Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Ballard's vision

ColtStrong2013

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah and so can John Simon and Jabaal Sheard. Are they pass rushers that blow off the run? Just curious. 

Let's wait until a few games through the season to claim this is exactly the same defense... because I 100% guarantee you it isn't. 

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Go watch Turay's film and tell me he doesn't set the edge. I watched the entire Michigan game.. every single down he played. And he set the edge damn near every time. Get out of here with that garbage. Lewis was the best run stuffing defensive end in the big ten. 

"Whatever"... great talk

Went back and all I saw were highlights.  None were of him setting an edge, but pass rushing.  Still what I said is true, if the DEs can't set the edge, they are basically situational players.and the 2nd round is not where to get then.  I also found out about his 2 shoulder surgeries.  Like I said whatever.

Simon can set an edge.  Sheard has trouble, as he was never asked to do that much.  Do not use Sheard as an example as a pass rusher..  Need to average more than 6 sacks a year.

I am seeing a rebuild of the defense of the Manning years.  Built to play with a lead, but can't play catch up.  Yes, 10 straight division titles, but only 1 Super Bowl.  That year, we brought in Booger McFarland, a big slow, take up 2 blockers DT.  Most of those years, our DBs lead the team in tackles, instead of the LBs.  A good way to shorten your DBs' career.

I am not condemning the draft, but stating the obvious.  

4 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Went back and all I saw were highlights.  None were of him setting an edge, but pass rushing.  Still what I said is true, if the DEs can't set the edge, they are basically situational players.and the 2nd round is not where to get then.  I also found out about his 2 shoulder surgeries.  Like I said whatever.

Simon can set an edge.  Sheard has trouble, as he was never asked to do that much.  Do not use Sheard as an example as a pass rusher..  Need to average more than 6 sacks a year.

I am seeing a rebuild of the defense of the Manning years.  Built to play with a lead, but can't play catch up.  Yes, 10 straight division titles, but only 1 Super Bowl.  That year, we brought in Booger McFarland, a big slow, take up 2 blockers DT.  Most of those years, our DBs lead the team in tackles, instead of the LBs.  A good way to shorten your DBs' career.

I am not condemning the draft, but stating the obvious.  

That is your problem bud. You watched highlights which of course will show him pass rushing. Go watch every down against Michigan. Tapes on YouTube. He set the edge far more than he was called to pass rush. He even went out of his way at times to ensure a back didn't get to the corner... Rutgers defensive tackles and linebackers were bad and generally didn't make the play. Turay also hustled down field and made plays that he should not have made as a defensive end. He was the best safety on the Rutgers roster at times last season based on film I have seen. 

67 pressures for Sheard last season. A lot of people disagree with you on that great analysis you provided. 

"Stating the obvious..." Using short sighted statistics to paint a picture that isn't true is not stating the obvious. 

Here's what gets me about fans that complain about the draft or because they didn't draft player x when he was still available or who blame the GM, it shows me they don't really understand the role of a GM.

A Gm is not supposed to say, "I like this player" and draft him.  A GM has to work with the coaches and determine which traits the coaches want in their players, then rank the traits and then study film together so they rate they can determine how to score each trait.  Then the GM (and scouts) scout players and assign a score to each trait and then they weight each score on each trait depending on the importance from the coach.

So it doesn't matter what NFL.com or WalterFootball or PFF or any other side grades a player because they have no idea what traits a Colts coach finds important.

We may find out that CB is not good at finding players with the traits the coaches think are important.  We may find that the coaches are not very good at determining which traits are important for their players.  But to call a player a reach or situational or over drafted (or underdrafted) a day or two after they are drafted shows a lack of understanding of the system of scouting and drafting players.

One thing is very clear from this draft... all the guys were team captains, team leaders, multi-year starters.  All defense players seem to guys that can run well and tackle well.  On offense the guys seem to be difference makers whether it's on the oline at RB or WR.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

All I know is Chris Ballard addressed our great needs along both lines and has created competition with the LB corps, running backs and wide receivers.  I like that he looks at character in players, as well as their athleticism.  We only see highlight reels and games, but to sit down and talk to someone, ask questions and get a sense of where their heads and hearts are when it comes to life and football is something we'll never be able to do.

