Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who starts at G opposite Nelson?

4 hours ago, coltsfanmurf said:

I think Slauson is penciled in for now.  Smith could give him a run though.

I disagree with this one. Slauson seems like competition and depth to me. I think they will let them compete and push eachother... and let the best one win the spot. 

7 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

You would have to thunk Smith given that we took him so high when there was other quality options there. Colts must have graded him really high.

It's not unusual for rookies to not start immediately. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wonder who we play at RT?

Right now my best guess is we let Haeg Good and I guess Smith battle it out. As long as we have a more uptempo offence and get it out of Lucks hand that should be good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he can, he's a large guy. Slauson maybe will be the other Guard. I am not sure Mewhort can stay healthy?

Good won the RG job last year then got injured.  I think he will start out as the frontrunner and I think they are hoping he takes the job.  I really see Mewhort and Slauson as veteran backups now.  I think Smith can be the RT.  He looks quicker on his feet than Good that's why I like Good at RG. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good won the RG job last year then got injured.  I think he will start out as the frontrunner and I think they are hoping he takes the job.  I really see Mewhort and Slauson as veteran backups now.  I think Smith can be the RT.  He looks quicker on his feet than Good that's why I like Good at RG. 

Yesterday Ballard said,

"We thought he (Smith) was the last starting -level guard. Pairing him with Nelson gives us two young guards going forward for many years to come."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Yesterday Ballard said,

"We thought he (Smith) was the last starting -level guard. Pairing him with Nelson gives us two young guards going forward for many years to come."

It looks like Ballard sees him as a guard.  If that's the case then Good should be our starting RT.  Camp and preseason will determine who plays where though.  What little I have seen of Smith he looks like he could easily play RT.  I wouldn't rule it out at this stage. 

I'm fine with just seeing whoever wins the job.

As Ballard said in his press conference yesterday, we literally had to bring people off the street to play in games with all the injuries we had on the OL last year.

It's not a bad thing to have depth that is good enough to start on the offensive line. And I'd be fine starting Denzelle Good(who played well in week 1 last year before getting injured), or Joe Haeg at RT if the other 4 spots are solidified. Especially in a new quick-pass offense.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Track Guy said:

Mewhort probably has the highest ceiling for '18, Smith probably the highest ceiling beyond that... Slauson is the most sure to be ready to start. So any of these 3 are possibly, let's see who earns it?

Mewhort wont last longer than a few games I think those knee's are still a problem.

Something that I noticed in Ballard's post-draft pressconference  - he said Braden Smith was the 'last starting guard' on their board. I don't know if we should over-analyze this but IMO they fully expect Nelson and Smith to start but I suspect they will make them win those starting spots vs Mewhort and Slauson. I also wouldn't be surprised if they moved Mewhort back to tackle. 

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

Whether we want to see him back at tackle is the wrong question - the better question is is there someone else you would rather see at RT? 

That person may not be on the team yet. Or we are hoping one of Clark, Haeg, Good puts it together. I dont think Mewhort moves well enough to be a tackle.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

That person may not be on the team yet. Or we are hoping one of Clark, Haeg, Good puts it together. I dont think Mewhort moves well enough to be a tackle.

Good has already shown he's better than Haag or Clark at RT.  Hopefully his injury issues are over.  That's his issue.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good has already shown he's better than Haag or Clark at RT.  Hopefully his injury issues are over.  That's his issue.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good is injury prone and inconsistent. Clark and Haeg can improve just like anyone else. You have to prove yourself year to year. New staff, New scheme. We shall see who gets the job.

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

Good is injury prone and inconsistent. Clark and Haeg can improve just like anyone else. You have to prove yourself year to year. New staff, New scheme. We shall see who gets the job.

Good has his injury issues but he's far from inconsistent.  He beat out both for the RT spot last year.  Clark and Haag couldn't stop a bull rush if there life depended on it and they were the higher drafted players.  Good has gotten better every year.  You can't say that about the other two.  But maybe a new staff and scheme will help them.  We shall see.  I see them both on the bubble right now.  Heck Haag couldn't even beat out Vuj!