Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#Fireballard

csmopar

Just now, HectorRoberts said:

11. they both have 2 arms AND 2 legs!

12 both have an R in there their last names

my lord it’s like they are they Same person!!!! You are the smartest person I have ever met! Thank you for showing us all the way!

They both had five kids when they took the job. Nobody's said that yet...

7 hours ago, BleedColtsBlue said:

There isn't one accurate comparison to be made between Ryan grigson and Chris Ballard?  I disagree completely. In fact, here are just some of the similarities.

1. Neither one of them had any GM experience before taking this job.

2. Neither one of them showed any interest in the top level Talent from their former teams.

3. Both have some infatuation with signing bench players off of other teams in the hopes that they can magically become starters here.

4. Both of them love to pass on the best player available in the draft to get go after guys that would be available to two to three rounds later.

5. Both have let multiple talented veterans go - for no compensation whatsoever.

6. They both stay away from high-level free agents, opting to go for lower tier players that do not improve the team significantly.

7. They both love players with injury histories and can't wait to sign them.

8. Apparently, neither one of them saw any value in the running back position.

9. They both seem to love Clayton Geathers even though he never plays and is always hurt.

10. They both seem to love TJ Green, even though he's one of the worst players in the modern era. They also for some reason both thought he could play cornerback.

So, I ask you... What about them is different?

You wrote this TODAY?   July 4th?

Hoping for some fireworks perhaps?

When I first saw this I assumed this was written back around the draft when some here just didn’t understand what Ballard was doing,    But he has since explained WHAT he has done and WHY he has done it.    And you’re still comparing him to Grigson?!?    Holy cow!?!    That’s astounding.

Good Luck this year as a Colts fan.   I think you’re going to be mostly disappointed.    I think this team will, over the course of the entire season, do better than you think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

11. they both have 2 arms AND 2 legs!

12 both have an R in there their last names

my lord it’s like they are they Same person!!!! You are the smartest person I have ever met! Thank you for showing us all the way!

I could have sworn Grig's left arm was part of the TRich deal.

Funny, I just watched Stampede Blues live podcast during the second round. They put out a draft guide, before the draft, and they liked all the second round picks in real time. 

They even loved Tyquan Lewis months before the draft.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BleedColtsBlue said:

There isn't one accurate comparison to be made between Ryan grigson and Chris Ballard?  I disagree completely. In fact, here are just some of the similarities.

1. Neither one of them had any GM experience before taking this job.

2. Neither one of them showed any interest in the top level Talent from their former teams.

3. Both have some infatuation with signing bench players off of other teams in the hopes that they can magically become starters here.

4. Both of them love to pass on the best player available in the draft to get go after guys that would be available to two to three rounds later.

5. Both have let multiple talented veterans go - for no compensation whatsoever.

6. They both stay away from high-level free agents, opting to go for lower tier players that do not improve the team significantly.

7. They both love players with injury histories and can't wait to sign them.

8. Apparently, neither one of them saw any value in the running back position.

9. They both seem to love Clayton Geathers even though he never plays and is always hurt.

10. They both seem to love TJ Green, even though he's one of the worst players in the modern era. They also for some reason both thought he could play cornerback.

So, I ask you... What about them is different?

A lot of people thought Nelson was the best player in this whole draft so I disagree with the idea he doesn’t take top talent.  Add in the year before Hooker was projected to go a lot higher than where the Colts took him and he seems to be taking the best player on the board in the first round.  Once you get past that boards become really subjective and more educated guesses.  

Also I don’t know that he loves Geathers.  What do you want him to do?  Cut him?  If so why?  He’s on his rookie deal and costs very little and when healthy is a good player.  There is no risk in keeping him and the reward could be very high.  Also the fact that Ballard took a safety with his first draft pick here and the fact that Farley was starting over Geathers seems to suggest that Ballard is concerned about Geathers ability to stay healthy.