The players he drafted were team leaders, team captains, and some had overcome adversity during their college careers, too.  If you draft a prima donna, you'll end up with a great athlete, but you'll also likely get a head case to go along with it.  We see these type of guys fall hard and fast when times get tough.

So, we'll know how this draft class does in a year or two, but we'll also see some glimpses of what they can be this season and I'm excited!!!

Now we have to wait to see them play.  We made it this far since the end of the season...saw a new coach hired, then his replacement hired after the first guy backed out...saw us sign a few free agents and now the draft.

Won't be long until training camp, then the pre-season and then Colts football 2018!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:41 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I just finished watching Ballard and Frank's press conference... how many of you complaining watched it? 

They make a lot of interesting points and comments on this draft. First and foremost, Ballard is 100% confident that this league is won up front, especially in December and January when it matters most. That is so important to me as a Colts fan as it has been neglected time and time again. He commented that he "dreamt of the day when he drafted o-line and dline." He feels that strongly, and I tend to agree. They both talked about the division and how important the trenches are against our division opponents... Jacksonville damn near won a superbowl last year because of consistent focus on the fronts. And they have retooled for this season by snagging Norwell. These first two rounds are HUGE for the Indianapolis Colts and the health of this franchise going forward for that reason alone. We are facing 2 formidable defensive fronts in Houston with a healthy JJ Watt and Co. & Jacksonville with Campbell and Co. 4 games next year could put Andrew Luck into retirement if we fielded an o-line like we did last year. Ballard simply said we picked plauers off the street last year because of no depth and he refuses to do it again. KUDOS to you my friend. 

They talked about Leonard and how quickly he would have been picked up had they not taken him. He was #5 linebacker on their board and 4 were off, so they felt good. He's fast and they preached the importance of speed for this defense and team overall. 

Most important they talked in depth about the defensive line and its importance to this defense. They play on running 7 to 9 guys consistently and what he considers in "rotational waves" which lead to them placing high importance on Turay and Lewis. Ballard thinks highly of them both, especially Turay who is "long, explosive and has great bend." He mentioned Von Miller carefully and laughed as the media told them Turay's comment about Miller. They will be key pieces in this defense from the start, make no mistake. 

In other points, Reich talked about the wide receiver depth which was questioned multiple times by the media. He said the mini camp showed that we have plenty of talented receivers that are explosive off the ball, catch well and are understanding the new offense. New England has won many superbowls with underrated receivers that fit that mold... plenty of opportunities to find talent there in rounds 4, 5 and 7. 

Ballard said last year he was frustrated with the fronts getting beat so badly. There was little depth in the draft which is why they spent money in FA on the defensive line especially and focused on skilled players in the draft. 

I'm confident this team improved drastically the past two nights. 

#fireballard :lol:

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Here's what gets me about fans that complain about the draft or because they didn't draft player x when he was still available or who blame the GM, it shows me they don't really understand the role of a GM.

A Gm is not supposed to say, "I like this player" and draft him.  A GM has to work with the coaches and determine which traits the coaches want in their players, then rank the traits and then study film together so they rate they can determine how to score each trait.  Then the GM (and scouts) scout players and assign a score to each trait and then they weight each score on each trait depending on the importance from the coach.

So it doesn't matter what NFL.com or WalterFootball or PFF or any other side grades a player because they have no idea what traits a Colts coach finds important.

We may find out that CB is not good at finding players with the traits the coaches think are important.  We may find that the coaches are not very good at determining which traits are important for their players.  But to call a player a reach or situational or over drafted (or underdrafted) a day or two after they are drafted shows a lack of understanding of the system of scouting and drafting players.

One thing is very clear from this draft... all the guys were team captains, team leaders, multi-year starters.  All defense players seem to guys that can run well and tackle well.  On offense the guys seem to be difference makers whether it's on the oline at RB or WR.

What bothers me is when people don't know why we would draft a person at a specific position when someone rated higher at the position is available... There is a lot of factors that go into that, the biggest one being that they might not have even entertained the player that wasn't drafted. They might have brought the guy they drafted in on a top 30 visit and had multiple scouting sessions and meetings. That's a nobrainer of who to take in a scenario like that if the guy that you spent a lot of time and homework on fits what you are looking for. 

