Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Available

Moving forward, I was looking at possible next selections.

2 players that  jump out at me with our early 4th round pick, I probably could find others like a CB or WR if I looked but I like these 2 players:

1 - DT Tim Settle, 6-3 335, Virginia Tech.  Has some neat positive. Besides run stopping, has some inside pass rushing skills.  If Ballard says

we are building from the inside (line) out then lets go all in.  We got 2 top offensive lineman, 2 pass rushers, lets get a big DT.

2 - RB Nyheim HInes, 5-8 1/2 197, NC State.  He can play RB,, or slot as he is a good receiver and gifted kick returner which is instinctive, he has has moves and is fast.  I think of                                                                                  Darren Sproles like, and even though small, he is big man on the football field.  He makes the big plays and a player like this is not easy                                                                             to find.  Can be worth his weight in gold.

I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on Hurst, I know he’s completely off a lot of boards due to his possible meds.  

Later round, I’d like to see them get St. Brown or Cobbs, although I don’t think WR is as big a need as some do.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

Moving forward, I was looking at possible next selections.

2 players that  jump out at me with our early 4th round pick, I probably could find others like a CB or WR if I looked but I like these 2 players:

1 - DT Tim Settle, 6-3 335, Virginia Tech.  Has some neat positive. Besides run stopping, has some inside pass rushing skills.  If Ballard says

we are building from the inside (line) out then lets go all in.  We got 2 top offensive lineman, 2 pass rushers, lets get a big DT.

2 - RB Nyheim HInes, 5-8 1/2 197, NC State.  He can play RB,, or slot as he is a good receiver and gifted kick returner which is instinctive, he has has moves and is fast.  I think of                                                                                  Darren Sproles like, and even though small, he is big man on the football field.  He makes the big plays and a player like this is not easy                                                                             to find.  Can be worth his weight in gold.

Hines is possible...   has been comped to Dion Lewis...

But Settle is not a scheme fit....   we want smaller and faster...   besides we drafted Settke last year when we took Grover Stewart....   he was drafted 347 last year though he quickly lost 14 pounds CNN played at 333...    if he wasn't to stick, I suspect he'll Lise more weight this year...

Other players may lose weight to stick..  guys like Ridgeway come to mind.. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hines is possible...   has been comped to Dion Lewis...

But Settke is not a scheme fit....   we want smaller and faster...   besides we drafted Settke last year when we took Grover Stewart....   he was drafted 347 last year though he quickly lost 14 pounds CNN played at 333...    if he wasn't to stick, I suspect he'll Lise more weight this year...

Other players may lose weight to stick..  guys like Ridgeway come to mind.. 

Nyhiem Hines and Simmie Cobbs JR are the two guys I want to take with our 4th rounder. I believe Hines can start for us immediately, and Cobbs would instantly be the no2 Receiver opposite TY Hilton.

There's a lot of interesting possibilities.

If Ballard decides to triple dip in the OL, which at this point I wouldn't be shocked, Tyrell Crosby is an option.

At LB there's Jewell and Skai Moore, and possibly Tegray Scales.

At the offensive skill positions there's Auden Tate at WR and Kalen Ballage at RB, but I think those guys have some red flags. Can't quite remember.

And I doubt Ballard goes DE again but if he does, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo could be an option.

At CB, Meeks or Hill, although Hill's got some red falgs. Meeks I can't remember much about.

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on Hurst, I know he’s completely off a lot of boards due to his possible meds.  

Later round, I’d like to see them get St. Brown or Cobbs, although I don’t think WR is as big a need as some do.  

Hurst is a first rounder and you can “take a chance” on a stud in round 4? No brainer. Other players have had this issue and are fine. He’s a beast. Draft him. Worst case, draft Ogbonnia. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BillHalfpap said:

Hurst is a first rounder and you can “take a chance” on a stud in round 4? No brainer. Other players have had this issue and are fine. He’s a beast. Draft him. Worst case, draft Ogbonnia. 

Hurst is one of my favorite players and I'd be thrilled to take him....

But...

It's being reported that a good number of teams have removed Hurst completely from their board.   To them, he is undraftable due to his heart condition.   So this might not be the no brainer you think it is..   The doctors and owners will likely decide this one.

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nyhiem Hines and Simmie Cobbs JR are the two guys I want to take with our 4th rounder. I believe Hines can start for us immediately, and Cobbs would instantly be the no2 Receiver opposite TY Hilton.

A reminder...   rookie WRs rarely do anything.    I don't think we'd bring in any rookie WR to start.    Whoever we take will likely play, but start us another issue.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder...   rookie WRs rarely do anything.    I don't think we'd bring in any rookie WR to start.    Whoever we take will likely play, but start us another issue.