Again with Green they weren’t going to give up on a second round pick after one year. That would be dumb.  It doesn’t mean he loves him it means he’s trying to see if he can play in the NFL.  The fact that they moved him to a different position last year and that his position on the roster is anything but secure going into camp would suggest he doesn’t love him.  Also it was Pagano, not Grigson, that wanted Green. There is the story about Pagano banging on the desk that they had to have Green.

Grigson spent decent money to maybe get a future Hall of Fame in a Gore here and traded a first round pick for Trent.  If anything Grigson valued the running back position too much.  Ballard has drafted three in two years.  Sounds like he values them to me.  Just because he’s not taking one high doesn’t mean he doesn’t value them.  Many teams besides the Colts have proven in today’s NFL you can get value at the running back spot late in the draft.  From there the only guy that Ballard has drafted at the position that we can judge is Mark and I think people would agree he was a rare highlight last year so rather they got him late or not he was a good player and that’s much more important than where he was drafted.

Check Grigson’s second year as a GM and bringing in Gore, Johnson, and, Jackson,  he had little problem spending big money on free agents.  He also spent big money to keep Mathis and Wayne who’s were free agents.  The problem was they didn’t pan out long term.  Ballard has made it clear he’s going to build through the draft and not free agency.  You have to pick and approach and go with it.  Since Grigson tried going through free agency it makes sense that the Colts would go with a different approach this time around.  Add in the most successful GM in franchise history had the same approach as Ballard and I am not shocked Irsay wanted to go back to that.  

Most of the top talent from their old teams wasn’t available and then when they were didn’t do a whole lot with their new teams.  I also remember that one of the complaints about Grigson was that he brought in too many former Eagles.

Most GMs don’t have GM experience before becoming a GM.  That’s because teams tend to not let good ones go and if you fail teams are reluncant to give you another shot.  I will say they did have different backgrounds.  Grigson was almost a pure scouting guy while Ballard seems to have more diverse front office background.  

Overall, and this is just my opinion, this post reads like someone who is unhappy because the Colts didn’t do what you wanted them to do this off-season and as a result you are reaching to link Ballard to Grigson because Grigson failed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You wrote this TODAY?   July 4th?

Hoping for some fireworks perhaps?

When I first saw this I assumed this was written back around the draft when some here just didn’t understand what Ballard was doing,    But he has since explained WHAT he has done and WHY he has done it.    And you’re still comparing him to Grigson?!?    Holy cow!?!    That’s astounding.

Good Luck this year as a Colts fan.   I think you’re going to be mostly disappointed.    I think this team will, over the course of the entire season, do better than you think.

Frankly I think he wants to be right and in order to be right Ballard must be wrong.  I’ve said for years one of the problems here is that to some being right is much more important than how well the Colts do.  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frankly I think he wants to be right and in order to be right Ballard must be wrong.  I’ve said for years one of the problems here is that to some being right is much more important than how well the Colts do.  

This I agree with, like when some in here say Luck would never play again or play but not be the same. When he tears the league up those people are going to look really silly. Sadly the few that Post stuff like that are probably hoping Luck stinks up the joint so they can say - told you so.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:49 PM, crazycolt1 said:

We have 10 wide receivers on the roster right now not named Hilton. Just how do you know what we have and don't have? 

Dres Anderson 6-2 190 1 yr

K.J. Brent 6-3 202 1 yr

Ryan Grant 6-0 204 5 yrs

Krishawn Hogan 6-3 222 2 yrs

Seantavios Jones 6-3 200 1 yr

Justice Liggins 6-1 210 1 yr

Kolby Listenbee 6-0 183 1 yr

James White 6-0 183 4 yrs

Chester Rogers 6-1 184 3 yrs

DeAndre Smelter 6-2 227 2 yrs

You say Luck has crap to throw to but I highly doubt you have any knowledge on who there guys are and what talent they have to offer. They all were signed for a reason but don't let that get in the way of your negativity.

You forgot Fountain and Cain.

23 hours ago, BleedColtsBlue said:

What is most concerning about this fanbase, and what has bothered me for years... is how willingly Colts fans forget history and happily repeat it.