There was one individual on here that was bothered that we took Fountain over Cain at 159 only to turn around and draft Cain at 185. 

• Like 2

Obvious is to protect Andrew Luck. But I think another reason is to preserve Luck's shoulder and slowly bring it back to form. I think we are going to see a lot of running and short passes in the game and eat the clock with running in the end. So, in that sense, I think our plan on drafting guards early in the draft look really good. I still wish we would've draft CB at some point in the draft but oh well, we will see if there are any releases post-draft and may be, just may be, they still have high hopes on T.J. freaking Green. lol

7 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

Obvious is to protect Andrew Luck. But I think another reason is to preserve Luck's shoulder and slowly bring it back to form. I think we are going to see a lot of running and short passes in the game and eat the clock with running in the end. So, in that sense, I think our plan on drafting guards early in the draft look really good. I still wish we would've draft CB at some point in the draft but oh well, we will see if there are any releases post-draft and may be, just may be, they still have high hopes on T.J. freaking Green. lol

Merged.

38 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What bothers me is when people don't know why we would draft a person at a specific position when someone rated higher at the position is available... There is a lot of factors that go into that, the biggest one being that they might not have even entertained the player that wasn't drafted. They might have brought the guy they drafted in on a top 30 visit and had multiple scouting sessions and meetings. That's a nobrainer of who to take in a scenario like that if the guy that you spent a lot of time and homework on fits what you are looking for. 

There was one individual on here that was bothered that we took Fountain over Cain at 159 only to turn around and draft Cain at 185. 

The only ratings that matter is how the Colts have the prospects rated.  We may think XYZ from the info we receive and that could be totally the opposite of how the Colts view who is available on the board.  Or that player could be the antithesis of what we seek in a player in terms of there internal make up.  Character, Toughness, Accountability, etc etc.  Or that player may not be a scheme fit even though we think he is.  The Colts don't build their board based on Mel Kiper, Mcshay, Bucky Brooks and all the other analysts.  They have their own way of doing things.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I will agree that the term reached is overused. Outside of the first round, or unless a player is clearly taken way too early, a reach shouldn't be used to describe a player. Coaches and FO have different big boards and look for different things than the media or armchair GMs who do mock drafts.

21 hours ago, gacker65 said:

Only one little problem, this Defense is being built to play with a lead.  This not a true 4-3, but a hybrid, built to stop the pass but not the run.  We don't have Sanders and Bethea any more.  

What are you talking about?

A 4-3 defense by design is the defensive players cover the gaps. That in itself helps stop the run. Ballard also drafted fast players who can break on the ball carrier. These type of players drafted can stop the run but can put pressure on the opposing QB from any gap on the line, not just defensive ends.

Ballard addressed areas that have been neglected over the last few years. Games are won and lost in the trenches. It's always been that way and it's never going to change.

• Like 3

On 4/28/2018 at 8:35 AM, GusFring said:

I understand it. Grigson wasted pics on Fleener, Allen, and Dorsett when he should have put a legit line in front of Luck. 

I just wish he'd replace Costanzo. 

Oh, Dear God.....    (Sigh....)                :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

We may find out that CB is not good at finding players with the traits the coaches think are important.  We may find that the coaches are not very good at determining which traits are important for their players.  And we also may find out that the coaches are not able to develop the players Ballard selects. But to call a player a reach or situational or over drafted (or underdrafted) a day or two after they are drafted shows a lack of understanding of the system of scouting and drafting players.

Agree with all of this....and added the bolded. 

• Like 1

Ballard’s vision is every team in our division dominated us at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. 

This division has changed from just out scoring the scrubs. It has to be won in the trenches. Jags got their defence. Titans got their hulks and if Watts ever healthy Texans line could be tops in the league. 

On April 28, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

Think - line changes in hockey, folks. 

I don't watch hockey as a sport regularly or at all for that matter. As a result, this statement didn't exactly shed any light or crystallize anything for me. I can fill in the blanks naturally.

On April 28, 2018 at 4:31 PM, King Colt said:

See an optometrist annually.

Not sure if this is a joke regarding something Ballard said or just goofing around with the thread title. Gotta watch the presser now. 

16 hours ago, Crunked said:

Ballard's vision: It's 20/10 or he needs some serious corrective surgery I am no optometrist so I will wait to see what happens on the field this year.