I do think our team is an exception. Grant and Rogers are nothing to write home about. Cobbs would easily start over them IMO. His production may not be fantastic, but I think he'll get the opportunity with us, and the competition he would have to beat out wouldn't be tough.

Ballard might not be finished adding to the lines in this draft. There are some good prospects still available. Andrew Brown (DT), RJ Mcintosh (DT), Bilal Nichols (DT),  Brett Toth (OT), Tyrell Crosby (OT/G), and Tony Adams (G)

Tremon Smith is not as well known but he is a CB that I think fits the profile of what the Colts want at that position. He has length and ball skills.

Also, don't forget about Shaquen Griffin. Yes, I know he doesn't have a left hand but the guy can play. I think if a team is going to draft him the Colts are a possibility. He has speed and character which are two things Ballard has said over and over again that he wants.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I do think our team is an exception. Grant and Rogers are nothing to write home about. Cobbs would easily start over them IMO. His production may not be fantastic, but I think he'll get the opportunity with us, and the competition he would have to beat out wouldn't be tough.

You are seriously underestimating Grant and Rodgers.  The rookie learning curve is steep.  

I expect whoever we draft will be our 4th WR...   maybe...  These kids are coming into the NFL and are not ready to start.

There is still Dontrelle Inman who I hope to sign as our number two...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You are seriously underestimating Grant and Rodgers.  The rookie learning curve is steep.  

I expect whoever we draft will be our 4th WR...   maybe...  These kids are coming into the NFL and are not ready to start.

I probably am underestimating them, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with those two after Hilton. Inman would be fantastic, but we can't sign him until after the draft or it will affect compensation. I think you are underestimating Simmie Cobbs tbh. He's probably a day 2 guy tbh who fell a round. He's more ready than you think, and if Luck starts, he'll look better than he really is right away.

One kid I really like that is still available is Richie James. He's a wide receiver from Mid Tenn St. I've watched a majority of the games that he has played over the last two years. He was smooth going through his drills at the combine too. James isn't the biggest WR out there but he is incredibly productive and he is a phenomenal athlete. I'm not saying that he is the next Antonio Brown by any means but if you watch him play you can see that they're from the same type of mold.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Hogan and Listenbee have as much or more potential as anyone left in this draft.  That being said, Cobbs or St.Brown are interesting.

I’d like to get back to the Peyton philosophy.  Get me guys who can catch and I’ll get them in the best formation to get the ball to them.  I.e.the Blair White project.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I probably am underestimating them, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with those two after Hilton. Inman would be fantastic, but we can't sign him until after the draft or it will affect compensation. I think you are underestimating Simmie Cobbs tbh. He's probably a day 2 guy tbh who fell a round. He's more ready than you think, and if Luck starts, he'll look better than he really is right away.

I'm not married to Simmie Cobbs or any other WR for this reason....   There are 10-12 tall WRs available starting today and I don't know who Ballard values? There are arguments for all of them.   My favorite is Desean Hamilton.  But if it's Cobbs -- fine.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not married to Simmie Cobbs or any other WR for this reason....   There are 10-12 tall WRs available starting today and I don't know who Ballard values? There are arguments for all of them.   My favorite is Desean Hamilton.  But if it's Cobbs -- fine.

Cobbs, Brown, and Hamilton are the 3 I want the most. Would really like to pick one up with our 4th rounder. That would get us a solid player left in the draft on day 3 and also fill a major need. I'm guessing Ballard values one of the 3 and will fill the position somehow today.

• Like 1

There is a boatload of WRs on the board that I like, so I'm not too concerned there.

RB is getting super thin. Marlon Mack was the absolute last RB on the board that I liked last year when we got him. It's starting to get to that point again this year. I'm not a Kalen Ballage fan. He is the classic looks like Tarzan plays like Jane prospect. I'm a lot higher on Jaylen Samuels (who is listed as a FB) than most people. Samuels is going to be a steal because of his versatility. I'm very confident he can be a three down back in the league. 

The other backs I have on my board are Bo Scarbrough, John Kelly, Mark Walton, Darrel Williams, Ito Smith and Nyheim Hines. Hines is in the Chris Thompson mold and would be best suited for a similar role. After that I see a bunch guys that I want no part of.

Colt Nation,

I did have Nyhiem Hines on my wish list per the original post on this email.  I was watching more highlights of him, he can also run the ball from scrimmage 6-8 carries a game, or a little more.  Mack can get his 10-15 carries.  We can go with a 3 back rotation, with the 3rd being a big back in 239 lbs Matt Jones for 3 changes of pace.  Hines is a dangerous kickoff returner too.  Good home run threat, kind of like what TY brought from his WR position.