Chris Ballard in his own way is emulating Ryan grigson more than they realize. Ryan grigson was the king of the draft reach but, after our second round this year I would say that Chris Ballard is the Emperor of it.

2 years and 5 second round draft picks later, we should not have this many question marks on this roster. Trading down and drafting a guard in the top 10 no matter how good we think that guard may turn out to be, is stupid. The Browns had two of the best offensive linemen of their era and yet with no quarterbacking or skill-position Talent the Browns never amounted to much. And I'm sure our guys aren't quite up to the level of Joe Thomas and Alex Mack just yet.

As much as the media talks up Chris Ballard and says how great he is, what has he really done to improve this roster so far? The defense that he focused on last year was even worse, and now we are experiencing a scheme shift which puts us back at square one for the second time in two years. He tried to hired a jerk coach that made a fool of him, then followed up by getting a guy no one else wanted. He then saddled that guy with a team of coordinators who have no experience at their positions.. hired by the previous jerk coach.

Anyone who sees all of these factors and think that this guy is putting together a playoff team or bringing back a winning attitude to this franchise is either willfully ignorant, or stupid beyond help.

Besides, all this blind confidence in Chris reminds me of all the love the same people had for Ryan grigson as he was tearing this team apart.

So I will say loudly and proudly:  #FireBallard

I will say loudly and proudly: This is perhaps the worst take I have seen from someone on this board in my entire time on here. And this is my 4th year on this site. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, buccolts said:

I could have sworn Grig's left arm was part of the TRich deal.

Come on.... it was a softball.

"....and he later went to Cleveland to reclaim it"(?)

Nothing?

In these times where we're in dire need of levity?           :)

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 10:04 AM, BleedColtsBlue said:

Anyone who sees all of these factors and think that this guy is putting together a playoff team or bringing back a winning attitude to this franchise is either willfully ignorant, or stupid beyond help.

tumblr_not3k4AzDf1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Actual footage of Jim Irsay after @BleedColtsBlue told him he needs to #FireBallard:

giphy.gif

What is most concerning about this fanbase, and what has bothered me for years... is how willingly Colts fans forget history and happily repeat it.

How are fans repeating history? None of us have ever drafted a player, signed a free agent, or hired a coach. 

If you mean the fan base continues to root for the Colts year after year, regardless of who the GM, coaches and players are, or if the team is good, average or poor, then guilty as charged. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, BleedColtsBlue said:

Okay. So we shored up our needs at  right guard. Can you tell me how many Super Bowls have been won by guards? How many Super Bowl or regular season MVPs have been guards? Would you say that guard is more important than tackle? Who is our right tackle? Who is our left guard? Is it between a guy that's coming off of a major knee injury and a 32 year-old that's coming off of a major arm injury? What about left tackle? Is that guy getting a little long in the tooth and really only an average player himself at is best? What about running back? We've got a few late round rookies there... And what about wide receiver? We have Ty Hilton - a really great effort guy in Chester Rogers and... And...

But hey. We got a guard.

Talk about willfully ignorant... geez louise...

First, Nelson is the LEFT guard.  Every Super Bowl has been won by at least two guards, since there are at least two on every team.  A guard as MVP, that's funny.  Guard is becoming increasingly more important with increasingly effective interior pass rushers like Aaron Donald and JJ Watt.  Howard is probably the starting RT at this point in time.  Again, Nelson is the Left Guard, Slauson is the Right Guard at this point in time.  Left Tackle is Anthony Castonzo, one of the better Left Tackles in the NFL.  Running back is a committee.  Same with WR.

@BleedColtsBlue  Where is all this vitriol coming from?

635909840654357433-759025943_fighting.gi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Talk about willfully ignorant... geez louise...

First, Nelson is the LEFT guard.  Every Super Bowl has been won by at least two guards, since there are at least two on every team.  A guard as MVP, that's funny.  Guard is becoming increasingly more important with increasingly effective interior pass rushers like Aaron Donald and JJ Watt.  Howard is probably the starting RT at this point in time.  Again, Nelson is the Left Guard, Slauson is the Right Guard at this point in time.  Left Tackle is Anthony Castonzo, one of the better Left Tackles in the NFL.  Running back is a committee.  Same with WR.