This is obviously sarcasm. Ballard would probably look clever in glasses though. Not in the mood to watch it right now maybe tomorrow. Kudos to other forum members for hitting the bulk of the main themes though. Basically, Championship football is won in the trenches on both lines. I agree 100% Chris Ballard. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

The only ratings that matter is how the Colts have the prospects rated.  We may think XYZ from the info we receive and that could be totally the opposite of how the Colts view who is available on the board.  Or that player could be the antithesis of what we seek in a player in terms of there internal make up.  Character, Toughness, Accountability, etc etc.  Or that player may not be a scheme fit even though we think he is.  The Colts don't build their board based on Mel Kiper, Mcshay, Bucky Brooks and all the other analysts.  They have their own way of doing things.

That's why it makes me laugh every year when people put so much weight into rankings. Obviously the upper echelon guys get a lot of attention and their tape usually backs it... but it doesn't show any other factors that go into it. Just basing off the tape/combine.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:19 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=4600&type=team

Aside from Bruce Irvin, Earl Thomas (1st rounders), and Bobby Wagner (2nd rounder) the rest of the bulk of that great defense was 4th 5th 6th and even 7th round guys... This is always my frustration with people that focus hard on the first 3 rounds of the draft. You can develop a great defense with 4th-7th rounders...

What is also interesting is how many 4th through 7th round picks they acquired. 3 and 4 picks at times in consecutive drafts.

Yeah, sometimes you can even undrafted guys who excel you just never know. Yes, there are always diamonds in the rough you just got to find them. 

13 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

I will agree that the term reached is overused. Outside of the first round, or unless a player is clearly taken way too early, a reach shouldn't be used to describe a player. Coaches and FO have different big boards and look for different things than the media or armchair GMs who do mock drafts.

Yeah, a reach is when you take a 5th round guy in the 2nd round not when you take a 2-3 round guy in the top of the 2nd round.  Because a GM should have an idea of a players value to most of the rest of the league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ar7 said:

Ballard spent 2+ hours with local reporters tonight going over their 2018 draft class. All will have stories coming. He is part of what he had to say.

Great piece I would highly recommend everyone read it.

Between this forum and the forum at Indystar I have been posting about Colts football since 1998.  And in that time I have seen posters say all sorts of things (myself included).  Some of the things I have seen:

Robert Mathis - Someone was excited about him but the general consensus among fans was that he was a camp body and if he made it on the 53 would not make it past his rookie contract.

Thought Freeney was a reach especially since Albert Haynesworth was still on the board.

Thought the Colts made a mistake not drafting Leaf because his ceiling was much higher than Manning's.

Upset that the Colts took Edge James rather than Ricky Williams or at least trading with Ditka.

GMs are not always correct and players don't always pan out like they would expect but GMs are right more than the fans.  Even bad GMs like Grigs are correct more often than the fans.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Ballard's Vision - Build core of the team via the draft; build from the Trenches out; draft and sign high character guys; supplant the roster with key, affordable FAs ... This is the vision?

I approve. :)

What I thought was interesting was how many guys they had taken completely off their board (49s he called them)... 65 players that the Colts would not consider.  Considering only 256 players were drafted that is 25% ... that is significant.

19 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What I thought was interesting was how many guys they had taken completely off their board (49s he called them)... 65 players that the Colts would not consider.  Considering only 256 players were drafted that is 25% ... that is significant.

A little bit surprising to me, as well.  Sometimes, especially when it's a medical thing, I think it can be worth it to take a mid to lower round flyer on a guy when he is a big time talent that has fallen.  Depending upon how player interviews go, the same can be said for guys with "off field" question marks, too.  I guess the safe route, though, is indeed to simply "49s" such players, so that the risk doesn't come back and bite you in the derriere.

• Like 1

I 100% trust Ballard's vision and the moves he and his staff have made to get the Colts to that vision. 

Would some of us liked to have seen a few things done differently? Of course! But we don't get paid GM money to make these moves from our computer, so sit back and enjoy the ride. 

