Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So we had 5 picks in first 2 rounds. Did we get 5 starters?

15 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

No we did not. We drafted 3 starters...one will be 27 years old when season starts. We drafted 2 part time DE's. Still no 2nd CB, still no 2nd WR. I give this draft a C-.. Hate this draft period.

And the other two players are situational pass rushing DE's....   and they will likely play two out of every three downs...   and that's fine..   and maybe one if them grows into a starter...   too early to know...

Ballard wants as many pass rushers as he can get.    This is the new NFL... 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

No we did not. We drafted 3 starters...one will be 27 years old when season starts. We drafted 2 part time DE's. Still no 2nd CB, still no 2nd WR. I give this draft a C-.. Hate this draft period.

Dear God...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We werent drafting this year, to get us into the Superbowl

We just had too many holes

Right now, I see three immediate starters

2019........  2 of these picks hopefully will be starting as they develop to go with the other 3

Interesting draft...... very suprised, but wish for the best

• Thanks 1

Yeah I see 3 day one starters in Leonard, Smith, and Nelson.

Turay has potential to be great but it's not going to be right away. I don't think he sees the field much this year.

I think Tyquan Lewis can be a real factor as a defensive tackle on passing downs this year.

I'm not too high on the last two picks, but I'm not going to bash the draft just because we didn't take the "highlighted" people like Guice and Landry that everybody hears about. These guys don't always work out.

• Like 1

I don’t know, we just got more and more unhinged as that 2nd round went along.  Rach pick iffier than the one before.  Good news is that the only pick I really disliked was the Tyquan Lewis one.  But I like him as a player, just 2 rounds later.

A very meat and potatoes draft. If anyone is upset about getting 3 day 1 starters in the first 2 days of the draft, then that's a "them" problem, not a Colts problem. The pass rushers likely won't be starting but will keep the rotation with fresh legs and both Turay and Lewis are talented players. Not sure why Lewis over Hubbard but we also haven't seen this scheme yet and aren't sure what to expect.  People need to calm the heck down and stop with the tantrums. We have 2 extremely talented new interior OL starters to protect 12 and open running lanes, and the sideline to sideline LB that we need. 

Our fan base.... I swear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Ok good to know. But again did we get 5 starters? No we got 3.

Should have gotten 5 starters, I see 3 only if Smith can play RT. If not we got 2 starters out of 5 picks in top 65. That sux.

If you think any team in the NFL can get 5 starters out of five picks you must be a serious rookie in the knowledge of NFL drafting.

• Like 2

This is what I've learned in years of seeing Colts fans reaction to a draft: If every pick wasn't used on defense, they didn't address the defense. If they did use every pick on defense, every pick didn't have a first round grade so it was a waste

• Like 1

I just watched every snap of smiths games vs Georgia LSU and Clemson and he dominated. He needs to play to the whistle a bit better but he was winning 95% of the 1 on 1 battles. 

Watching him he looks like a tackle playing guard so maybe he could play RT. 

4 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

3 starters and 2 additional players to add to the new defensive schemes, "pass rush by commitee" approach...

2 players we could probably have drafted in rounds 4 and 5. Not round 2. 2 other starters were surely available when we reached for those 2. Hey I hope I'm wrong. But those 2 picks are going to haunt the Colts.

2 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

3 starters and 2 additional players to add to the new defensive schemes, "pass rush by commitee" approach...

Exactly Buck.  The very thing we have seen from the past is the talent level drops significantly between our starters and our back ups. We had no depth to speak of. When we got an injury we had no replacement talent wise to take up the slack.

Ballard said he was going to build from the trenches on out wasn't joking. This approach may not be popular to some but it is a blessing to others.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly Buck.  The very thing we have seen from the past is the talent level drops significantly between our starters and our back ups. We had no depth to speak of. When we got an injury we had no replacement talent wise to take up the slack.

Ballard said he was going to build from the trenches on out wasn't joking. This approach may not be popular to some but it is a blessing to others.

It's definitely a good plan. Watch the press conference if you haven't yet. Ballard and Reich do a good job of talking about Day 2 of the draft and explaining their plans for the team. The draft makes perfect sense when they talk about it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

2 players we could probably have drafted in rounds 4 and 5. Not round 2. 2 other starters were surely available when we reached for those 2. Hey I hope I'm wrong. But those 2 picks are going to haunt the Colts.

If you think any NFL team hits on every pick they make you are sadly mistaken. Out of a seven pick draft if a team gets two starters and two starters down the road, it is a successful draft.

I think you are confusing Madden to the real NFL.

2 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

3 starters out of first 64 picks?...is that even worthy of a C grade? I can't believe with Colts needs at WR, and CB we failed to draft either. Did we not have the roster in the draft room?

You forget that Ballard is very good at evaluating CB talent.  He’s said previously he like there depth at the position.  I see us getting four possible five long term starters out of this.  The last two have to grow into it but they are going to learn from Mathis.  Smiths tape looks good and he’s really strong.  Could be a guy we move around in the line to cause match up issues. 

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The draft makes perfect sense when they talk about it.

Lol...

You mean, the things and decisions Ballard is making, makes sense if you pay a little bit of attention to what he has described as his philosophy?

I dont think some fans have got the memo yet...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

You mean, the things and decisions Ballard is making, makes sense if your pay a little bit of attention to what he has described as his philosophy?

I dont think some fans have got the memo yet...

lol

some never have that "duh" moment. :D

2 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

3 starters out of first 64 picks?...is that even worthy of a C grade? I can't believe with Colts needs at WR, and CB we failed to draft either. Did we not have the roster in the draft room?

Looks like somebody put some grumpy juice in the water supply of Southern Indianapolis.

3 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

So what you're saying is....

Your analysis based on reading blogs/mock drafts/maybe watching one game a week > Scouts who watch film, evaluate players year round and actually know what they're looking at.

Yeah, right. Hard to deem an opinion on a player credible or insightful when you miss his age by 5 years. We won't know anything until this guys get on the field, this team needs NFL talent up and down the roster, whether that talent is on the field for the first play of every game or not is irrelevant.

We built the trenches like we needed to. Meeks CB St Brown WR among others are still there We are going to protect Andrew and go after the opposing QB what's the problem?  

Nelson starts and Smith will to can't count on Jack. We may still grab a T although Smith saw time at RT at Auburn. 

Darius starts at LB we still grab a guy like Avery/Griffin. 

Turay will surprise watch it happen Lewis another rotational pass rusher. Keep them fresh and fast get the QB That's the name of the game protect yours punish theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1