter than you for sorting through information and picking players based on their talent scouts and board? I sure do. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m just going to point this out to show you have no expertise in making picks for nfl players. You wanted Cain instead of this kid and the colts just now picked Cain as well how many picks later than YOU and some other negative posters keep harping over every pick CB has made? So does CB taking your guy 3 picks later make him way smarter than you for sorting through information and picking players based on their talent scouts and board? I sure do. 

Cool Story bro!! Glad we Cain tho!!

23 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hey... we got Cain too. Ballard must have been reading the forum.

Yeah he finally read my text man!

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Not going to pretend that I know anything about this kid. Why not Cain or St. Brown

Or even Simmi Cobbs from IU? I have never heard of this kid that we drafted. then again i don't pay attention much to division 2 schools. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769964-best-kept-secrets-of-the-2018-nfl-draft

Best-Kept Secrets of the 2018 NFL Draft

MIKE TANIER, APRIL 19, 2018

Secret Late-Rising, Draft-Process-Winner WR: Daurice Fountain, Northern Iowa

hi-res-9d6a69a7cad38a57a75c70129b98c22f_

Lightly recruited out of high school and stuck in an FCS program that changed offensive coordinators every single year, Fountain entered his senior season as a long shot to ever come close to the NFL.

Even after catching 66 passes for 943 yards and 12 touchdowns in his final season, he was still having a hard time catching the NFL's eye.

"I had a scout tell me I went from a potential rookie minicamp invite to a sleeper draft pick," Fountain told Bleacher Report.

Earning the offensive MVP award at the East-West Shrine Game still wasn't enough to land Fountain a spot at the combine. Fountain—who attended high school in Madison, Wisconsin, but got lost in the recruiting shuffle when his hometown university shifted from Brett Bielema to Gary Andersen to Paul Chryst—was told that the combine invitation list was too full to accommodate such a late riser.

Fountain then ran a 4.46-second 40 at his pro day, with a 42.5-inch vertical leap that would have topped all wide receivers at the combine. Suddenly, he's racking up the frequent flyer miles with NFL team visits. "I've been visiting cities I have never been to in my life," he said.

Fountain's leaping ability stands out on his game film: FCS cornerbacks don't stand a chance against him on 50-50 balls. His determination and ability to set up defenders with double moves is also apparent.

Teams hosting Fountain will be looking to determine how well he can absorb an NFL playbook. That's where playing for four different coordinators and six different receiver coaches at Northern Iowa works to Fountain's advantage. He's used to learning a whole new set of plays in practice week and executing them in games that very week.

"It's been a norm for me to learn new plays at a rapid pace, literally at the last minute," he said. "That was one of the advantage I've had during all of these whiteboard sessions."

Fountain is now hearing early Day 3 projections. He's also getting some good advice on coping with the airports-and-whiteboards grind from Northern Iowa's most famous NFL alum: Cardinals running back David Johnson.

"He told me to have fun with it," Fountain said, "because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Now that he's finally getting that opportunity, look for Fountain to make the most of it.

Projected round: Late 3rd to early 4th

Potential upside: Davante Adams