One thing we can all agree on is that we are in better hands now than the previous regime. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

A little bit surprising to me, as well.  Sometimes, especially when it's a medical thing, I think it can be worth it to take a mid to lower round flyer on a guy when he is a big time talent that has fallen.  Depending upon how player interviews go, the same can be said for guys with "off field" question marks, too.  I guess the safe route, though, is indeed to simply "49s" such players, so that the risk doesn't come back and bite you in the derriere.

He did say he is very strict about it, especially in rounds 1-5.  So I take that as meaning special cases may be made in the 6th and 7th round.  Probably for the type of situation you described.

I didn't dislike Grigson as much as many on this forum (mostly the same people that thought he was a great GM his first three years) but one thing I did mention from the 2nd season on was the Colts had no identity, they didn't seem to be targeting a certain type of player or mentality, basically I didn't think he had a vision for the type of team he wanted to create.  Ballard seems to have that vision and has developed the road map to make that vision a reality.  It is a refreshing change.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2018 at 11:42 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

That is your problem bud. You watched highlights which of course will show him pass rushing. Go watch every down against Michigan. Tapes on YouTube. He set the edge far more than he was called to pass rush. He even went out of his way at times to ensure a back didn't get to the corner... Rutgers defensive tackles and linebackers were bad and generally didn't make the play. Turay also hustled down field and made plays that he should not have made as a defensive end. He was the best safety on the Rutgers roster at times last season based on film I have seen. 

67 pressures for Sheard last season. A lot of people disagree with you on that great analysis you provided. 

"Stating the obvious..." Using short sighted statistics to paint a picture that isn't true is not stating the obvious. 

On some players, all you get are highlights.  Depending where you are in the country, which college games you get, except the so called games of the week.

Who said Sheard had 67 pressures??  PFF??  If PFF, remember they the had our Center, Harrison in the top 25 the year he allowed Luck and Hassleback  to be knocked out of games.  Pressure, causing the QB to step up or move before he resets and completes a pass.  Doesn't really mean anything unless they lead to sacks.

Not short sighted, realistic.  As I stated, seen this in Manning years.  Defense will be fine with lead and will be bad if they have to help retake a lead.  You don't have to like my opinion, but it does not change the facts. 

On 4/30/2018 at 8:20 PM, crazycolt1 said:

What are you talking about?

A 4-3 defense by design is the defensive players cover the gaps. That in itself helps stop the run. Ballard also drafted fast players who can break on the ball carrier. These type of players drafted can stop the run but can put pressure on the opposing QB from any gap on the line, not just defensive ends.

Ballard addressed areas that have been neglected over the last few years. Games are won and lost in the trenches. It's always been that way and it's never going to change.

D-linemen in a 4-3 have to keep the LBs clean, so they can get to the ball.  DTs eat up O-linemen and DEs set edge in the run, as well as pass rush.

You seen the Manning years, and what was the big complaint?  Can't stop the run.  Had to have a lead so Defense could close the game.  Defense was a bend, don't break.  Our DBs lead the team in tackles.  All were complaints we heard during those years.  What one thing changed in the '05- '06 season?  They brought in Booger McFarland, a big, slow, eat up O-linemen DT.  Yes getting Sanders back help in the play offs, but our LBs getting to the ball cleaner got us to the play offs.

I am seeing a replay of those years.  

4 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

D-linemen in a 4-3 have to keep the LBs clean, so they can get to the ball.  DTs eat up O-linemen and DEs set edge in the run, as well as pass rush.

You seen the Manning years, and what was the big complaint?  Can't stop the run.  Had to have a lead so Defense could close the game.  Defense was a bend, don't break.  Our DBs lead the team in tackles.  All were complaints we heard during those years.  What one thing changed in the '05- '06 season?  They brought in Booger McFarland, a big, slow, eat up O-linemen DT.  Yes getting Sanders back help in the play offs, but our LBs getting to the ball cleaner got us to the play offs.

I am seeing a replay of those years.  

Gee, i thought Booger changed that D by being a quick, pressure up the middle guy.  lol

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

On some players, all you get are highlights.  Depending where you are in the country, which college games you get, except the so called games of the week.

Who said Sheard had 67 pressures??  PFF??  If PFF, remember they the had our Center, Harrison in the top 25 the year he allowed Luck and Hassleback  to be knocked out of games.  Pressure, causing the QB to step up or move before he resets and completes a pass.  Doesn't really mean anything unless they lead to sacks.

