Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Ballard's vision

ColtStrong2013

On 5/1/2018 at 2:19 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

He did say he is very strict about it, especially in rounds 1-5.  So I take that as meaning special cases may be made in the 6th and 7th round.  Probably for the type of situation you described.

I didn't dislike Grigson as much as many on this forum (mostly the same people that thought he was a great GM his first three years) but one thing I did mention from the 2nd season on was the Colts had no identity, they didn't seem to be targeting a certain type of player or mentality, basically I didn't think he had a vision for the type of team he wanted to create.  Ballard seems to have that vision and has developed the road map to make that vision a reality.  It is a refreshing change.

This. 

No identity at all. Their identity was a bad roster that could come together and make comebacks behind #12 after digging themselves in a hole. Not a good thing to be known for. 

If I'm picking an identity, it's the ability to pick on defenses with speed and a top notch o-line and cause chaos on defense. 

On 5/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, throwing BBZ said:

In Reality, statistics show when you move a QB of his spot his completion % drops below YOUR Meaningless 50%.
If we can generate good pressure up the middle our outside rushers WILL generate more sacks.

First, I believe that completion percentages for moving a QB are on the rise.  This is due to more mobile QBs like; Rogers, Wilson ,Wenz, Watson, and Mariota to name a few.  They have no problem having to move before completing it down field.  In the top 5 QBs taken this year in the draft, Mayfield, Darnold, and Jackson do well moving.  With players getting bigger, faster, and stronger each year, the pocket passer could be a dying breed.  The younger QBs look at getting moved as giving their WRs more time to get open, IMO.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:53 AM, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

No one is griping about the offensive linemen we picked. Its the 2 situational DE'S we picked. How did that make the Colts better today?

I'm not questioning his judgement of these two players. Neither on Leonard. Ballard is one of the best scout in the NFL by most experts, so if he thinks a player worths a pick, so be it. The only pick I do not understand is picking a second guard instead of for example a corner. Why didn't he pick a corner, when there were plenty of top talents available? I can't think of anything else than for some reason each of them were low on his board for whatever reason we do not know of (health, character issue, not system fit, who knows). 

The other thing bothers me a bit is that Leonard and Turay have a fair share of injury history. I'm a bit worried if they will be able to stay healthy in the NFL....

To me, this draft, like last year's, is about creating depth for a depleted roster. While I understand wanting to get immediate starters in the first 2 rounds, the reality is Ballard isn't rushing this process of rebuilding this team. He traded back a few times and came away with 11 picks. I expect him to take the same approach next year. Plus, he did say they were evaluating players more for how they fit what the Colts want to do. And, don't forget about players who become available after roster cuts. 

8 hours ago, sracolts84 said:

To me, this draft, like last year's, is about creating depth for a depleted roster. While I understand wanting to get immediate starters in the first 2 rounds, the reality is Ballard isn't rushing this process of rebuilding this team. He traded back a few times and came away with 11 picks. I expect him to take the same approach next year. Plus, he did say they were evaluating players more for how they fit what the Colts want to do. And, don't forget about players who become available after roster cuts. 

I do know one thing.  Ballard and many/most fans love the idea of getting 11 draft picks, and signing 10 (was that the final amount?) Priority college free agents.  However, no matter how poor the current roster was/is, it will be incredibly difficult to find work for 21 new players for 2018.  Guaranteed.

Some favs and underdogs just aren't going to cut it.  But competition to earn their keep should be plenty.

Ballard admits he is not one to stress out or panic.  That's because he prepares for situations.  Always thinking ahead is a good trait for an NFL guy who has to deal with salary caps and injuries routinely.  I'm on board.  

On 4/28/2018 at 9:55 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

Leonard is a starting linebacker in this defense.
Smith is a starting guard and makes an interior offensive line that Andrew Luck has never had the privilege of playing behind in the NFL. He is an All-American... which makes 3 on the interior. That's not wasting Luck's career, that is trying to salvage it.

Turay and Lewis might be cheap depth in your eyes, but you aren't taking into consideration that they will play every bit as much in this defense as the "Starters" you refer to. 

Our interior oline is gonna be stout for sure. OT is a bit of a ? atm. Can AC keep up his play from last year our drop off some? Right side we have options? I think what some are forgetting is that we are thinking these guys are depth behind guys that like Walker, Basham, who have not proven to be starters. Unfortunately if they dont take a huge step in progression going forward, there goes the perceived depth. Especially with unproven rooks behind them. Seems maybe this is going to be a defense by committee approach, 11 start, but like 22 play a lot through the games rotating often. We really need to just sit back and see how this unfolds, pray, and trust our people.

12 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Our interior oline is gonna be stout for sure. OT is a bit of a ? atm. Can AC keep up his play from last year our drop off some? Right side we have options? I think what some are forgetting is that we are thinking these guys are depth behind guys that like Walker, Basham, who have not proven to be starters. Unfortunately if they dont take a huge step in progression going forward, there goes the perceived depth. Especially with unproven rooks behind them. Seems maybe this is going to be a defense by committee approach, 11 start, but like 22 play a lot through the games rotating often. We really need to just sit back and see how this unfolds, pray, and trust our people.

It's all about competition on defense. They are going to rotate and see what sticks. They will find players that mesh and play well as a unit and those guys will get the starts and bulk of the rotational play. That's my two cents based on Ballard's comments going forward.

I understand it, just don't 100% agree with it. I personally think teams should lean towards needs, but if you're consistently passing up better players to get someone because there's a drop off after (Smith) or to gain depth for a rotation (Lewis) that your overall talent level will never be what it could. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Peterk2011 said:

I'm not questioning his judgement of these two players. Neither on Leonard. Ballard is one of the best scout in the NFL by most experts, so if he thinks a player worths a pick, so be it. The only pick I do not understand is picking a second guard instead of for example a corner. Why didn't he pick a corner, when there were plenty of top talents available? I can't think of anything else than for some reason each of them were low on his board for whatever reason we do not know of (health, character issue, not system fit, who knows). 

The other thing bothers me a bit is that Leonard and Turay have a fair share of injury history. I'm a bit worried if they will be able to stay healthy in the NFL....

That question I can answer it don't matter how good your secondary is , If you have no pass rush they are mediocre at best. That's why he didn't hit on a corner .

• Thanks 1