Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still don't have a starting 2nd CB...

It was a weird pick to me - but not because of the position. It was because I didn't rate Turay as a 2nd round talent. Josh Sweat and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo seemed like better edge rushers to me, if we were dead set on an edge rusher. 

Hopefully Ballard & Co are right on this guy! 

6 hours ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Nor a 2nd starting WR, nor a starting RB. Lorenzo Carter on the board and we reach again for a situational pass rusher? Ummm stupid pick there.

wow you must be a fortune teller. How would you know if we don't already have two starting CBs on the D? have you seen the future how our 4-3 will be played? or are you still dwelling in the madden fantasy world?

10 minutes ago, wig said:

You think Jackson at 37 or Oliver at 49 would have been reaches?

Not on my board(had both as 1st round value). The problem is we don't draft by my or your or anyone else's here board - we draft by Ballard's board. I don't know where they were on his board. But from what I've seen I have to assume he had higher value on the other players we selected. Those picks Ballard made seem much more like BPA picks than needs(reaches) to me simply because neither guard(Braden Smith) nor DE(Lewis and Turay) were very high on my list of needs). Cornerback for example would have been no. 1 or 2 need on my board... and he didn't pick any CB... so... I just have to assume he didn't value them this highly. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Not on my board(had both as 1st round value). The problem is we don't draft by my or your or anyone else's here board - we draft by Ballard's board. I don't know where they were on his board. But from what I've seen I have to assume he had higher value on the other players we selected. Those picks Ballard made seem much more like BPA picks than needs(reaches) to me. 

Not sure I agree. Ballard emphatically wanted to build up each front, and likely did so in lieu of better players at other positions. I think the biggest disconnect between Ballard and fans like myself is what the actual needs are. 

All that means is I'm in wait and see mode - hoping he's right and I'm wrong - instead of being stoked that we landed some guys I was personally pumped for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wig said:

Not sure I agree. Ballard emphatically wanted to build up each front, and likely did so in lieu of better players at other positions. I think the biggest disconnect between Ballard and fans like myself is what the actual needs are. 

All that means is I'm in wait and see mode - hoping he's right and I'm wrong - instead of being stoked that we landed some guys I was personally pumped for. 

THis is actually a very good point - this is the other possibility - that we evaluate our needs in a significantly different fashion than Ballard. But then again - there were rumors around the Senior Bowl saying that Ballard considered LB and CB as huge needs and that he wanted to come out of the draft with multiple of both and after 5 picks we've only gotten 1 LB. I don't know... I guess we will see what he does today. 

I'm in a similar situation as you with regards to my hopes that he's right and I'm wrong on the evaluations, because I had 3 top 10 players on my board there to be picked at 36 and 37 and instead he went with a 3d round guard and 2nd round linebacker(by my board). I guess... it's always fun to root for the players you've liked most to land on your team but I personally have no illusions that my 'board' and evaluations are better than Ballard's or that I have all the information he has so if I'm trying to be rational rather than emotional I should have no problem being stoked for the guys we actually selected. Like them or not we should root for them to succeed. 7

Right now Ballard's resume is not very expansive and from the little we have I would say his talent evaluations have been to a huge degree a success... especially with free agents and Jacobi/Dorsett trade. Until I'm given reasons to seriously doubt his evaluations(multiple failed drafts with little to no contributors on the roster like Grigson had) I am happy to just go with the flow and root for the players he selects for the Colts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Nick Nelson, DaVonte Harris, JC Jackson (character), Dane Cruikshank, and a few others are available beginning day 3.  

Hairston was a 5th round pick IIRC.

This is where my frustration starts. People act like the draft is over after day 2. We have some good players on the roster from rounds 4 and 5. We will get 3 more good players from those rounds today. 

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

We’re talking about getting a 2nd starting outside CB and I’m not even sure we have a 1st starting outside CB. 

Seriously?

His name is Quincy Wilson.   He's one starter.   The other for right now is Pierre Desir.

We're not running the same defense as last year and we're asking our corners to do different things.   With our current system we are likely in better shape than you think.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Track Guy said:

It was a weird pick to me - but not because of the position. It was because I didn't rate Turay as a 2nd round talent. Josh Sweat and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo seemed like better edge rushers to me, if we were dead set on an edge rusher. 

Hopefully Ballard & Co are right on this guy! 

I guess Basham is not going to be here long based on the draft last night.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

His name is Quincy Wilson.   He's one starter.   The other for right now is Pierre Desir.

We're not running the same defense as last year and we're asking our corners to do different things.   With our current system we are likely in better shape than you think.

Imo I don’t think he’s proven himself yet. Part of that is Pagano’s fault and part of it is Quincy’s. I want to see more with him before I jump on the “Quincy is a #1 CB” bandwagon. He’s definitely going to start, but is he going to be a true #1 caliber CB like everyone here thinks? That’s what I want to wait on. I expect him to make a jump this year in our new system like you said. 

36 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I guess Basham is not going to be here long based on the draft last night.

No...   Ballard talked last night about having 7-8 pass rushers...  and Ballard has spoken highly of Basham at the pre-draft meeting with the media...  he still has a future with the team.

We could still sign Brashaud Breeland...   he's still available because of a foot/ankle injury back in mid-April.

If he's better, he'd be a natural fit for the Colts.     Both NFLN and ESPN ranked him in the 20s of available free agents.  And he's a zone corner.  

If healthy, there is talent there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We could still sign Brashaud Breeland...   he's still available because of a foot/ankle injury back in mid-April.

If he's better, he'd be a natural fit for the Colts.     Both NFLN and ESPN ranked him in the 20s if available free agents.  And he's a zone corner.  

If healthy, there is talent there.

Two other names that came to my mind for maybe 1 year deals are Dominique Rodgers Cromartie and Jeremy Lane. Ballard did claim Pierre Desir off the Seahawks PS in September. Jeremy Lane is only 27, he might be inclined to look towards him because of that. DRC is experienced enough to fit our system too and makes plays vs the run as well.

• Like 2

The cb's that we have should fit well in our new defense. I think it will also save TJ Greens job in Indy. Hopefully being more productive with his speed and athleticism. We need another ball hawk safety to go along with Hooker just as bad as a cb with Geathers playing down in the box. In a Tampa 2 the safeties have to cover a lot more room and the corners don't necessarily have to be elite shut down cb's but they better be able to come up and tackle in the zone more so. 

Hopefully we pick up a couple DB's that fit the system.

With the Colts new found ability to run at will between the tackles, controlling the line of scrimmage, moving the chains, getting those 3rd and short 1st downs, keeping the defense off the field, winning the time of possession battle, winning the field position battle, punching it in at the goal line, setting up play action, scoring 50 points every game, the Colts don't need a #2 corner back. They can play defense with 10 guys.