Not short sighted, realistic.  As I stated, seen this in Manning years.  Defense will be fine with lead and will be bad if they have to help retake a lead.  You don't have to like my opinion, but it does not change the facts. 

In Reality, statistics show when you move a QB of his spot his completion % drops below YOUR Meaningless 50%.
If we can generate good pressure up the middle our outside rushers WILL generate more sacks.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

In Reality, statistics show when you move a QB of his spot his completion % drops below YOUR Meaningless 50%.
If we can generate good pressure up the middle our outside rushers WILL generate more sacks.

Not only that we should see a drop off rate of short dump off passes going for huge chunks of yardage with the speed of the linebackers. That problem contributed to not being able to hold leads when we did get one. Giving up first downs on plays that should have went for 3-5 yards.

I don't care where the pressure comes from but it has to get done if we expect to get wins.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:14 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

That presser put things into perspective. Didn't realize how close all their targets were to coming off the board, so Smith and Leonard were musts there. I think it should be a much better year this year. The team has a direction, and we have some players from this draft that fit that direction. I'll watch the pressers a bit more lol. Still have a day 3 as well!

We would of for sure. He got sniped from us. Smith was the last O-Lineman starter on our board. Still happy though!

Couple of things . Hernandez to the Giants at pick 2.2 was pretty close to automatic. They had such a huge need at G , that some were predicting them to take Nelson at pick 2. So , IMO , unless we traded to pick 33 , we weren't drafting Hernandez. On Leonard , I was reading in ESPN that the GM that was asked about that pick said he also had Leonard rated the 5th best LB in the draft and he was a good pick there. 

That said , I do agree with you that our picks in round 2 did not look like high value picks. Guys like Robert Jones who went right after our picks probably had (IMO) more value than say Smith.  Same with Turay I guess. But thing with him is if you look at the number of plays and the times he pressured the QB , he is second to none in this draft ? Evidently he's extremely disruptive but has trouble finishing the play ? I guess that's why the Colt brass say he's a very good pass rusher right now. They do say he need developing but not as "raw" as some are saying ?

On 4/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

What bothers me is when people don't know why we would draft a person at a specific position when someone rated higher at the position is available...

Rated higher?  Do we know how Ballard's draft board is laid out?  I will confess I don't follow this near as closely as many people do but do we even know how all of these players were rated by Ballard and his team?  

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Rated higher?  Do we know how Ballard's draft board is laid out?  I will confess I don't follow this near as closely as many people do but do we even know how all of these players were rated by Ballard and his team?  

Exactly... Rated higher on espn, nfl.com, pff, whatever it may be. They act like that is absolute when it comes to how a board should be laid out... and then admit they hadn't heard of or watched tape on certain players that are drafted higher.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Couple of things . Hernandez to the Giants at pick 2.2 was pretty close to automatic. They had such a huge need at G , that some were predicting them to take Nelson at pick 2. So , IMO , unless we traded to pick 33 , we weren't drafting Hernandez. On Leonard , I was reading in ESPN that the GM that was asked about that pick said he also had Leonard rated the 5th best LB in the draft and he was a good pick there. 

That said , I do agree with you that our picks in round 2 did not look like high value picks. Guys like Robert Jones who went right after our picks probably had (IMO) more value than say Smith.  Same with Turay I guess. But thing with him is if you look at the number of plays and the times he pressured the QB , he is second to none in this draft ? Evidently he's extremely disruptive but has trouble finishing the play ? I guess that's why the Colt brass say he's a very good pass rusher right now. They do say he need developing but not as "raw" as some are saying ?

Most defensive ends need some developing. Rarely does a guy come straight from college and into a 10 sack year. It will take some time.

28 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Most defensive ends need some developing. Rarely does a guy come straight from college and into a 10 sack year. It will take some time.

No doubt DE is one of the tougher positions to play.

I am concerned about the linebackers. I think Leonard will be a fine Will backer, and probably our best this season (which is probably frightening to most as we are unsure what he will look like) but I am really concerned about the Mike position. I think Goode and Walker can fill the Sam position just fine, but we really don't have a leader at the linebacker position that can play 20 yards deep, and command the middle of the field that will be necessary for the Mike position in this defense. Morrison just doesnt have the speed.