@BleedColtsBlue  Where is all this vitriol coming from?

635909840654357433-759025943_fighting.gi

Thank you. I didn't see this response to my comment. You answered it perfectly! :thmup:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, coltsva said:

How are fans repeating history? None of us have ever drafted a player, signed a free agent, or hired a coach. 

If you mean the fan base continues to root for the Colts year after year, regardless of who the GM, coaches and players are, or if the team is good, average or poor, then guilty as charged. 

I call it loyalty

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I'm guessing what he is trying to say is, is that we are repeating history when Ballard is largely doing the same thing as Grigson. We supported Grigson through his tenure, now we are supporting Ballard when he is doing the exact same thing. Or something like that. Though Ballard inherited Grigson's mess, and he is doing things a completely different way to fix it.

Chris Ballard in his own way is emulating Ryan grigson more than they realize. Ryan grigson was the king of the draft reach but, after our second round this year I would say that Chris Ballard is the Emperor of it.

2 years and 5 second round draft picks later, we should not have this many question marks on this roster. Trading down and drafting a guard in the top 10 no matter how good we think that guard may turn out to be, is stupid. The Browns had two of the best offensive linemen of their era and yet with no quarterbacking or skill-position Talent the Browns never amounted to much. And I'm sure our guys aren't quite up to the level of Joe Thomas and Alex Mack just yet.

As much as the media talks up Chris Ballard and says how great he is, what has he really done to improve this roster so far? The defense that he focused on last year was even worse, and now we are experiencing a scheme shift which puts us back at square one for the second time in two years. He tried to hired a jerk coach that made a fool of him, then followed up by getting a guy no one else wanted. He then saddled that guy with a team of coordinators who have no experience at their positions.. hired by the previous jerk coach.

Besides, all this blind confidence in Chris reminds me of all the love the same people had for Ryan grigson as he was tearing this team apart.

So I will say loudly and proudly:  #FireBallard

I hope you are wrong and the Colts are very successful under Ballard.

The real question is: do YOU hope you're wrong?  Or do you want the Colts to lose enough to fire Ballard so that you can be right?

• Like 2

Essentially, What trolling is....is the exertion of control over others. Where the person who is truly angry with the team, it's decisions, etc will stay and argue a point till there is no one left to argue with, the troll simply lights the fire of confrontation, then watches with joy. The joy comes from having some control. It usually stems from living or having lived a life where he or she does not have control over much....or doesn't make the choices to get in control of their life. 

Kind of sad, really. In the end, the comment that rises above it all is...

Go Colts! If this is blind following...it is delicious. :cheers:

• Like 1

This whole thing about ‘supporting Grigson’...like yeah. I did that. I supported Grigson. You know why? Because I’m a colts fan. And he was the colts gm. And I wanted the colts gm to do well so the colts could do well. Doesn’t mean I thought he was good. I still supported him though.

Same with Ballard. I haven’t agreed with everything he’s done so far, including this recent draft. But I trust he has a plan. And I hope he succeeds. Because if he does, that means the colts do too.

Thats not blind following. That’s called being a fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing what he is trying to say is, is that we are repeating history when Ballard is largely doing the same thing as Grigson. We supported Grigson through his tenure, now we are supporting Ballard when he is doing the exact same thing. Or something like that. Though Ballard inherited Grigson's mess, and he is doing things a completely different way to fix it.

People wanted Grigson fired back when he got his extension.  Of course they are going to support Ballard until he gives them a reason not too.  He’s had one year without the guy the team is built around and with a lame duck coach.  From there the guys Ballard brought in last year were the few bright spots so people aren’t ready to cast him aside and since they are fans of the team they are going to pull for him to be successful because that means the team will be successful too.  That’s what fans do.

• Like 1

• Nadine locked this topic